Gerrard post match

Thank god we have Gerrard in charge who will not stand for pish performances and call players out on it.

This is spot on and why SG will take us upwards and onwards.

He was World class and played his whole career amung the very best and therefore he is not used to the dross that is football in Scotland.
Players very quickly have to come up to the grade he wants or it is be replaced and I for one could not be happier. For too long players, even good ones, have come to Rangers and stagnated, Gerrard wants, demands improvement.

I imagine last night's failures were told in no uncertain fashion that their performances were not good enough and he is probably eyeing up replacing them in the summer.

Last edited:
I can't recall seeing Barker winning a one on one with a defender. Jones I would cut some slack for now. Ojo managed to lose possession time and time again.

The gaffer did the same once against Man Utd. I'm assuming you saw this poor attitude against midjyland and Warsaw?
I did. I get what your saying, but 2 good games doesn’t make him a game changer or a great player.
the gaffer did the same yes but he was a young player at the time. I get the fact you can lose your head at times in games, but for me the difference between the gaffer getting sent off and jones getting sent off is, Gerrard was raw, Jones wasn’t. Jones was pissed off and flew into a challenge he just didn’t need to make and got injured and sent off. Not great.
And by the way, it’s only my opinion and I get folk may agree or disagree. I may be proved wrong and I kinda hope I am, but for me he just doesn’t have it. Last night showed it for me finally. He should have been there tearing a poor side apart to show the gaffer he’s ready to fight for a place, but he fell flat on his arse. I get he’s coming back from injury, but if he’s fit and ready, then he should be mentally ready too and ready to show he’s there to be trusted.

I did. I get what your saying, but 2 good games doesn’t make him a game changer or a great player.
the gaffer did the same yes but he was a young player at the time. I get the fact you can lose your head at times in games, but for me the difference between the gaffer getting sent off and jones getting sent off is, Gerrard was raw, Jones wasn’t. Jones was pissed off and flew into a challenge he just didn’t need to make and got injured and sent off. Not great.
And by the way, it’s only my opinion and I get folk may agree or disagree. I may be proved wrong and I kinda hope I am, but for me he just doesn’t have it. Last night showed it for me finally. He should have been there tearing a poor side apart to show the gaffer he’s ready to fight for a place, but he fell flat on his arse. I get he’s coming back from injury, but if he’s fit and ready, then he should be mentally ready too and ready to show he’s there to be trusted.
A young player? It was 2015.

Jones is still young-ish. He'll have an important part to play in the next few months. He's still ring rusty having been out for so long.

A young player? It was 2015.

Jones is still young-ish. He'll have an important part to play in the next few months. He's still ring rusty having been out for so long.
What, Gerrard got sent off in 2015? Against Man U? He did get sent off a few times when he was younger in big games, he had a temper I suppose, but his attitude was different as he had a winning mentality, as we have saw clearly throughout the years, and even now he instilling that’s into this squad!
anyyway, the point is we can all agree to disagree that jones is ready for the fight or is good enough. He may be ready to prove people wrong, he defo has ability he just needs to apply himself more when fully fit

Aye, I have! I'm absolutely delighted you have Fu©K all to do with recruitment for the Club, Have a nice day!
Why, because I won't accept passengers?

It was you who said "Jones has been out for months and up against a ten man defence with no space to play in behind".

How many teams give us space in behind? Legitimate question, and are those teams we play of a better standard than part time Stranraer?

I know it was only Stranraer but Jordan Jones hasn't kicked a ball in 4 months. It's totally unrealistic to expect him to come back and hit the ground running right away, wingers are inconsistent at the best of times.

The reaction to his display has been pathetic.

It’s not pathetic! He has had time to get fit and owes the fans a performance.

Nobody is going over the top suggesting that’s not good enough against a pub team!

He has pace and the ability to do something special but rarely produces anything. For me his application and decision making are below par to be a regular player for us.

All I’m saying from my angle is there’s a difference with fitness & match fitness mate. Am I confident he’s going to prove a good acquisition ? No, not really to be honest.

I know it was only Stranraer but Jordan Jones hasn't kicked a ball in 4 months. It's totally unrealistic to expect him to come back and hit the ground running right away, wingers are inconsistent at the best of times.

The reaction to his display has been pathetic.
No. His performance was poor. Biggest issue for me was, as a winger, against crap opposition, he turned inside on EVERY occasion. He should be good enough to go to the bye line against that level of opposition and get the defenders facing their own goal. Could be wrong (may have nodded off) but I don't recall him doing that once. Against Stranraer.

I thought he did a job away to Porto BHB but that apart I must agree.

Yes he was ok but only in the sense that he worked hard, closing space down but as an attacker, a winger which he is, I thought he was poor even in that game.

