Gerrard on Morelos

I don’t think they’d base it on one game, or even a few games recently, he’s shown what he is capable of over a far longer period, but we need it done soon.
They'll know exactly what he's up to. Jelavic threatened to go on strike to force a move to us, didn't change our view on him.

He has always been huffy, I guess this should not come as a surprise but it’s shame if this is the way he wants to go out.
The most concerning thing is damage being done to his transfer value.

So you want to buy another player for centre forward when we have Itten, Roofe, Defoe and Stewart?
Don't you think the money should be spent elsewhere?
Mate come on you cant honestly think Stewart is good enough to be on the bench, nevetr mind be counted as a st for us.

If AM leaves, we need another st.

Mate come on you cant honestly think Stewart is good enough to be on the bench, nevetr mind be counted as a st for us.

If AM leaves, we need another st.
As fourth choice he is fine. I honestly don't understand where people think the money is coming from?
Alfredo sale covers 2 that are in plus a midfielder.

The wee man obviously feeds off the Rangers support and feels the love but if he can't give 100% in the blue jersey at all times then it's no good for the club and he needs to go asap in order to settle the team for the new season.

He is nowhere near good enough to be on the bench, mindblowing any fan can watch him and say he is fine as evan a back up.

We play with one striker. So Roofe or Itten start, Defoe's on the bench with the one that doesn't start. Stewart is the backup's backup.

Last night I was thinking Deja vu with Marco negri, when hes in the groove hes top notch but his lack maturity is a real weakness. Maybe im being too harsh given the crap hes had to put up with in Scotland, but he needs to learn to keep the head and focus on his game.

So you want to buy another player for centre forward when we have Itten, Roofe, Defoe and Stewart?
Don't you think the money should be spent elsewhere?
Stewart, lol.

He had his Forrester moment last night. Horrendous decision making from a poor player.

Don't understand his mentality, he was in the shop window last night and had the opportunity to show what he is made of and to possibly up his price and wages. This could have been a thank you to us the fans and could maybe have tempted some big teams to show interest.
I love Alfie the wee man has been good for us and we have been good for him but its time to say goodbye.

Last night I was thinking Deja vu with Marco negri, when hes in the groove hes top notch but his lack maturity is a real weakness. Maybe im being too harsh given the crap hes had to put up with in Scotland, but he needs to learn to keep the head and focus on his game.
I've felt similar apart from Negri didn't pick up the following season and give us another good half season. Morelos has seemed to be a half season wonder, apart from the fact that he's not picked up again this season, similar to Negri.

Roofe can play along a front 3 but has been his most prolific for Leeds when played through the middle so he is a centre forward.
As is Itten, as is Defoe. I’d be surprised if we bought another striker.

A more creative central midfielder is definitely our priority now. Sadly Davis isn’t the player he was and Jack is good, but not quite good enough
I think we'll sign another project player who can play all accross the front line.

Those who think we are buying another striker this window, surely you can see why thats not going to happen?

Stewart, lol.

He had his Forrester moment last night. Horrendous decision making from a poor player.
Am I saying he is first choice?
He is a decent 4th choice, that's it. If we can sell him and get better, fair enough. We aren't adding a player to sit beside him on the bench, that's for sure.

I think you may just have hit on the reason why our form collapsed after our winter break. Davis in particular seemed to lose interest. Could it be down to the special treatment Alfie seemed to get from our management team?

Just a thought. That is all.
So now Davis is being unprofessional and losing interest cuz he thinks Gerard likes Alfie more than him. Ha. Brilliant. For the record I don’t think Davis is such a big girls blouse.

I expect so.

Also the same ones who thought it was magic when Kent downed tools at Liverpool to get a move here, and when Alfie's agent was replying to them on twitter before he came here.

It's also the typical FF reaction when someone is leaving - jilted burd - wait for "he'll never find a set of fans who love him as much as us"
Great analogy that explains the emotional outbursts. The jilted bird. Nice one.

Based solely on recent form you would be right. But based on the last 2 years you wouldn’t. They will just assumed he has downed tools to force through a move.

No idea if he has or not but he certainly wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last to do it. It’s pretty common these days.
1 more in the “not lost their mind” camp. Good to see. Reasoned opinions for the win.

Do people honestly think clubs like Lille scout a player for months and then say no because of one bad game, especially in these current surreal circumstances?

Come on, that’s laughable.

Any idea of ‘they’ll not want him after last bight’ is genuinely ridiculous.
Yes, literally dozens of stark raving lunatics in our support think this. Wonder if they go through their life and their job making knee jerk reactions on the most recent incident only.

