Gerrard on Ejaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transcript from the presser today

I watched the press conference and Gerrard said in no uncertain terms that Ejaria was unsettled, he wasn't sure what the cause was and he was going to talk to him this afternoon to find out. So this is definitely just troublemaking.

“I wouldn’t stand in any kid’s way whether he was signed with us or on loan. I want players here who are committed and want to help and want to play here.” sounds like he cant be bothered putting the effort required at Rangers in . Best of luck to him reckon we wont hear about him again when he gets lost in the lower leagues of English football
Given what we've seen you can't see him making the grade at Liverpool. Better for all parties and hopefully Davis will come in who is a step up,at least he's wore the jersey and knows what it takes.

My understanding is that he got racially abused on a forum, not this one, and Liverpool have contacted the club to let them know.

It maybe a coincidence that he's unsettled.

My understanding is that he got racially abused on a forum, not this one, and Liverpool have contacted the club to let them know.

It maybe a coincidence that he's unsettled.
Why would Liverpool contact Rangers to tell them about what some arseholes have been saying on an Internet message board?

The abuse he's received is an indication of something very unhealthy within some of our support-this type of pressure being generated is going to hold us back and whilst social media etc plays a big part with young players that combined with what is coming out of the stands is simply going to inhibit the rebuilding job.
I actually agree with this. I’m not for one minute suggesting our support are in anyway to blame for the Ejaria situation, but having heard with my own ears the comments from some fans I’d have to say, not too many introverts would find that easy to deal with.

Why would Liverpool contact Rangers to tell them about what some arseholes have been saying on an Internet message board?

Because they have a team at the club who monitor all social media regarding their players whether or not they are at Liverpool or on loan. He's their player.

Because they have a team at the club who monitor all social media regarding their players whether or not they are at Liverpool or on loan. He's their player.
But why are they telling Rangers as opposed to the police? What other comments do they report back to us? Do they literally employ a team of people to be offended by things on other people's behalf? I just don't see the point.

Typical gutless youngster. If he can't stand the physical demands of our league he has zero chance of succeeding in the EPL.

The finances at the moment dictate that we are not going to be able to buy the finished article, aside from players returning like McGregor and possibly Davis.

That means we need to develop and improve players like Ejaria. The manager and coaching staff have done well so far in squeezing performances out of guys who haven't played regularly at other clubs.

The thing that's missing is more experience throughout the team for these young guys to learn from. Even better if the players have experience of the demands of being a winner at Rangers. Ejaria needs guys like Steven Davis around him to show how to get through a season at a club like Rangers.

That's not the point....the point is the stuff in the stands....when we get behind the team it is superb but when it goes wrong that turns into a massive negative that is putting the players under even more pressure.

I think you’re right. The near constant travails of recent years and the litany of injustices we’ve suffered has led to desperation and overreaction when things go wrong. It’s self-indulgent though as it’s entirely counterproductive.

I think Ejaria has looked a really superb prospect until the last four weeks. If the atmosphere has had an impact on him(and we don’t know that for sure) we can talk all we want about him having to toughen up and deal with it but we also need to look at ourselves.

I actually think it takes only a small number to poison the atmosphere. When I look around when a game is going the wrong way I’m always conscious that most of us suffer in silence. It’s one in 30 at most who is doling out abuse it booing. That’s enough though.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think Stevie G is a straight talker and he hasn't said a thing about this with this player and I doubt very much Liverpool even know or are have heard of Rangers media.

this is what Gerrard has said about the situation
"Rangers boss doesn't know why the player has become unsettled and has planned further talks". I think he'd know if this was all true.

The abuse he's received is an indication of something very unhealthy within some of our support-this type of pressure being generated is going to hold us back and whilst social media etc plays a big part with young players that combined with what is coming out of the stands is simply going to inhibit the rebuilding job.
I think you're blowing abuse out of proportion. You're not the only one who does. It's become a thing in western society to focus on negative social media output, and to point an accusatory finger at others over nothing in particular. Ovie doesn't want to be at Rangers for reasons. If any of them include nasty tweets, or a shout or two from the stands then this player doesn't have what it takes to be a success anywhere.

Hes had no more abuse from the stands than any other player in the team. In fact its hardly abuse. The usual howls of derision when he gives the ball away that anyone gets.

What abuse has he had?

So now the fans are to blame?

The fans in general have been more than patient with many players this season

That's not the point....the point is the stuff in the stands....when we get behind the team it is superb but when it goes wrong that turns into a massive negative that is putting the players under even more pressure.

This is another reason why we need safe standing. The UBs and others will drown out the boo boys and keep backing the team through thick and thin just like the Derry used to do back in the 60s and 70s.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think Stevie G is a straight talker and he hasn't said a thing about this with this player and I doubt very much Liverpool even know or are have heard of Rangers media.

this is what Gerrard has said about the situation
"Rangers boss doesn't know why the player has become unsettled and has planned further talks". I think he'd know if this

Liverpool reported this to Rangers. The club have been in discussion with the player regarding the offensive post. The player is considering his position with regards to reporting it to the Police.

