Gerrard on Grezda and Barisic

This thread reminds me of the summer transfer threads where almost everyone was crying out for us to scour Eastern Europe and pick up technically gifted players we could then sell on for considerable profits. Please no more championship players, no profit in english players, no spfl players remotely good enough etc. How many of those criticising Gerrard, Allan, barisic, grezda and Katic on this thread argued against that reasoning? Very, very few I'd wager.

i

Villarreal, St Mirren & 2x Motherwell.

He also has the most successful crosses in the league per 90 minutes. Is it his fault if they aren’t finished?

Have a lie down, angry bear.

Get you and your sanctimonious p!sh.

How can a cross be considered successful if it amounts to nothing.

Would it not be considered the opposite ? A hundred or how many crosses and your four goals ? Not a great stat is it.

BTW I’m not convinced he has two assists against Motherwell. Talk us through them.

Would it not be considered the opposite ? A hundred or how many crosses and your four goals ? Not a great stat is it.

BTW I’m not convinced he has two assists against Motherwell. Talk us through them.
A cross is considered successful when it creates an attempt on goal.

He did indeed create 2 of the goals against Motherwell, Lafferty's first and Ejaria's

Edited to amend the mistake

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

A cross is considered successful when it creates an attempt on goal.

He did indeed create 2 of the goals against Motherwell, Lafferty's first and Ejaria's

Edited to amend the mistake

Lafferty’s first was a volley from outside the box from a headed clearance. That probably wasn’t even on target before it deflected into the opposite side of the goal.

Ejaria’s was a pass to him outside the box where he has turned two players and curled one into the net again from outside the box via the keepers hands.

So is an assist is the last person to touch the ball before the goal scorer sticks it in the net ?

Lafferty’s first was a volley from outside the box from a headed clearance. That probably wasn’t even on target before it deflected into the opposite side of the goal.

Ejaria’s was a pass to him outside the box where he has turned two players and curled one into the net again from outside the box via the keepers hands.

So is an assist is the last person to touch the ball before the goal scorer sticks it in the net ?
I'll admit it's generous giving him the Lafferty assist but the Ejaria one is 100% considered an assist by most people.

Grezda I can see why there are question marks. I've observed a player who looks short of confidence and the obvious lack of fitness. Wingers are notoriously hot and cold, and he just hasn't been fit enough to get hot.

A wee bit worrying though is that the best he has played all season wasn't even in our shirt, it was against Scotland for Albania. Injury aside, I do wonder why we haven't seen that player yet?

I love the thought that you somehow know a player better than anyone else :D You argued for weeks, with me, that Candeias would feature rarely if at all this season because he lacks the quality for Gerrard to rely on him. How did that one work out?

Stop trying to deflect. You stated clearly that Gerrard telling Grezda he wants to see more is absolute proof that the 'apologists' are wrong. I merely pointed out that if anything, it is the opposite. You are the one making claims, I am merely rebutting them. Direct question for you, requiring an answer: define these 'apologists' please.

I do not quite understand why him being dropped twice is such an issue. Not one single person has said Grezda has performed for us. Given the absolutely widespread acceptance that he has been sub par, why would anyone be shocked at him missing games? Strange angle to take. Gerrard dropping him from any given squad is a sign that Gerrard did not see him as ready/fit/performing well enough in that moment and wanted better options, it is not a sign he cannot perform in the future.

This is very simple and you are taking it off track; Grezda has some talent. He has not played well for us so far. gerrard knows he has not played well for us so far. gerrard is saying exactly what your apologists are saying; Grezda is capable of better and it needs to start becoming apparent in his game.

Not one single person, at all and at any point, has said Grezda has done well so far. Several people have said he will 100% never play well. Some have said we need to wait and see because there is a player in there somewhere and maybe he will make it, maybe he will not. That is it, there are no other opinions being shared at all. I would bet a year's salary which side of that Gerrard would come down on and it is, 100%, not yours.