Genuine question:

Has any Rangers player in the past shown such patchy form over the course of his time with the club, allowed to make multiple mistakes both on and off the pitch, had clubs take absolutely no interest in him and still be regarded by vast swathes of the support as being indispensable towards success, despite being part of successive failures in the past?

Genuine question:

Has any Rangers player in the past shown such patchy form over the course of his time with the club, allowed to make multiple mistakes both on and off the pitch, had clubs take absolutely no interest in him and still be regarded by vast swathes of the support as being indispensable towards success, despite being part of successive failures in the past?

I think people lose a bit of perspective judging him because he's been one of the few shining lights in a dark period for the club. People claiming he's our most complete striker since Hateley and better than Ronald De Boer, etc is just ludicrous. I think people are so desperate for success that they exaggerate his abilities and make wild comparisons to players pre-2012 who actually achieved things with us without taking into account the quality of opposition compared to those days and the quality of Rangers teams.

It's unfair on him because whatever else has happened he's been tremendous value.

Genuine question:

That thinking is understandable because he is the best player we have had in a long time. He has played a huge part for us - particularly in Europe, which has generated much needed cash for the club. We will make a tidy profit on him when he goes.

I do think that now is the right time for him to go. And he should go with our thanks and best wishes etc. As for the failure of this squad to deliver on the domestic front, Morelos has had some low moments but I would suggest he is quite far down the list of those we might blame for not winning anything.

So now Davis is being unprofessional and losing interest cuz he thinks Gerard likes Alfie more than him. Ha. Brilliant. For the record I don’t think Davis is such a big girls blouse.

Is that what you gleaned from my post?

Genuine question:

Nope. It genuinely baffles me how some of our fans treat like him some sort of God.

Truth is he’s been very good for £1m. But he’s also let us down in countless big games with nonsense red cards and suspensions.

Throw in he has been part of teams that haven’t won a trophy, hasn’t scored against Celtic and with the countless sitters he’s missed against them, had a big hand in costing us the league cup final as well.

I won’t be bothered when he goes. Good player when he fancies it but not even in the same league as some of our previous strikers that left us such as Jelavic.

IMO Morelos going will actually help us given the new guys we’ve brought in.

At first I thought the unconditional adulation was from wee guys under 18 who have only really seen us properly when we were lingering in the lower leagues and seeing guys like Kyle and Sandaza. But surprisingly a lot of the folk refusing to criticise Morelos for anything are grown men.

Nope. It genuinely baffles me how some of our fans treat like him some sort of God.

Truth is he’s been very good for £1m. But he’s also let us down in countless big games with nonsense red cards and suspensions.

Throw in he has been part of teams that haven’t won a trophy, hasn’t scored against Celtic and with the countless sitters he’s missed against them, had a big hand in costing us the league cup final as well.

I won’t be bothered when he goes. Good player when he fancies it but not even in the same league as some of our previous strikers that left us such as Jelavic.

IMO Morelos going will actually help us given the new guys we’ve brought in.

At first I thought the unconditional adulation was from wee guys under 18 who have only really seen us properly when we were lingering in the lower leagues and seeing guys like Kyle and Sandaza. But surprisingly a lot of the folk refusing to criticise Morelos for anything are grown men.

I think there's an massive elephant in the room that rarely gets addressed when people talk about Morelos needing to be at the club for us to win the title: hasn't he been our striker for the last three barren seasons, in which we've won nothing at all? What's going to change this time around?

I'm constantly reminded of that quote, "Unhappy the land in need of heroes." We needed a hero. Morelos didn't quite fit that mould for us but people were happy to pretend that he did.

By the way, the reference to Jelavic is interesting: he played for us for literally a year (only 56 times in total) and didn't really get to play in Europe but got a move to a bigger team than Lille, in a far superior league, on the back of one good season. Interesting that Morelos is now into season four with the club and still hasn't left.

Morelos' lasting legacy at Rangers will be difficult to assess, I'd say. If we go onto win things this year you could say it was comparable with some of the efforts of guys like Miller and Waghorn in taking us up a level.

I think there's an massive elephant in the room that rarely gets addressed when people talk about Morelos needing to be at the club for us to win the title: hasn't he been our striker for the last three barren seasons, in which we've won nothing at all? What's going to change this time around?

I'm constantly reminded of that quote, "Unhappy the land in need of heroes." We needed a hero. Morelos didn't quite fit that mould for us but people were happy to pretend that he did.

