Gerrard/Lampard

Not that its happening - Frank's got a bit of class and wouldn't go near that shit hole....but it would generate a huge amount of interest in the game on Scotland if it did.
And our gaffer would wipe the floor with him

That’s not the question I’m asking mate?
In answer to your question,I can't see Lampard getting the better of Gerrard, no doubt it would appeal to audiences down south. I don't think he'd cope with the pressure, a lot of people down south have no idea how passionate fans are here or of the intensity of the game here,maybe since Stevie has been here they might have some idea,but I think a lot of managers underestimate the pressures of managing either of the old firm.

Lampard has his weaknesses like Gerrard did in his first two seasons although you could see Gerrard had a vision and structure. There was an identity about our game

Watching Derby and Chelsea under Lampard was a bit of a mess - albeit I never watched them week in week out. He’s clearly learning, like Gerrard is too.

It’s Scottish football, the opposition is dire so
you’ll get away with a lot more than what you will in the English Premiership. Lampard will have contacts and he’ll be a pull for players, just like Gerrard is.

Genuinely think he's more chance managing us. He'll probably be out of work for a few months, maybe 6 tops. Take a championship job for 2 years, by that time there's a reasonable chance Gerrard might have gone to Liverpool and Frank needs a shot at winning some titles to get a top gig back in England

I don't think Lampard would even give the Yahoos a 2nd thought. It ain't happening.

They're getting Alex Neil, O'Neill/Keane, Jack Ross or some obscure European like Deila.

Reality is going to smack these chimps flush on the face soon enough.

They have completely blown their opportunity to end us and will now have to suffer the consequences.
Love this post.

I totally disagree with your first paragraph. There were discontent/murmurs and questions were being asked after the exit to Hears in the Scottish but any calls for his head were from a tiny minority.

A loud minority on FF. There was a wee clique on here who seemingly couldn't go a day without f*cking up about mentality, refusing to even acknowledge he had improved us.

Just watched BBC Brekky sports report and Pep was asked about Lampard's sacking. His reply was basically it is alright having a project but you have to keep winning. This comment made me realise just lucky we are to have the board we have who despite not winning anything in 2 years have backed our boss to the hilt. When 55 arrives a big thank you to all the board and friends of Rangers who have had a part to play.
The " keep winning " quote makes me laugh.
Peps record in the champions League is a shocker for not winning enough game's in CL, yet he's still in a job.

The mentally challengeds are not as big a pull as their support would try to convince you
Lampard will not go there IMO

Had they listened to the fans Gerrard would have been sacked this time last year despite clear progress being made each season

The Lampard situation is different though, he spent a lot of money on some extremely talented young players only to play them out of position in a side that concedes goals for fun
If that's the case, Lampard should never have been given the job.
You can't bring in a Legend of the club, that's only managed Derby for 5 minutes and not give him 2 years at the very least to turn things around....... madness. !

Had they listened to the fans Gerrard would have been sacked this time last year despite clear progress being made each season

The Lampard situation is different though, he spent a lot of money on some extremely talented young players only to play them out of position in a side that concedes goals for fun
Lampard spent more in one window than any other Chelsea manager I believe, 200m.

Hearing that Lampard alienated some players and didn't speak to fringe players and such makes me think we made a much better choice with Gerrard. Things went wrong when he was able to sign his own players and did so not based on players to fit his style and it ended up a mix match mess. With tactics not setup to maximise players abilities, or signing the right players to fit his style. Shifting players out of their better positions just to get them in the team, such as Werner out wide and persisting with the likes of Kepa in goal. Apparently players complaining about a lack of tactical instruction as well.

Gerrard seems to be the polar opposite to that.

Last edited:
I had an argument last season with someone on here who wanted Gerrard out and Bilic in!

Often wonder what would've happened if the season played out as intended because it probably helped Gerrard keep his job.

Our fans were becoming disgruntled and the team looked devoid of confidence, partly because we were losing games we should have won and secondly, I felt that Gerrard publicly slating the team meant the dressing room were not pulling in the same direction.

This season, we've been excellent on all fronts and Celtic have completely collapsed.

Lampard should've got to the end of the season at Chelsea, he has earned that right as one of the Clubs all-time greats.

