Gerrard on summer transfers

What further worries me is that a large majority of our signings haven't been up to par or regressed even totally out of the picture as the season has progressed.

At the beginning of the season mainly every signing was performing now many have questions marks over them.

A big summer ahead for these players and Gerrard.

We need the guy that 30 yards out is going to drive at the opposition defence instead of passing it wide. I don't mind if it doesn't work every time but keep trying. Kamara did it yesterday once and was fouled in a dangerous area. I think it's something he could do more often.

'Driving at the opposition defence', in the context of yesterday's game, means running into a penalty area with 18-20 legs all trying to block you, 9-10 opposition bodies getting in your way and a referee just waiting for you to go down so he can book you for diving.

One player isn't going to solve it. I agree we need that 'creator' (I actually see him doing his 'damage' a wee bit further out) but we also need smarter players both out wide and inside the penalty box that can overcome this deep-lying defence we see from so, so many teams.

'short term' is the summer?
He can't bring anyone in until then so I agree that's the logical answer but why not just be explicit? Why not say 'next window', 'in the summer' etc.? He's not normally so vague.
Is there a youngster he is considering giving a try?

Heard a stat on syde yesterday the scum 2 wingers have scored 31goals this season so far between them ours 11 some difference

Rogic was pish for years. Remember how bad he was in the Scottish Cup semi?

Christie as well was with them for 2 years before getting in their team. Both he and Rogic spent reasonable time on loan before making any impact.

McGregor again was in their team for a couple of years before Rodgers turned him into a decent player.

We have spent zero on midfield since we came back up other than on Pena. We need to invest serious money in that area to get somebody to come in and hit the ground running.
Even if there pish there still better than what we have. What am meaning is we’re needing players like tht. We have none at the moment. They players win games we don’t have anyone expect Morelos

Even if there pish there still better than what we have. What am meaning is we’re needing players like tht. We have none at the moment. They players win games we don’t have anyone expect Morelos

We do need players like that.

But brining ones like them in means its going to be a couple of years till they contribute in a meaningful way.

We need the finished article hitting the ground running.

For me the start of this season was year zero in the rebuilding of our club we’ve got the right manager and coaches the right people in charge.Our whole club has changed for the better success will come and this summer will see us bring the type of player with a Rangers mentality that we desperately need

As much as it pains me to say it we need someone on the mould of that rhst Rogic. Someone who can pick a pass and create something out of nothing. We don't have that just now

'Driving at the opposition defence', in the context of yesterday's game, means running into a penalty area with 18-20 legs all trying to block you, 9-10 opposition bodies getting in your way and a referee just waiting for you to go down so he can book you for diving.

One player isn't going to solve it. I agree we need that 'creator' (I actually see him doing his 'damage' a wee bit further out) but we also need smarter players both out wide and inside the penalty box that can overcome this deep-lying defence we see from so, so many teams.
Agree with this,I believe a playmaker,wide player who can score and number ten are the areas requiring most attention- unfortunately they usually are the hardest to get in terms of quality within budget also though

We need genuine quality in the central midfield to forward areas.

Upgrades on guys who will be squad players next season like Jack and Arfield among others

IMO we need two AMF as options and Docherty back, a Right Winger who can go by a man and whip in decent crosses. A CB partner for Goldson after Worrall departs. And it has to be a known quantity not a work in progress. Two CF’s (one of Morelos leaves).

9 draws in the league.

We have dominated the ball in almost all of them. Its clear where we need improvements. 5 or 6 more goals in these 9 games isnt a lot to ask for is it? 10 or 12 points more puts us in a really healthy position.

Jack, Arfield, Kent, Candeias. All need upgraded and competition. They should be squad players. We need another physical striker who can be relied on unlike Lafferty.

What was encouraging yesterday was the amount Grezda got into the box. Im sure he will be a good player for us.

We are a lot closer than recent results suggest.

You want shot of Jack, Arfield, Kent and Candeias yet think Grezda will be a good player for us.

Madness ... absolute guff in fact.

If Gerrard went to Allen and said I've seen a really good player from say the Bundesliga but he'll cost 3m, Allen would turn round say I can get the same sort of player with potential from some epl youth team untried and untested.

No faith in the guy at all, and that's why there is the murmurings of SG speaking to the board about this. The board back the manager to the hilt.

Gerrard is a good poker player, he may be saying all is rosey to the press when it Won't be that.

nothing to suggest this. all the EPL youths under gerrard have been gerrard links from liverpool. apart from that guy nemane from city. we signed more EPL youths under warburton. unless you know this somehow?

