Gerrard - Not interested in being top of the league

He's absolutely right - being top of the league means very little if you can't hold onto it. We need to just focus on winning.

He's also right about lacking the killer instinct. Where does that come from though?

He's absolutely right - being top of the league means very little if you can't hold onto it. We need to just focus on winning.

He's also right about lacking the killer instinct. Where does that come from though?
Steven Davis on jan 1

As usual, no sugar coating of the facts. Let's hope that come the end of the season honesty pays dividends.

That bit threw me as well - felt more of a dig, referring to Alfredo not by his name.
Maybe a wee bit of a public jibe to let him know the last sending off is not on?

Or maybe nothing.

Just love the fact he doesn't accept anything other than the highest of standards. Under this manager we will continue to improve until he achieves his ambitions

He gets it and knows what it takes.

Wednesday is huge, we can't go top twice then blow it next time out.

Last edited:
That sounded to me like he was putting pressure on the board to give him the opportunity of getting that quality.
It is much more difficult for the board to refuse him when the team is sitting at the top of the league and is without doubt going to be within striking distance when the winter break comes.

I think that Sadiq and Ejaria have gone earlier is his way of saying we need to strengthen.
Im happy we are top of the league but he's right. No point if we can't stay there.

When he said his mate was back during the week I thought he was referring to Pena as well, especially after seeing them picture together the other day.

Dont think he was getting at the board,just downright honesty,%^*& being on the top of the league if the players can't handle it,never heard such an honest manager in my lifetime brilliant!

Right to play it down as he knows his players are mentally fragile, I think this frustrates the hell out of him.

Same as Potch at Spurs, his team gubbed Man U, then thought they were the best them dropped silly points.
We beat Hearts then dropped silly points.
He’s telling his team that to continue winning is what it’s about, then at the end see where you are, in other words , focus and be clinical.

I love that statement, the reaction to going top recently was bordering on embarrassing, f**kin Hearts have been at the top longer than us this season. It will only ever matter if it's where we are at the end of May.

Being top of the league only matters if we are able to stay there. This group of players showed a weak mentality after going top 2 weeks ago.
Focussed minds are required now, not rhetoric or euphoria at being top of the league in December.

Good interview and reflects what we’re all thinking really.

I also think that he sends a message to the squad , without blowing smoke up their collective arses, that! We need to get on top and stay there , not resting on their inflated egos and laurels.

It's refreshing the way Gerrard isn't afraid to get tore into players. If they aren't doing enough or playing shit they deserve to be told so. Remember Wenger would never admit his players played poor, look how it turned out for him in the end. The Arsenal players knew no matter how they played they were safe from a ball booting

Back