Gerrard inherited the toughest job in the history of Rangers FC

Understand him not wanting to be named in the same breath as Walter but what he's doing here is brilliant regardless.

Best to just let him get on with it for now and when he leaves we can look back on it all and start labelling him a legend!

When Steven Gerrard was given the job, Dk and the rest of the board gave him time to put a structure in place to build the club from the bottom up, in my opinion this was much more important than stopping their worthless 10 in a row, what has been achieved in a very short space of time has been remarkable,, we are going to win 55 and are feared in Europe again, we have been helped by their stupidity and arrogance, but I suspect our management team and board are viewing a much bigger picture than our smelly neighbours.?

The job Gerrard has done must not be underestimated.

He took over absolute dross against a very dominant Celtic.

He improved Europe immediately and has slowly rebuilt the squad.

Love the guy - hope he stays for many a year

He surely must be up there with Willie Waddell in terms of Europe ?

Quite phenomenal.

And that cash - close to 40m - has basically funded our player purchases / development.

An incredible man, and his incredible team.

Always thought it would take him at least 3 transfer windows to turn it around. Thats why I wasn't wanting rid of him the 2nd half of last season. That was his first 'failure' at the club. He deserved more time.

Agree.

And to me, that was caused by our financial constraints not allowing him to get a proper squad of players.

We’re now close to that.

He’s shown the intelligence and maturity to examine where he went wrong in the last 2 seasons and make changes to what he was doing. Combined with the many other things he got right in those seasons, we are now reaping those rewards.

And he’s not done yet, not by a long way. Looking forward to the summer transfer window and the chance to recruit better players with the carrot of CL football next season and I’m very confident we can see off any likely opponents in the qualifiers to get to the group stage where we belong.

Comparing this to where we were when he took over gives an idea of the scale of his achievements, but what is most encouraging of all is that he has looked at the whole operation of the club as it relates to footballing matters and put in a proper structure which will serve us well (hopefully) for many years to come.

He’s shown the intelligence and maturity to examine where he went wrong in the last 2 seasons and make changes to what he was doing. Combined with the many other things he got right in those seasons, we are now reaping those rewards.

And he’s not done yet, not by a long way. Looking forward to the summer transfer window and the chance to recruit better players with the carrot of CL football next season and I’m very confident we can see off any likely opponents in the qualifiers to get to the group stage where we belong.

Comparing this to where we were when he took over gives an idea of the scale of his achievements, but what is most encouraging of all is that he has looked at the whole operation of the club as it relates to footballing matters and put in a proper structure which will serve us well (hopefully) for many years to come.
Totally agree. I really look forward to the next squad additions.

I am of the strong opinion that we, as a support, must also praise the board for standing by SG and his backroom team given the continued trophy barren spell of our first 2 years of his spell. We are now reaping the benefits of their trust in the management team with this current season being beyond most of our collective thoughts at the beginning of the campaign.

Other than the blip against St.Midden, we have been absolutely relentless both at home and abroad and I for one, thoroughly enjoying every minute as it has been such a long road back to where we belong as the number 1 club in the country.

The players interviews sometimes give a bit of insight to Gerrards intelligence. I think it was Ryan Kent who said last night that they had been told to develop chemistry between each other. That is fantastic management, and vital in building a winning team.

Gerrard and his team along with the board and the support by the time and money given to them have managed to absolutely destroy celtic they have imploded because of the pressure we have put on them ,not only results wise but also there losing their hero LENNON AND THEIR HEAD HONCHo LIEWELL they are completely lost and the best thing about it is they don't know how it happened

Ally had the worst situ any Rangers manager has ever dealt with, don’t get me wrong what Stevie has produced in such a short time is superb, and of course he had it tough with the gap v them, but he has had a board he can trust.
That might be true from a footballing perspective, but it doesn’t remotely compare to what Willie Waddell had to deal with in 1971.

I think the OP’s point is valid. No other manager in our history has picked up such a mess when they first arrived.

That might be true from a footballing perspective, but it doesn’t remotely compare to what Willie Waddell had to deal with in 1971.

I think the OP’s point is valid. No other manager in our history has picked up such a mess when they first arrived.
McCoist.

The players interviews sometimes give a bit of insight to Gerrards intelligence. I think it was Ryan Kent who said last night that they had been told to develop chemistry between each other. That is fantastic management, and vital in building a winning team.

Agree Will, and you can see that so clearly now, whether it’s Morelos/Kent, Aribo/Morelos, Borna/Kent, Tav/Aribo, etc.

You see these little subtle passes & movements in the attacking areas every single match.

Whoever is the manager when we win our title back after working our way back from the bottom League is going to be a legend simple as that.

He's only got seven points to go to legendary status.

Probably true, but look how that worked out.

Buying over the hill experienced pros to take on part time teams.

Gerrard & McCoist’s performances in the circumstances they were confronted with are night & day mate.
So were the funds available to them to sign players. Gerrard got more to spend in his first window than McCoist over his entire reign.

He's done a great job and I rate him far higher than Walter Smith.

Jock Wallace and Alex McLeish also faced major challenges and succeeded.

So were the funds available to them to sign players. Gerrard got more to spend in his first window than McCoist over his entire reign.

True.

Yet for the competitions we were playing in you could argue salary wise McCoist got more.

And as well as embarrassments such as Raith Rovers, our style of play was absolutely horrific to watch. Many of these lower league teams outplayed us football wise.

Player development under Ally ? Despite the perfect environment for it.

As managers they are at opposite ends of the spectrum for me personally.

I think McCoist and maybe even Jock Wallace might disagree.

