Gerrard on Morelos looking unhappy to be subbed

He's been unselfish this season on the park. That's 1 if the reasons he's not scored as many. Also he's been asked to play a different way but he's passed with quite a few half chances this season when season's past he would've shot. Done it today as well.
Completely agree. He’s clearly following instructions, and let’s face it, if he wasn’t he’d be getting dropped.

Despite his not scoring, I thought this was one of his best performances for us. He was utterly unplayable. He’s really moved up a level in my opinion this year, he’s the complete player. His link up play is world class. He’s cut out the petulant lashing out. His positional play is incredible.

What an odd take.

No striker wants off, especially when 4-0 up and the floodgates may be opening

His play this season has brought more players in to the game as opposed to the attacks being solely reliant on him. He will be dying to score but hopefully realises he is pivotal to what we are doing and will be lifting silverware at the end of season

Completely agree. He’s clearly following instructions, and let’s face it, if he wasn’t he’d be getting dropped.
Happy medium. I would like to see him being a bit more selfish in and around the 18 yard box. Completely on board with him dropping deeper and linking up deeper from where he used to play the majority of a game.

Do you think he looks comfortable playing this position?
I think it frustrates him because that’s not his game.
As we seen with the 3 stray passes that they broke on.

Despite his not scoring, I thought this was one of his best performances for us. He was utterly unplayable. He’s really moved up a level in my opinion this year, he’s the complete player. His link up play is world class. He’s cut out the petulant lashing out. His positional play is incredible.
Wow - you been on the bevy ? I thought he was fairly average today primarily as in the first half he twice gave the ball away just inside their half with very poor passes, allowing them to break quickly on us. We were so much on top but doing that can really catch you out.

This was my take on it. P*ssed at himself because he hadn’t scored. Desperate to stay on so he could. Did take any of it as being aimed at his manager or team mates.
The difference is the role he is playing, he is creating chances just by his movement. There were fools who said he wasn’t up for it from the game at Pittodrie, yet it was his dropping deep that allowed Kent the run at goal. It’s a move we have profited from a few times this season. Yes he doesn’t score as many goals but his work rate and contribution is immense. Viva Alfie. WATP

I’d rather have a player who’s raging at the thought of coming off rather than a player/s who don’t wanna play for us anymore .. plenty of them over the other side of the city
True.

At least he didn't go his phone like some indisciplined losing clown did the other week.

Morelos is his own biggest critic and will sort it out.

I see it as a good thing that he’s not happy being taken off, especially when we’re comfortably ahead. Shows a mentality that he’s always looking for more which is good, he played well today despite not scoring

I know it might be contradictory but I think we need to sell Morelos for our record fee and reinvest for the squad to go up a further level he'll be the big player we will be open to offers for

Do you think he looks comfortable playing this position?
I think it frustrates him because that’s not his game.
As we seen with the 3 stray passes that they broke on.
I think he’s come into it. The 3 passes were just slack play playing very short straightforward passes, he’s done it more than a few times when playing as our lone striker too, it’s something he still has to tighten up though.

Overall, I think everyone is contributing well in their roles and it’s beginning to pay dividends.

This is what the phrase, mountain out of a molehill was made for.
Exactly right, so many positives today and these clowns are trying to make something out of a non story.
I would be more worried if he was happy being subbed,it's part of why he's a great wee player.
He wants to score in every game.

Don't really think there's much in it. Occam's Razor, striker didn't score and got subbed off and is annoyed.

Everyone is the same if they don't play well at all levels of football from professional to having a kick about with your mates.

Surely the answer is obvious why he wasn’t happy? Unhappy Striker in not scoring and being subbed off shocker.
But he can’t say that. If he does, it get spun as the manager is having a dig at him.

the boss is too streetwise and smart for that.

he’s answered the question, praised the player and avoided any issues

People raging a player is raging that he’s not scored just for the sake of being raging.

As long as he channels it correctly, which he tends to do then he’ll be fine.

Was laughing an awful lot at him, that’s only rivalled by his face when Gerrard subbed him against County.

I thought he was mixed, at best. Dragged the centre backs about well but put Aberdeen through on Jack and our centre backs three times during the 1st half with over hit lay offs. I was surprised he played today.

0_Rangers-v-Aberdeen-Ladbrokes-Scottish-Premiership.jpg

A picture paints a thousand words.

He's some boy, oor Alfie.... :))
He is a torn faced wee qunt, isn’t he.
Love him though.
Glad he’s our torn faced wee qunt.

Morelos was taken off with Thursday's Europa League clash against Benfica in mind. But he did not look happy to be substituted.

"Does he ever?" Gerrard said. "I can't work it out. We're 4-0 up, he's played well, his team-mate is about to come on, we've got a big game on Thursday.

"I don't know, you'll have to ask Alfredo why he was a bit sad. I wasn't sad, I was very happy.
Just want to emphasise this for the detractors in our support.
Although, they’ll still argue about it.

Super summed it up - no striker, especially of the calibre that is the best striker in the league by a staggering distance (stats/facts Declan - leave that kid alone) would be happy. It just happens that our Alfie has a resting bitch face that any wife would be proud of.

He’s raging he didn’t score. It’s a nothing story but don’t let that distract you from how well we played today.

Papers love a Morelos sulking story.

Walking off, chucking his gloves down on the ground at the dugout, not even a handshake or a look at his replacement from what I seen .. not for me.

Again, seeing the usual excuses being trotted out for him. Same excuses I seen when he had a similar reaction in a friendly against Coventry.

He needs to realise it’s not all about him. It’s about the team.

Personally after his first half performance and giving the ball away countless times, I’d say he was fortunate not to be replaced at HT

He better, his petulance and childish antics deserve a kick in the criggs at times.

What at being disappointed at being substituted RR ?

Come on man.

Im delighted at Rangers players wanting to play every minute. For example, the Edwards tackle on him ? He still started against Benfica, and was great.

Does that sound like a petulant prima Donna ?

What at being disappointed at being substituted RR ?

Come on man.

Im delighted at Rangers players wanting to play every minute. For example, the Edwards tackle on him ? He still started against Benfica, and was great.

Does that sound like a petulant prima Donna ?
He should realize by now SG is doing it for a reason, namely to save him for Benfica.

He should realize by now SG is doing it for a reason, namely to save him for Benfica.

I agree. That was the right decision for the squad & the club.

But the fact that the boy just wants to play football is a good one.

We’ve recently seen examples of Rangers players who want to be footballers so they can grab the women, despite COVID restrictions.

Give me the guy who wants to play all the time all day long mate.

Alternative headline - Morelos grinning from ear to ear at being subbed despite not scoring, laughing and joking in stands and playing games on his phone.

I know which I prefer.

Walking off, chucking his gloves down on the ground at the dugout, not even a handshake or a look at his replacement from what I seen .. not for me.

Again, seeing the usual excuses being trotted out for him. Same excuses I seen when he had a similar reaction in a friendly against Coventry.

He needs to realise it’s not all about him. It’s about the team.

Personally after his first half performance and giving the ball away countless times, I’d say he was fortunate not to be replaced at HT
Agree, any sheep attack came from a miss pass from Morelos. Happy he is unhappy when subbed but what a team we would be with a good centre forward, the missing link in my humble opinion.

Back