Gerrard post match

We lack quality in the final third when Morelos and Kent are out. Defoe isn't the best option against packed sides.

Horrible game against cloggers after a two week break. We rarely play well after a break so get it out the system now.

The fringe players are that for a reason - Halliday and Barker shouldn't be here next season. This is where youth could fill in.

Like Gerrard, I too was bored, but job done.

Candeias should never have been allowed to go. We had him under contract and I'm sure whatever fee was paid to release him was under a million. Absolutely pointless letting him go when he tracks the wing so hard and had a fair bit of pace on him. Letting him go and bringing in Barker was horrific decision-making.
It was a beautiful 18 says in 2020
Until the old we miss Candeias line is trotted out

We do not miss Candeias

Criticism of Jones is unfair given he's been out for months.

Barker does look like a dud however.
Given the fact he has watched how the team has performed over the past 3 months he should have been bursting his gut to prove he has what it takes to challenge for a 11st team place.
Tonight all he did was take a step closer to the door and reduce his fee
Let's not make up excuses for the boy, it was a terrible performance against a team that he should have town apart.

If SG is talking about players like Jones and Halliday then I feel he is being a bit harsh.
Players always take a few games to get up to speed (An example being Defoe and Davis this time last year) yet we have players playing tonight who haven't played for months or have had barely any game time.
Are we really expecting them to be playing as well as players who are playing week in week out?

Given the fact he has watched how the team has performed over the past 3 months he should have been bursting his gut to prove he has what it takes to challenge for a 11st team place.
Tonight all he did was take a step closer to the door and reduce his fee
Let's not make up excuses for the boy, it was a terrible performance against a team that he should have town apart.
How do you know he's even at full match fitness?

Ba
Disappointed with Barker tonight for some reason he can’t find the form he had when he was with hivs if he can find it then I think we could have a cracking player who could contribute to the team.
Barker isnt even a hibs player now- he should be no where near our team.
6 months into a 3 year deal.
Shocking to say the least.

It was not the game for Jones, was only on for game time. They sat in the full game and damage limitation. Hard for him to have his moments in behind, although he maybe could have provided more from wide areas. Even the worst SPL team won’t sit in that much at Ibrox, which would give him some space to get in behind and provide in better games. Given he’s only back I don’t think we should be too hard, but there’s other players there who have not done it and been far fitter.

Jones can very possibly get some leeway but he was anonymous tonight. Barker is just dire. I fail to see why we would keep him and send Middleton out on loan. I’m not a huge fan of the latter but he is a much better option than Barker. I think Ojo will stay to the end of the season due to his relative versatility.

One thing for sure. If our manager expressed disappointment at some of his players in a general way at an after match interv, it is a certainty that he will have expressed his disappointment to the offending players on a personal and specific way. He will know what to do.

He will not accept performances from players which do not come up to his own high standards. The message to the fringe players was that they must do better.

"The priority was to get into the next round, so I’m pleased about that. I’m pleased about the clean sheet and fifth win on the spin. Outside of that, I feel pretty flat. For large periods...

of the game, I was quite bored watching it. Our fans came tonight really excited and hoping the players could put a show on and entertain them over the course of 90 minutes. Unfortunately we never delivered that.”
You can now understand why he sticks by the mainstays,maybe one or two are capable of stepping up Greg Stewart,maybe Jones,but we don't have a strong second 11.

Gerrard looked bored!

We currently have Tav, Helander, and Morelos missing. I hope we don't get another couple, especially up top, as the backup just don't look at the standard we thought they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Let's hope we get someone in who can play along the front line.

I think the problem Jones is going to have to address is that when Rangers play most teams it's usually a case of playing against packed ten-man defenses that need to be attacked down the flanks - by pace and by hugging the line. Jones natural impulses seem to make him want to cut inside right into areas where the opposition are massed, thereby making it difficult for him to generate anything positive.