Er the player bit is bullshit-nobody ever knows how that is going to go 100%. Candeias went through a spell when he was regularly in and out-that helped him-he has improved under SG was absolutely excellent against the Beggars and it is my opinion we will not win the title with him a regular starter-let's see how that goes.

I've already defined the apologists-those who take the stance you can't judge when something obvious is staring them in the face like the manager deciding Grezda has went from starting to going right out the squad-the apologists would claim nothing wrong just settling in.

Finally you've made a right arse of yourself because you've clearly misread my view on Grezda because all I've said is what you are saying-he hasn't done great. I never said he couldn't recover.
Can you actually read?

That’s the fir park game, I’m not even sure Grezda has signed by that point

The poster is clearly talking about the Ibrox game in which Grezda also scored 2

Er the player bit is bullshit-nobody ever knows how that is going to go 100%. Candeias went through a spell when he was regularly in and out-that helped him-he has improved under SG was absolutely excellent against the Beggars and it is my opinion we will not win the title with him a regular starter-let's see how that goes.

I've already defined the apologists-those who take the stance you can't judge when something obvious is staring them in the face like the manager deciding Grezda has went from starting to going right out the squad-the apologists would claim nothing wrong just settling in.

Finally you've made a right arse of yourself because you've clearly misread my view on Grezda because all I've said is what you are saying-he hasn't done great. I never said he couldn't recover.
Can you actually read?

You are completely back peddling and misrepresenting what you said.

Candeias is a regular and will remain a regular this season and we are very much in a title race. You stated clearly that he would not feature regularly for us under Gerrard and he absolutely has.

Nobody, at all, has argued that there is nothing wrong with Grezda. Not a single poster at any stage. People have said that he has not played well enough and that his injuries, the move to a physical league and his new team mates are all factors and that he needs time. Gerrard dropping him does not alter that at all in any single way. It confirms it.

The last paragraph does not even make any sense :D

Anyway, welcome back to the board, I like a debate with you

Can you actually read?

He was out the squad due to an injury?

There’s a massive difference playing for Albania against Scotland than Playing for us Fûck me, he’s had about one decent first half display against hearts nothing more than that.

You can’t be serious?

If a pass is made in the middle of the park to another player, who then turns, shoots, and puts the ball over the bar, does that make the initial pass unsuccessful?

Last edited:

The most apt Username on this whole forum.

Have you made one positive post since we smashed the mentally challengeds? If you have, I've missed it.

Grezda is a decent player but he's been rotten for us in general. He's got ability but he's too lightweight for Scottish Football, he needs to toughen up. Reminds me a wee bit of Beasley in that regard but Beasley was a far better player.

Barisic has shown plenty quality in his appearances so far. Genuinely don't know what planet some people live on. If you're arguing he looks injury prone and maybe a waste of money in that regard then fair doos but surely anyone with eyes can see he's a decent footballer?

Halliday has won the jersey and Borna will be told to sit down if he thinks he’s taking it away from Halliday. Consitant, reliable & giving 100 for the badge.

You can’t be serious?

If a pass is made in the middle of the park to another player, who then turns, shoots, and puts the ball over the bar, does that make the initial pass unsuccessful?

What are you even talking about ? Have you read the full thread ?

Some poster is claiming Barisic had the most crosses into the box, another was claiming he had four assists. I asked what four assists he had as I wasn’t convinced. Someone claimed 2 from Motherwell game, again I’m not convinced.

So in the real world of football not the fantasy league stuff I asked what constituted an “assist”, is that difficult for you to comprehend ?

There is a difference between a pass made that is successful and an aimless cross into the box but we were talking “assists”

Some poster is claiming Barisic had the most crosses into the box, another was claiming he had four assists. I asked what four assists he had as I wasn’t convinced. Someone claimed 2 from Motherwell game, again I’m not convinced.

So in the real world of football not the fantasy league stuff I asked what constituted an “assist”, is that difficult for you to comprehend ?

