Gerrard on Alfie

Gerrard confirmed it was because of who was watching.

Why are we so keen to make more of something to suit our own agendas man.

Alfie wants to leave to a big club and this was a stark reminder of it. And it was clear as day. And Gerrard made it clear of day. No ambiguity. None.

Still love Alfie though; will just be gutted when he's gone because we've got no one like him. Will be a new era.
Rich. He's already at a big club.

If he plays like that until the end of the season good .He gets his move which on tonights majestic performance he probably will get and we can cash in.
Maybe if Stevie G can persuade him to stay for the champions league next season all the better.

Hahaha ffs i'm not actually sitting here heart broken mate.

Just saying, even though we know it's true, I hate fecking hearing it.
Gerrard is treble wide he knows the script and was honest and smiling . Any scouts watching Alfie tonight will be saying this guy has to be worth over £30 million now with what he’s added to his game . Great interview by Gerrard

It's definately the shop window whether we like it or not. If Alfie goes for upwards of £20 mil then we can at least be assured that money will be wisely re-invested.
I wish he would stay for a go at the CL and potentially bring us in £30 mil plus but appreciate he is looking to advance his career. Good luck to Alfie whatever he decides.

I never heard Gerrard saying shop window, even with rewinding my recording and listening again.
I took it to mean he gets treated fairly by European refs but was hoping there would be a thread about it, just to see different takes on it

Right, I don’t know what to make of that.

Is it because Alfie is putting himself in the shop window, or is it because he isn’t being unfairly officiated and hamstrung?
this is what i thought as well, i doubt Gerrard says it so publically like that basically saying he tries more in europe than he does in the league

Is it because Alfie is putting himself in the shop window, or is it because he isn’t being unfairly officiated and hamstrung?
Don't need to read any further mate. 100% this.

& if in any doubt go to the part of the 1st half where we are on the attack, & he stops play for the boy that needs treatment.

You even see it as they go up the tunnel a couple of them going over to him.

But naw.. not in Scotland..

Anybody getting upset of this is out of touch with reality.

Alfredo wants a big move and playing out his skin on the big stage as long as he makes us big money it’ll break my heart when he goes but it’ll be with a blessing the boy has been my biggest hero at our club since Barry Ferguson.

I think SG was talking about the shop window but I agree that Alfie undoubtedly is dealt with more fairly in Europe both by opponents and officials

I never heard Gerrard saying shop window, even with rewinding my recording and listening again.
I took it to mean he gets treated fairly by European refs but was hoping there would be a thread about it, just to see different takes on it
That's how I take it, I guess some need something to put a dampener on how good we are all feeling right now.

We were fxxking brilliant tonight and Antwerp are not a bad team.

aw this guessin is pants. stevie obviously meant that super was watchin tae see if his record would go. so eez ur aw wrang:)););)

Could he be referring to the different standard of refereeing in these competitions? Also no cheating opponents trying to get him sent off every week and kicking lumps out of him without punishment. He would probably got a yellow card for diving even though he was clearly fouled for the penalty.But that's scotshit football for you.

Spot on. At first I’d wondered if it might be due to being refereed more fairly, but her follow up question got the confirmation of what he meant.
It’s not a bad thing either. He wasn’t digging at him or accusing him of not trying in domestic games either.

He was just alluding to this competition bringing the best out in him because it gives him greater visibility to other leagues and clubs.

That’s all fine. We all know he has ambitions and they’ve never been a secret. As long as he performs like that on big stages for us we get the double whammy benefit. Win the games and ultimately make huge money competitively and when we ultimately sell him.

He probably does means shop window but at first I also took it as he gets reffed fairly and can get on with his game. In terms of who is watching, in Scotland the compliance officer watches his every move.

However most likely wishful thinking and it’s because he’s more likely to get noticed at international level and shop window wise.

See how we have fans on here, tims with typewriters aka the press, and lunatic celtic fans on various mediums still trying to tell us that 1 year contract Edoard is worth £20 or 30 mil plus for penalties against Hamilton.

We also have the same "Fans" on here telling us that Alfie's value is dropping by the minute.

Rangers just scored 9 goals in the last 32 of the Europa league. 8 goals were scored while Alfie was on the park and he was directly and in a key way involved in all 8. Whats that doing to his value? Putting European teams to the sword in ruthless fashion must be worth more than penalties v Hamilton and St Mirren?

It’s not a bad thing either. He wasn’t digging at him or accusing him of not trying in domestic games either.

He was just alluding to this competition bringing the best out in him because it gives him greater visibility to other leagues and clubs.

That’s all fine. We all know he has ambitions and they’ve never been a secret. As long as he performs like that on big stages for us we get the double whammy benefit. Win the games and ultimately make huge money competitively and when we ultimately sell him.

Yep, it is what it is. We all know Alfie’s long term ambitions since he joined us. Achieving them means he’s done well for us and we should make decent profit. He was sensational tonight.

The lure of the Champions League might be enough for Buff to stay for another season, in the sort of form he was in tonight he's irreplaceable in the markets we shop.
I think it's clear he wanted away to Lille last summer, they wouldn't cough up and Alfie had a few weeks strop and pies. Meanwhile Roofe took the jersey and stuck the ball in the net. Alfie eventually screws the nut and here we are. No way he's staying beyond the summer. We need the money.

If that was Clancy refereeing that, there’s no way he’s giving that stone wall penalty, he’d be booking Alfie for “simulation“.....that’s why I think Gerrard said what he did

That’s exactly what he meant. He loves the competition because his record in it is tremendous.
The SPFL is seen as a tough aggressive league.
But only seems to be diddy team defenders who are allowed to rough and tumble.
Morelos has to play to some saintly level, getting kicked up and down the park without getting close to defenders.

He simply isn't allowed to play in Scotland.

Hes walking on eggshells now every time he pulls on the blue jersey in this country. If its affecting his game then hes bound to want a move, nobody cant blame him for that. Hes helped us towards 55 whilst under constant scrutiny and abuse, and for that I wish him well when he moves on.

Mon the Buffalo :shh:

Last edited:
He's in the shop window.

And it was confirmed when Emma asked him "Is it because of who is watching" and he replied positively.
That was the clincher when I watched him say it. There was absolutely no dubiety whatsoever.

Last couple of years I would've been absolutely devastated to hear that and full of fear going into into the transfer window at the end of the season, but now it's a different story.

Obviously I wouldn't be happy to see him go in the summer but despite his massive contribution in this tie we're not quite as overreliant on him with so many goals now coming from so many different players.

Let's enjoy him while we can and if he stays for the Champions League next year it's a bonus, if he doesn't then anyone signing him will need extremely deep pockets, a win win situation for us no matter what happens.

Back