Gerrard on Grezda and Barisic

Our DOF gave an interview a while back when he talked about our signing policy. He said we would only sign players that fitted our 'ethos, philosophy and footballing strategy'. Of course he didnt explain what any of this meant. The masses lapped it up.

I had a boss like that a few years back. Talked a lot but said very little.

Incidentally, I think we're doing very well in the transfer market. I just wish we had a spokesperson that did some straight talking like Gerrard does in his interviews.

Why is this so hard to understand.

When he said that all he means is he’s looking for players that have the right attitude and will fit our style of play.

It’s not some cryptic psychobabble.

I don’t know why you’re having a dig at Mark Allen. He’s done a good job.

These comments by Gerrard are music to my ears & have clearly stated what many of us have been saying about the players - he has read the situation perfectly IMO.

I seem to remember when the guy in my avatar came to Ibrox the manager played the great man up front
it was a failure Baxter like most players take time to settle in at Ibrox, Baxter went on to rule the world so much that our manager team talk was reduced to get the ball to Jim, I think what I am trying to say is give these guys a chance, good players dont become bad players in the short space of time they have been with us.

I remember sitting on rangers sites over a year ago telling people Morelos would come good that he was a player and so many people said “ liability “ dumplin “ canny finish his dinner “ etc ... some people far too quick to judge people when they haven’t even had a proper run in the side yet. Firstly Barisic for me looks like a top player who could probably be our best left back since numan ( as another poster mentioned ).

Grezda was recommended by Barisic and Katic who both stated he was by far the best player in the Croatian league last season , also his international manager says he really thinks he could be worth 20 odd million one day. Problem is the guy had very little pre season after injury problems and they problems have continued , add to that he’s only a young guy trying to adapt to a new country , a new playing style with a new team and manager and now everyone on his back. Give the guy a chance!

Every thread about Barisic you come flying in with 2 feet to talk about how overrated he is and question why people rate him.

I have no idea why you do this but whatever. I'm especially surprised you picked out the piggery game as in the second half he was the ONLY player who looked like he might make something happen.

All I'll say is that it's very clear to anyone with 2 eyes that he is our best left back, and offers a fantastic attacking threat down the left. He is a Croatian international and his ability to link up with his winger and find space for a cross is far and away better than any other full back in Scotland. The fact we got him for the fee we did is incredible.

To quote Gerrard:

“There’s no doubt both have got quality. Borna has shown that regularly when he’s played"

Question his injury problems if you must, but his quality is not in doubt.

Grezda is more up for debate.

He likes to be contrarian and goes into threads, establishes what the general opinion is, and then goes the other way. The notion that Barasic was starting to crack under the pressure is ludicrous, he’s looked a good player so far and that’s without being able to string and good run of games together

Barasic is a young, proven player and will no doubt be a very good addition to us in the long run. He has just been unlucky with injuries.

Grezda, on the other hand is a young, unproven player, and to an extent we have paid for his potential. If it developed correctly we could have a very exciting player on our hands.

Katic could also fall into this latter category, altough we seen a bt more of him earlier in the season to give us more confidence in his potential.

The thing is that they are all are entering a new country, with a new language, culture and different style of football. Morales was the same last year! Unlike Western Europeans, who normally speak a little English to get them by, Eastern Europeans (ex Soviet Bloc) can often have no experience of the English language and this can mean it takes a little longer for them to settle in. Same as South Americans who come to English speaking nations (Morales,again).

Signing a mixture of young proven talent, young exciting potential and older experienced pros seems to be a sensible approach in my opinion. ‘Hedging your bets’ in old language.

Borna will be the best left back we have had since Numan!

Don’t think we will see the best of them until next season
He has a lot to do to be better than Papac ,only after he has played a number of games will we be able to make any sort of judgement .

It’s not just Grezda that needs to win his place back.
Barasic as well.
Halliday set the tone for our biggest win in years, barasic imo wouldn’t have done so, Halliday is my first choice LB until a poor performance/ban/injury. Barasic hasn’t shown enough to warrant displacing Halliday

I have no doubts Barisic if he can stay fit will go on to be a very good Rangers player.

I'm hopeful with Grezda.

You have to show a bit of patience. If some of our fans had their way we'd have a new team every 6 months off the back of them demanding constant 'red oots'.

It's not how real life works.

It’s not just Grezda that needs to win his place back.
Barasic as well.
Halliday set the tone for our biggest win in years, barasic imo wouldn’t have done so, Halliday is my first choice LB until a poor performance/ban/injury. Barasic hasn’t shown enough to warrant displacing Halliday
John Woods?

Why is this so hard to understand.

When he said that all he means is he’s looking for players that have the right attitude and will fit our style of play.

It’s not some cryptic psychobabble.

I don’t know why you’re having a dig at Mark Allen. He’s done a good job.

Im having a go at him because I think he's a phoney. Just like Stewart Robertson.

Im basing this on the only information I have and that's their interviews.