By the way, the reference to Jelavic is interesting: he played for us for literally a year (only 56 times in total) and didn't really get to play in Europe but got a move to a bigger team than Lille, in a far superior league, on the back of one good season. Interesting that Morelos is now into season four with the club and still hasn't left.

Morelos' lasting legacy at Rangers will be difficult to assess, I'd say. If we go onto win things this year you could say it was comparable with some of the efforts of guys like Miller and Waghorn in taking us up a level.

Totally agree

For me his legacy will be the guy that was likeable, done superb in Europe for us and netted us our biggest transfer fee

In terms of on field contribution, guys like Miller and Jelavic are a league above IMO

Absolutely. Davis is a mature man and a professional. Last night it looked like he was toiling in the heat but also their one touch stuff would have a lot teams chasing shadows.

Slightly tongue in cheek but Shearer was a player and didnt win anything at Newcastle. OK, more excellent sides in England but for 2-3 seasons they couldnt get across the line in any comp whilst being right up there

Slightly tongue in cheek but Shearer was a player and didnt win anything at Newcastle. OK, more excellent sides in England but for 2-3 seasons they couldnt get across the line in any comp whilst being right up there

I'm not sure that analogy works at all though, does it?

Shearer was a vastly superior player surrounded by guys who weren't as good and playing for a team that last won something in the fifties.

Some guys on here seem to think a guy who has played in a series of failed teams (and must shoulder some of the blame for that as well) is indispensable towards future success for a club for whom second place is a failure. It's totally different, and one of the reasons that Morelos' departure will be slightly strange. How do you remember a good player who played for the world's most successful team and didn't win any trophies? Has anyone ever been in the same boat? Is he the best but most undecorated player to play for us?

Shearer won the league at Blackburn though.

I think people lose a bit of perspective judging him because he's been one of the few shining lights in a dark period for the club. People claiming he's our most complete striker since Hateley and better than Ronald De Boer, etc is just ludicrous. I think people are so desperate for success that they exaggerate his abilities and make wild comparisons to players pre-2012 who actually achieved things with us without taking into account the quality of opposition compared to those days and the quality of Rangers teams.

It's unfair on him because whatever else has happened he's been tremendous value.
I think that loss of perspective swings both ways as shown by the panty wetters last night.

More straw man arguments. Only 1 misguided poster saying he should stay for 55. The majority, questioning the OTT criticism of him tend to agree he should go and his sale has and will allow us to strengthen the squad.

Oh, comparing Morelos contribution to Waghorn. I’m embarrassed for you. Go have a lie down! Hilariously bad view of football.

More straw man arguments. Only 1 misguided poster saying he should stay for 55. The majority, questioning the OTT criticism of him tend to agree he should go and his sale has and will allow us to strengthen the squad.

To be fair I've not read this entire thread or looking at the match thread but as little as four, five weeks ago there was a significant number of fans on here stating that winning the title was impossible without him upfront. Surely that opinion must still hold since a single, one-off game doesn't change anything.

Morelos will have an excellent legacy to the majority of the support, surprised some are even questioning that.

What does an "excellent legacy" mean, though?

Rangers heroes and legends are almost exclusively those who brought tangible success to the club.

What will Morelos be remembered for? Half a season worth of goals last year? It's going to be much harder to quantify.

I can't remember or know of any other Rangers player who is so well thought of but has nothing to show for it. It's an odd situation.

To be fair I've not read this entire thread or looking at the match thread but as little as four, five weeks ago there was a significant number of fans on here stating that winning the title was impossible without him upfront. Surely that opinion must still hold since a single, one-off game doesn't change anything.
Fair enough.

I didn’t read those threads and am basing my comments on the last 24 hours. (I spend more time in the lounge these days because the bear pit is a nut house).

If fans are genuinely saying we can’t win trophies without Morelos they’re obviously mad. Goes for any player.

You're correct....& it works both ways. People go OTT with criticism & call him a liability. Not really sure our top goal scorer who has carried us through matches & when we have been so inept when he has been unavailable or rested can be labelled a liability. I know people will say getting sent off & leaving his team in the lurch with 10 men is classed as a liability & agree to an extent, but i am mainly referring to people who just say "sell him, he's a liability." He's also a fantastic talent & our best player on his day.

He has a price, like everyone, & if he wants to go then let him leave if the price is acceptable to Rangers & not just because his head has been turned. People need to remember he is human & maybe with a new born child now & the hassle he gets in this country he feels its best to move on for personal life as well as his career.

Back