Surely fans don’t think gerrard hasn’t moved us up a level

The guy makes mistakes no doubt

For me poor finishing an some bad refereeing
Has been the crux of our problems

Sure ,he picks an has signed most of our players to date

But I’ve come away from matches this season absolutely buzzin with our football

Also frustrated

But less frustrating that I’ve been in years because I can see us moving forward

If we get the right players in for the wide right and CAM positions I think we could see a much improved Rangers. Also agree with other posters that Docherty should be brought back, along with one or two other loanees who’ve done well.
We could do with some serious grit and toughness in our defence but can only see 1 CB coming in however. Hopefully that will be enough.

You want shot of Jack, Arfield, Kent and Candeias yet think Grezda will be a good player for us.

Madness ... absolute guff in fact.

Not madness at all. We need midfielders and wide players who are a goal threat.

On evidence thus far I think Grezda will be a bigger goal threat than Candeias as he gets into goal scoring positions more often.

Arfield will do better and people will think differently of him if he isn't the only midfielder we have capable of any sort of creativity or goal scoring. Him and Jack/Kamara playing with a quality #10 would be a good midfield imo
Im sorry my opinion is Arfield is not good enough

We need genuine quality in the central midfield to forward areas.

Upgrades on guys who will be squad players next season like Jack and Arfield among others
Correct I think minimum we need to replace 2 of the midfield 3,replace Candeias and Borna.
That’s 4 first team upgrades at least

Niko Kranjcar was the most creative and technically gifted player we'd had since we were sent down. In fact he was probably the best the league had in many many years. Sadly he was utterly knackered, we need a budget version that's a good few years younger. Someone that can smash one in from 25 yards or land a pass on a penny from 50 yards.

Heard a stat on syde yesterday the scum 2 wingers have scored 31goals this season so far between them ours 11 some difference

Talking of wingers and young players, i know a player who must be catching the eye of a lot of scouts, Andreas Skov Olsen. A 19 yr old at Nordsjaelland, plays on the Right wing scored 22 goals this season and his contract runs out in May 2020. He’s currently valued at £1.58M by Transfermarkt so easily affordable and he must be the type of player we should be going for.
The bheasts are signing young talent from the continent and making a fortune selling them on, we have to do the same not spunk huge wages on Defoe, Davis, Lafferty, Macauley etc as thats the road to ruin again.

Reactions: VMS
Talking of wingers and young players, i know a player who must be catching the eye of a lot of scouts, Andreas Skov Olsen. A 19 yr old at Nordsjaelland, plays on the Right wing scored 22 goals this season and his contract runs out in May 2020. He’s currently valued at £1.58M by Transfermarkt so easily affordable and he must be the type of player we should be going for.
The bheasts are signing young talent from the continent and making a fortune selling them on, we have to do the same not spunk huge wages on Defoe, Davis, Lafferty, Macauley etc as thats the road to ruin again.
He's been mentioned on here since last year, but welcome to the party :D

And transfermarkt is nothing to go by... Morelos is 2.7m on there ;)

Been mentioned many, many times on here. No idea what he’d cost but I wouldn’t lend any weight to the Transfermark value, notoriously poor. They have Morelos at £2.7m, just as an example.

Our squad isn’t filled with great quality but our players would all be starters for 90% of teams in the league, add 4/5 quality players in there then your hoping these squad players would raise there game

It’s happened to our teams in the past, quality littered with the best of the rest in the league it worked well then.

Number 10 is vital to turn these 1 points into 3, don’t tbink we’re too far away from being in a good place but a big summer needed

My concern is even with more quality players the system we are playing is not going to consistently get results in our league.

The lack of quality is only part of the problem
The system is fine it’s the personnel that’s the problem

Not madness at all. We need midfielders and wide players who are a goal threat.

On evidence thus far I think Grezda will be a bigger goal threat than Candeias as he gets into goal scoring positions more often.
You’s are both mad..all players above hopefully will be squad players next season and only used in certain games.

You’s are both mad..all players above hopefully will be squad players next season and only used in certain games.

I only said i think Grezda will be a good player for us.

Hes not been a regular starter for us though.

My point is we need to improve the starting line up with this seasons regulars becoming squad players.

It might be Grezda who replaces DC, might be a new signing. Who knows.