I know McCoist inherited a decent team but months later he had the worst shit show ever faced by a Rangers manager in front of him.
McCoist did have a massive job back then, no doubt on that, but as a manager he was woefully inept tactically and tbh he failed in that aspect of his duties.
Gerrard has virtually rebuilt the whole playing side of the club and has put in place good foundations for the future wellbeing of that side of things.

True.

Yet for the competitions we were playing in you could argue salary wise McCoist got more.

And as well as embarrassments such as Raith Rovers, our style of play was absolutely horrific to watch. Many of these lower league teams outplayed us football wise.

Mate I could not agree more.

I know McCoist inherited a decent team but months later he had the worst shit show ever faced by a Rangers manager in front of him.

Was McCoist EXPECTED to stop Celtic's dominance though? Gerrard basically had to stop '10 in a row' no matter what. When you look at the position Rodgers left Celtic in it's a remarkable achievement in how far we've come under Gerrard.

I agree McCoist had a lot of issues in the background to deal with. But he made an arse of it at times as well. Some of our signings in the lower divisions were embarrassing and the contracts we were handing out were ridiculous as well.

Quite often the first reply captures the mood of the forum.
This one might be the most juvenile and embarrassing I’ve ever seen on FF.

Dear Mr Cooper_11 I apologise at my attempt at humour on this glorious day.. I will refrain all attempts in future to lighten the mood..

Your's sincerely

WalterSandy ..

True.

This player development thing is a massive myth. We were expected to win every game 5 or 6 nil and anything else was viewed as failure. Players were given chances to impress and many simply weren't good enough over the course. Guys like Telfer, Gallagher, Naismith, Little, Perry, Mitchell, Hutton, were given games and weren't up to it.

As managers they may well be at different ends of the spectrum but we're talking about the job they inherited, not their performance thereafter.

McCoist took over at a time when we were scrambling about for frees and dross on loan, on the brink of financial meltdown, had a bank placeman on the board and having all the off-field stuff going on.

Gerrard took over at a point when we were on the way back up, things were improving off the pitch, we weren't reliant on bringing in the fourth and fifth choice players we wanted and financially we were in a stronger position to go out and spend on the likes of Katic, Goldson, Barisic etc

McCoist maybe had it hardest of all off the field but on the field its the easiest job any Rangers manager has had or probably ever will have and he made a pigs ear of it.

"Maybe" ????

McCoist wasn't just a Rangers manager, he was a dozen other things at the same time while he had no backing from directors who were intent on raping our club rather than rebuilding it.

Yeah - must have been a piece of piss watching all our players leave and cobble a squad together and not even knowing if we would be allowed to play football.

Stevie G has been fantastic for Rangers - as Rangers have been fantastic for Stevie G. His record in Europe is superb and we will soon be champions again. He has brought structure to the football side where before there was a mess.

This journey or rollercoaster we have all been on a rough and rugged road we have traveled, with some truly awfully lows that don’t bear thinking about. To where we are now today and in the very edge of greatness and back in our rightful place. SG and his staff assisted and backed by the board have turned us round and dramatically improved the club from top to bottom and inside out. He has learned from the mistakes, setbacks and developed along the way. It was never going to be an overnight fix and we as a support had to be patient and accept, but tell you what this pub team with a rookie manager are doing just fine. And I’m loving it!!!!

Gerrard will rightly go down in our history as the man who won us 55 after so many years of misery and who made us a force in europe. He will be a legend and rightly so. I am so glad he is our manager.

However, he did not take over the toughest job in even our recent history. There was no expectation on him to win immediately given the differences in our budgets and he was backed substantially. This was proven when he didn’t win anything in the first two years yet still kept his job and the backing of most of the fans (again rightly so because of the improvement we could see).

His achievement might go down as one of the biggest in our history but he didn’t have anything like the immediate pressure of McCoist or even (on a much smaller scale) a Warburton etc (who had to completely rebuild a side (in one summer) that had failed to qualify from the championship and yet still would have been sacked if he hadn’t got us out of the championship at the first chance).

Last edited:

McCoist, got the job at the wrong time for him, players having to be sold, team weakened, and all the other shite going on about us. But I would say he was the right man at the right time for us. How that man managed to hold it all together, is a perfect insight ,into what Rangers mean to him, and us. He doesn't get the credit he is due in some quarters. The only thing he done wrong was not to give that sharleton white ,a good doing.

Understand him not wanting to be named in the same breath as Walter but what he's doing here is brilliant regardless.

Best to just let him get on with it for now and when he leaves we can look back on it all and start labelling him a legend!
McCoist was the only Rangers man at the club when the parasites ran the club. We owe him for protecting our other titles and trophies from the scum that would have sold everthing and anything. As a football manager I think he got it all wrong though, we should have developed young players.

So you are a legend and up there with Walter et al, even if you don't yet realise it.

You have probably been so focussed on the job at hand for the last 3 years that you don't yet realise the scale of your achievement and what you took on to where it is now.
He has been an appointment that is as historic as the Gallant Pioneers and Bill Struth in the story of the club.
That is where he stands, he has been that important.

I am amazed at how much the legacy media want to look away from his achievements, they simply cannot stomach them.
Yet his story is one that journalists normally crave and desire to write about.
It will be journalists down south who will in time write the story, which tells us much about the hate and the prejudice blighting Sturgeon's Scotland.

Super Ally inherited Smiths team that have just won 3 tittles in a row. Super Allys job then quickly became the hardest as we all know what happened.

I agree with OP Gerrard certainly inherited the toughest job in my lifetime anyway.

Last edited:
Back