Gerrard on Morelos

Well we’ve done that with no Morelos sale (unless it’s been done and we only kept him due to having no other striker for Leverkusen). Roofe isn’t a centre forward, and Hagi or Aribo wedged wide right just doesn’t work consistently, so in effect we have Itten and Defoe for through the middle. I’m not deluded at all. We went with just Morelos and Defoe post Christmas and look what happened. We want to win a league. We need another option when Morelos goes even if it’s a loan.
Roofe IS a centre forward.

I really hope he's gone today. Never thought I'd say that but I want him out of our club now before his value decreases even more and his attitude stinks out the place.

Can't be helping morale in the squad seeing an obviously talented player down tools and not giving a %^*& about team mates or fans.

Never change FF

0BiQxbc.png

Never change

Never mind that, how did you get black mode?

Thank the board and management for bringing in two strikers when they did. Don't fancy Alfie being our only option for upcoming League fixtures. Looks like he just wants to go. Very disappointed in his lack of professionalism.
Despite setting up the only goal of the match in our last league game. Embarrassing drivel.

Well we’ve done that with no Morelos sale (unless it’s been done and we only kept him due to having no other striker for Leverkusen). Roofe isn’t a centre forward, and Hagi or Aribo wedged wide right just doesn’t work consistently, so in effect we have Itten and Defoe for through the middle. I’m not deluded at all. We went with just Morelos and Defoe post Christmas and look what happened. We want to win a league. We need another option when Morelos goes even if it’s a loan.
I agree, we need more up front. Seems to be lost on some that they have 4 strikers and are looking for a 5th! May mean one is out the door, but we need more firepower. Prior to the Morelos bid some where saying we need 2 strikers after Defoe got injured, which of course is 4. If we go to 3 we should get back to 4. Also with Roofe, he can play across the front 3 and the wings, but I think he’s been most prolific as a CF, looking forward to seeing him!

1 goal in 2020. A late goal in a cup tie already won.

I really hope this deals done behind scenes, if not, his value is dropping. We can’t be stuck with someone whose head is gone.

We went with two post Christmas and now with Roofe and Itten (and Defoe) it's three so there's a difference right away.

If you think we're signing a 4th player to sit behind Defoe you're off your nut. We'd either be spending a good chunk of money for a 3rd / 4th choice striker who never plays or not spending much and having a player (like Barker or Jones) who ultimately isn't good enough to play at all.

If we spend a penny more in this window it should be on one or two midfielders.
It should be a second player to sit behind Itten. Roofe should be right in the three behind the striker.
Defoe should be used sparingly this season. You honestly think we have enough up front? You’re the one that’s off your nut if you do. You forgotten January already? Defoe injured, Morelos suspended.

Roofe played through the middle for Leeds. Do you reckon he could score 12 spl goals in a season?
I’d bloody well hope so but I’d rather see him on the right of the three behind another striker. Otherwise we’re playing Aribo or Hagi out of position.

Despite setting up the only goal of the match in our last league game. Embarrassing drivel.
You seem to be really backing him. Answer me an honest question, does he look in the right physical condition for our higher paid player?

He hasn't scored since we've returned, and his form isn't his best, but his work rate has been good, and last night was a typical away tie; he led the line well last night against a very good side. In every game so far Morelos has worked hard for the team. His goals will return; where he plays when they do is neither here nor there to my initial point.
Agree with all this, except “he led the line well last night”. He was poor last night, but I put that down more to the fact the whole team couldn’t compete rather than he has a bad attitude.

I really hope he's gone today. Never thought I'd say that but I want him out of our club now before his value decreases even more and his attitude stinks out the place.

Can't be helping morale in the squad seeing an obviously talented player down tools and not giving a %^*& about team mates or fans.
“Even more”. When did he value decrease?

It should be a second player to sit behind Itten. Roofe should be right in the three behind the striker.
Defoe should be used sparingly this season. You honestly think we have enough up front? You’re the one that’s off your nut if you do. You forgotten January already? Defoe injured, Morelos suspended.

You can count to three, eh?

If January happens again and Roofe is injured and Itten suspended, Defoe would play sparingly as you say.

That's the difference from January.

So you want a player better than Defoe to sit on the bench most weeks? That's going to be a Dykes+ level of player around £2m or so.

Even after Roofe, Itten and Defoe you've got Stewart who is capable at SPFL level for a a few minutes...and even after that Murphy is now fit too.

I'd be spending that on a midfielder first. We've got enough upfront until January when it can be addressed if there's a SERIOUS set of problems with all three.

Otherwise it's all going on a player to shift Jack, Davis or Kamara down a spot in the pecking order.

I’m not making out tonight was make or break I’m making out that if you’re the buying club and you’re at your maximum and tempted to go that bit further, yet another game in which he hasn’t scored and sadly looked like he has regressed, won’t help to convince you to go back in again.
fair enough. That’s predicated on your assumption they are at their maximum. Which none of us no if it’s the case.

You can count to three, eh?

If January happens again and Roofe is injured and Itten suspended, Defoe would play sparingly as you say.

That's the difference from January.

So you want a player better than Defoe to sit on the bench most weeks? That's going to be a Dykes+ level of player around £2m or so.

Even after Roofe, Itten and Defoe you've got Stewart who is capable at SPFL level for a a few minutes...and even after that Murphy is now fit too.

I'd be spending that on a midfielder first. We've got enough upfront until January when it can be addressed if there's a SERIOUS set of problems with all three.

Otherwise it's all going on a player to shift Jack, Davis or Kamara down a spot in the pecking order.
I agree, midfield should now be priority. And it has to be quality recruitment. By the way you don’t need to be an utter wank with your count to three chat to be clear.