Gerrard's post-match comments clearly were directed at Jones, serving notice that if he wants to stick around Ibrox, he'll need to make adjustments to his game.
The system we play means the two wider front players play inside supporting the striker and the full backs take up the width on the outside.Beale explained this last week .In our system the two front wider players need to have tight control and dribbling skills when we are up against packed defences.Jones,Barker,Ojo and Hastie are not this type of player and will never be any use against packed defences.Players like Aribo,Stewart,Murphy,Kennedy, Kent ,McPake are required for these type of games ,particularly at Ibrox

Very interesting comment in the Wes post match interview, saying in some training sessions Kennedy has been the best player! He must have some ability if that is the case

Im not saying he’s won me over mate, just that I’d rather judge him when fit. And he must be a lot better than tonight.
My problem with jones last night was not that he didn't create much but he was hardly on the ball at times I forgot he was playing compare that to aribo who plays a similar position who was always involved through out the game. I get that hes been out for 3 months but we've also go to remember he's been playing reserve games for the last 3/4 weeks to sharpen up also if he had been playing against Motherwell or hibs tonight you could cut him some slack but we were playing against a team who some of there players were working this afternoon at home on a massive pitch with about 90% of the ball

Gerrard can be pretty ruthless so it doesn't look good for the players who haven't impressed some didn't impress in the game in Dubai either so I can see more than we expected to leave.

Last edited:
I think the problem Jones is going to have to address is that when Rangers play most teams it's usually a case of playing against packed ten-man defenses that need to be attacked down the flanks - by pace and by hugging the line. Jones natural impulses seem to make him want to cut inside right into areas where the opposition are massed, thereby making it difficult for him to generate anything positive.

Gerrard's post-match comments clearly were directed at Jones, serving notice that if he wants to stick around Ibrox, he'll need to make adjustments to his game.
I think you’re right re jones

stevie made a comment about application regarding jones so I think it will be the perceived lower level of effort that will piss the gaffer off more than having a lower level of quality in the short term with jones

we all know he’s just back so it’ll bounce off shins and crosses go to the stand but not applying 100% won’t be forgiven or accepted by our boss.

so the message to jones is simply put the effort in or you’re off

Thank god we have Gerrard in charge who will not stand for pish performances and call players out on it.

My problem with jones last night was not that he didn't create much but he was hardly on the ball at times I forgot he was playing compare that to aribo who plays a similar position who was always involved through out the game. Gerrard can be pretty ruthless so it doesn't look good for the players who haven't impressed some didn't impress in the game in Dubai either so I can see more than we expected to leave.

Agree FN.

Gerrard seems to be getting frustrated with him, and to be honest we were very poor down the LHS all night.

I’m just trying to be understanding of his rustiness after 3 months out, nothing more.

Jones was a disappointment tonight.I know he's been out for a while but he should be ripping Stranraer full backs apart.
Barker was meh as expected.
What kind of wage is Barker on mate do u know? I think hes worse than halliday I'd only seen him against us before we got him and a mind him having a good game but I dont see what he offers apart from pace doesnae look like he could get a game for any decent team to me

Halliday was distinctively average. But there should be no surprise at this. He has never been a great player in all honesty. He is very lucky to have worn the Rangers jersey.

The system we play means the two wider front players play inside supporting the striker and the full backs take up the width on the outside.Beale explained this last week .In our system the two front wider players need to have tight control and dribbling skills when we are up against packed defences.Jones,Barker,Ojo and Hastie are not this type of player and will never be any use against packed defences.Players like Aribo,Stewart,Murphy,Kennedy, Kent ,McPake are required for these type of games ,particularly at Ibrox
At last, so many on here don't understand or won't accept how we play.
In Jones' case he was asked to go inside and Halliday should break down the wing into the space. Instead, AH did his own thing and that's what the manager was pissed at, he even juxtaposed Patterson's performance in case there was any doubt.
Have to say I also thought Scott Arfield could have upped his levels last night, played it like a training game of possession.

