Gerrard on Kent and possible outgoings

Hank Hill

Steven Gerrard admits he fears losing one of Rangers’ top stars in the last week of the transfer window - and not being allowed to replace them.

The Ibrox boss claims he’s satisfied with the squad he has to take him through until January and will only add to it if there’s a late chance of heart from Liverpool on a Ryan Kent loan.

But he’s aware of interest in the likes of Alfredo Morelos and James Tavernier and believes a decent bid for any of his main men might end up leaving him short.

Gerrard said: “We’ll find out in the coming days. I predict that a bid will land for one of my players.

"I think you'll see some movement out. There's some offers swirling about for certain individuals, so there will be news broke over the seven or so days that are left.

“But I can't see there being any change the other way unless something comes out of the blue and takes away one of our players we might have to replace.

“That could happen. There's nothing really solid yet that we have to make a decision on, but it's getting warmer as they days go by, so I predict there could be some outgoings.

"I'm comfortable in certain situations with certain personnel going out and playing football, players who are maybe not in my plans.

“What I'm not comfortable with is if a bid comes out of the blue for a player that is in my plans, that's when I would have a decision to make.”

With eight days to go until deadline day, Gerrard is hoping any bid which will be to the detriment of his squad will be knocked back but he confessed: “I think it would depend on what comes from above, what their opinion is on it.

“At the end of the day it’s their money, the players are owned by the board. I want to keep as many good players as I can but I’m also not stupid enough to realise that if a bid comes for a player and the board accept it then it’s a tough position for me to be in.

“I’d give my opinion but at the end of the day we’ve all got bosses haven’t we?”

Asked if he and his scouting staff would be in a position to replace like with like at the last minute, he added: “Of course we always think worst-case scenarios…’what if’, imagine if’. That type of work is always going on.

“I was watching clips of players this morning again, just in case. But certain players are more difficult to replace than others. And each day that goes by, that becomes tougher. "There will be a cut-off point in the coming days where we go ‘we don’t even pick the phone up’. It’s a simple as that because there is no possible way we can move forward and challenge on all fronts if we were to lose a main player.”

Meanwhile despite constant speculation on Kent’s fate at Anfield, Gerrard insists he’s they're still in a shielding pattern.

He sighed: “I don't really want to speak about it because nothing is happening on it.

“There's been no change or developments since the last time we asked Liverpool and were told there wouldn't be a loan situation. Nothing has changed on it.

“But you never give up on trying to improve your team and squad. You never give up on following and tracking top players.

“I made it pretty clear over the course of 12 months working with Ryan how highly I rate him, so I'd never shut the door on any player and certainly top players but I have to understand, respect and appreciate the situation of his parent club, who were obviously very helpful in giving him to us in the first place.

“If you're told no, you have to accept the answer is no until there's ever a time that changes. Where we stand right now that hasn't changed.”

Unless he knows something where is a bid coming from?

The English window is closed...would Tav go to Europe and/or would a club in Europe pay the price for him?

STEVEN GERRARD is an experienced enough European campaigner to know the script.

He knows there are Rangers supporters who’d gladly sit out the group stages of the Europa League to focus on stopping Celtic winning nine in a row.

He’s just as aware that not being in Europe might benefit his side by giving them midweek rest while Celtic are playing abroad.

But he’s NOT willing to subscribe to the theory — because he says Europe is where Rangers DESERVE to be.

As he prepared his side for Thursday’s Europa League return against Legia Warsaw, he said: “I understand the fans’ opinions.

“But they also have to put themselves in my shoes, when you’ve got a board and a chairman who want European football, and you’ve got a fan base desperate to follow the team around Europe.

“I want to coach in Europe. The players want to play in Europe in front of a full Ibrox and play in environments like Legia away.

“Everybody wants it. Would it be an advantage to have just one game a week? I’m sure it would.

“The year Liverpool went really close to winning the Premier League we didn’t have European football. We just had one game to focus on and prepare for and it does give you an advantage.

“If you’re playing a top-four opponent and they’re playing four hours away in Russia, they’re not getting back until 4am or 5am and have one day to prepare and you have four or five days to prepare, there’s your advantage straight away.

“But I’d also say to those people who want to focus on the one competition, imagine I’d put an understrength team out against Legia on Thursday and we’d lost 2-0 or 3-0. Imagine what would be coming in my direction.

“This club needs European football. It’s a simple message. We’re not in a position to quit on Europe and prioritise domestic competition.

“If we want to keep growing, and keep attracting players to make the first XI and the squad stronger, we need to be in a better financial situation.

“That’s what Europe gives you, so it’s pretty simple.

“This club can only compete in the transfer market and keep strengthening with the finances of Europe.

“At big clubs you can’t prioritise. You have to have a squad that’s capable of competing on all fronts.

“That’s the reason I’ve made numerous signings, to make the squad strong enough to cope.

“There were times last year when we felt the effects of playing Thursday-Sunday. At times I looked behind me at the bench and wasn’t certain or confident that, if I took a regular off, I had the same level of player to bring on.

“I’m more confident that the squad’s stronger and further down the line than it was but we’ve got to go and get the results that back that statement up.”

Gerrard insists he’s happy with the squad he has, considering the tests they face in the weeks to come.

A run to the League Cup final and qualification for the Europa League group stages would see Rangers play 26 games between today’s visit to St Mirren and December 15.

