Gerrard on Summer recruitment We Need a Bit Of Magic.

stephen ferris

"There needed to be a squad overhaul when I arrived. There will be change and better players to add more quality but I don't expect the same in terms of numbers, we need a bit of magic and a few key additions"

From Todays Press Conference, Think this will be the most important Purchase this summer. Think we need to spend 4-5 Million on this player. Any Suggestions?

Very difficult as 'untapped sources' lead to Grezda and Barisic. There are few markets untapped. Maybe we could join a scouting network (you can 'pay in') and get profiles of players in your target area? Might save us employing hundreds of scouts?

We can discount Alfie as that was almost unique...£900k for someone like that.

No surprise here.

We can all see it.

The squad has been a massive upgrade in general standard, but we still lack that small group of players with the skill and guile to open up a shitey 9 or 10 man Scottish football packed defence.

That’s been the cause of too many draws and the odd defeat this season

Very difficult as 'untapped sources' lead to Grezda and Barisic. There are few markets untapped. Maybe we could join a scouting network (you can 'pay in') and get profiles of players in your target area? Might save us employing hundreds of scouts?

Untapped sources also led to Morelos. We need to profile and target the right type of player. Grezda and Barisic are totally lacking aggression which means they will fail in this league regardless of ability.

No surprise here.

We can all see it.

The squad has been a massive upgrade in general standard, but we still lack that small group of players with the skill and guile to open up a shitey 9 or 10 man Scottish football packed defence.

That’s been the cause of too many draws and the odd defeat this season

Spot on. We've got a good base to add real quality on to.

We need the majority of a new defence as Worrall will be away, and the rest are squad fillers, not title winners. We need a top CM, and a top AM. We need goalscoring wingers and we need at least 1 striker to replace Morelos, if not 2 (one main striker who will adore for fun).

We need more than just a ‘few key additions’.

We don't need one or two top quality players:

We need centre half if he doesn't fancy Katic; new left back (and cover); attacking mid, and possibly two wide attackers (not wingers) and a striker to replace a 30 goal a season man.

We need the majority of a new defence as Worrall will be away, and the rest are squad fillers, not title winners. We need a top CM, and a top AM. We need goalscoring wingers and we need at least 1 striker to replace Morelos, if not 2 (one main striker who will adore for fun).

I don't think the team is that bad, Our lack of goals is making the rest of the team look worse. I think we are a Quality Centre Half, Attacking Midfielder and Right Winger away from being very capable of winning the league. That is as long as we dont lose any players and keep kent. Only Problem is we may need the morelos money to fund this, as quality to make a difference for us is in the 4-5 Million Bracket.

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Quality Centre Half
Barisic (think he will come good, Ricksen Struggled first year or so)

Jack
Kamara
Quality Attacking Midfielder.

Kent
Morelos
Quality Right Mid.

Finland is not entirely untapped. Arsenal had our Kamara as a teenager.
Thats because the family moved to London not because he was scouted i'm sure. But with football transfers theres no 'secret sauce' you need to profile players and sign to suit. Alfredo fits that profile and i dont think Grezda or Barisic do, personality wise not ability.

I still think Barisic & Grezda will come good next season.

The problem with signing players with that bit of “magic” is they cost £5m plus and £20,000-25,000 a week in wages these days and that’s being conservative.

Even if we get a huge fee for Morelos signing two top quality players on a 3-4 year deal pretty much wipes out whatever we get in.

As much as I have my doubts about the manager truthfully we need more outsider investment and soon if we want to win the title back a wage bill of £45m+ is the minimum we need considering the scum have one of £60m per season.

Gerrard knows what's needed and the second season was always going to be the one to properly judge. Let's hope he gets it right.

Totally agree. Perhaps most of us got caught up with some wishful thinking rather than good old commonsense with our unrealistic idea of 55 this season - it has been a very up and down season with some games showing real promise among some woeful performances, especially losing three times to Aberdeen in Glasgow without scoring a goal, in fact without troubling them is totally unacceptable.

SG has now had his season to bed in, understand to what Scottish football is all about and the type of players required to wear our jersey. Next season has to a success and not just a Cup win but go toe to toe all the way with Celtic for the title, anything else is failure.

I tend to agree re external funding...will remain tough as long as we're funded by rich but NOT wealthy benefactors. Without asking fans to invest either it seems we face major issues with driving up income.

We needed a bit of magic in January and we got a water carrier and another wide man who doesn’t score or assist.

I’m not confident we’ll bring in what’s necessary.

The question is how much are we willing or capable of paying, my guess is depends on how much we get for Alfie, this team may owe the guy more than he will ever know

"There needed to be a squad overhaul when I arrived. There will be change and better players to add more quality but I don't expect the same in terms of numbers, we need a bit of magic and a few key additions"

From Todays Press Conference, Think this will be the most important Purchase this summer. Think we need to spend 4-5 Million on this player. Any Suggestions?

This player??

We need about 4 of them.

The big brazilian lad Klauss de Mello who replaced him at HJK looks pretty decent and wouldn't cost too much either I don't think.
He's big, fast and good finisher and good in the air.
He was on loan from Hoffenheim, but has now gone out to Linz, though he doesn't seem to be playing much there.

we still need to build a solid core then add some magic
what we have is well short of what we need, a team mostly of squad players

I don't think the team is that bad, Our lack of goals is making the rest of the team look worse. I think we are a Quality Centre Half, Attacking Midfielder and Right Winger away from being very capable of winning the league. That is as long as we dont lose any players and keep kent. Only Problem is we may need the morelos money to fund this, as quality to make a difference for us is in the 4-5 Million Bracket.

Mcgregor - agreed

Tav - sold in summer
Goldson - squad player but not a starter
Quality Centre Half - agreed
Barisic (think he will come good, Ricksen Struggled first year or so) - not for me, new LB needed

Jack - squad player
Kamara - agreed
Quality Attacking Midfielder. - agreed

Kent - agreed
Morelos - sold in summer
Quality Right Mid - agreed

That’s my views on that team mate.

Our 4 or 5 loan players were always needing to be replaced by another 4 or 5 loan players this summer. Depending upon how many of our permanent signings leave we'll need about 4 or 5 permanents to come in too.

I think it’s definitely in the attacking areas the investment is required.Thats the difficult part of getting the right team together.As mentioned we haven’t lost that many goals in general,but we don’t score anywhere near enough.

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barasic
Jack
Kamara

Doesn’t look too bad on paper as a base,but when Alfie goes we will need four attacking players of a collectively higher level to really compete.

It’s taken better players longer to settle at bigger clubs, a bit early to be giving up.

We don’t have time anymore. That luxury has been and gone.

Any player needs to hit the ground running. Especially if we’re paying £1.5m for them.

Mind it took Pep at least a year to get his squad firing on all cylinders, it will come good I'm confident Gerrard will get it right!

Back