Gerrard post match

I don't think he likes Jones. Might not be here in a couple weeks imo.

A very complacent performance all-round tonight.
I'd get rid of Jones ,Barker and Ojo in a flash .They are contributing nothing and no better than the likes of Hastie. Murphy Mebude McPake and Kennedy.I Think the manager has had his fill of them and not before time

I’ll defend and back Halliday everyday of the week. But the slapping of the ground when he gets fouled is something he needs to stop

The gaffer has a pop at Borna for similar
Usually I would agree but it was a late one tonight.

I don't think he likes Jones. Might not be here in a couple weeks imo.

A very complacent performance all-round tonight.

I thought it strange he was being linked with a lot of clubs recently. Have a feeling he won’t be here in the near future either.

Defo aimed at Jones and possibly halliday. Jones especially poor for me
No it's not, it's aimed at Halliday, Barker and Ojo if those three are still picking up a wage at Ibrox after this month it'll be criminal the latter 2 are abysmal football players and Halliday is a jobber on his best day.

I left a bit flat tonight and having heard Gerrard I think he will be talking about Jones, Barker and Halliday.

In defence of all of them, Stranraer sat with 9 between 20 to 30 yards from their goal for 90% of the match. Jones and Barker had no where to run. Halliday meanwhile never at any point really had the room Patterson was afforded on the right.

Still disappointed in the match but it was flat all round.

No it's not, it's aimed at Halliday, Barker and Ojo if those three are still picking up a wage at Ibrox after this month it'll be criminal the latter 2 are abysmal football players and Halliday is a jobber on his best day.
Of course it’s aimed at jones. He simply did t do his job, and he got subbed. Didn’t Impress at all.
The rest I agree fully. I’ll back halliday as he can be a utility player who’ll happily play for the jersey, but he’s not a great footballer. Ojo you would think he’d have a bit more desire in matches to try and impress but didn’t. Barker is garbage, plain and simple. Shouldn’t be a rangers player IMO

Kent, Barasic and Stewart would have given us the guile and quality to have exploited Defoe’s brilliant movement tonight and would have put that game out of sight long before we did. Barker, Halliday and Ojo generally weaken us. In a game where we know to expect 10 men sitting behind the ball, Jones and Arfield also lack the quality to open up defences. Barker and Jones are only effective with pace on the counter where there may be space behind the defensive line to exploit. Not in this game and likely not often in games to come especially at home.

Not best pleased with some, I get his frustration 3 or 4 players really did not perform well at all.

Jones- cut some slack as he has been out for 4 months
Barker
Halliday

All very poor for me but we are through and our levels will rise dramatically when we start back in the league on Wednesday

Love the fact that he has the Souness mentality...." Don't care if I signed you, if you can't step up every game....you're out"
That's the difference between a winner and a loser.i
Sadly....it'sbeen missing since Sir Walters days.

Of course it’s aimed at jones. He simply did t do his job, and he got subbed. Didn’t Impress at all.
The rest I agree fully. I’ll back halliday as he can be a utility player who’ll happily play for the jersey, but he’s not a great footballer. Ojo you would think he’d have a bit more desire in matches to try and impress but didn’t. Barker is garbage, plain and simple. Shouldn’t be a rangers player IMO
Jones has been out for months and up against a ten man defence with no space to play in behind, will definitely be afforded the benefit of the doubt due to lack of fitness.

If he wasn't interested in bringing any new players in this month then tonight will definitely have changed his mind as those fringe players clearly can't be trusted. I hope that's barkers and halidays last games in a rangers shirt. Jones was poor and if theres genuine interest from stoke I would not be surprised to see him go I know hes back fro injury but hes got to be doing better than that to impress Gerrard ojo was awful again though he did have a perfectly good goal chopped off.

Did TV prove that goal onside FN ?

Tonight really shows how much we are lacking outside of our top 11. Really feel we are missing one or two quality players who can challenge the 1st 11 and provide good cover and a spark off the bench.

We have a long 2nd half of the season ahead and think we need 1 or 2 more in to make sure we can compete on every front.

Id say a striker, a full back cover, and another midfielder cover. About 6 going out so to me this is needed.

That team on paper should have wiped the floor with Stranraer but failed massively.
Going by the gaffer’s reaction I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s knocking the board’s door down for reinforcements.
Plenty of players will be moved on after so many going through the motions tonight.

Jones is just back from a long injury Paulski. He’s he was poor, but to be fair I’d give him time to get match fit before being too harsh. But times running out for him otherwise.

Barker & Halliday ? I won’t swear.
:)) :))
I’ll give jones a chance if he pulls his finger out next appearance, if not my patience is done with him. :)):oops:

I thought Arfield was our second worst performer behind Jones. Barker crap when he came on, Halliday average along with Davis and Defoe. Ojo did much more in his short spell than Jones and Barker.

I really like the fact that he is so brutal in his assessment of our performances and our players. It's all about standards when it comes to Steven Gerrard. He means business and isn't going to tolerate any fear or weakness from our players. He knows what Rangers is all about.

