Gerrard interview after this Benfica game

Laudrup11Cooper

Superb interview.

Not down beat at all, and offers so much praise for Benfica, and realizes as most of us do, that they, Benfica do belong more in the Champions League, and are a class act.

Would happily have settled for two draws, and again recognizes how far we have come in such a short space of time, and says' I can't ask anymore from my players'.

Such a contrast to what is happening across the other side of the city.

We are in such a good place going forward.

Benfica could very well be the best team we will play this season and they couldnt live with us at times in both games.

Another thing, Morelos wouldn't look out of place in that Benfica side.
I’d day the same for Tav and Borna. In fact they would fit right in to their style of football.

Reactions: GF7
It was excellent and very positive. Puts it all into perspective a bit when he is praising the players and saying he would’ve taken 2 points at the start against a team of their quality.

Benfica could very well be the best team we will play this season and they couldnt live with us at times in both games.

Another thing, Morelos wouldn't look out of place in that Benfica side.
As much as I love Alfredo, he doesn't have the same first touch or passing ability of the Portuguese team

We went toe to toe with a bloody good European side and did not look out of place,

Should haves/ could haves ballocks - we are a very good side. Work to do? Yes, but we are fantastic to watch.

I love my Glasgow Rangers.
Amen! We’re a world away from Fran Sandaza, failing in the league playoffs, Pedro in a hedge and all the other trauma of the past years. Tonight was another little glimpse that our team is back.

When he was asked a question on H&H he said he thought the players tired at the end, yet he made zero subs. I found that a little perplexing as it wasn't just the midfield that were knackered (pity so many were missing there for the bench).

Gerrard has completely restored our name and our pride in Europe - his record in European games is close to sensational - thank you Steven Gerrard & coaching team.

In punditry style I was "sitting there thinking" there have been a few games where we've lost goals in the last 10 minutes of games - off the top of my head the 2 games against Benfica, the 2 games against Young Boys, Rapid away, Leverkusen & Galatasary at home, there may be others.

I fully appreciate these are good teams we are playing but in the search for perfection if only we could have held out in these games - is it tiredness, being a bit more game savvy & seeing it out, the use of substitutes - who knows but it's absolutely brilliant just to be able to discuss these games!

When he was asked a question on H&H he said he thought the players tired at the end, yet he made zero subs. I found that a little perplexing as it wasn't just the midfield that were knackered (pity so many were missing there for the bench).
Possibly. but He also intimated that he could see no one on the bench tonight he thought could change the game for us to secure a win.That might be a little disheartening for the bench to hear, but we are still not there yet, even in personnel.But games of this ilk against top opposition will only benefit the players going forward. Hopefully in this competition.

With the exception of Bayern Leverkussen who to me were a CL team, we haven't faced that good an opposition and gone toe to toe. Well in these games against Benfica, we have gone toe to toe with a CL side.
Something as Gerrad says... rightly to be proud of.

I said in the match thread that, at times, we show our inexperience at this level. As much as the 2 draws are superb results, a more savvy european side would have seen at least one of those matches out. However, we're still growing and maturing as a team, still ahead of the curve.

I thought our midfield was absolutely incredible last night.
Davis snapping into every one. Recyclying the ball, keeping calm under pressure.
Kamara going about his business as he does. his weight of pass is a thing of beauty. Always manages to wriggle into space and play a perfectly weighted pass.
Arfield absolutely outstanding again. Bags of energy, not giving them a second. Tackling, interceptions, clever one twos.

Id fancy another go at Leverkusen with this team

As much as there was a bit of statues at the second goal you won’t see intricate play like that from many other sides who come to Ibrox, and not just this season.
I thought the same, it was rapid one touch passing. All teams make defensive mistakes, Benfica capitilsed on the vast majority of ours in both games. They are an exceptionally clinical side.

Balogun made umpteen mistakes on Sunday against Aberdeen that went unpunished. The step up in quality of opposition is huge yet we are not looking out of place.

As much as there was a bit of statues at the second goal you won’t see intricate play like that from many other sides who come to Ibrox, and not just this season.
I thought we were superb at tracking runs because their intricate link ups were superb and we did well to stick with it,so very difficult to pick faults,if there is one it's that we didn't keep hold of the ball for long spells and I thought we were flat.

you still going on about this. he was about to make the change at 2-0 but when they scored he stopped. Obviously didn't feel it was right thing to do. get over it

I thought we were superb at tracking runs because their intricate link ups were superb and we did well to stick with it,so very difficult to pick faults,if there is one it's that we didn't keep hold of the ball for long spells and I thought we were flat.
I did comment on the match thread saying you’re very disciplined in terms of getting back into shape when out of possession but as you say if a team is adept at keeping the ball and technically gifted it’s impossible to keep them out all game.

Who do you bring on though? Helander might have been the only option but aside from that I don't think it was a game to bring in Hagi or Itten into the frontline, or Bassey at left back. The 11 on the field were the right team to continue with at that point. If it got to 87/88 minutes then you start making subs to kill time but it was too early for that at 80.

It was a fantastic display by us Benfica are a top side they were always in the game even at two nil.We could’ve maybe should’ve won,but isn’t that great, the manager’s assessment was spot on .We are a very good side,I feel we just need Alfie to start firing in the goals then we will be unstoppable.

I thought our players looked out on their feet as well by then. That usually means gaps and unable to just do that extra yard to close people out.

I thought our players looked out on their feet as well by then. That usually means gaps and unable to just do that extra yard to close people out.
That’s probably to be expected against a team of the calibre, home or away. I think 2 points from the games is outstanding as in all honesty, when the draw was made I felt it was going to be a case of Rangers get 1 point off them from the two games and go through second. Nice to be proven wrong.

That’s probably to be expected against a team of the calibre, home or away. I think 2 points from the games is outstanding as in all honesty, when the draw was made I felt it was going to be a case of Rangers get 1 point off them from the two games and go through second. Nice to be proven wrong.
Indeed. For the first time this year our bench didn’t look strong when looking to solve a problem of a strong finishing team with the pace, quality and fitness of Benfica. Maybe if Zungu, Jack or Aribo were fit it would have helped.

The thing for Gerrard and his coaching staff is that this is the platform level from which we now learn the most. There is gonna be some bumps along the road in the UEL but to be fair we’ve ridden them out fairly well so far.

We may get a shot at the UCL next year so these experiences, both the highs and the lows, are the best prep we are Gonna get before potentially trying to mix it with the big boys.

If we can stay undefeated in this group or maybe even top the group then that’s no mean feat! The respect for our team is growing regardless.

I think realistically speaking we are a comfortable last 32 UEL team. BUT we are still progressing positively. Whether financial barriers dictate that we would be UCL group stage fodder I’m not so sure but I hope we get to find out.

Im so proud of this team right now. And lm not sure we are anyway near peaking yet.

Did anyone else see at the end of the game Gerrard went to fist pump the Benfica coach and Jorge Jesus said something to Stevie and his face went into a rage.

Wonder what he said to Gerrard? Must have been something pretty bad because the other Benfica coach was trying to calm Gerrard down.

Back