Gerrard on Summer recruitment We Need a Bit Of Magic.

"There needed to be a squad overhaul when I arrived. There will be change and better players to add more quality but I don't expect the same in terms of numbers, we need a bit of magic and a few key additions"

From Todays Press Conference, Think this will be the most important Purchase this summer. Think we need to spend 4-5 Million on this player. Any Suggestions?

I don't think amount spent is a guarantee of quality! Just look at the English leagues. Why would we spend £5 million on a player that will make a difference when we could get one from Eastern European / Scandinavian leagues for relative pennies! Some people have short memories when it comes to our past and spending outwith our means!

We don’t have time anymore. That luxury has been and gone.

Any player needs to hit the ground running. Especially if we’re paying £1.5m for them.
We have 2 seasons to stop them, plenty time.
Wait and see the mentally challengeds team next season nowhere near as good and we will be much better.
Just watch!!

I don't think amount spent is a guarantee of quality! Just look at the English leagues. Why would we spend £5 million on a player that will make a difference when we could get one from Eastern European / Scandinavian leagues for relative pennies! Some people have short memories when it comes to our past and spending outwith our means!

Its not a guarantee on quality. However it gives you a better chance and more options when you are trying to recruit.

I think all of the loan players go back and we replace them with quality.

My main concern is the midfield we have loads of players in that position but not one who can consistently grab the game by the scruff of the neck and none who chip in with a few goals.

Worrell will need replaced, would like to see someone with a bit of experience but not to far over the hill.

Kent will go back to Liverpool but I feel we need better and someone who contributes a little more. His sparkling performances are to far and few between.

Defoe I think has done well when called upon, problem is getting him in the team with Alfie, think the only way we do this is by playing 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) type of formation.

Good defender, Attacking midfeilder & a proper central midfielder would be my ideal three quality signings.

He needs to stop playing the same system against teams that have sussed us out Aberdeen Hibs and Kilmarnock.
It makes it easy for them.
I will not miss any of the loans Morelos will be a miss but we can negate that by getting a striker who can play with another player up front and share the goals.

Last edited:

Any player needs to hit the ground running. Especially if we’re paying £1.5m for them.
It wouldn’t surprise me if we signed Shinnie and he takes the left back slot if Barasic doesn’t produce the goods in early season,but better players have taken longer to settle with us.

He is right that we do not need a complete overhaul and it is a few players or quality needed. My concern is that he also needs to realise that it is not just the players and that the tactics we use a lot of the time are not working. We need to have multiple systems that we can actually use instead of reverting straight back to 4 3 3 as soon as something goes wrong , 4 3 3 does not work when teams sit in and pack the defence

Mind it took Pep at least a year to get his squad firing on all cylinders, it will come good I'm confident Gerrard will get it right!
Agreed. He's somewhat sorted our defence ( compares to last season). Aye they make mistakes and can be rocky at times but for the most part our defence is pretty solid.

Summer he should focus on midfields and attackers. I trust Gerrard is the right man to lead us to #55 if we stick by him. The quality of football we play at times shows our potential, it's just getting to that stage on a consistent basis.

Gerrard wants “magic” but we’ve signed Jordan Jones.

Hopefully the “magic” or “marquee” signings don’t come in the form of Jake Hastie or Shinnie.

I think we both know he's not referring to these type of players. Those type of bosman signings are easy no risk signings. They come in do well, brilliant. If they don't, we move them on for easy profit.

We are losing 3 first team regular in the summer; Worrall, Kent and Morelos (of he goes?).

We need more than 3/4 additions unless we intend on sticking with the likes of Candeias, Jack, Arfield, Barišić... every game.
Katic can replace Worral, but I'm not sure why Gerrard doesn't rate him. Kent I think we will get back too.

I tend to agree re external funding...will remain tough as long as we're funded by rich but NOT wealthy benefactors. Without asking fans to invest either it seems we face major issues with driving up income.
Hopefully we eventually get the retail deal sorted and whoever heads up the commercial dept gets that area together then that should lift up our income. I am sure I read that last year Aberdeen had a larger income from commercial deals than us.

Gerrard wants “magic” but we’ve signed Jordan Jones.