Unfortunately, Abramovic doesn't do patience when it comes to football managers and the rest, as they say, is history.
Aye i started a thread last year backing him too when the pressure was getting ramped up after our bad results after the new year. It was a bad run no one was denying it but we you would have to be mental to deny serious progress was being made.

Looking back on it now, this felt like a bit of a cross roads...

Followed up by the poorest performance of his reign against Hamilton at home as well. I don't think he would have been sacked by the board but its possible he would have walked if the performances deteriorated further and he felt his players didn't have the heart - which he had questioned himself after Tynecastle.

The best part of Frank getting sacked was Pat Nevin warning Chelsea to keep their hands off Steve Clarke. Said it with a straight face too. WTF. :))

The difference between Gerrard & Lampard?

One has a presence, an aura and one doesn't.

Still think it was way too soon for Frank to lose his job though

Aye i started a thread last year backing him too when the pressure was getting ramped up after our bad results after the new year. It was a bad run no one was denying it but we you would have to be mental to deny serious progress was being made.
Good on you, Mr Souness.

Thankfully, our Board were of similar opinion.

The difference between Gerrard & Lampard?

One has a presence, an aura and one doesn't.

Still think it was way too soon for Frank to lose his job though
I think that's unfair on Lampard.

He definitely has a presence and is a highly intelligent man who has been treated terribly by his Club.

He gave opportunities to Abraham, James, Mount and Gilmour that will probably be diminished now as Touchel will come in on the remit to win the PL.

I think that's unfair on Lampard.

He definitely has a presence and is a highly intelligent man who has been treated terribly by his Club.

He gave opportunities to Abraham, James, Mount and Gilmour that will probably be diminished now as Touchel will come in on the remit to win the PL.
I never said he was a poor manager, he's not.
He simply doesn't have the presence, the aura that Gerrard has, few do.

If that's the case, Lampard should never have been given the job.
You can't bring in a Legend of the club, that's only managed Derby for 5 minutes and not give him 2 years at the very least to turn things around....... madness. !
They gave him over £200m to turn things around and he wasted it

Werner and Havertz will come good eventually but it was obvious that was never happening under Lampard

Sometimes you have to stick with your plan and tough out the bad times in the belief it will bear fruit. I think that was always going to be the case with Stevie-G given he is a rookie to management. When you think about it, three years isn’t very long for a brand new manager to win their first title, but realistically that’s all they’re ever likely to get at a club the size of Rangers nowadays. However, despite the fact this season was last chance saloon I have the feeling the board might stand by him regardless on account of our performances in Europe

Some fans maybe, maybe the same ones on here who thought he should have been sacked after last week's Motherwell match or after the St Boo defeat.

I totally disagree with your first paragraph. There were discontent/murmurs and questions were being asked after the exit to Hears in the Scottish but any calls for his head were from a tiny minority.
That's the way I remember it.

The vast majority where still behind Gerrard imo.

Gerrard at Rangers was always a minimum 3 year project.

If he doesn't win anything this season he will go.

Thankfully that looks very unlikely.

I'm very meh on Lampard's sacking. On the one hand, he's maybe been a bit unlucky and deserved a bit of time after being the first manager at Chelsea to introduce academy products into the first team in god knows how long and getting a Champions League place. On the other, he isn't the first and 100% won't be the last manager to be given short shrift at Chelsea who do go through managers seemingly every one or two years, and probably would have never been near the job in normal circumstances like Chelsea have just returned to, given his managerial career amounted to taking Derby from 6th to 6th in his season there. If I was running Chelsea in their current position, and I was being honest with myself as to who the best manager available to take this current squad forward is, I don't think Lampard would be anywhere near the top of that list, so I understand the decision.

I think that's the key difference between him and Gerrard last year - we couldn't realistically say that there were obviously better options to take us forward than Gerrard, and the clear progress we'd made under him from season to season made it an easy decision to keep him, once any emotion or frustration at our performances post-January was removed from the equation. There was no evidence of Lampard being consistently able to improve that Chelsea squads performance, whereas Gerrard could point to European successes, growing consistency domestically and exponentially increasing the value of the squad as reasons we should keep him. Lampard qualifying for the Champions League with a squad that although he was unable to add to in the transfer market, but had finished 3rd and had won the Europa League the year before, was never going to be a good enough argument to keep him at Chelsea - no matter how many youngsters he gave opportunities to along the way.

Back