Halliday was distinctively average. But there should be no surprise at this. He has never been a great player in all honesty. He is very lucky to have worn the Rangers jersey.
Because we have seen Barisic flying the past few months it makes it even more evident just how big the gulf in quality is

What kind of wage is Barker on mate do u know? I think hes worse than halliday I'd only seen him against us before we got him and a mind him having a good game but I dont see what he offers apart from pace doesnae look like he could get a game for any decent team to me
No idea but I wouldn't think he is a high earner.I think he looks like a St Johnstone level player at best.A very strange signing

I dont know if already posted,apparently Gerrard loves having Halliday about the place,I think it was Tam miller on R.T.V. that said it.

To everyone saying Arfield was shocking, he won the corner for the goal from nothing and scored from that corner.

You’ll probably find he was tasked with looking after Patterson. Arfield was the reason that young Patterson was able to get on the ball so often and he was covering in behind him to allow him to push on. There was a few occasions where the ball broke against us and Patterson was caught upfield, Arfield was the one that was getting in and breaking that run of play down to win the ball back.

His passing was a bit hit or miss though, but you could aim that same criticism at Jack, Aribo and Katic.

No idea but I wouldn't think he is a high earner.I think he looks like a St Johnstone level player at best.A very strange signing
I thought when we got him the manager must've seen something in him! as I said I only seen him against us so never knew much about him. I think hes about 4 yrs too late to even think about getting a start for us :)

Barker shouldnt really be playing in a rangers jersey for me, he’s not good enough. The boy may have flashes of talent but at this point of the season and at crucial times we need more than flashes. He’s too inconsistent, can’t beat a player, delivery is generally poor and game management is not great either, decisions etc. Just not good enough.
where do I start with jones? I have a right bee in my bonnet about him. I don’t rate him at all and that’s just a personal opinion, although he does have more than a flash of talent. It’s an attitude problem for me. When you take out an opponent 10 mins after you’ve came on the pitch 2-0 down at home against your biggest rivals and get sent off, that’s a big wanting sign for me about bad attitude. And he gets injured in the process. Folk practically raved about him last week, he’ll come onto a game etc but tonight almost proves my point. He’s got an opportunity to give himself a great chance of being a bigger part of the squad, put a good shift in and make the gaffer sit up and give him a decision to make. He ballsed it up for me. Halliday as well, but he’s always gonna be a bit part player. Just not a very good one.
The gaffer did the same once against Man Utd. I'm assuming you saw this poor attitude against midjyland and Warsaw?

Agree FN.

Gerrard seems to be getting frustrated with him, and to be honest we were very poor down the LHS all night.

I’m just trying to be understanding of his rustiness after 3 months out, nothing more.
I agree grigo and to be fair I don't just think its jones who he's not happy with halliday Barker and ojo didn't impress either.

Like I said in another post if he was serious about not bringing anyone in last night will have changed his mind. I think the bench will tell a story on Wednesday if anyone is completely left out ie jones Barker holiday

I agree grigo and to be fair I don't just think its jones who he's not happy with halliday Barker and ojo didn't impress either.

Like I said in another post if he was serious about not bringing anyone in last night will have changed his mind. I think the bench will tell a story on Wednesday if anyone is completely left out ie jones Barker holiday

Absolutely agree on all of that.

Absolute scandal giving him a 3yr deal
Bizarre because he put in a great shift away to Porto but overloading on attacking options and wingers was supposed to help us break down defences at Ibrox. He's failed and only Stewart has been a success in that respect. Hopefully moved on to England because he can certainly cause damage against us if he stays in Scotland due to our attacking full backs

Gerrard looked bored!

We currently have Tav, Helander, and Morelos missing. I hope we don't get another couple, especially up top, as the backup just don't look at the standard we thought they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Let's hope we get someone in who can play along the front line.
Helander aint a worry at the moment.

I know it was only Stranraer but Jordan Jones hasn't kicked a ball in 4 months. It's totally unrealistic to expect him to come back and hit the ground running right away, wingers are inconsistent at the best of times.

The reaction to his display has been pathetic.

Back