I can't help get the feeling he just does not seem settled at the club despite what he says, seems on the periphery of things.

Like with every one of our players I hope he proves me wrong and is a hit but from what I have seen so far I just cannot see it.

Yes he was ok but only in the sense that he worked hard, closing space down but as an attacker, a winger which he is, I thought he was poor even in that game.

I can't help get the feeling he just does not seem settled at the club despite what he says, seems on the periphery of things.

Like with every one of our players I hope he proves me wrong and is a hit but from what I have seen so far I just cannot see it.

Agree. And your point is valid about Porto. He produced a hard working & professional performance without ever looking like hurting them.

Nobody is going over the top suggesting that’s not good enough against a pub team!

He has pace and the ability to do something special but rarely produces anything. For me his application and decision making are below par to be a regular player for us.

The reaction to his performance when hes been out for 4 months is pathetic. Not just here, social media in general.

But that's the world we live in nowadays. People go on the internet to say outrageous things looking for a reaction and likes.

Pathetic.

If we were to get a couple of injuries or suspensions, our fringe players don’t fill me with too much confidence. (Young Patterson the exception)... And going by the gaffer’s interviews after the game,I think he feels the same way.

The reaction to his performance when hes been out for 4 months is pathetic. Not just here, social media in general.

But that's the world we live in nowadays. People go on the internet to say outrageous things looking for a reaction and likes.

Pathetic.

He has been out a while but should be able to have more impact in a game like that. Most of the disapproval is based on his lack of application rather than failing to set Ibrox alight.

It was pretty obvious the gaffer had the same opinion on the night!

Pathetic.
Might as well shut down FF now then.

Jones was very poor. He either didn't give his all, or his all is not good enough, regardless of time out.

A player coming back from injury will usually struggle to have things come off, that's fine. That's match sharpness which is excusable. Lack of effort is not.

People commenting on pish performances has existed long before the Internet too.

Anyone who previously saw Barker play for hibs , Or has watched him play for us since he signed must agree he was never going to make the grade , no use slating the guy , he’s just simply not good enough , strange bit of business. Would honestly rather Middleton Coming off the bench.
Middleton will at least have a go, and can finish.

Pathetic.
Apart from 2 games where he made an impact, and apart from my biggest bugbear about getting sent off against the Bheasts and injuring himself in the process, what has he shown to suggest that he’s here for the fight, he’s ready to show the gaffer he’s willing to put in a shift and show what he can do? He’s been given 2 chances, 1 against the champs of Uzbekistan where he did a reasonable job considering it was a bona fide training match, and 1 against a bang average league 1 side who, lets face it aren’t up to much. He should have given at least a 7 out of 10, instead he gave a terrible 4 or 5 at a push.
I guess people react about that because they are expecting bigger and better things from an international class player here, but he’s just not shown it. And it’s not about settling in either because he’s been up here a couple of years now, and his family know all about the rangers and what it means so he should know what’s at stake every single week.

the likes of barker, ojo and halliday to a degree all merit criticism because they are poor to watch. Barker’s a young man with talent but no confidence, but his talent hasn’t shone through and without confidence then nothing’s going to go right for you. Ojo the same, and halliday getsaway with it because he was brought up on Copland road and he knows what it’s all about. Guys like him around can keep the foreign players on their toes and make sure they know what’s it’s like to play for the famous.

everyone has their own opinion, this is a message board after all and folk agree to disagree.

What, Gerrard got sent off in 2015? Against Man U? He did get sent off a few times when he was younger in big games, he had a temper I suppose, but his attitude was different as he had a winning mentality, as we have saw clearly throughout the years, and even now he instilling that’s into this squad!
anyyway, the point is we can all agree to disagree that jones is ready for the fight or is good enough. He may be ready to prove people wrong, he defo has ability he just needs to apply himself more when fully fit

He wasn't at the top of the queue doing nowt last night.

If we were to get a couple of injuries or suspensions, our fringe players don’t fill me with too much confidence. (Young Patterson the exception)... And going by the gaffer’s interviews after the game,I think he feels the same way.
That's my worry and I commented last night that if Barasic gets injured Halliday God forbid takes his place, but worse still when I thought Halliday was injured the sight of Flanigan getting ready to come on gave me the shivers.

I think some are over reacting tbh everyone of our players bar 2 or 3 were slack and the teams performance overall wasn't great and I agree that Barker and Ojo should leave as they have been consistently poor and I think Middleton would actually suit the narrow winger role much better as he is a great finisher but others I will put it down to ring rust with it being the first game back especially Jones as he is just back from Injury and actually looked a smart piece of business at the start of the season

I think some are over reacting tbh everyone of our players bar 2 or 3 were slack and the teams performance overall wasn't great and I agree that Barker and Ojo should leave as they have been consistently poor and I think Middleton would actually suit the narrow winger role much better as he is a great finisher but others I will put it down to ring rust with it being the first game back especially Jones as he is just back from Injury and actually looked a smart piece of business at the start of the season

I just don’t think Glenn has the mobility & touch for that more central role KGR. He does have reasonable pace & can cross well on occasion but he’s far from the solution to this issue.

