Gerrard or Dalglish

No doubt Dalglish was a cracking player but he was surrounded by world class players at Liverpool and did very little on the international stage with Scotland.

Gerrard was in a relatively poor Liverpool side and almost single handedly dragged them to anything they achieved.

Would Dalglish have turned the CL final v AC the way Gerrard did? I doubt it.
* Milan.

The home grown boy who captained them to glory.... it’s the fairytale.

Folk may say Kenny now but in time once nostalgia for Gerrard sets in I believe he will be number one. More games, more goals, stayed loyal

Given everything that’s happened in their semi-recent history, Dalglish is probably more of a John Greig type figure. Gerrard may surpass that in years to come but at the same time, Souness didn’t have huge success at Liverpool.

Personally I’d like to see Gerrard making Rangers his “Manager” club

I think it's close,that close that each player offers their own identity for various reasons.

Who's our own very best Ranger,Greig or Waddell for example.?

No doubt Dalglish was a cracking player but he was surrounded by world class players at Liverpool and did very little on the international stage with Scotland.

Gerrard was in a relatively poor Liverpool side and almost single handedly dragged them to anything they achieved.

No, cause Souness wouldn’t have let them get that far behind

Dalglish is Liverpool's greatest legend closely followed by Gerrard. He's not got a stand at Anfield named after him and nicknamed king Kenny for nothing.

Given everything that’s happened in their semi-recent history, Dalglish is probably more of a John Greig type figure. Gerrard may surpass that in years to come but at the same time, Souness didn’t have huge success at Liverpool.

The answer is Dalglish but the statement regarding Souness is nonsense.
Captain of Liverpool during their most successful period ever..

Dalgliesh was the 1st football player I loved, even as a young wipper snapper .. his goal v Spain for Scotland.. his double for liverpool at Chelsea as player manager to win the league was something else.. ..

I’m too young to have seen Dalglish at his best but Gerrard was probably the best midfielder in the world for 2 or 3 years.

I still don’t think we appreciate just how much of a superstar we have managing us sometimes.

D
Was talking to a mentally challenged in work today who reckons Dalglish is more fondly remembered by reds fans than Gerrard. Hard one, especially what Dalglish did for the club after Hillsborough, more medals etc. My main argument was local boy, best of his generation, played in an inferior side which he basically carried, stayed when he could have gone to Chelsea for more money etc. Thoughts bears, want to destroy this poet on Monday!
It’s Dalglish, then Gerrard down there.

Both amazing players but interestingly, Gerrard has more goals for Liverpool which for a midfielder is quite outstanding, especially in a league that has been far more competitive during Gerrards time here than when Dalglish was in it.

Dalglish scored 172 goals in 515 appearances and Gerrard scored 186 in 710 appearances. So aye he did score more goals, 14 in total, but he did play 195 more games than Dalglish.

Dalglish scored 172 goals in 515 appearances and Gerrard scored 186 in 710 appearances. So aye he did score more goals, 14 in total, but he did play 195 more games than Dalglish.

That's still some strike rate from Steven Gerrard considering he wasn't a forward like Dalglish.

Talking to one of them about Rangers is just something I never do. One word answer then change the subject, or even better end of conversation. No matter how sound they are otherwise, when the conversation turns to Rangers they are all slabbering fucking mutants. No time for that in my life.

Talking to one of them about Rangers is just something I never do. One word answer then change the subject, or even better end of conversation. No matter how sound they are otherwise, when the conversation turns to Rangers they are all slabbering fucking mutants. No time for that in my life.
I’m yet to meet one that can have a normal football discussion

Reactions: TN8
Dalglish for me,for all he achieved both as a player and a Manager.
To have been involved with both Heysel and Hillsborough must have been the stuff of nightmares.
To come through them and to show the dignity he did is to his great credit.
Both wonderful players
From a personal perspective KF went through a lot wasn’t he also at the Ibrox disaster

Dalglish wins this.

Played in a more successful Liverpool team

Successfully managed the team

Was the figurehead of the club after the disaster

Was the subject of one of the best Rangers songs ever “Will he stay or will he go”

Dalglish.That Liverpool team of that era was frightening. Souness was my favourite tho.Was genuinely 1 of the top midfielders in the world and the fact that he was a hard dirty bassa helped.Even tho Dalglish played for the unwashed I have nothing but respect for him.Genuinely world class and a good decent man.

That's still some strike rate from Steven Gerrard considering he wasn't a forward like Dalglish.
True, but Dalglish wasn’t an out and out striker. I’d be interested in his number of assists, especially setting up Ian Rush. Dalglish had more success as a club player than Gerrard. They were both world class but Dalglish was the best player in the best ever Liverpool team.