There is a difference between a pass made that is successful and an aimless cross into the box but we were talking “assists”
An assist constitutes the final/pass or cross to a player before a goal his scores. Doesn’t matter whether it’s a defence splitting pass from 40 yards or passing to the guy next to you who shoots.

Barisic indisputably has 4 assists for us in hardly any games which is pretty good for a left back. It’s not a matter of debate - it’s a fact.

In terms of successful crosses, only crosses that end up at one of our players is classed as “successful”, so aimless crosses wouldn’t meet that criteria.

It’s very clear from watching Barisic that he’s got quality delivery and looks like an excellent player - his injuries are the only disappointing thing about him so far.

Halliday was superb against the tims and has really stepped up this year but Barisic will he first choice when fit and rightly so

You seem to be struggling with the concept of how passing, crossing and assists work.

You clearly took issue with successful crosses, now you’re backtracking and trying to talk about assists.

You’ve made a total arse of it.

U can see borna has it, he just needs to stay fit and get a run of games, let him and Halliday fight for that position as I quiet like Andy in there also.
No sure about gredza he’s been signed with an injury but I just can’t see it with him.

You are completely back peddling and misrepresenting what you said.

Candeias is a regular and will remain a regular this season and we are very much in a title race. You stated clearly that he would not feature regularly for us under Gerrard and he absolutely has.

Nobody, at all, has argued that there is nothing wrong with Grezda. Not a single poster at any stage. People have said that he has not played well enough and that his injuries, the move to a physical league and his new team mates are all factors and that he needs time. Gerrard dropping him does not alter that at all in any single way. It confirms it.

The last paragraph does not even make any sense :D

Anyway, welcome back to the board, I like a debate with you

My view has not changed Candeias has improved-he has become more of a regular due to two main reasons that improvement and injuries-SG will recognise as many posters on here do despite the workrate DC lacks the required quality.

You seem to be struggling with the concept of how passing, crossing and assists work.

You clearly took issue with successful crosses, now you’re backtracking and trying to talk about assists.

You’ve made a total arse of it.

No I never, read the whole thread before being @rsey.

There were two separate issues.

% of crosses that were “successful” and assists Barisic has.

So we reckon Lafferty’s volley at Motherwell from a headed clearance that wasn’t even on target until it got deflected into the other side of the goal is a Barisic assist ?

The games Barisic has actually played in show that game for game, he has the highest crosses into the box of any other player in Scotland. There isnt a better crosser. You'd have to be blind to miss the fact that Barisic is a class act. Only injuries are hindering him.

Where is it these stats get recorded ? Do they also record how many crosses actually reach a team mate ?

If I said what Gerrard said about Grezda on here I'd get banned.

He's only played 7 games because he hasn't shown enough to his manager, simple!

Where is it these stats get recorded ? Do they also record how many crosses actually reach a team mate ?

When the stats aren't in your favour, it becomes time to start questioning the established criteria for an assist.

Just back down already.

My view has not changed Candeias has improved-he has become more of a regular due to two main reasons that improvement and injuries-SG will recognise as many posters on here do despite the workrate DC lacks the required quality.
The injury to who has kept Candeias out?

You stated clearly and regularly that Candeias would not feature often, if at all.

You have repeated on this thread that Rangers will not win the league if Candeias is playing.

You need to take a think about what you are trying to say before you say it, because people can and will cast it up to you.

When the stats aren't in your favour, it becomes time to start questioning the established criteria for an assist.

Just back down already.

Expected you and your fan boys to join in but instead of acting the smart @rse educate us all then on the official criteria of an assist then.

Does Lafferty’s volley go down as an assist to Barisic, simple question.

The injury to who has kept Candeias out?

You stated clearly and regularly that Candeias would not feature often, if at all.

You have repeated on this thread that Rangers will not win the league if Candeias is playing.

You need to take a think about what you are trying to say before you say it, because people can and will cast it up to you.

The obvious thing is SG paid 2.5m for a replacement-I don't think it's much clearer than that.

The injuries to attacking options is obvious.

DC has improved this season without doubt but yes I'd be surprised/shocked if we win the title with him being our first choice right winger.