Arfield will do better and people will think differently of him if he isn't the only midfielder we have capable of any sort of creativity or goal scoring. Him and Jack/Kamara playing with a quality #10 would be a good midfield imo

Arfield can't score to save his life

We were supposed to be signing players with the right mentality and character to play for Rangers. Instead, we get Barisic, Ejaria and Sadiq.
The mentality thing is a real 50/50 though, it's almost impossible to KNOW if they have it. Players can be full of heart and confidence, and still manage to shrink under the Old Firm pressure. Borna coped with it incredibly well for Osjek when our crowd was on top of their team all night. Maybe he just needs the headband back on to block it out or something.

Sadiq was crazy though. Didn't Stevie say at the time that his problem was that he tried too hard and never stopped running? I'm really curious what happened there. I genuinely feel like we got the wrong player. Everything they said about him ended up being the opposite.

Arfield can't score to save his life
He has 7 goals and at least 6 assists in all competitions. That's not bad for a midfielder but it becomes a lot worse when all of our other midfielders have less goals combined than Arfield. If we had another midfielder who could score it would take some pressure off Arfield to have to do everything in midfield

I have serious doubts about the system, only the top teams play this way and have made a success of it. The class of player required to make 4-3-3 work in a regular basis is way out of our reach
Genuine question what system would you like us to play?

He has 7 goals and at least 6 assists in all competitions. That's not bad for a midfielder but it becomes a lot worse when all of our other midfielders have less goals combined than Arfield. If we had another midfielder who could score it would take some pressure off Arfield to have to do everything in midfield

Considering the role Arfield is supposed to be playing it is bad. I'm not blaming Arfield here, he is being played in a role he obviously isn't suited to.

The injury to Murphy at the start of the season was a bad blow, I'm not saying he would have solved all our problems but he would have helped to increase the contributions/goals/assists from the wing. He is more of the type of player we want for the system the gaffer is trying to play.

I have said it before on similar threads but a player like Lewis McLeod* is exactly what we are missing in midfield.

*disclaimer - i am not necessarily advocating the signing of Lewis McLeod nor am i saying he would have been the saviour. I am merely pointing out he is the type of player we need.

The system will work with the right players though (see Liverpool). The right players will have the quality to break down defenses

But that's why Gerrard made the signings he did in January, to try play 2 up front and that didn't work out so we reverted back. I think we should give it a try with Morelos in the number 10 role though

Gerrard made them signings. Didnt give it a proper chance and then reverted to the tired old system that other managers have already worked out.

4-2-3-1 for me with Morelos/ replacement and then three genuinely dynamic attacking midfielders/wingers behind and two sitting midfielders (Kamara/Jack/another).

I’m not for a second saying they are perfect but it’s worked for the Tims and a lot of other teams.

As others have said, we don’t have the quality to play 4-3-3 and whilst I acknowledge it’s a similar system, I think the two sitters works much better.

IMHO Gerrard has tried to mould his system on Liverpool and right away you can see the glaring differences in quality of player.

The mentality thing is a real 50/50 though, it's almost impossible to KNOW if they have it. Players can be full of heart and confidence, and still manage to shrink under the Old Firm pressure. Borna coped with it incredibly well for Osjek when our crowd was on top of their team all night. Maybe he just needs the headband back on to block it out or something.

Sadiq was crazy though. Didn't Stevie say at the time that his problem was that he tried too hard and never stopped running? I'm really curious what happened there. I genuinely feel like we got the wrong player. Everything they said about him ended up being the opposite.
I agree, it’s probably the most difficult thing to analyse and make a decision on. Having said that, have we signed anyone who thrives on this kind of pressure yet? Too early for Kamara and Grezda but so far it looks to be a 100% failure rate for the rest.

As for Sadiq, we’ll probably never know the truth of what happened there.

If Morelos goes, I expect it to be around £20 million. I then expect to see a majority of that money reinvested.

If we can get 4 £4 million/ £5 million players, I think that's the way we should be going.

I know of late it feels as if we need to start again but we really don't. We've a big improvement on last year, and a couple of higher calibre players could turn those draws that we dominated in to wins.

If Morelos goes, I expect it to be around £20 million. I then expect to see a majority of that money reinvested.

If we can get 4 £4 million/ £5 million players, I think that's the way we should be going.

I know of late it feels as if we need to start again but we really don't. We've a big improvement on last year, and a couple of higher calibre players could turn those draws that we dominated in to wins.
I agree with this. Look at the difference Morelos makes to those around him

Genuine question what system would you like us to play?

With the players we currently have I would play a few formations depending how the opposition set up.

I like the 4-2-3-1 because its more flexible than most formations whether we have the players to play that way I doubt it because we lack a number 10.

Back