Gerrard - Multi-ball played its part

Bonnyloyal

Steven Gerrard insists he’d be crazy not to take advantage of UEFA ’s rule on the use of the multi-ball system.

The governing body allows host clubs to decide if they are using one ball or many in Europa League ties.

Gerrard is adamant it was a no-brainer as the ball kids recycled footballs at speed and allowed Rangers to keep Feyenoord under the cosh in the first half.

He said: “The multi-ball system makes a difference when you are trying to get your noses in front and it was our choice to go with it

“The home team is given the choice by UEFA and it would be very stupid of us not to use it in our favour, especially when teams such as Feyenoord come to Ibrox.

“We want to try and take them where they are not used to going

“They play in a technical league with a lower tempo and a game that’s more possession-based. We wanted to try and take them away from that and that’s exactly what we did. Multi-ball played its part.

It absolutely did. Clarke and McIness killed our momentum in several games last season by slowing the game down to tortoise speed and getting the crowd on the team's back. Unfortunately a lot of our fans play into their game plan.

Holt's team were time wasting early doors last week, taking a leaf out of their book. It's going to be something we need to deal with domestically this year. I actually think we'd piss the league if multi ball was allowed.

Last edited:
Steven Gerrard insists he’d be crazy not to take advantage of UEFA ’s rule on the use of the multi-ball system.

The governing body allows host clubs to decide if they are using one ball or many in Europa League ties.

Gerrard is adamant it was a no-brainer as the ball kids recycled footballs at speed and allowed Rangers to keep Feyenoord under the cosh in the first half.

He said: “The multi-ball system makes a difference when you are trying to get your noses in front and it was our choice to go with it

“The home team is given the choice by UEFA and it would be very stupid of us not to use it in our favour, especially when teams such as Feyenoord come to Ibrox.

“They play in a technical league with a lower tempo and a game that’s more possession-based. We wanted to try and take them away from that and that’s exactly what we did. Multi-ball played its part.
I wonder if you’re allowed to change this during the game.
Then back again if it suits.
Of course, I’d doubt it but, if it’s not written, it can be abused.
I recall SAF removing the ball boys in one game.

Is this something that can be introduced domestically? Even if it’s at the home teams discretion.

It absolutely did. Clarke and McIness killed our momentum in several games last season by slowing the game down to tortoise speed and getting the crowd on the teams back. Unfortunately a lot of our fans play into their game plan.

Holt's team were time wasting early doors last week, taking a leaf out of their book. It's going to be something we need to deal with domestically this year. I actually think we'd piss the league if multi ball was allowed.
Have you noticed the age most keepers take right from the off against us?
Every goal kick is taken from the side opposite the one where the ball goes out, they can never catch or even trap a ball passed to them by another player/ball boy etc.

It absolutely did. Clarke and McIness killed our momentum in several games last season by slowing the game down to tortoise speed and getting the crowd on the teams back. Unfortunately a lot of our fans play into their game plan.

We don't do ourselves any favours with the single ball though, we are too predictable and let teams get organised far too often. We wait for our centre backs to stroll up the pitch for every set piece around the opposition penalty box. We need to mix it up a bit, take the other team out their comfort zone.

Multi ball cost against Maribor under McCoist.
Last minute over there and they’ve got a throw.
Wallace picks up the ball and strolls onto the park.
In the meantime, Maribor have taken the throw and guy crosses for the goal.
During this time, Wallace, can’t even think to cheat by keeping the ball on the pitch and forcing the referee to stop the game!

Second minute.
It took a full minute to get the ball back in play.
Nothing unusual, of course, the managers mentioned above doing it even in their home games.

I doubt it, but I suppose nothing to stop the ball boys all spontaneously misplacing their balls or coming down with 'fatigue'. I would be going tonto if a team pulled that on us though.

It’s astonishing they won’t use it in Scotland. Remember Falkirk tried it and got hauled in front of the SFA for breaking the rules. So backwards.

Why don't they use it in Scotland? Affordability?

How expensive can it be to purchase a few extra footballs? Or am I missing something here?

They say it's due to money, but surely the balls would be provided by Mitre or something.

I honestly think it's down to the diddy teams not wanting as they'll lose a massive advantage of slowing the game down, can you imagine if we have a team camped in their own box at an away game and we can instantly restart the game at a throw in instead of waiting 20 seconds for the gimp in the home end hiding the ball.

O’squeal did it regularly at parkhead when they got their noses in front the ballboys disappeared.

Multi ball is only as good as the ballboys who return the ball. They can slow it right down if they want or speed kit up if required.

They say it's due to money, but surely the balls would be provided by Mitre or something.

I honestly think it's down to the diddy teams not wanting as they'll lose a massive advantage of slowing the game down, can you imagine if we have a team camped in their own box at an away game and we can instantly restart the game at a throw in instead of waiting 20 seconds for the gimp in the home end hiding the ball.

Yeah, I don't accept the money argument at all.