It's a credit to the player he maintains his position but he is not effective enough for the amount of attacking options we have-at 800k he was a very good signing but he is what he is. Much loved for his effort and application -technically he's not at the standard required to win the league.

If we do win the league-which is clearly being debated everywhere as a viable outcome and he plays as he has recently as a regular then I'll be delighted.

I would have argued his OF appearance might well have been his best game for us.

The obvious thing is SG paid 2.5m for a replacement-I don't think it's much clearer than that.

The injuries to attacking options is obvious.

DC has improved this season without doubt but yes I'd be surprised/shocked if we win the title with him being our first choice right winger.

It's a credit to the player he maintains his position but he is not effective enough for the amount of attacking options we have-at 800k he was a very good signing but he is what he is. Much loved for his effort and application -technically he's not at the standard required to win the league.

If we do win the league-which is clearly being debated everywhere as a viable outcome and he plays as he has recently as a regular then I'll be delighted.

I would have argued his OF appearance might well have been his best game for us.

Daniel Candeias has been, very clearly, one of our best and most consistent performers this season.

The midfielder who cost £2.5 million (creeping up now :D it was not nearly that) has not played well enough as of yet.

I will need to push you on the injuries. Which injuries have meant Candeias has played? Murphy on the left? Kent on the left? Dorrans? (the only one that has a hint of possibility)

We are sat level on points, a handful of goals behind, having just beaten celtic and having qualified for the Europa league group stages, all with Candeias as our first choice right winger. We are very much in a title race and Candeias has been pivotal in that. To suggest that him playing would mean us not winning the league is utterly, incredibly, batshit crazy :D

Last edited:
If I said what Gerrard said about Grezda on here I'd get banned.

He's only played 7 games because he hasn't shown enough to his manager, simple!

Sadly there appears a number of posters with the mentality of a manchild.

Who don’t allow anyone an opinion if it doesn’t fit their agenda. In their small minds you are not allowed to debate a Gerrard decision or signing.

Everyone knows all signings are a gamble but we still have some trying to justify the signing of Sadiq, Gerrard hasn’t been playing all his signings, because after an initial showing some don’t appear to be much better than what we had. He has publically called them out on a number of ocassions and has now marked Grezda’s card, but if we discuss it on here you are made out to be wrong !

It is as if even when the gaffer makes a statement and you repeat it on here you are the enemy.

Odd behaviour.

I tend to take people saying things like "Barisic is shite" the same way i took people saying "Ryan Jack, or Morelos, or Tavernier was shite". I take it as a blatant red flag the person has no fucking clue what they are talking about and their opinions are not to be bothered over.

I've not seen Barisic have one bad game for Rangers and the only bad mistake i've seen him make at any point was against Villarreal, in a top level European game against top spanish opposition. Please spare me the shite about him not being good enough. Anyone with two eyes and a brain can tell you hes been very good when hes played despite the injury problems, and that when he gets a proper run in the team he can become frighteningly good.

Daniel Candeias has been, very clearly, one of our best and most consistent performers this season.

The midfielder who cost £2.5 million (creeping up now :D it was not nearly that) has not played well enough as of yet.

I will need to push you on the injuries. Which injuries have meant Candeias has played? Murphy on the left? Kent on the left? Dorrans? (the only one that has a hint of possibility)

We are sat level on points, a handful of goals behind, having just beaten celtic and having qualified for the Europa league group stages, all with Candeias as our first choice right winger. We are very much in a title race and Candeias has been pivotal in that. To suggest that him playing would mean us not winning the league is utterly, incredibly, batshit crazy :D

If Candeias had started the season as good as you suggest he is or had it in his tank to be the finished right winger would SG have paid his biggest fee for Grezda?

Take your time now.

We can debate where we are in the league and league form this season-if we were really close to the finished article I'd suggest we could be 3-5 points ahead-instead we are a point ahead of Kilmarnock. As such I don't see DC being our ideal right winger-he simply wastes too much of the ball.

