Gerrard on Ejaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Hill

Steven Gerrard will not stand in the way of Ovie Ejaria’s return to Liverpool.

The on loan midfielder has failed to settle at Rangers and is finding the physical demands of Scottish football a challenge.

Ibrox boss Gerrard held crunch talks with Ejaria today after the 21-year-old left training early on Tuesday and was told to stay at home and not travel to Vienna.

It’s increasingly likely Ejaria will have his loan move cut short as Gerrard insisted he won’t hold an unhappy player against his wishes.

Ejaria arrived at the Hummel Centre shortly before lunchtime yesterday before talks with Gerrard later in the afternoon.

Speaking before the discussions, Gerrard said: “Sitting here right now, it’s a concern we might lose Ovie.

“I need to have an honest conversation and see where his head’s at and where he sees his future and I also plan to speak to Liverpool.

“At times Ovie has looked fantastic but I think his form has dipped slightly.

“He is a very quiet kid and doesn’t give you much so I might have to dig deep to try and find out what’s going on.

“He’s a young kid, living away from his family. There might be other stuff going on in his life I’m not aware of yet.

“The reality is he’s a Liverpool player and they have almost got to take charge of this. Yes, we’ve got a loan situation with Ovie but we wouldn’t keep a kid who was unhappy.

“I wouldn’t stand in any kid’s way whether he was signed with us or on loan. I want players here who are committed and want to help and want to play here.”

Asked how much of Ejaria’s issues were personal and professional, Gerrard added: “Right now, sitting here? To be honest, I don’t know.”

The London-born player is an introvert and it’s understood he has not been finding the more combative style of the Premiership to his liking.

Gerrard said: “I need to find out exactly what’s in his head. Where does he want to be and where does he want to play his football? Then I’ll speak to Liverpool and together we’ll make the right decision for the kid.

“Ovie is very respectful and talks with the players in the dressing room but he is the type of kid who does like to be alone. That doesn’t mean he’s a problem. He’s a very quiet and reserved kid but he’s a fabulous footballer at times which we’ve all seen.”

Gerrard confirmed the return of Umar Sadiq to Roma after an ill-fated loan spell and revealed the positions he’s keen to strengthen in January, even if Ejaria stays.

He said: “I don’t think we need drastic changes in the next window but I’m looking for players of quality at the top end of the pitch.

“We’ve had two very poor results and two performances that I haven’t been happy with and which we’ve made complicated when we shouldn’t.

“I know when we find it hard in certain games and that’s an area I’ll try and address but it’s very clear we’re a better team this year to last.”

Gerrard was stull mulling over the might have beens after his side failed to secure the victory against Rapid that would have seen them progress to the last 32 of the Europa League.

He said: “I am extremely proud of the players and what they achieved but I can’t help thinking it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

“I can’t ask my players to give me anymore. Right from Shkupi through four qualifying rounds and into the group stage they gave me everything.

“Everyone knows it was a horror story 12 months ago and it was our job to get some pride back and we have done that.

“But what this has done has given me unbelievable confidence to come again. Hopefully if we get the chance to go on another European run next season we will be in a much better place.

“The players are well aware of the support they have had and it has whetted my appetite and theirs to go again.

“When we pulled up at the stadium on Thursday night all we could see was Rangers fans - thousands and thousands marching into the stadium.

“All the new players who maybe weren’t educated on Rangers when they arrived certainly are now. They have to learn and grown and come again.”

What's that article from? It's absolutely nothing new and yet they're deliberately painting it as trouble.

“I wouldn’t stand in any kid’s way whether he was signed with us or on loan. I want players here who are committed and want to help and want to play here.” sounds like he cant be bothered putting the effort required at Rangers in . Best of luck to him reckon we wont hear about him again when he gets lost in the lower leagues of English football

I love the gaffer. He realises our fans are superb

Realise Ejaria has struggled with the pressure and expectations but if he wants to make it then he needs to step up or he will end up a failure

We need guys like Davis to give us midfield options. Ejaria doesn’t have the bottle so best to end his loan and move on

An arsehole on Rangers Media was giving him racial abuse after Dundee game unfortunately.

so nobody was shouting racial abuse at the game at him and one faceless poster who might not even really be a Rangers fan on a social media forum is meant to have posted racial abuse! It could have been anyone behind the username and frankly, the player was hardly gonna see it either!

so nobody was shouting racial abuse at the game at him and one faceless poster who might not even really be a Rangers fan on a social media forum is meant to have posted racial abuse! It could have been anyone behind the username and frankly, the player was hardly gonna see it either!
True. Certainly never heard anything towards him at a game, although I wasn't at Dundee.

Hell be away in january

I think he'll be off next week, he obviously dosen't to be up in Scotland any longer than is possible.
It's obvious he's unhappy in the way he's been acting over the last 2 or 3 weeks.And leaving training early and arriving late for team meetings, and for training also, what does that tell us about his attitude.
Do us all a favour and let him go back down to Liverpool, that way maybe one of our own young players will get a chance to show what they can do.

I'm calling bullshit on this supposed racial abuse and will reiterate Gerrard is a straight talker who when asked about the player would have spoken about this supposed abuse.
https://twitter.com/Lewislfc745/status/1073351498749407232
I don't like it, and as stated above he almost certainly won't have seen it, but it's there. And I certainly don't think it's anything to do with him wanting to go back to Liverpool.

The abuse he's received is an indication of something very unhealthy within some of our support-this type of pressure being generated is going to hold us back and whilst social media etc plays a big part with young players that combined with what is coming out of the stands is simply going to inhibit the rebuilding job.

