Gerrard officially has the lowest loss percentage since Bill Struth (and other impressive stats).

a_weir

I have been tracking some comparative stats for a while now and thought I'd update everyone for the international break.

The highlights are:
  • Lowest loss % since Struth at 14.12%
  • Win % is currently at 61.18%, which is middle of the road but only a few more wins behind Smith's second reign (62.86%).
  • Lowest 'goals conceded per game' ever at 0.67 per game.
Anyway, stats are:

stats.jpg

As you'll see, draws have been our undoing and whilst it doesn't really say anything, I find the goals conceded really interesting.

Edit: in the interest of fairness, Warburton and Ally's results are top league seasons only (i.e. 12/13 to 15/16 completely discounted)

Edit 2: Journalists, get fucked, do not use this in your papers.

Last edited:
We are starting to turn a lot of draws into wins both domestically and in Europe too so the percentage will increase. We've only been beat by more than a single goal once or twice from my memory.

We are starting to turn a lot of draws into wins both domestically and in Europe too so the percentage will increase. We've only been beat by more than a single goal once or twice from my memory.

Yeah I’ve been tracking this for a while and the trend is really positive.

I have been tracking some comparative stats for a while now and thought I'd update everyone for the international break.

The highlights are:
  • Win % is currently at 61.18%, which is middle of the road but only a few more wins behind Smith's second reign (62.86%).
Anyway, stats are:

stats.jpg

As you'll see, draws have been our undoing and whilst it doesn't really say anything, I find the goals conceded really interesting.

Edit: in the interest of fairness, Warburton and Ally's results are top league seasons only (i.e. 12/13 to 15/16 completely discounted)

And, as someone else said in another post... those draws are mostly last year? We have turned them into wins, which is good and positive going forward

Twice I think.

Both 2-0 at home v Celtic and Aberdeen.

Can't remember any other game we have lost with more than a goal under Gerrard.

Should be noted that the Draw % for Gerrard being so high and the Win % being relatively low doesn’t tell the full story, he’s managed far more European games than McCoist, Warburton, Murty and Caixinha combined and so a lot of those draws (non-wins) will have been in the European qualifiers which have helped us progress.

He’s turned those Murty losses into draws last year which was a massive step forward.
Now if he can turn the draws into wins we are right in the mix for winning trophies again.

The highlights are:
Anyway, stats are:

stats.jpg

How are his stats for this season so far?
how does it compare to last season?
Would be interested to see- feels like the win% would be much higher.

Should be noted that the Draw % for Gerrard being so high and the Win % being relatively low doesn’t tell the full story, he’s managed far more European games than McCoist, Warburton, Murty and Caixinha combined and so a lot of those draws (non-wins) will have been in the European qualifiers which have helped us progress.

Yeah I did think about taking the likes of St Joesph's out of the stats (like I did with League Cup group stage for Warburton) but I think we'd then need to exclude all European qualifiers as where else would you draw the line?

How are his stats for this season so far?
how does it compare to last season?
Would be interested to see- feels like the win% would be much higher.

This season all comps:

PlayedWonDrawnLostScoredConcededWin %Scored Per GameConceded Per GameLoss %Draw %
Steven Gerrard
252032671380.00%2.680.528.00%12.00%

Last season all comps:

PlayedWonDrawnLostScoredConcededWin %Scored Per GameConceded Per GameLoss %Draw %
Steven Gerrard
603218101154453.33%1.920.7316.67%30.00%

Yeah I did think about taking the likes of St Joesph's out of the stats (like I did with League Cup group stage for Warburton) but I think we'd then need to exclude all European qualifiers as where else would you draw the line?

Worth noting as well that managers like Advocaat and Smith wouldn’t have had nearly as many qualifiers to play when they were managing. Another thing is that they were often in the Champions League against high-quality opposition which could affect their loss % slightly.

As with all stats, it’s very useful, but some context as well will help tell the full story.

Really interesting post, thank you OP. There it is Warburtons teams lack goals, like we knew and Le Guen a bigger "failure" than Caixinha.

Im going to get all sorts of pelters here. As you cant be critical of McCoist, apparently.

But compare and contrast Gerrards figures to McCoists. Both Rookies.

Thing is one had a blueprint to map out a Rangers team with talent but reverted to utter dross in what was frankly an easy run to the Championship. Gerrard has had more pressure and outgunned him all over the place.

Super Ally, eh. Lets Make sure history only has that accolade as a player. Gerrard on the other hand will clearly have it as both player and a manager, where ever he ends up.

Worth noting as well that managers like Advocaat and Smith wouldn’t have had nearly as many qualifiers to play when they were managing. Another thing is that they were often in the Champions League against high-quality opposition which could affect their loss % slightly.

As with all stats, it’s very useful, but some context as well will help tell the full story.
There are two types of statistician in this world; those who extrapolate from inadequate data sets and

Yep and where to draw the line is subjective, really. Particularly as the data I have for other managers isn’t as granular but hey ho.

I don’t think that these stats really say anything other than we have a decent momentum this season and we knew that already.

Winning things is the main stat I want to see has done really well in his first stint as manager seems to also have a great background team.

Mental that he’s got more wins than Murty, Warbs and Pedro combined in a shorter time period

Under SG last season we did improve our home form from the previous year.

2017/18. P22 W13 D2 L7
2018/19 P29 W20 D7 L2

Unfortunately the away form was not improved on.

2017/18. P25 W14 D5 L6
2018/19 P31 W12 D11 L8

But that has been addressed this season after 15 games so far.

2018/19. P15 W5 D6 L4
2019/20 P15 W10 D4 L1

Comparing out first 12 league games with our last 4 title wins we are also in a good spot:

2004/2005 - we had 27 points after 12 games
2008/2009 - we had 29
2009/2010 - we had 28
2010/2011 - we had 31

Averaging out those points we are 2.25 points off now than we averaged over those campaigns.

Under SG last season we did improve our home form from the previous year.

2017/18. P22 W13 D2 L7
2018/19 P29 W20 D7 L2

Unfortunately the away form was not improved on.

2017/18. P25 W14 D5 L6
2018/19 P31 W12 D11 L8

But that has been addressed this season after 15 games so far.

2018/19. P15 W5 D6 L4
2019/20 P15 W10 D4 L1

Draws killed us last season as did December when we didn't do too well.

True but also worth taking into consideration that this is Gerrards first job and he inherited the biggest shambles out of the lot

Perhaps we should add in an additional measurement of transfer fee expenditure per manager to provide further context. Especially for Smith and Advocaat.

Back