Nobody knows how the 2nd half of the season will go but if we finish second and god forbid they win another treble-there will be the type of autopsies we were getting before the OF game and several players will be deemed not good enough.

I thought you were a wee bit smarter than to get carried away with where we are but there you and yes I do get it will a changed squad come the restart.

Grezda I can see why there are question marks. I've observed a player who looks short of confidence and the obvious lack of fitness. Wingers are notoriously hot and cold, and he just hasn't been fit enough to get hot.

A wee bit worrying though is that the best he has played all season wasn't even in our shirt, it was against Scotland for Albania. Injury aside, I do wonder why we haven't seen that player yet?

Looks short in confidence and a bit overawed by Ibrox, us fans and high level of scrutiny in the Glasgow fishbowl.
Only games will fix that and I'm sure he'll get there.

Barisic will be more than fine. He’s a top player.

Grezda has ability but is short on confidence, I hope he can turn it round.

If Candeias had started the season as good as you suggest he is or had it in his tank to be the finished right winger would SG have paid his biggest fee for Grezda?

Take your time now.

We can debate where we are in the league and league form this season-if we were really close to the finished article I'd suggest we could be 3-5 points ahead-instead we are a point ahead of Kilmarnock. As such I don't see DC being our ideal right winger-he simply wastes too much of the ball.

Nobody knows how the 2nd half of the season will go but if we finish second and god forbid they win another treble-there will be the type of autopsies we were getting before the OF game and several players will be deemed not good enough.

I thought you were a wee bit smarter than to get carried away with where we are but there you and yes I do get it will a changed squad come the restart.

Questioning someone’s intelligence while laying the fact we are not ahead in the league on one of our best players...some logic.

Yes, Grezda was brought in to play wide. He has not and while Gerrard specifically said he wanted 2 players for every position, Candeias has cemented his role.

Who is carried away? We are where we are, well ahead of schedule and up against a very much misfiring Celtic. We have added, potentially, some real quality in our 2 most important areas. Yes, absolutely, I think this title is there for the taking. I do not think it is a foregone conclusion and I do not think we will stroll it. I do think we have a fantastic chance though. If we fall short, so be it, we are making the right progress and if that upsets you to see, people genuinely excited for the first time in a long time, oh well.

Edit to add, I am not seeing rafts of people clamouring to say we WILL win the league this season at all. I am seeing Rangers fans with genuine excitement for the first time in ages (as opposed to genuine wishful thinking that we have seen in the past). It is not, in any single way 'getting carried away' to say we have a genuine chance this season and anyone saying it is, well, they are deliberately bending the truth in order to be overly negative and maintain the vision of themselves that they have portrayed on here. Rangers absolutely have a shot at the title this season, 100%, and while it is far from being a foregone conclusion, our business thus far in the window, allied with our league position and the form of the scum should see us come out of the window in better shape than we went in. We went in having beaten them and gone joint top (albeit a game ahead). Anyone NOT excited and hopeful really should just hand in their scarf because what is the point of any of this is when we start to hope we get some of our own calling us thick? You should take a long and very hard look at your attitude and your reasons for watching football mate, in all seriousness.

Last edited:
Questioning someone’s intelligence while laying the fact we are not ahead in the league on one of our best players...some logic.

Yes, Grezda was brought in to play wide. He has not and while Gerrard specifically said he wanted 2 players for every position, Candeias has cemented his role.

Who is carried away? We are where we are, well ahead of schedule and up against a very much misfiring Celtic. We have added, potentially, some real quality in our 2 most important areas. Yes, absolutely, I think this title is there for the taking. I do not think it is a foregone conclusion and I do not think we will stroll it. I do think we have a fantastic chance though. If we fall short, so be it, we are making the right progress and if that upsets you to see, people genuinely excited for the first time in a long time, oh well.