To me we have three guys capable of playing in the two - Kent, Aribo, Stewart.

We need another option to be honest.

I'm not sure it's simply based on last night with Jones. The manager hasn't been overly complimentary about him in recent times, from the point of injury to his return to training.

I said previously that Jones not taking responsibility was concerning. Even if things didn't come off, you could at least see he was trying to make things happen. Instead, there was very little with the exception of a lovely 2nd half ball to Aribo.

I think Jones and Barker in particular did not do themselves any favours tonight. Ojo was asked to play as a striker which is clearly not his position. Jones - at least - can say that he has been injured for a while.
Halliday was a 6/10 for me. Much better than Barker or Jones but it is clear that he will not be anywhere near our first eleven.

AH got injured early...ish on, i thought he struggled for the rest of the game.

Was surprised to see him come out for the 2nd half.

Just to further labour the point Gerrard clearly knows we are a couple of injuries away, in key positions, from being in trouble.

Barker looks bereft of anything - the one thing he has - pace - is pretty useless against 90% of sides in Scotland

Id give Jones more of a chance - he looked decent before his self inflicted injury and will tske time to get back to match fitness

Ojo is a young guy that works hard but offers very little. He doesnt score enough gosls or assist enough to justify a place in the team. His game sense is also poor - invariably tsking up poor positions or playing the wrong pass

In short, they are all back ups but we need better

I just don’t think Glenn has the mobility & touch for that more central role KGR. He does have reasonable pace & can cross well on occasion but he’s far from the solution to this issue.

To me we have three guys capable of playing in the two - Kent, Aribo, Stewart.

We need another option to be honest.
I'm thinking more about for the time being Middleton would offer more than Barker and Ojo are currently for cover I also wouldn't right Jones of yet and he is still not match sharp yet and looked like he would become a decent option on the wing before his injury

Anyone who previously saw Barker play for hibs , Or has watched him play for us since he signed must agree he was never going to make the grade , no use slating the guy , he’s just simply not good enough , strange bit of business. Would honestly rather Middleton Coming off the bench.

For me it just beggars belief that the club actually signed him - was it down to Mark Allen at the time ?

We have a big problem in that we have several wide players, none of whom are good enough - Kent aside (and aribo who isn't a natural there although been great of late)

It's a serious area in need of strengthening and I hope the management are looking at it. He wasn't perfect but I genuinely think candeias would have been a terrific player to have this season and certainly would be a better option than ojo or bloody barker
He wanted to leave. Forget him.

I'm thinking more about for the time being Middleton would offer more than Barker and Ojo are currently for cover I also wouldn't right Jones of yet and he is still not match sharp yet and looked like he would become a decent option on the wing before his injury

Agree with you mate;)

AH got injured early...ish on, i thought he struggled for the rest of the game.

Was surprised to see him come out for the 2nd half.

He did nothing before he was injured mate, or in any game he’s played since & including East Fife. Let’s be honest. We can’t let emotions stop 55.

Why, because I won't accept passengers?

It was you who said "Jones has been out for months and up against a ten man defence with no space to play in behind".

How many teams give us space in behind? Legitimate question, and are those teams we play of a better standard than part time Stranraer?
Are they better than Midtjylland? Whom Jordan Jones ripped a new arsehole?
When he's fit with a fair few games under his belt he'll take defenders to the cleaners like he did often enough against us and them!

Are they better than Midtjylland? Whom Jordan Jones ripped a new arsehole?
When he's fit with a fair few games under his belt he'll take defenders to the cleaners like he did often enough against us and them!
Templeton ripped Liverpool apart for Hearts as well as giving Whittaker and whoever their right back at the time was an absolutely torrid time.

Tav dealt with Jones well the majority of times we played Killie. Where he did well was when he was running at McAuley who backed off repeatedly, allowing him space to shoot.

I haven't said that Jones lacks skill though. I've said he needs to prove himself, and (on the evidence of the Stranraer game) improve his effort. I've also said that if he needs space to run into to produce then he's going to struggle against the majority of teams we play because they don't leave space and that, in my opinion, that isn't enough.

Steven Gerrard is a man who demands the very highest of standards at all times and it's that very attitude that tells me he will deliver success at this club.

Could you imagine maybe a Nark Warburton or Pedro interview after that match? They would be all high fives and praising the players, big difference in attitude and ambition.

Back