Gerrard has more points this season - at the same stage - than the last three times we won the league.

It’s really unfortunate for Gerrard and it’s something we need to appreciate. But it doesn’t cover the utterly bizarre tactics and game management since our return this year and inability to learn lessons in this league.

I understand what you’re saying OP but these are different days.
still shows it’s possible albeit unlikel.
I have said its gone now, part of me still dreams

Quality of opposition may be lower than previous years.

HOWEVER, hatred towards our football club is significantly higher than ever, and teams strive to take points off us when they play us (especially the likes of aberdeen, Killie, hearts etc). No matter how off form they are, they go into a game against us like it’s a final.

Poorer standard of opposition has to be taken into account.

Which opposition have got significantly poorer ?

Celtic have 10 more points
St Mirren have 10 more points
Livingston have 6 more points
Motherwell have 8 more points
Hamilton have 1 more point

Hibs are a point worse. Aberdeen are 8 worse off. Hearts are 25 points worse off.

Last edited:
How strong are the other teams in comparison from then and now?

Find these kind of stats pretty pointless as we have dropped five points to the team bottom of the league ffs.

we have improved, most of the SPFL teams have gotten worse.
Will we win the league this season?....no
may as well produce a possession stats table showing us top, it's Warburton-esqe, it lacks a plan B

How many points could we have been if it wasn't for some terrible refereeing decisions? Yes we've not played great since the break but the Morelos goal on Wednesday should have seen us get 3 points

Not the way we defended at their second goal it was schoolboy football beat by a punt from their keeper.
we couldn't finish our tea we had 14 shots on target.

Times have drastically changed since then the standard of the league has vastly deteriorated from 10 years ago and it’s getting worse.

The SPFL is probably one of the worst leagues in the whole of Europe right now excluding the likes of Gibraltar and smaller principalities.

Whatever happened to the booming football we were told about if Rangers were voted out 8 years ago?

And if it had been any other season but last years, Liverpool would likely be the reigning EPL champions.

The fact is, historical stats are meaningless. It's this season that's matters and our current point total doesn't look to be anywhere good enough to win the league.

Look, I want Gerrard to be give 1 more year as I think he's building a good squad (on a very limited budget compared to them), but if you think that we're anywhere near as good as the last 3 title winning squads...we're not!

Poorer standard of opposition has to be taken into account.

I dont believe that to be the case at all. Aberdeen and Motherwell are on track to have the same points total as 3rd and 4th place sides from that era.
The issue is celtic are far better than they were and have a ridiculous financial advantage and squad size due to the situation of the last 8 years.

We are still playing catch up to that. They just posted a profit of £25m despite spending £15m plus this season and no CL money for 2 seasons in a row.

We meanwhile are signing guys from Hibs on loan.

We are progressing well. The recent slump is overplayed due to celtics performances.

Lessons have clearly been learned.

Otherwise we wouldn't be 9 points better off same stage last season.

No, we have more investment into the squad which has thrown in 3 more wins.

our tactics are still ultra negative, we still withdraw during play, we still don’t press, we still don’t realise how to match up in midfield. We still can’t make substitutions and influence the game.

How strong are the other teams in comparison from then and now?

Find these kind of stats pretty pointless as we have dropped five points to the team bottom of the league ffs.

We lost at home to ICT who were bottom of the league the last time we won the league.

If SG realised that matches v Kilmarnock and Aberdeen are not like playing Hamilton, Ross County, St Johnstone, we'd have even more points. Under SG, v Killie and Aberdeen, have taken 20 points from a possible 42 points, that tells you where our problems lie. 22 points lost to Killie and Aberdeen when we have accumulated a deficit of 16 points to Celtic (assuming we win our game in hand).

If SG realised that matches v Kilmarnock and Aberdeen are not like playing Hamilton, Ross County, St Johnstone, we'd have even more points. Under SG, v Killie and Aberdeen, have taken 20 points from a possible 42 points, that tells you where our problems lie. 22 points lost to Killie and Aberdeen when we have accumulated a deficit of 16 points to Celtic (assuming we win our game in hand).

Awful stats Killie just set up the way they did under Clarke and Gerrard has still not learned how to combat it.

That doesn’t take into account the decline in quality of the ‘other 10’. The Bheasts are taking more points from the rest than either of us did a decade ago, we aren’t.

Any Walter team from 2007-2011 would wipe the floor with our current team.

No, we have more investment into the squad which has thrown in 3 more wins.

our tactics are still ultra negative, we still withdraw during play, we still don’t press, we still don’t realise how to match up in midfield. We still can’t make substitutions and influence the game.

3 more wins, a cup final appearence and yet more progression in Europe including wins AND remaining unbeaten against Feyenoord and Porto over 4 games.

Last three weeks doesn't alter that fact. It's been a horrible 3 weeks but I'm not going to sit here and kid myself that we're not learning anything as a team.

We've scored more goals, conceded less goals, gained more points.

Do people honestly think the quality of teams in this league hasn’t changed significantly in the last 10 years?

Surprised at that.

Well they wouldn't have that much freedom from a simple goal kick if we were defending a lead instead of chasing a winner or at least you'd hope not

They did and they scored from it, our poor finishing after having 14 shots on target is our problem we can look for blame everywhere else but our players upfront aren't contributing enough.

Wow. Some teams got worse, some teams got better in the last decade. Shock horror.

Who got better? Teams like Livingston who simply have to put in a plastic pitch and 11 men behind the ball to get into the top 6?

Aye very good. The overall quality has decreased significantly.

3 more wins, a cup final appearence and yet more progression in Europe including wins AND remaining unbeaten against Feyenoord and Porto over 4 games.

Last three weeks doesn't alter that fact. It's been a horrible 3 weeks but I'm not going to sit here and kid myself that we're not learning anything as a team.

Losing to Hearts after drawing there earlier in the season? dropping 4 points to Aberdeen already after losses and draws to them last season suggests nothing learned, 4 wins in 10 against Kilmarnock including another defeat at Rugby Park after 2 there last season? To
me this doesn’t really paint a good picture of a management team learning from their mistakes.

That doesn’t take into account the decline in quality of the ‘other 10’. The Bheasts are taking more points from the rest than either of us did a decade ago, we aren’t.

Any Walter team from 2007-2011 would wipe the floor with our current team.
It also doesn't take into account points lost/gained by referee's poor officilating.

or where we were at 2 years ago.

Or the financial differences between both clubs then and now.

There's 2 sides to every coin

Back