Hopefully the “magic” or “marquee” signings don’t come in the form of Jake Hastie or Shinnie.
I think signing Shinnie and Hastie on frees is fine mate,I’d also take a fourth choice CH as a free as well-but after that we need four or five first team players of a higher quality than what we currently have.

Jones is absolutely baffling to me though, I just don’t get that at all?

It's not all about players - Gerrard needs to up his game massively as well.
Making the same mistakes over and over is making me think about Warburton and bringing me out in a cold f.ucking sweat-despite me being sure SG is nowhere near that stubborn and stupid he needs to show it.

Mind it took Pep at least a year to get his squad firing on all cylinders, it will come good I'm confident Gerrard will get it right!

The £275m+ he spent on players after his first season probably helped.

We don’t have the comparative resources next to our immediate competition to go out and do that.

I don’t see any scenario realistically where we aren’t signing in the ball park of 10-12 new players. We need extra quality, but we also need to upgrade and replace loans, then potentially Morelos as well.

I think, maybe wishfully - that we are aligning our squad to account for this.

The likes of Jones, Kamara are good additions if they are on less than wages than those in their place just now and thus affording us the chance to lump wages into the first team.

Virtually nobody in that price bracket is going to come in and hit the ground running.

We will get the odd one like Morelos, however even he took a while to settle. Remember his 9 games or whatever it was without a goal last season? He then was a pale imitation of himself at the end of the season.

Look what we would have lost if we gave up on him as he hadnt settled.

We should have more money to shop in a better level of the transfer market.

4 or 5 quality additions should strengthen the first team massively. Some of the first team players and squad guys will be moved on and improved the squad overall.

It will be interesting to see how many will be permanent and how many are loan signings.

I don't think the team is that bad, Our lack of goals is making the rest of the team look worse. I think we are a Quality Centre Half, Attacking Midfielder and Right Winger away from being very capable of winning the league. That is as long as we dont lose any players and keep kent. Only Problem is we may need the morelos money to fund this, as quality to make a difference for us is in the 4-5 Million Bracket.

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Quality Centre Half
Barisic (think he will come good, Ricksen Struggled first year or so)

Jack
Kamara
Quality Attacking Midfielder.

Kent
Morelos
Quality Right Mid.
Cant see Tavernier being here next season
Borna deserves more time but bet Halliday stars tomorrow him being in and out doesnt help
Goldson needs a solid partner
McCrorie needs to play
Jack or Kamara not both
Morelos will probably be away
New CAM
New RW
Kent?

Thats just the starting line up, still need a lot more.

I don't think the team is that bad, Our lack of goals is making the rest of the team look worse. I think we are a Quality Centre Half, Attacking Midfielder and Right Winger away from being very capable of winning the league. That is as long as we dont lose any players and keep kent. Only Problem is we may need the morelos money to fund this, as quality to make a difference for us is in the 4-5 Million Bracket.

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Quality Centre Half

Jack
Kamara

Kent
Morelos
Quality Right Mid.
Kent won’t be here

No surprise here.

We can all see it.

The squad has been a massive upgrade in general standard, but we still lack that small group of players with the skill and guile to open up a shitey 9 or 10 man Scottish football packed defence.

That’s been the cause of too many draws and the odd defeat this season

What concerns me is , we are going to lose as it stands -

Kent
Coullibally
Worrall
Davis
Defoe(unless he agrees to the extension offered, why would he if he’s not playing)
Morelos

So when you look at the actual squad we are left with , there’s still a LOT of pruning and recruiting to be done .

A whole new frontline for starters .

It won’t be just a few tweaks .

Reactions: cav
i dont trust this mob to sign anyone of quality the signings so far have been awful with a few exceptions

"There needed to be a squad overhaul when I arrived. There will be change and better players to add more quality but I don't expect the same in terms of numbers, we need a bit of magic and a few key additions"

From Todays Press Conference, Think this will be the most important Purchase this summer. Think we need to spend 4-5 Million on this player. Any Suggestions?

Could try and sign the referees not sure how much Celtic will be looking for though? ;)

We needed a bit of magic in January and we got a water carrier and another wide man who doesn’t score or assist.

