Gerrard on Morelos looking unhappy to be subbed

Bonnyloyal

Morelos was taken off with Thursday's Europa League clash against Benfica in mind. But he did not look happy to be substituted.

"Does he ever?" Gerrard said. "I can't work it out. We're 4-0 up, he's played well, his team-mate is about to come on, we've got a big game on Thursday.

"I don't know, you'll have to ask Alfredo why he was a bit sad. I wasn't sad, I was very happy.

Strikers being subbed when they haven’t scored will always make them unhappy. That said, reads like a little bit of underlying comment on the Morelos demeanour in the quote from Gerrard. He’s probably fed up with the huffy drawers mentality. As someone on another thread said he probably doesn’t like the fact we are no longer solely reliant on him for the goals.

Morelos was taken off with Thursday's Europa League clash against Benfica in mind. But he did not look happy to be substituted.

"Does he ever?" Gerrard said. "I can't work it out. We're 4-0 up, he's played well, his team-mate is about to come on, we've got a big game on Thursday.

"I don't know, you'll have to ask Alfredo why he was a bit sad. I wasn't sad, I was very happy.

Personally speaking, I thought the image of him sitting sulking in the stand was pretty comical and not a bad thing to see. I like to think he hated being subbed off cos he knew he wasn't at the standard he is capable of, and didn't score. Hopefully it makes him all the more determined to make amends.

0_Rangers-v-Aberdeen-Ladbrokes-Scottish-Premiership.jpg

A picture paints a thousand words.

He's some boy, oor Alfie.... :))

El Buf is really important to how we are playing.

It’s not just about goals he’s pulling CH’s outta position where other players attack in behind them. With him playing a lot with his back to goal he may not get as many opportunities as other who are attacking the space.

As mentioned above it’s fantastic we are not relying solely on El Buf like previous seasons...if he didn’t get the ball to feet holding 2 defenders off & scoring a worldy we struggled to break down teams...we are so much more fluent with superb movement this season & not one dimensional.

El Buf is still our best option as our central striker.

Despite his not scoring, I thought this was one of his best performances for us. He was utterly unplayable. He’s really moved up a level in my opinion this year, he’s the complete player. His link up play is world class. He’s cut out the petulant lashing out. His positional play is incredible.

The only time I had a problem with his reaction to being subbed was in a friendly before season started.

He had been hoachin the whole game and also ripped off the black armband he was wearing in a huff. Thought it was poor.

apart from that, would expect a striker to be unhappy.

Despite his not scoring, I thought this was one of his best performances for us. He was utterly unplayable. He’s really moved up a level in my opinion this year, he’s the complete player. His link up play is world class. He’s cut out the petulant lashing out. His positional play is incredible.
Glad someone has noticed his overall play this season. He's obviously following coaching instructions.

Can't believe there is even an issue here "goal scoring CF substituted before he scores said goal " of course he's pi$$ed off!! I would be angrier if he had just accepted it!!. Ask him just to watch his "playing on the shoulder of their defender" on Thursday, Benfica keep the same high line & the wee fella is on for at least a brace.

Alfie should appreciate we're all in this together.

It's not all about him.
His attitude is healthy though. Ronaldo is probably as selfish and self centred a footballer as I’ve ever seen, but that hasn’t hindered his growth and certainly hasn’t hindered the sides he’s played for much in terms of trophies. It’s healthy for strikers to be desperate for goals.

Can't believe there is even an issue here "goal scoring CF substituted before he scores said goal " of course he's pi$$ed off!! I would be angrier if he had just accepted it!!. Ask him just to watch his "playing on the shoulder of their defender" on Thursday, Benfica keep the same high line & the wee fella is on for at least a brace.
Absolutely! Having watched imposters like Kevin Kyle or Jon Daly happily exiting the park after a shocking performance over the years it’s so refreshing to see this type of passion! It’s almost an embarrassment of riches to be able to take of Alfie or Roofe and decide whether we want to bring on our Swiss internationalist or one of England’s greatest ever strikers to replace them!

Absolutely! Having watched imposters like Kevin Kyle or Jon Daly happily exiting the park after a shocking performance over the years it’s so refreshing to see this type of passion! It’s almost an embarrassment of riches to be able to take of Alfie or Roofe and decide whether we want to bring on our Swiss internationalist or one of England’s greatest ever strikers to replace them!

This is how I see it. I can honestly say that over the last decade I’ve had my fill of seeing players far too comfortable with dropping points and not playing well, stroll off the park looking quite content. I want to see players look angry at not scoring, and looking upset that they’re having to come off the park.

His attitude is healthy though. Ronaldo is probably as selfish and self centred a footballer as I’ve ever seen, but that hasn’t hindered his growth and certainly hasn’t hindered the sides he’s played for much in terms of trophies. It’s healthy for strikers to be desperate for goals.
He's been unselfish this season on the park. That's 1 of the reasons he's not scored as many. Also he's been asked to play a different way but he's passed with quite a few half chances this season when season's past he would've shot. Done it today as well.

Last edited:
The boy wants to score and let's be honest he will probably expect to score every game he plays so it must infuriate him when he doesn't. As someone said I prefer that attitude tbh he clearly wants to be the best he can be. It's really a non story just trying to keep him painted as a Moany wee dick who doesn't listen or will upset the camp. Same old pish.

WATP

After a Real Madrid win, I've seen Ronaldo walk straight off a pitch at FT because he didn't score.

Morelos is desperate to score and annoyed at being taken off and losing the chance to score.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Back