“Even more”. When did he value decrease?
I think it's decreased a fair bit this year.
We'd have been able to get a lot more now had his form not nose dived off a cliff in 2020.
Had he kept up his form from last year, we'd be looking at a lot more than we will get now.

I agree, midfield should now be priority. And it has to be quality recruitment. By the way you don’t need to be an utter wank with your count to three chat to be clear.

Don't argue the point twice then if you actually agree with it to be crystal clear.

I think you may just have hit on the reason why our form collapsed after our winter break. Davis in particular seemed to lose interest. Could it be down to the special treatment Alfie seemed to get from our management team?

Just a thought. That is all.

On current form you wouldn’t give 2 bob for him, so unless there’s a deal already struck we’re going to really struggle to get value for him.

If his form right now is linked to him knowing he’s going then let’s hope it happens sooner rather than later.

That said, better players than Morelos will have a tough match vs Leverkusens centre backs, they were top drawer, even on top form I think he’d have struggled against them.

I think you may just have hit on the reason why our form collapsed after our winter break. Davis in particular seemed to lose interest. Could it be down to the special treatment Alfie seemed to get from our management team?

Just a thought. That is all.

Aye, that will be it :rolleyes:

Do wonder if those throwing their toys out the pram last night were the same ones who though we were going to go over to their place and turn them over 3-0. Might explain a lot.
I expect so.

Also the same ones who thought it was magic when Kent downed tools at Liverpool to get a move here, and when Alfie's agent was replying to them on twitter before he came here.

It's also the typical FF reaction when someone is leaving - jilted burd - wait for "he'll never find a set of fans who love him as much as us"

Roofe can play along a front 3 but has been his most prolific for Leeds when played through the middle so he is a centre forward.
As is Itten, as is Defoe. I’d be surprised if we bought another striker.

A more creative central midfielder is definitely our priority now. Sadly Davis isn’t the player he was and Jack is good, but not quite good enough

Not convinced his move will happen after last night.

If you were Lille watching that and seeing his condition you’d be seriously unimpressed.
Based solely on recent form you would be right. But based on the last 2 years you wouldn’t. They will just assumed he has downed tools to force through a move.

No idea if he has or not but he certainly wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last to do it. It’s pretty common these days.

He’s a guy that has played through the middle or wide. If he’s a direct replacement for Morelos that would be disappointing because he’s hardly prolific. 39 in his last 138 games. That’s a pretty mediocre return.
So you want to buy another player for centre forward when we have Itten, Roofe, Defoe and Stewart?
Don't you think the money should be spent elsewhere?

So you want to buy another player for centre forward when we have Itten, Roofe, Defoe and Stewart?
Don't you think the money should be spent elsewhere?
Stewart isn’t good enough. He should be offloaded. Defoe is 38 and picking up injuries more and more. Roofe I would play on the right of the three behind a main striker or right of a front three.

But yes I’d like a quality midfielder first, in the style of a Barry Ferguson. Not enough drive or physical presence in there.

On current form you wouldn’t give 2 bob for him, so unless there’s a deal already struck we’re going to really struggle to get value for him.

If his form right now is linked to him knowing he’s going then let’s hope it happens sooner rather than later.

That said, better players than Morelos will have a tough match vs Leverkusens centre backs, they were top drawer, even on top form I think he’d have struggled against them.
Dunno mate, Alfie of pre Xmas would have been all over them like a rash and he'd have loved the physical battle with that monster at the back. He's chucked it. Sad to say, but he's checked out.

In hindsight now the ”the games up“ hand across the neck gesture was him telling us he’s had enough of football in Scotland, the subsequent fallout from the gesture, the hounding of his Mrs. The car tampering it all had to have an effect on the lad, when he goes the poets & their apologists in the mhedia would’ve got what they wanted.

Rangers have underestimated the effect the transfer of Candeias has had on Morelos. He was his friend and translator, and although Morelos has learned some basic English, I think he has problems communicating effectively. I don’t think going to France is a good idea unless there’s a French version of Candeias in the team.

He only had one fit striker.
Needed to hope he would turn up tonight, so don’t know what you expect Gerrard to say.
If his head is turned and Gerrard knew that before the game, I’d rather we just started with Stewart/Jones. At least we’d have someone playing who’d have tried for the time they were on the pitch. Anyway, that’s all I’m saying on it now.

Just get him sold now that game is done and we’ve signed Roofe and Itten.

Gerrard is being honest here. He couldnt say anything else
I think Gerrard it terrific because of his honesty and that is to be admired in any man in any walk of life. But in football it is not always better than saying "no comment". If the fans hear the manager say his head has been turned, how does he come back from this if his move falls through. Will always have that tag that he didnt give 100% in every match and that is what the manager has just said. Like most are saying, if he gets the move (for the right money) that is best for all. If on the other hand he goes for a small discount that isnt so good.

Rangers have underestimated the effect the transfer of Candeias has had on Morelos. He was his friend and translator, and although Morelos has learned some basic English, I think he has problems communicating effectively. I don’t think going to France is a good idea unless there’s a French version of Candeias in the team.

From July to December last year was his best spell for us by a mile, after Candeias left.

In hindsight now the ”the games up“ hand across the neck gesture was him telling us he’s had enough of football in Scotland, the subsequent fallout from the gesture, the hounding of his Mrs. The car tampering it all had to have an effect on the lad, when he goes the poets & their apologists in the mhedia would’ve got what they wanted.
Let’s face it he can’t blame everyone else but himself. Fair points you highlight but wherever he goes, and the higher he goes, the more of a marked man you become.
If he can’t handle that then he won’t go as far as talent should have done.

Back