The abuse he's received is an indication of something very unhealthy within some of our support-this type of pressure being generated is going to hold us back and whilst social media etc play a big part with young players that combined with what is coming out of the stands is simply going to inhibit the rebuilding job.

Nobody knows who posted that comment, it could have been posted by a scum fan pretending to be one of our supporters.

Bit over dramatic mate.

Not really this season has shown or rather magnified the bi-polar nature of our support which is built on a long journey they just want to end. We've went from heralding many of our players as superstars in the making to hurling absolute spite at them-the abuse directed at this boy during the Sheep game was unacceptable. You saw him last week when he came on (which to be fair in the circumstances was a mistake) last week his confidence is shot.

We can kid ourselves on if we want I think the support or a section of it needs a serious rethink on how they can help the manager and the players because we've got a way to go and hurling at abuse is not the answer.

The abuse he's received is an indication of something very unhealthy within some of our support-this type of pressure being generated is going to hold us back and whilst social media etc plays a big part with young players that combined with what is coming out of the stands is simply going to inhibit the rebuilding job.

Absolute nonsense ya dafty

Good luck to him. Playing for us isn't for everyone, I'm sure he'll have a decent career at a lower level of pressure.

It's sad that he's been chased, partly, by the hatchet men up here. We saw the best from Ejaria in Europe when teams actually played football against us. It's a shame for the kid.

I worry if there's something deeper at play, a mental health illness and not just homesick/unsettled.

Nobody knows who posted that comment, it could have been posted by a scum fan pretending to be one of our supporters.

That's not the point....the point is the stuff in the stands....when we get behind the team it is superb but when it goes wrong that turns into a massive negative that is putting the players under even more pressure.

Not really this season has shown or rather magnified the bi-polar nature of our support which is built on a long journey they just want to end. We've went from heralding many of our players as superstars in the making to hurling absolute spite at them-the abuse directed at this boy during the Sheep game was unacceptable. You saw him last week when he came on (which to be fair in the circumstances was a mistake) last week his confidence is shot.

We can kid ourselves on if we want I think the support or a section of it needs a serious rethink on how they can help the manager and the players because we've got a way to go and hurling at abuse is not the answer.

Supporters of all big clubs are bi-polar like that. We are particularly like that because of what we've had to go through, which was none of our doings.

We need to be patient with the regime as its got lots of great signs and only had one window.

But, the fans are not to blame for Ejaria and all the nonsense surrounding him at the moment. If he can't handle it up here with all the demands and what have you then he can jog on as far as i'm concerned, can't imagine winning a title with a player like that.

Supporters of all big clubs are bi-polar like that. We are particularly like that because of what we've had to go through, which was none of our doings.

We need to be patient with the regime as its got lots of great signs and only had one window.

But, the fans are not to blame for Ejaria and all the nonsense surrounding him at the moment. If he can't handle it up here with all the demands and what have you then he can jog on as far as i'm concerned, can't imagine winning a title with a player like that.

I agree to an extent if you want to succeed at the top you need balls of steel, you need to be able to handle the pressure. Ejaria may well not be the type of player to survive at Rangers.

I get that but you can see how everything you posted there is simply going to end up very quickly on the manager's plate. At this current time we are heading in a very obvious direction regarding the gap between expectation and what the club is delivering....the future looks inevitable and I wish I could see a way that the desperation for success from the support is going to help....I don't see it. The patience you talk of is sitting next to the unicorns and the Bears who like Neil Lennon.

That's not the point....the point is the stuff in the stands....when we get behind the team it is superb but when it goes wrong that turns into a massive negative that is putting the players under even more pressure.

if players cant deal with pressure then they cant handle the jersey they are wearing.

More unsubstantiated rubbish from you, get a fecking life you attention seeker.

https://twitter.com/Lewislfc745/status/1073351498749407232
I don't like it, and as stated above he almost certainly won't have seen it, but it's there. And I certainly don't think it's anything to do with him wanting to go back to Liverpool.
Where do you even start with summat like that. Do these people not realise the damage they do to our club, let alone polluting the waters of humanity, with such idiotic comments? Still, someone has had to dig deep to find that so whoever found it clearly has an agenda.

The issue is after a couple of decent games, unrealistic expectations are placed upon the player. When those expectations aren't met, people move to the other extreme.

We've seen it many times on FF - apparently we should have invested a large slice of our transfer funds in securing Coulibaly permanently. And now...

Social media lives on extremes and some lurch from one to the other to provoke a reaction. It's rather sad.

Where do you even start with summat like that. Do these people not realise the damage they do to our club, let alone polluting the waters of humanity, with such idiotic comments? Still, someone has had to dig deep to find that so whoever found it clearly has an agenda.
Bet they posters aren't banned from rangers media either.

He started off pretty well but this last month or two he's been really rough. Hope he has just struggling to settle and it's eventually started to hamper him as a player and not just deciding to chuck it because he's not playing well and it's too physical for him. If that's the case then he has no shot of making it at a high level

if players cant deal with pressure then they cant handle the jersey they are wearing.

And I agree and we are going through another batch who don't look different to what we've seen before.

What do we do? Just keep hurling out the abuse or fight hard to support the manager and the players. That's my point.

Could just be a young lad put in a pressure cooker

Every Performance looked at under a microscope

Inability to comprehend what not being able to cut it at Rangers might mean for his future in the game...

We can all sit back and say he’s a shitebag etc.....but %^*& having pressure like that!

Not his biggest fan but I hope the boy find some peace and goes on to have a decent career. I wish him no ill will at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back