Was talking to a mentally challenged in work today who reckons Dalglish is more fondly remembered by reds fans than Gerrard. Hard one, especially what Dalglish did for the club after Hillsborough, more medals etc. My main argument was local boy, best of his generation, played in an inferior side which he basically carried, stayed when he could have gone to Chelsea for more money etc. Thoughts bears, want to destroy this poet on Monday!
Dalglish first by a mile. Gerrard second by a mile. Third? Tommy Smith but way way back. And if you do yo
Dalglish first by a mile and Gerrard second by a mile. Third is a long way back. Not convinced that Gerrard turned down Chelsea at all. This was when his dad got the fixer in to deal with pancake Taylor. So called as he was known to flip. So Chelsea never found out what they were missing

I think the other world class Liverpool players were Souness and maybe Rush.

And Rush only gets in the discussion of world class because the partnership with Dalglish made him so much better than he would have been otherwise.

The rest of the players were excellent but pretty much replaceable parts. Liverpool were a great team rather than a great collection of players.

Dalglish for me,for all he achieved both as a player and a Manager.
To have been involved with both Heysel and Hillsborough must have been the stuff of nightmares.
To come through them and to show the dignity he did is to his great credit.
Both wonderful players

No more than you would expect with his family background. We know how to behave with class and dignity, unlike the unwashed across the city

As much as I love Gerrard, it is Dalglish, and it is not even close. The achievements of Dalglish as both a player and a manager greatly surpasses Gerrard's achievements.

Dalglish was a box to box midfielder with Celtc, carrying them for his last 2 seasons. He goes to Liverpool, surrounded by runners with pace and technique, plays as striker and has 4 or 5 players players to pass to. He lacked pace but this was rendered irrelevant due to his ability.

Dalglish was a box to box midfielder with Celtc, carrying them for his last 2 seasons. He goes to Liverpool, surrounded by runners with pace and technique, plays as striker and has 4 or 5 players players to pass to. He lacked pace but this was rendered irrelevant due to his ability.
They had bloody marvellous teams for that 10 year period

I think the other world class Liverpool players were Souness and maybe Rush.

And Rush only gets in the discussion of world class because the partnership with Dalglish made him so much better than he would have been otherwise.

The rest of the players were excellent but pretty much replaceable parts. Liverpool were a great team rather than a great collection of players.

Alan Hansen was world class and the rest as you say were excellent.

There was no Djimi Traore is Dalglish's team

Alan Hansen was world class and the rest as you say were excellent.

There was no Djimi Traore is Dalglish's team

I liked Hansen but he was the third best cb Scotland had for most of his career.

My definition of world class would be if I was picking 2 teams to play against each other from all the players in the world at a given time, would player x be stripped or at least in contention. I only ever think there are 22 to 30 world class players at a given time.

Hansen wouldn’t make that cut for me.

As a player Dalglish won the league six times, the FA cup once, the League Cup four times, the European Cup three times.

Add to that he managed them to a double, included in the above, another two league wins and another win of both the FA Cup and League Cup.

I find it difficult for there to be a competition, other than amongst the very young who perhaps are more aware of Gerrard.

There was a programme last year that counted them down. Dalglish was number 1 and Gerrard number 2. I think Souness was about 6 or something
Souness should be number 1 or 2. However he done an interview with the sun and the liverpool fans have never been able to forgive him.

True, but Dalglish wasn’t an out and out striker. I’d be interested in his number of assists, especially setting up Ian Rush. Dalglish had more success as a club player than Gerrard. They were both world class but Dalglish was the best player in the best ever Liverpool team.

I agree,and Dalglish gets my vote.
Maybe not an out and out striker but he was predominately played in a forward role.
Gerrard's strike rate is hugely impressive from the midfield.

Why must one be better than the other?
I always find this sort of debate to be playground stuff.
Both were great contributors to a great club and both will be remembered and revered passionately by a great football support.

When I recall the great players who gave so much for Rangers, I can do so by admiring them all as individuals whose marks upon the face of the club have contributed to its unique character and without whom would have meant a less fetching countenance.

Had Gerrard been at Liverpool a generation earlier he would have made that magnificent Liverpool side that much better, and I doubt that there are many other Liverpool legends from other periods in the club's history who could rightly claim that.

Why must one be better than the other?
I always find this sort of debate to be playground stuff.
Both were great contributors to a great club and both will be remembered and revered passionately by a great football support.

When I recall the great players who gave so much for Rangers, I can do so by admiring them all as individuals whose marks upon the face of the club have contributed to its unique character and without whom would have meant a less fetching countenance.

Had Gerrard been at Liverpool a generation earlier he would have made that magnificent Liverpool side that much better, and I doubt that there are many other Liverpool legends from other periods in the club's history who could rightly claim that.
Just a bit of fun on a football forum, nothing more!

Back