Edit to add, I am not seeing rafts of people clamouring to say we WILL win the league this season at all. I am seeing Rangers fans with genuine excitement for the first time in ages (as opposed to genuine wishful thinking that we have seen in the past). It is not, in any single way 'getting carried away' to say we have a genuine chance this season and anyone saying it is, well, they are deliberately bending the truth in order to be overly negative and maintain the vision of themselves that they have portrayed on here. Rangers absolutely have a shot at the title this season, 100%, and while it is far from being a foregone conclusion, our business thus far in the window, allied with our league position and the form of the scum should see us come out of the window in better shape than we went in. We went in having beaten them and gone joint top (albeit a game ahead). Anyone NOT excited and hopeful really should just hand in their scarf because what is the point of any of this is when we start to hope we get some of our own calling us thick? You should take a long and very hard look at your attitude and your reasons for watching football mate, in all seriousness.

Never called you thick said I'd thought you'd made a poor point. You were last week taking the route of all our signings will be a success who are theirs?

You said you like a ding dong with me and then you moan about...ffs.

Never called you thick said I'd thought you'd made a poor point. You were last week taking the route of all our signings will be a success who are theirs?

You said you like a ding dong with me and then you moan about...ffs.

You said, and I quote, 'I thought you were more intelligent than that'. Not thick exactly, granted, but certainly questioning intellect. But then again, I didn't mention the word thick at all....I said questioning intelligence which, well, is pretty much exactly what the quote is doing :D

I did not once, at any stage, say that all of our signings will be a success. I will donate £100 straight to Erskine when you post up a direct quote saying that. I DID say that IF they are a success, and I even went so far as to point out to you just how careful I was NOT to say that they will all be a success. Stop making things up. THAT is what I am moaning about. There is this with the signings, making up stuff about a single person moving forwards in a formation, the comment that opened the post I have just quoted and a couple of other more minor points. I enjoy a debate with you, but not when you reduce it and start making things up, as you have done all the way through this one.

You said, and I quote, 'I thought you were more intelligent than that'. Not thick exactly, granted, but certainly questioning intellect. But then again, I didn't mention the word thick at all....I said questioning intelligence which, well, is pretty much exactly what the quote is doing :D

I did not once, at any stage, say that all of our signings will be a success. I will donate £100 straight to Erskine when you post up a direct quote saying that. I DID say that IF they are a success, and I even went so far as to point out to you just how careful I was NOT to say that they will all be a success. Stop making things up. THAT is what I am moaning about. There is this with the signings, making up stuff about a single person moving forwards in a formation, the comment that opened the post I have just quoted and a couple of other more minor points. I enjoy a debate with you, but not when you reduce it and start making things up, as you have done all the way through this one.

Jeezo quiet Monday. I could be pedantic and say you know what you even actually got that quote wrong but then again maybe I made it up as well...oh wait.

If you want what I think really happened I think we both probably misunderstood each other around the time you were onto Defoe and where he fitted in.

If I pissed you off I apologise.

Jeezo quiet Monday. I could be pedantic and say you know what you even actually got that quote wrong but then again maybe I made it up as well...oh wait.

If you want what I think really happened I think we both probably misunderstood each other around the time you were onto Defoe and where he fitted in.

If I pissed you off I apologise.

My bad. 'A wee bit smarter than that', makes all the difference right enough :D

Nothing to apologise for. If you want a decent debate, I am all for it. As soon as it gets knocked off track with bullshit, I will say so (and I am pretty sure you would, rightly, do the same)

No I never, read the whole thread before being @rsey.

There were two separate issues.

% of crosses that were “successful” and assists Barisic has.

So we reckon Lafferty’s volley at Motherwell from a headed clearance that wasn’t even on target until it got deflected into the other side of the goal is a Barisic assist ?

Bump for Coda save you looking for it.

And link to stats that may clear up your confusion.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/most-successful-crosses-per-90-in-spfl.56044/

Both players are good technically.What I am seeing is a lack of passion and aggression in their play.These are attributes that the manager insists on at all times and it doesn't look like he fancies their attitude.I watched the gruelling session over in Tenerife with every player giving all they had.The only player called over for a word in his ear was Grezda.

Back