But he said: “In terms of personnel and numbers, I’d be comfortable.

“Whether we’ve got the right amount of quality — that’s the challenge and task for us all.

“In terms of having two good players in each position, I’m happy.

“If someone came along with a bid for a player who’s firmly in my plans, that would change because I’d have to replace him.

“We’re in Paisley on Sunday and it took a bit of a fluke goal for us to get over the line there last season. Daniel Candeias scored with a left-footer he claims he meant, though I’m not sure about that.

“It’ll be a tough game in a stadium where the fans are really close, where it’s a small, tight pitch where you feel the pressure.

“I’m sure they’ll sit in and make it difficult for us. They’ve got a bit of pace in their team now and can hit us on the counter-attack.

“They did that to Aberdeen and got a fantastic result, and it took Hibs until the last four or five minutes to get the breakthrough. So I predict a tough game.

“It was very important that when the players finished in Poland on Thursday night, they turned their focus on this and that they really understand the importance of these three points.

“You’d like to go into every game fresh, with full preparation and three of four days’ lead-in where you can have everybody well-drilled.

“You can pull them back before the game and have them like caged animals going into it, full of energy. But at top clubs that’s very rarely the case, especially if you’re in Europe and you’re going Thursday-Sunday.

“But that’s the reason I want healthy numbers in the squad and the same level of player in each position, so that each time you make a change to things or freshen it up, it doesn’t have an impact on the squad.”

Tav isn't going anywhere but England, so I suspect there's serious interest in Morelos. If that's the case, we better have a suitable replacement lined up and the fee we receive should be astronomical.

He isn’t talking about Morelos, he is talking about there being interest in players he wouldn’t have to replace, then goes on to say he wouldn’t like a bid to come out the blue for a player in his plans.

My prediction:

Barisic will go and then we'll sign Taylor from Killie.

We qualify for Europa and then we'll get Kent.

Oh and Tavernier and Morelos will both still be here when Window closes.[/
My prediction:

Barisic will go and then we'll sign Taylor from Killie.

We qualify for Europa and then we'll get Kent.

Oh and Tavernier and Morelos will both still be here when Window closes.

I agree, although I think Kent will be on loan with £8million option. Hope we are right!

After the last couple of days, if we were to lose Tav or Morelos then I might just greet.
That being said if the glass is half full, we sign Kent on the eve of hammering the child abuse enablers

Not a lot of time for a team to put a bid in that is sufficiently massive. If they dick about with the wee £3million bid as a starter again then I can't see that jumping to the £20million or so that we should be asking for within a week.

If Morelos goes then we better have someone scouting players these last few months so we have two or three choices to go for

Morelos wants a straight move to the EPL so I doubt it. If we lose Tav we won’t be able to replace him in my opinion.

I think he’s talking about Grezda, Barisic etc.

Im sure the gaffer said a week or two back that no one would be leaving late in the transfer window as we wouldnt be able to get a replacement in or am I wrong?

No chance those clubs that may have an interest in Morelos aren't going to follow that up with the start he's had.

Losing Morelos would be a major blow. If Defoes good form continues I'd be worried that Bournemouth decide to recall him if they do indeed have that clause.

Losing Morelos would be a major blow. If Defoes good form continues I'd be worried that Bournemouth decide to recall him if they do indeed have that clause.
They could have recalled him this summer, though they cannot now as their window is closed. They also have the opportunity to do so in January, but I think it's very unlikely. They have money to spend on £20m+ strikers if they need one, they're not likely to bring a 37 year old back.

They could have recalled him this summer, though they cannot now as their window is closed. They also have the opportunity to do so in January, but I think it's very unlikely. They have money to spend on £20m+ strikers if they need one, they're not likely to bring a 37 year old back.

Sorry, thats what I meant. If we lose Morelos now and Defoe in Jan. Both possibilities.

Tav is our captain and he takes great pride in that. You can tell from his whole persona and attitude. Rangers is his club, he's not going anywhere. That man is going to lift the league trophy this year and it will mean as much to him as it means to all of us on this forum.

Sorry, thats what I meant. If we lose Morelos now and Defoe in Jan. Both possibilities.

Stop being so defeatist. A massive asteroid could crash into the earth and end mankind! Don't worry about it, enjoy what we have right now and think positively!

Tav is our captain and he takes great pride in that. You can tell from his whole persona and attitude. Rangers is his club, he's not going anywhere. That man is going to lift the league trophy this year and it will mean as much to him as it means to all of us on this forum.
He won't be lifting the league trophy this year, however he will be in 2020

I am a bit worried after reading that. Seems like SG suspects something afoot 're Morelos. As someone states I can see a bid from Germany coming in.

That interview confirms the importance and the draw of Europe. Losing that will cost us.

I'm very surprised there have been posters stating they'd be happy going out of Europe. Just cannot get that mentality.

Kent and a left back are really all we need for signings. Keeping a hold of our key guys and shifting the deadwood is crucial too.

That reads as a ‘hands off’ notice on Tav and Alfie, either aimed at potential buyers or at the board telling them not to consider selling. Or at both.

It tells us nothing about incoming transfers. We all know Gerrard lies. From that information, i’d consider the most likely interpretation is that the Kent deal is all seen up and being signed off and we’ll be signing a left back on Tuesday. Given it’s the opposite of what he’s said.

Back