If , as you say, he identifies players based on, " the right attitude and will fit our style of play", then why not just say that? I guess its because some will begin to question his signings when they don't fit our style of play and/or dont have the right attitude. Its much harder to argue against our ethos and philosophy when we dont know what they are.

Dont forget we were told we were appointing a DOF so that in the event of a manager leaving we wouldnt need to replace the squad.

I dread to think where we'd be if Gerrard left. He's the man that makes ALL the big decisions. He's the real brains behind our signings. If the DOF left I dont think anyone would even notice.

The mentally challengeds don't have a DoF, they have Lee Congerton. How's that worked out for them the last few windows?

I'll stick with Mark Allen thanks.

I remember sitting on rangers sites over a year ago telling people Morelos would come good that he was a player and so many people said “ liability “ dumplin “ canny finish his dinner “ etc ... some people far too quick to judge people when they haven’t even had a proper run in the side yet. Firstly Barisic for me looks like a top player who could probably be our best left back since numan ( as another poster mentioned ).

Grezda was recommended by Barisic and Katic who both stated he was by far the best player in the Croatian league last season , also his international manager says he really thinks he could be worth 20 odd million one day. Problem is the guy had very little pre season after injury problems and they problems have continued , add to that he’s only a young guy trying to adapt to a new country , a new playing style with a new team and manager and now everyone on his back. Give the guy a chance!
There are still some people that would get rid of Alfie because , according to them,hes a liability etc etc

Im having a go at him because I think he's a phoney. Just like Stewart Robertson.

If , as you say, he identifies players based on, " the right attitude and will fit our style of play", then why not just say that? I guess its because some will begin to question his signings when they don't fit our style of play and/or dont have the right attitude. Its much harder to argue against our ethos and philosophy when we dont know what they are.

Dont forget we were told we were appointing a DOF so that in the event of a manager leaving we wouldnt need to replace the squad.

I dread to think where we'd be if Gerrard left. He's the man that makes ALL the big decisions. He's the real brains behind our signings. If the DOF left I dont think anyone would even notice.

I don’t understand how your coming to definitive and sweeping conclusions like this on the basis of interviews.

As far as I can see Allen brought in Gerrard and a host of signings to bolster the squad. So as far as I can see he’s doing a good job.

As far as Robertson is concerned, none of us really know how well he’s doing because his work is behind the scenes. So again, I don’t get your conclusions on this.

Privately they might.

£4m is a lot of money for us nowadays, especially after the profligacy of the Pedro era.

Not all transfers work out, that’s fair enough, but if neither player cuts it, the odd doubt might creep in should Gerrard and Allen target more eastern European players.
I think SG has exceeded all expectations so far, there is no doubting his ability as a manager now and getting the best out of the players that where already there, but when you add in katic to the equation of grezda and barasic you might have a point .ps. I think katic was harshly dealt with after a very promising start.

Barisic has been unlucky so far, he looks a very good player. The fact he's in the Croatia squad says it all.

Grezda, on the other hand, is very much needing to convince us he was worth the transfer fee.
Like Barisic but as gaffers say not aggressive enough. Especially when defending.

I don’t understand how your coming to definitive and sweeping conclusions like this on the basis of interviews.

As far as I can see Allen brought in Gerrard and a host of signings to bolster the squad. So as far as I can see he’s doing a good job.

As far as Robertson is concerned, none of us really know how well he’s doing because his work is behind the scenes. So again, I don’t get your conclusions on this.

As I said, based on the only information I have, interviews.

If you apply for a job they interview you. I wouldn't have appointed Allen or Robertson based on their interviews.

Before anyone points it out I know there's more to getting a job than an interview.

Almost get the impression from Gerrard that he's annoyed by them constantly being injured. It's as if he's telling them to man up. Get the impression the injuries are minor and its any reason for them to miss matches.

For me Barisic has quality but he has to show more. I also think he whips far to many crosses into the box rather than trying to work a breakthrough through some passing. Every time he gets the ball he wants to whip it in. Theres a time to cross the ball.

Grezda has been poor. There is a player their, but his touches are a bit heavy. Knocks the ball to far ahead of himself.

Not quite as bad as the Sadiq roasting in the media, but a pretty damming assessment from the gaffer.
I saw in one of the training vids he was giving Grezda some direct instructions and trying to gee him up.
I reckon Grezda is in last chance saloon.

Barisic is clearly a good player.

Grezda has a lot to prove. He needs to prove it this season as Jones and Murphy will be added to the squad too.

Not quite as bad as the Sadiq roasting in the media, but a pretty damming assessment from the gaffer.
I saw in one of the training vids he was giving Grezda some direct instructions and trying to gee him up.
I reckon Grezda is in last chance saloon.
It sounds (albeit not at same level of scathing) like the assessment he gave on Sadiq which effectively was the beginning of the end for him.

Not saying that’s what should happen here at all, but it has echoes of it.