Scottish football is hardly rich but I fail to see how professional clubs maintaining a stadium and paying players thousands per week couldn't afford to purchase some more footballs.

It was obviously drilled into the players pre-match as they were taking throw ins very quickly. Would love to see more of it as it doesn't give teams time to get their defensive shape sorted. Must be knackering for the players though.

Will also have played its part in us tiring massively in the second half. Feyenoord will use it domestically whereas we never get the chance in this shithole

It was obviously drilled into the players pre-match as they were taking throw ins very quickly. Would love to see more of it as it doesn't give teams time to get their defensive shape sorted. Must be knackering for the players though.
A bit too quickly at times. We nearly lost a goal from a sloppy throw in at one stage

A bit too quickly at times. We nearly lost a goal from a sloppy throw in at one stage
To be honest it's a risk/ reward thing. You've more chance of creating something but there's also a chance that you'll lose it. I'd say the risk is definitely worth it.

We should have a hundred ball boys at home games.

Not quite multi ball but next best thing

Totally agree, I’m also a great believer in having ball boys who really know the game and are sat primed and ready to get the ball back to our players as quickly as possible and slow it down for the opposition, people will call that gamesmanship but you wouldn’t need to do it if others don’t do what they do.

Age is also an important factor in ball boys, the sport has changed and to have wee guys and girls who are there for all manner of reasons is unprofessional.

We face all manner of time wasting tactics constantly, thing I’ve noticed this year is that teams seem to be copying legia Warsaw, fall at the least we bump and take an age to get back to your feet, slows the game massively. The rattlers done it in the old firm game and was annoying as %^*&.

Second minute.
Nothing unusual, of course, the managers mentioned above doing it even in their home games.

This tactic drives me crazy. That mob must have used up at least 10 minutes of the 90 with their time-wasting last week.

The referees are as much to blame. The second time their keeper went into slo-mo, the ref should have booked him. Same in the second half, when they made a substitution. The hooked player - instead of leaving play from the nearest point - walked the full width of the park at the same speed as my 16-year old dog walks.

That, and players suddenly getting a near-terminal attack of cramp every few minutes, then jumping up right away, is no more or less than cheating. They are obviously being told to do that, so the club should be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute.

Our game really is draconian.

It's a huge reason why games v shite like livi and Aberdeen are diabolical games. No tempo to them at all

He schooled Stam.

Gerrard has all the makings of a very successful manager.

Hard not to love his thought processes and passion.
He does have the makings of a very successful manager but the old firm game tells you he still has a lot to learn. He has also improved significantly from last year where he could have been criticised of poor game management at times. We knew this when he signed and King made it clear too.

You use every advantage you can within the rules. I well remember what Souness did when he shortened the width of the pitch against Kiev Dynamo back in 1987. I also remember that in the late stages of the game against Juventus in 1978, we withdrew a number of the ball boys. It worked on both occasions.

Reactions: 8-1
Second minute.
Then they wonder where the fans are. That kind of attitude is ruining the game

Scottish football as usual lagging behind and not implementing this system

Makes the game more entertaining but we can’t allow that can we !!!

To be honest it's a risk/ reward thing. You've more chance of creating something but there's also a chance that you'll lose it. I'd say the risk is definitely worth it.
For us, doing most of the attacking, it’s got to be a plus.
Anything that stops the opposition getting back to shape has to be taken advantage of.

It's not as if you chuck them away at the end of a game. You have youth teams etc who need tons of balls to get through a season.
There is so much you can do with the balls.
Like I stated, a sponsor would love that association.
You could raffle them after the game or donate to charity and enjoy the PR.

For us, doing most of the attacking, it’s got to be a plus.
Anything that stops the opposition getting back to shape has to be taken advantage of.
Definitely, sometimes we'll give the ball away as we don't have much support but and on the other hand sometimes we'll carve open a good chance because the defence aren't in position. The reward is far higher than the risk if we're in the opponents half doing it, i.e. the reward could be a goal scoring chance whereas the risk is just that we give the ball away in the opponents half

This tactic drives me crazy. That mob must have used up at least 10 minutes of the 90 with their time-wasting last week.

The referees are as much to blame. The second time their keeper went into slo-mo, the ref should have booked him. Same in the second half, when they made a substitution. The hooked player - instead of leaving play from the nearest point - walked the full width of the park at the same speed as my 16-year old dog walks.

That, and players suddenly getting a near-terminal attack of cramp every few minutes, then jumping up right away, is no more or less than cheating. They are obviously being told to do that, so the club should be sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute.

It ruins the game as a spectacle but I'd be telling my players to do the exact same thing, especially at Ibrox. Someone made a good post on here after the game last week about how you can feel the mood shift if things aren't going our way even after half an hour.

Simple answer is to change the rules to two halves of 30 mins actual playing time, whereby the clock stops every time there is a foul or the ball goes out of play.

Players feigning injury to waste time would end instantly.

Back