Gerrard on Morelos

Aye, because thats the part I mostly took issue with. Whats your point caller?

There are definitely many creating straw man arguments to have a pop at Morelos and your post, and in particular the words I quoted are a perfect example of that.

If you dont want people questioning what you wrote, dont write it.
What a big baby

It’s not up for debate he played poorly last night. But only those not chasing him out of the club with pitchforks for the lowest fee possible are using any kind of common sense and reason in this debate.

Decent post.
Morelos was quite clear when he signed that he intended to move to a bigger league. A lot of people seem to be in denial about this and pretend he wants away because he’s not welcome, which is absolute nonsense. No one’s chasing him out the door. If he wants to move up a league he needs to do it on the pitch.

Morelos was quite clear when he signed that he intended to move to a bigger league. A lot of people seem to be in denial about this and pretend he wants away because he’s not welcome, which is absolute nonsense. No one’s chasing him out the door. If he wants to move up a league he needs to do it on the pitch.
Seems to be a reasonable set of points overall. On your last sentence I would say he has done that and that’s why there is interest to buy him at many multiples of what we bought him for.

Seems to be a reasonable set of points overall. On your last sentence I would say he has done that and that’s why there is interest to buy him at many multiples of what we bought him for.
Aye but he needs to keep doing it. His attitude is questionable, how you can defend that is beyond me

While I agree with Gerrard that Alfredo has been distracted mentally by the recent interest in him, I'd like to think that he understands that being at Rangers -- and being a Rangers player -- has been great for him.

On the last match (Leverkusen): he didn't have his best game at Leverkusen away, but I felt that he was still trying things (although they did not come off for him) and finding positions.

On the body composition thing: personally, I am not too concerned about his body composition. Granted, I do feel he is carrying some "water weight". However, he could lose that quickly by cutting down on his complex carbohydrates and sugars while maintaining his current level of training. He could see results in as little as 1-2 weeks by doing this.

Looking ahead: I feel he will probably move on soon, perhaps to Lille or another interested club, and that the club will get the right price.

An outside chance of another season?: On the other hand, I've been thinking lately that there is an outside chance that Morelos could in fact stay at the club for another season. I'd be confident (delighted in fact) with 3 young strikers competing, plus Defoe (who is now aging and becoming more injury prone) as back-up. If Morelos does stay, it is essential for him to get back into the right mindset -- and to focus on his training and his football.

Last edited:
It does look like his head has been turned and you would certainly think that the most likely scenario is that he will end up going. Equally, I really don’t think we are going to lower our asking price and, if it isn’t met, I can see a scenario where he stays and Alfie gets his head straight again and knuckles down.
I would like to think so too, however, I don't think he could be number 1 striker. We have young blood in the team looking for his starting place and Defoe who does want to be there who could, in all probability, start before him. It would take a lot to trust him with leading the striking options, given recent form and where his heads at. He needs to show true commitment. I'm an Alfie fan but its Rangers first.

It’s obvious that his head is turned, he’s still overweight and does not look like he wants to be here at all.
I wouldn’t say he’s overweight, just not at trim and fit as he could be, and that’s costing him in sharpness. It could be that he can’t be bothered anymore or it could be the effects of the layoff. (I’m sure he’s not the only one who didn’t burst a gut training unsupervised) We will see if he improves in the coming weeks if he stays. However, you would think if he is really after a deal elsewhere he’d be doing all he can to impress new suitors, including looking in great shape.

I agree that he has been distracted mentally by the recent interest in him (I fully agree with Gerrard on that one)

On the last match: he didn't have his best game at Leverkusen away, but I felt that he was still trying things (although they did not come off for him) and finding positions.

I think this is the crux of what many are failing to understand.

Seems like a Rooney type in terms of lifestyle/ fitness- needs to be playing every week to be on top of that.

The difference between Thursday and Sunday was not his effort and application.

The difference was:

Thursday Leverkusen > Rangers
Sunday Rangers > St Mirren

It's a completely different game as a forward when your team is dominating possession, territory and the match than when the reverse is true.

Out gunned by a better team on Thursday no doubt. It's not that he didnt try, its that the whole team didnt get a sniff. Dont deny he was poor on Thursday (as were 8 or 9 of the team). But it wasn't for a lack of want. And today just proved that. If what they say about not wanting to try is true, there is no way anyone is more motivated to perform in the SPL again St Mirren than they are in Europe v a top class German team.

2 wins from 2 in the league. 100% record
Morelos a pivotal role in both wins
Rangers scored 4. Morelos scored 2 of them with a key role in the other 2.

Not bad for a guy who has chucked it.

(For the record I still expect him to go and the manager to reinvest in 1 or 2 more)

Still a bit torn.

Today’s performance doesn’t wipe out the absolute shocker against Leverkusen for me. He was still uninterested and lazy, and the gaffer admitted as much. I know they were better, but he barely tried.

I learned nothing about Morelos today, two goals and an assist at home to St Mirren is almost par for him, but again for me it’s concerning how much we rely on the central striker.

He was back at it and involved in everything good we did today. Whether he’s realising he’ll need to perform to get himself a move or content still to be here for the time being we should enjoy it while it lasts.

I honestly hope we come to some sort of agreement that he can go next summer even if it means we accept a lesser fee. We’ve signed better players to play with and around him and he’s more than capable of raising his own level again to get the big move he craves.

Fair play to Gerrard for sticking with him today when most (me included) were certain we'd never see him again and that Itten would come in.

Back