"Liverpool reported this to Rangers. The club has been in discussion with the player regarding the offensive post. The player is considering his position with regards to reporting it to the Police."

Blue Goose, I'm sorry, I just don't believe that as, if any sniff of someone like this the media would have been all over it. I don't believe Liverpool know what Rangers media is at all and as said a few times now, one post by some faceless person who won't even be a Rangers fan! I'm pretty sure Liverpool expect their players to be made by sterner stuff than to be upset over a social media post by a faceless person.

"Liverpool reported this to Rangers. The club has been in discussion with the player regarding the offensive post. The player is considering his position with regards to reporting it to the Police."

I'm sorry, I just don't believe that as, if any sniff of someone like this the media would have been all over it. I don't believe Liverpool know what Rangers media is at all and as said a few times now, one post by some faceless person who won't even be a Rangers fan! I'm pretty sure Liverpool expect their players to be made by sterner stuff than to be upset over a social media post by a faceless person.

I'm fine with you not believing it. I'm only posting what I was told by an extremely reliable source.

There’s posters on here who couldn’t or wouldn’t spot talent if they were about to be sent to the gallows
Absolute fantastic talent who’s been blown away with the physical and mental aspect of our game up here with sadly the lad being unable to handle the hot pot which is Scottish football and playing for Glasgow Rangers

Some of our fans have forgot some of the great performances this lad has put in and only remember the not so great
If we could be really honest with ourselves for just once, this young lad was the most gifted /talented player in our midfield this season but sadly it’s went pear shaped last few weeks.

When will we as fans accept extremely talented players over players who can just run about and tackle

No worries but id suggest your "reliable source" is talking bollox as the media don't wait to stick the knife into us.

They are not. But I'm not going to justify their info. Hopefully the player will not want to become involved and both clubs can deal with it. The only issue may be that the parent club want it reported to the police. What I would say is that I don't think this is the reason why he's not wanting to play however I know how this will be spun in the media.

Last edited:
There’s posters on here who couldn’t or wouldn’t spot talent if they were about to be sent to the gallows
Absolute fantastic talent who’s been blown away with the physical and mental aspect of our game up here with sadly the lad being unable to handle the hot pot which is Scottish football and playing for Glasgow Rangers

Some of our fans have forgot some of the great performances this lad has put in and only remember the not so great
If we could be really honest with ourselves for just once, this young lad was the most gifted /talented player in our midfield this season but sadly it’s went pear shaped last few weeks.

When will we as fans accept extremely talented players over players who can just run about and tackle
Well said mate 100% correct in everything you say. Some of our fans wouldn’t know a football if it hit them on the face.

State of the tims.
Trying to deflect issues at their horrid institution by saying rangers fans abused Ejaria.

Its yet another smear campaign they are carrying out to deflect

If he can’t hack it at Rangers under Gerrard then he’s never making it at Liverpool.

A career in the lower divisions in England beckons. I think a lot of the current generation of players are quite happy with this safety net, still makes them rich men thanks to the silly money down there without the pressure of playing for a big club.

Like it or not we play in Scotland and being talented isn't enough if you aren't willing to put in the work.

Up until about a month ago Ejaria was putting the work in and was good at winning the ball back but this has completely disappeared from him game. Coupled with him being dropped for being late for meetings its not a massive jump to put it down to his attitude. Hes as well away.

Will have been no doubt a mentally challenged

We don’t abuse our own

But they DO

We don't abuse our own?

That is true for the majority of us but there are some of our fans who are brain dead and are constantly abusing our own.

Go look at Tav's instagram post from after the match on Thursday and see some of the replies from our fans.

It is not racist but it definitely is abuse.

Yes some of it may be tims pretending to be Rangers fans but you can see see some of the profiles and they are definitely Rangers fans.

That is the nature of social media I guess but I cannot imagine saying some of things that some our fans do to our players no matter how bad they play.

And you can say, ah well they are paid enough or they play for Rangers so they should be able to take criticism but imagine your owns giving you abuse. It can't do too much positive for their mentality.

They are not. But I'm not going to justify their info. Hopefully the player will not want to become involved and both clubs can deal with it. The only issue may be that the parent club want it reported to the police. What I would say is that I don't think this is the reason why he's not wanting to play however I know how this will be spun in the media.

We'll agree to disagree then as the manager has said he has no idea why he's unsettled and the media would run with this as a front page headline if true.

Can we just get on with sending him back?

Of course the gaffer needs to show that loan players are respected and not shot down in press conferences. The more it's played like this, the more likely we'll continue to get them in the future, particularly given the Liverpool connection.

But if rather we were hearing more about our players that want to be here, or tactics, or training, or anything else rather than a poor wee grown man that wants away for <insert excuse>. It's so far removed from what our manager was as a player and is as a person - he rightly won't appreciate it.

Steven Gerrard will not stand in the way of Ovie Ejaria’s return to Liverpool.

The on loan midfielder has failed to settle at Rangers and is finding the physical demands of Scottish football a challenge.