We sign players on talent however to play for Rangers you also have to have s big heart sadly both players aren’t up to that basic requirement.
Said to close friends recently that both haven’t got the bottle or desire to play for our team, sadly that appears to be true.

We spent £4m on this pair.

They need to succeed otherwise questions will arise over the judgment of Gerrard and Allen in the transfer market.
Put your hook away man, if your going fishing you neeed to use something semi believable.

Gerrard has looked frustrated in previous press conferences when talking about Barisic and Grezda.

Guess we know the reason why now, think both could be doing with getting match fit, staying that way with a bit of luck and then getting to a good level of performance.

While Barisic has looked the part, Grezda has struggled to make an impact although he was good at Hearts then at Hibs got into good positions but for whatever reasons wasn't given to ball.

Lot of posters seem to be missing in here who were very vocal in the Grezda crocked thread. :rolleyes:

So Gerrard fires a warning to Grezda and eh, doesn’t mention his previous injury woes (the go to excuse).Seems he may also think he’s had more than a fair crap of the whip so far and should have shown us something.

Maybe Gerrard is just Negative like us on here who can see he hasn’t cut it with us and probably never will.

It’s blatantly obvious from his comments he regrets signing him.

Luckily Gerrard has got more right than wrong.

I’d love to see him prove us all wrong from now till may/55 and burst us all with wonder goals. Always felt he’d be a better version of josh windass as he is rapid and likes to dribble. Is there space in the midfield 3 of a 3-5-2 for CAM as he plays up front by himself for Albania?

To be frank there's a lot of crap posted about our football set up I'm yet to see a player plucked from anywhere that looks like a shrewd piece of scouting that is not directly related to managers or assistant managers.

What is not up for debate is that SG has been able to gel a team quickly but I remain unconvinced that the whole football set up has a strategy beyond the obvious. A dug with a Rangers scarf would have come up with Davis and Defoe for Jan signings....and SG being involved in highlighting the best he's seen elsewhere in Scotland does not a great football set up make.

Agreed. Think the only decent bit of movement in that regard was actually Declan John. Plucked from no where really on a free, did a decent job, sold for a profit. Not sure Allen can really take credit for many other signings.

But SG doesn’t have a word to say about a couple of consistently underperforming players whom he’s started over and over?

These two have been injured without a good run. Both good signings btw, they will work out.

Think our signing policy is has been just fine considering we are joint top of the league. Having a complete overhaul of the squad, we were always going to have some signings that don't work out.

Especially considering has a net spent of 4-5m

And Gerrard warned: “Grezda has got it all to prove. He needs to push himself to prove to everyone he’s capable of being a Rangers player.

“First and foremost he needs to win a shirt because at the moment the players who played against Celtic have got the shirts and rightly so.

“He has to show to us in the coming weeks that he wants to win a shirt back and when he gets his opportunity take it and find consistency.”

Grezda’s progress was hampered on Thursday when he suffered a minor foot injury in training at Gers’ mid-winter training camp in Tenerife.

Borna Barisic is another player Gerrard wants to see more from although he concedes the Croat has been hampered by injuries.

He added: “Borna has had a lot of injuries and Grezda came injured.

“This trip is almost like a reset button for both of them and need to use the next two weeks as a mini pre-season to get their bodies ready to cope with the physical demands of Scotland and the regular game schedule.

“There’s no doubt both have got quality. Borna has shown that regularly when he’s played but we haven’t had him fit enough so he needs to get more robust.”

The last time the manager came out with a statement like that somebody was very quickly on his bike!

Think Grezda better get the finger out or he will be next out the exit door!

We sign players on talent however to play for Rangers you also have to have s big heart sadly both players aren’t up to that basic requirement.
Said to close friends recently that both haven’t got the bottle or desire to play for our team, sadly that appears to be true.

I have hope for Barisic as he has shown some quality and also some heart on occasion.

Grezda gives off the vibe of a wee lost boy unfortunately.

That 'phoney' is the guy that convinced Gerrard to join in the first place for fucks sake.

Why did he sign him then?
Did he sign him? Seems like it was a club signing rather than the manager's. This kind of thing is commonplace in football nowadays, and appears to be the way we are working just now. Impossible to know for sure though, just seems to me we've had 2 different transfer policies: the foreign signings, and the British signings. Both have had pros and cons. My view on it is the foreign signings are generally not the manager's, I just hope he has some say on them.

One defence I would make for grezda is that he will probably have never placed against teams who play a low block and have no ambition at all. It's not easy to break down. He has looked good on the occasions where the play is more open and he can run at people. He needs to learn how to play against these teams if he is to be a success for Rangers.

I suppose Dave King might simply shrug his shoulders and say, “No problem, these things happen. Here’s another £4m to buy a couple of replacements.”

FFS

The gaffer has seen what we all have about Grezda and called it quickly

He'll be bulleted for sure, for recognising it, calling it, dropping him and destroying Septic

Back