I’m not confident we’ll bring in what’s necessary.
We got Kamara, solid prior to Tuesday and a goal scorer who has netted 5 times in 4 starts + plus 4 games off the bench

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Quality Centre Half

Jack
Kamara

Kent
Morelos
Quality Right Mid.
Can’t see Morelos staying and we need better than Jack and Kent (in terms of end product).

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Quality Centre Half

Jack
Kamara

Kent
Morelos
Quality Right Mid.

I honestly think we need a first team replacement for Jack.

And as nice on the ball Kent is, his assit and goals numbers aren't good enough for a rangers first team

Does anyone know how the lad at Helsinki is getting on? He looked a really good young striker and aknkw it was only 1 game but was wondering if anyone's followed his progress since?

Rossiter & Docherty will come back better and replace Davis & Coulibally.
He will imho 3 loans and buy 4 quality with two being marquee whilst moving whoever on.
That my fellow bears will make a world of difference.
Also the mentally challengeds will lose 6 players in the summer at least most for fuk all.

Rossiter & Docherty will come back better and replace Davis & Coulibally.
He will imho 3 loans and buy 4 quality with two being marquee whilst moving whoever on.
That my fellow bears will make a world of difference.
Also the mentally challengeds will lose 6 players in the summer at least most for fuk all.

Davis is here next year the manager has already stated that in an interview. Rossiter and Docherty although doing well at smaller clubs may or may not come back depending on who stays and goes and maybe Gerrard will take into account the level both are playing at before considering them good enough to play a part at Rangers.
No point both coming back if they cannot get first-team football.

The one problem I have with Alfie is that we have a system built to accomodate him and when he is off form, the whole system has to be changed. I think that when he goes,, SG will change the system and we will be able to use other players to provide a threat.Two wingers slinging high crosses into a 5'6 centre worked with Jimmy Millar because he had the supporting cast. Alfie doesn't have that cast so everything has to have him as the star and manufacture chances by running about and turning half chances into clear goal scoring opportunities.

I will miss him for the sheer excitement he provides but he has to go for the greater good of the team I'm afraid.

Davis is here next year the manager has already stated that in an interview. Rossiter and Docherty although doing well at smaller clubs may or may not come back depending on who stays and goes and maybe Gerrard will take into account the level both are playing at before considering them good enough to play a part at Rangers.
No point both coming back if they cannot get first-team football.
I've got a gut feeling Davis & Dorrans will hang up their boots seasons end.

It will probably cost £10m to just replace Kent and Worrall - unless we are lining up some big Bosmans.

Another goal scoring wide man is essential, as is a replacement for Morelos.

In addition, we’ve been crying out for a young Kranjcar type since well, before Kranjcar. That’s why we brought in Pena but obviously that didn’t work out. Everyone can see we need someone who can pick a pass and chip in with goals from midfield, yet we keep signing inferior (to Celtic) industrious types. And now we’re signing more too.

Reactions: cav
What concerns me is , we are going to lose as it stands -

Kent
Coullibally
Worrall
Davis
Defoe(unless he agrees to the extension offered, why would he if he’s not playing)
Morelos

So when you look at the actual squad we are left with , there’s still a LOT of pruning and recruiting to be done .

A whole new frontline for starters .

It won’t be just a few tweaks .
You've also got to factor in other guys like Foderingham,Wallace,MacAuley,Flanagan,Grezda and possibly Dorrans even with the injury issues he's having all moving on or being loaned out.

That's a dozen players including the six you mentioned,albeit some haven't been getting much gametime this season you still need a squad regardless.

I'd be happy with Shinnie,Hastie and say a Suchy type CH on frees.I don't agree with signing Jones but it's done so he's on the list.Four free transfers then use the Morelos money for four or five first teamers to hopefully go straight into the starting eleven.Maybe players something like;

Striker - Koljic
Wide Right Attacker - Petterson
Playmaker - Ivanusec
Marquee signing - a striker?Another wide attacker? Or a controlling Centre midfielder? Not sure who and that's the problem within our budget.I'd bite my arm off for Harry Wilson on loan even but doubt that's going to happen after the season he's been having for Derby.

Yep. As well as Celtic having favourable refereeing, they have a number of match-winners.

This is the difference.
This is it! If we could maybe not have refs costing us 9 or so points next season and add a bit of magic to the team then I will be confident for next season!

Back