Gerrard post match

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Not best pleased with some, I get his frustration 3 or 4 players really did not perform well at all.

Jones- cut some slack as he has been out for 4 months
Barker
Halliday

All very poor for me but we are through and our levels will rise dramatically when we start back in the league on Wednesday

Last edited:
"The priority was to get into the next round, so I’m pleased about that. I’m pleased about the clean sheet and fifth win on the spin. Outside of that, I feel pretty flat. For large periods...

of the game, I was quite bored watching it. Our fans came tonight really excited and hoping the players could put a show on and entertain them over the course of 90 minutes. Unfortunately we never delivered that.”

I think Jones and Barker in particular did not do themselves any favours tonight. Ojo was asked to play as a striker which is clearly not his position. Jones - at least - can say that he has been injured for a while.
Halliday was a 6/10 for me. Much better than Barker or Jones but it is clear that he will not be anywhere near our first eleven.

Jones was a disappointment tonight.I know he's been out for a while but he should be ripping Stranraer full backs apart.
Barker was meh as expected.
Barker shouldnt really be playing in a rangers jersey for me, he’s not good enough. The boy may have flashes of talent but at this point of the season and at crucial times we need more than flashes. He’s too inconsistent, can’t beat a player, delivery is generally poor and game management is not great either, decisions etc. Just not good enough.
where do I start with jones? I have a right bee in my bonnet about him. I don’t rate him at all and that’s just a personal opinion, although he does have more than a flash of talent. It’s an attitude problem for me. When you take out an opponent 10 mins after you’ve came on the pitch 2-0 down at home against your biggest rivals and get sent off, that’s a big wanting sign for me about bad attitude. And he gets injured in the process. Folk practically raved about him last week, he’ll come onto a game etc but tonight almost proves my point. He’s got an opportunity to give himself a great chance of being a bigger part of the squad, put a good shift in and make the gaffer sit up and give him a decision to make. He ballsed it up for me. Halliday as well, but he’s always gonna be a bit part player. Just not a very good one.

Has barker had a good game for us?

IMHO he should be punted with the very least a loan deal to another top tier club, he is atrocious and has shown absolutely nothing especially in the cup final where he looked like he had won a competition to play

We have more than enough in the wide left position

Certain players in our squad need to have a long hard look on the mirror and ask themselves have they got what it takes to play for a magnificent club such as ours as once it’s gone it’s gone ... step up and play that’s all we all ask

We’ve got the manager calling out certain players, yet we have folk on here and on social media saying it’s unfair to criticise the fringe players.

If I’m going to side with anyone’s opinion on football, Gerrard’s seems a good place to start.

If he wasn't interested in bringing any new players in this month then tonight will definitely have changed his mind as those fringe players clearly can't be trusted. I hope that's barkers and halidays last games in a rangers shirt. Jones was poor and if theres genuine interest from stoke I would not be surprised to see him go I know hes back fro injury but hes got to be doing better than that to impress Gerrard ojo was awful again though he did have a perfectly good goal chopped off.

We need the 4 of them now to be playing out their skin.
I haven’t given up hope on Barker yet.
Jones and Ojo looked disinterested tonight and Halliday knows it’s coming to an end.

Tonight really shows how much we are lacking outside of our top 11. Really feel we are missing one or two quality players who can challenge the 1st 11 and provide good cover and a spark off the bench.

We have a long 2nd half of the season ahead and think we need 1 or 2 more in to make sure we can compete on every front.

We have let Hastie and Murphy go, and both are better than Jones and Barker
Hastie and Murphy are about the same level IMO. That's my only concern is that wide attacking players we are lacking in quality. Our main 2, Kent and now Aribo are class, but if one or both get injured it's a concern

We have got to get a proper back up for Barisic in my opinion. I've got a lot of time for both Halliday and Flanagan but I feel they are two or three levels below Barisic in that position (I rate Flanagan as a solid right-back, but he's too one-footed to offer enough on the left).

Haliday done his job tonight one past that went astray ffs get of his back the guy never lets us down. Jones poor but not had lot of gam time can cut him we bit of slack . Barker enough said not done it for me and Ojo to inconsistent.
I could stand and play simply 5 yard passes all night too and you could say I “done my job”.

Really poor player. He’d be lucky to get another Scottish Prem team when we let him go.

Tonight really shows how much we are lacking outside of our top 11. Really feel we are missing one or two quality players who can challenge the 1st 11 and provide good cover and a spark off the bench.

We have a long 2nd half of the season ahead and think we need 1 or 2 more in to make sure we can compete on every front.
I agree 100% with this.
I think we’ll bring 3 more players in. A defender on loan, a striker and I think we’ll spend a few million on a midfielder,

For me Gerrards interview was a cute little message to the board.

Maybe premature, but Jones seems to be recreating Kyle Lafferty’s second spell with us, ie great European contribution followed by serious attitude problems and anonymity. I didn’t expect him to hit top form tonight after so long out but I did expect him to be bursting his balls to impress the gaffer. It was a lazy, passing the buck performance that really disappointed me. Barker, halliday and Ojo were mediocre - no surprise there - but Jones should be capable of contributing If he can only be arsed.

Back