We have a big problem in that we have several wide players, none of whom are good enough - Kent aside (and aribo who isn't a natural there although been great of late)

It's a serious area in need of strengthening and I hope the management are looking at it. He wasn't perfect but I genuinely think candeias would have been a terrific player to have this season and certainly would be a better option than ojo or bloody barker

Im not saying he’s won me over mate, just that I’d rather judge him when fit. And he must be a lot better than tonight.
Much much better. He does seem to be a bit of a whipping boy. Mainly because folk are expecting better of him given he has shown he can deliver good performances. Granted he’s been out injured, it was his own fault he got injured and that winds me up as ive said in previous posts, that’s just an attitude problem. He does have the ability he just needs to show it

Like others have said we should have blown that team away tonight,was very poor to watch,boring as fck tbh

Much much better. He does seem to be a bit of a whipping boy. Mainly because folk are expecting better of him given he has shown he can deliver good performances. Granted he’s been out injured, it was his own fault he got injured and that winds me up as ive said in previous posts, that’s just an attitude problem. He does have the ability he just needs to show it

Think you’re a bit harsh on him mate. I’m disappointed at him tonight, but he’s been out effectively 3 months.

Don't know what's up with Barker, he seems to keep wanting to dribble or beat men until he loses the ball instead of parting with it before then.
Jones is struggling a bit and he IMHO only has a few more chances to put that right, his injury hasn't helped but he made a fool of himself and got sent off which sticks in SG's mind as well.
He should be in doing extra training and getting extra coaching more than anyone else if he is serious about staying with us.

Part timers mate who done a shift before the game most likely there are no excuses for the performance it was poor. Even the manager said it mate

Oh phuck off. We were shit because we knew we would win. And Halliday and Jones are never Rangers players. Neither are Ojo and Barker. And Defies nearer 40 than 30. And Patersons a child. As is Kennedy.

Getting the picture as to why it was a tad disjointed.

Oh phuck off. We were shit because we knew we would win. And Halliday and Jones are never Rangers players. Neither are Ojo and Barker. And Defies nearer 40 than 30. And Patersons a child. As is Kennedy.

Getting the picture as to why it was a tad disjointed.

The manager has said the same I suggest you put the bottle down and head to bed lol

Disappointed with Barker tonight for some reason he can’t find the form he had when he was with hivs if he can find it then I think we could have a cracking player who could contribute to the team.

We have a big problem in that we have several wide players, none of whom are good enough - Kent aside (and aribo who isn't a natural there although been great of late)

It's a serious area in need of strengthening and I hope the management are looking at it. He wasn't perfect but I genuinely think candeias would have been a terrific player to have this season and certainly would be a better option than ojo or bloody barker

Candeias should never have been allowed to go. We had him under contract and I'm sure whatever fee was paid to release him was under a million. Absolutely pointless letting him go when he tracks the wing so hard and had a fair bit of pace on him. Letting him go and bringing in Barker was horrific decision-making.

Jones has been out for months and up against a ten man defence with no space to play in behind, will definitely be afforded the benefit of the doubt due to lack of fitness.
Outwith the poets, every other team we face domestically play the same way.

Presuming we reached the final of every domestic competition (with no replays) and met them in the final of each, we'd play a total of 47 games, 7 v them.

Personally I wouldn't waste the money on a player who is only effective in 15% of games.

Candeias should never have been allowed to go. We had him under contract and I'm sure whatever fee was paid to release him was under a million. Absolutely pointless letting him go when he tracks the wing so hard and had a fair bit of pace on him. Letting him go and bringing in Barker was horrific decision-making.
He didn't want to be here. You're being. A bit selective with the 'letting him go and bringing in Barker' - the implication being that Barker was signed to replace Candeias.

Barker has played 426 mins of football for us - just over 4 and a half games. Could you honestly see Candeias being motivated to stay for that amount of gametime? He clearly didn't want to be used in a rotation system either.

“I was important in the team but I felt like I wasn’t going to have as many minutes as I’d had in the last two seasons.
“I felt I could change something and preferred to try another challenge where I felt even more important"

I think the problem Jones is going to have to address is that when Rangers play most teams it's usually a case of playing against packed ten-man defenses that need to be attacked down the flanks - by pace and by hugging the line. Jones natural impulses seem to make him want to cut inside right into areas where the opposition are massed, thereby making it difficult for him to generate anything positive.

Gerrard's post-match comments clearly were directed at Jones, serving notice that if he wants to stick around Ibrox, he'll need to make adjustments to his game.

Has barker had a good game for us?

I think it’s a safe bet to say he is completely finished as a Rangers player after that tonight. Gerrard doesn’t suffer fools gladly once he seen for himself how bad a player can be .

Tonight was as weak an opposition as we will ever play in a competitive game , no disrespect to Stranraer , and we had guys outpaced and outfought in some areas of the pitch . Gerrard simply won’t accept that and righty so . Horrendous from Barker tonight , Jones at least has shown in flashes he is capable against Legia warsaw , Meattyland, and so will deserve another shot . Baker is done , a very strange one .

Back