Ibrox boss Gerrard held crunch talks with Ejaria today after the 21-year-old left training early on Tuesday and was told to stay at home and not travel to Vienna.

It’s increasingly likely Ejaria will have his loan move cut short as Gerrard insisted he won’t hold an unhappy player against his wishes.

Ejaria arrived at the Hummel Centre shortly before lunchtime yesterday before talks with Gerrard later in the afternoon.

Speaking before the discussions, Gerrard said: “Sitting here right now, it’s a concern we might lose Ovie.

“I need to have an honest conversation and see where his head’s at and where he sees his future and I also plan to speak to Liverpool.

“At times Ovie has looked fantastic but I think his form has dipped slightly.

“He is a very quiet kid and doesn’t give you much so I might have to dig deep to try and find out what’s going on.

“He’s a young kid, living away from his family. There might be other stuff going on in his life I’m not aware of yet.

“The reality is he’s a Liverpool player and they have almost got to take charge of this. Yes, we’ve got a loan situation with Ovie but we wouldn’t keep a kid who was unhappy.

“I wouldn’t stand in any kid’s way whether he was signed with us or on loan. I want players here who are committed and want to help and want to play here.”

Asked how much of Ejaria’s issues were personal and professional, Gerrard added: “Right now, sitting here? To be honest, I don’t know.”

The London-born player is an introvert and it’s understood he has not been finding the more combative style of the Premiership to his liking.

Gerrard said: “I need to find out exactly what’s in his head. Where does he want to be and where does he want to play his football? Then I’ll speak to Liverpool and together we’ll make the right decision for the kid.

“Ovie is very respectful and talks with the players in the dressing room but he is the type of kid who does like to be alone. That doesn’t mean he’s a problem. He’s a very quiet and reserved kid but he’s a fabulous footballer at times which we’ve all seen.”

Gerrard confirmed the return of Umar Sadiq to Roma after an ill-fated loan spell and revealed the positions he’s keen to strengthen in January, even if Ejaria stays.

He said: “I don’t think we need drastic changes in the next window but I’m looking for players of quality at the top end of the pitch.

“We’ve had two very poor results and two performances that I haven’t been happy with and which we’ve made complicated when we shouldn’t.

“I know when we find it hard in certain games and that’s an area I’ll try and address but it’s very clear we’re a better team this year to last.”

Gerrard was stull mulling over the might have beens after his side failed to secure the victory against Rapid that would have seen them progress to the last 32 of the Europa League.

He said: “I am extremely proud of the players and what they achieved but I can’t help thinking it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

“I can’t ask my players to give me anymore. Right from Shkupi through four qualifying rounds and into the group stage they gave me everything.

“Everyone knows it was a horror story 12 months ago and it was our job to get some pride back and we have done that.

“But what this has done has given me unbelievable confidence to come again. Hopefully if we get the chance to go on another European run next season we will be in a much better place.

“The players are well aware of the support they have had and it has whetted my appetite and theirs to go again.

“When we pulled up at the stadium on Thursday night all we could see was Rangers fans - thousands and thousands marching into the stadium.

“All the new players who maybe weren’t educated on Rangers when they arrived certainly are now. They have to learn and grown and come again.”
Bring docherty back in january.

Apart from the obvious skill/fitness requirements required to be a professional footballer, the other one is a thick skin and the very real likelihood that you will have to ply your trade more than 10 miles from yer Mammy. As already stated he'll most likely end up at one of the many lower league clubs south of Watford.

Hes been in to see Gerrard and Mark Allen this morning and left soon after . Did not train .

In any walk of life and no matter your occupation or indeed your age basically being "home sick" is a terrible thing to suffer.

Take it from someone who knows and has experienced it - I await the usual "grow a pair" etc.......

At the Aberdeen game at about 70 mins he went to make a pass just around the half way line to wide left possession.
The pass was woeful and went nowhere near any of our players and ran out of play.
There was an angry shout/groan from the crowd.
Ejaria just put his head down like Charlie Brown and walked slowly away.
At that point you could tell he doesn’t have them balls to play for a massive club. This tends to suggest our scouting of the players wasn’t that great.

It wasn’t racist in any way just frustrated Rangers fans getting fucking pissed of how bad we were playing.
If anyone is doing this online the moderaters should hand over details to the cops.

Ejaria like so many of our players don’t have the courage or the fight to play for a big club. They don’t have a winners attitude which when in times of adversity will get you back into games.

With us the touches stop, less risks are taken and they avoid all responsibility.
Nobody tries to shoot and nobody runs at the oppositions penalty box with the ball.

Ejaria and Coulibaly to a lesser extent had hardly any first team experience. Both weren’t particularly mobile and not very attacking, when we already had McCrorie and Jack like this.
These two signings on loan seemed desperate and were to fill jerseys as we never had the money to buy anyone decent.
When getting loans we should be looking for experienced players who have lost their place at larger clubs.

The boy has ability but his decision making is as poor as it comes, he would probably be better suited to learning his trade at the likes of a Reading or Bristol where there aren't really any demands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back