Gerrard on Grezda and Barisic

Bonnyloyal

And Gerrard warned: “Grezda has got it all to prove. He needs to push himself to prove to everyone he’s capable of being a Rangers player.

“First and foremost he needs to win a shirt because at the moment the players who played against Celtic have got the shirts and rightly so.

“He has to show to us in the coming weeks that he wants to win a shirt back and when he gets his opportunity take it and find consistency.”

Grezda’s progress was hampered on Thursday when he suffered a minor foot injury in training at Gers’ mid-winter training camp in Tenerife.

Borna Barisic is another player Gerrard wants to see more from although he concedes the Croat has been hampered by injuries.

He added: “Borna has had a lot of injuries and Grezda came injured.

“This trip is almost like a reset button for both of them and need to use the next two weeks as a mini pre-season to get their bodies ready to cope with the physical demands of Scotland and the regular game schedule.

“There’s no doubt both have got quality. Borna has shown that regularly when he’s played but we haven’t had him fit enough so he needs to get more robust.”

Privately they might.

£4m is a lot of money for us nowadays, especially after the profligacy of the Pedro era.

Not all transfers work out, that’s fair enough, but if neither player cuts it, the odd doubt might creep in should Gerrard and Allen target more eastern European players.
You’re right. Fergie and Guardiola are sh*t too because they signed Taibi and Bravo.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard challenges Eros Grezda to prove he’s got what it takes to play for Gers
The Albanian has failed to live up to expectations after joining in a £2million move from Osijek

By Andy Devlin
11th January 2019, 10:45 pm
Updated: 11th January 2019, 10:45 pm
STEVEN GERRARD has thrown down the gauntlet to Eros Grezda - urging him to prove he has what it takes to play for Rangers.

The Gers boss admits his £2million summer signing has it “all to prove” in the second half of the season.

Grezda has failed to live up to expectations at Rangers
Grezda hasn’t been seen since he was subbed at half-time against St Johnstone last month - scoring just twice since moving from NK Osijek.

And Gerrard warned: “Grezda has got it all to prove. He needs to push himself to prove to everyone he’s capable of being a Rangers player.

“First and foremost he needs to win a shirt because at the moment the players who played against Celtic have got the shirts and rightly so.

“He has to show to us in the coming weeks that he wants to win a shirt back and when he gets his opportunity take it and find consistency.”

Grezda’s progress was hampered on Thursday when he suffered a minor foot injury in training at Gers’ mid-winter training camp in Tenerife.

Borna Barisic is another player Gerrard wants to see more from although he concedes the Croat has been hampered by injuries.

He added: “Borna has had a lot of injuries and Grezda came injured.

KAM AND GET ME Jim McIntyre hints Glen Kamara wants Rangers transfer completed this month
“This trip is almost like a reset button for both of them and need to use the next two weeks as a mini pre-season to get their bodies ready to cope with the physical demands of Scotland and the regular game schedule.

“There’s no doubt both have got quality. Borna has shown that regularly when he’s played but we haven’t had him fit enough so he needs to get more robust.”

Barasic was a no brainer.
A five-year-old could see he was a player.
Grezda is a different proposition, however, more of a punt on a player with good reviews and a reputation.

Barasic will do just fine.
Grezda is one we won't properly judge until he is fully fit and has a run of games at his most robust.

Every transfer is, of course, a punt, but neither of these is deserving of criticism.
Both were, within the strictures of our budget and ambitions, good sensible moves.

Privately they might.

£4m is a lot of money for us nowadays, especially after the profligacy of the Pedro era.

Not all transfers work out, that’s fair enough, but if neither player cuts it, the odd doubt might creep in should Gerrard and Allen target more eastern European players.
They might

The odd doubt

You aren't even convincing yourself

What about the rest of his signings?

Gerrard and Allen are fine - quite clearly they’ve exceeded almost all expectations - but these two players are their most expensive signings to date and if they don’t work out, I think questions might be asked.

For what it’s worth I think Barisic has looked good on the few occasions he’s been fit, but Grezda is a worry, which Gerrard himself echoes in the article.

There’s still plenty of time though.

Clearly not happy with Grezda so far, hopefully he takes heed and we see more from him.
Not being funny, but we signed him injured and couldn't have seen him play when Gerrard became our manager. Who put us onto him.

We spent £4m on this pair.

They need to succeed otherwise questions will arise over the judgment of Gerrard and Allen in the transfer market.
Grezda perhaps as we don't really know much about him previous to coming to Rangers. Barasic you're having a laugh. He is a quality player and been unlucky with injury.

Gerrard and Allen are fine - quite clearly they’ve exceeded almost all expectations - but these two players are their most expensive signings to date and if they don’t work out, I think questions might be asked.

For what it’s worth I think Barisic has looked good on the few occasions he’s been fit, but Grezda is a worry, which Gerrard himself echoes in the article.

There’s still plenty of time though.

To be frank there's a lot of crap posted about our football set up I'm yet to see a player plucked from anywhere that looks like a shrewd piece of scouting that is not directly related to managers or assistant managers.

What is not up for debate is that SG has been able to gel a team quickly but I remain unconvinced that the whole football set up has a strategy beyond the obvious. A dug with a Rangers scarf would have come up with Davis and Defoe for Jan signings....and SG being involved in highlighting the best he's seen elsewhere in Scotland does not a great football set up make.

people underestimate Scottish football at times .
you.aint getting time on the ball and the pace can be hectic

Barisic has been unlucky so far, he looks a very good player. The fact he's in the Croatia squad says it all.

Grezda, on the other hand, is very much needing to convince us he was worth the transfer fee.

Spot on

Barisic to be frank looks like a player out of the box yes but got increasing ineffective before his injury including a game at the Piggery where like the rest of the team looked out his depth.

Way way overrated on here based on what we've seen. Lots of time to asses him and give him time to recover etc but I would pay heed to SG's comments...looks like he's a very honest individual happy to voice concerns over players and actually says...yup you've got talent I bought you...now it's up to you.

Grezda was a Papac recommendation. We took a punt on him.

Gerrard is a rookie manager and will make errors of judgement and I think that's one he probably regrets.

It’s not like you to be so negative mate.

In my defence I am quite a positive person, I just don't think Grezda is going to cut in. I'm not the only one. If you don't agree with me then fair enough

But I think you are getting me mixed up with the poster CambuslangBear. I have a space in my username

Back