Gerrard post match

Tav will cost him his job in my opinion, when Warburton stuck by him and he sold the cup final to Hibs with his defensive limitations it was the start of the Managers downfall and the same will happen if our manager keeps playing him in big games.

absolutely spot on

Until Gerrard starts dropping underperformers like Ojo, Arfield and Tav, his words are hollow

Too many players know they’ll start regardless of how their form is

Exaclty.
The part where he says we had to reset at half time baffles me.

We were playing really well from 35-45.

I’d love 10 mins with him to have his subs explained. (Not just this game)

At some point Gerrard has to look inward and realise his continued selection of his favourites is as much a mistake as anything that’s happening on the pitch.

If certain players make mistakes they’ll get a seat on the bench, if certain other players make mistakes, they’ll keep their place, even if the abject performances start to mount up. I mean I’d rather we never picked Ojo for a game like that again, he’s got no fight or dig and that’s useless in games like today.

Good interview, we will see if he makes some changes.

Whilst I'm a fan of Tav, he needs to be dropped for a few games to sort himself out, and we need to see if flanagan or polster have got the ability.

Ojo and arfield would also benefit from time out, with kent and Stewart coming in.

I thought Aribo was quiet again as well.

No but i know he’s made an arse of a couple of team selections this season.
So your privy to how the players have been in training over the last few weeks, who has knocks and strains etc.? You know as much as the management?

Deflecting? The players started poorly, did they not? He commended them for getting back into the game. How anyone can either disagree with Gerrard or pick him out on this is beyond me.
I won't pull him up on his comments. All true. What we can pull him up with is if he continues to pick players for crucial games, that Stevie Wonder could see are miles off even being average. Deal with them and let's go to Porto.

Not an excuse but these International breaks aren’t helping us. We always seem to go into them flying and come out of them like the side has never played together before. Poor performance today, lack of creativity hurt us big. Yes there are things need sorted but we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water. We missed Jack’s energy today, It was Kent’s first competitive football for a while, a few people going OTT imho. If you’d offered being level with the mentally challengeds in October, most would have taken that at the start of the season. There’s a lot of football to be played yet, and there are bound to be ups and downs. For what it’s worth I think we would have dropped all 3pts in this game last season, so the fight to get back on level terms is perhaps one bright spot on an otherwise frustrating day

Hutton hit nail on head when he offered opinion about Tav believing he is unstoppable! It isn’t healthy!!!!

So you can confirm that you are better placed and qualified than the management team?
We, as fans, can't know the input of Gerrard and McAllister. We can only judge them by output. Are we allowed to judge the output? If the output is a reflection of the input, the the management need to look at themselves too.

I won't pull him up on his comments. All true. What we can pull him up with is if he continues to pick players for crucial games, that Stevie Wonder could see are miles off even being average. Deal with them and let's go to Porto.
That team couldn't test their keeper till the 30 odd minute; it really wasn't a selection problem. The only thing I'll say is that we miss Jack; the rest of those, being picked to play, should be giving more in a game like that. I disagreed with something the manager said, unlike Gerrard I thought we were poor in the second half. That was one of those games where you kind of know a goals not coming even by the time you get to 70 odd minutes. Nothing creative whatsoever from players who can do much much more.

Why do so many posters get upset at criticism of Gerrard?

Genuine question.

Because he’s a superstar name and he’s great for bringing extra attention on the club and he’s won the CL and so many feel that based on that no one has a right to criticise or critique his performance.

For what it’s worth I’m pretty happy with Gerrard overall, but the fact is he does make mistakes and he shouldn’t be above criticism.

Confuses me that Gerrard seems to be so Teflon coated. His team choices are consistently bizarre Ojo is hopeless ... Are we obliged to play him ?

For the millionth time, no.

Kent has been injured. Barker has been/is injured. Jones is injured.

All wide options which haven’t been available for selection for weeks, so Ojo plays. You are looking for some sinister ulterior motive when the answer is pretty straightforward.

So you can confirm that you are better placed and qualified than the management team?
Silly comment m8, it's all about opinions , but I can guarantee you our management don't get everything right. Proof of that goes back to Ibrox v the Tim's when not one of our 50K crowd would have gone with 5 midfielders and no Morelos. Gerrards doing a GREAT job but he's not immune from criticism.

Aye fine will he drop him? Heard a rumour about Tav and why he’s off it but I’m not going to post it as it could well be bullsh*t. Whatever something is up even his crossing was rank.

If he's not in the right headspace for whatever reason then he shouldn't be playing.
He should take himself out or SG should do it for him

It's the same pish after every bad performance. How about doing something about it? Sending Ojo back to Liverpool would be a start. Stop picking your favourites who are clearly off the boil.

Part of the problem is Gerrard does not play the likes of Polster (as an example) often enough to be ready to play against the likes of Porto. Tav is being asked to play too many games and this is not an excuse for basic errors.
As much as I love having Gerrard as our manager, he is not above criticism.

It's the same pish after every bad performance. How about doing something about it? Sending Ojo back to Liverpool would be a start. Stop picking your favourites who are clearly off the boil.

Aye. Really off the boil. That's why we made up 5 points in the 4 games between international breaks battering teams. Because our players were off the boil.

We dropped points and were poor yesterday. It's happened even to our treble winning teams. It will happen again. You don't see any manager on the planet making huge wholesale changes due to one or two poor games.

Aye. Really off the boil. That's why we made up 5 points in the 4 games between international breaks battering teams. Because our players were off the boil.

We dropped points and were poor yesterday. It's happened even to our treble winning teams. It will happen again. You don't see any manager on the planet making huge wholesale changes due to one or two poor games.

It's not due to one or two bad games at all. There's some players coasting and continuously going through the motions.

Also, we made the points up because the poets were rotten. Although we've played some good stuff in parts players like Tav, Kamara & Arfield for example are nowhere near the level they were at last season - and that's off the boil I'm afraid. To deny that is head in the sand stuff.

Gerrard has taken us massive strides forward, but he's still young and learning and will make mistakes. Repeatedly playing players out of form is one he's going through just now.

I would literally play Kent, Stewart, Jones (when fit), Murphy (when fit) and probably Defoe all ahead of Ojo. Called it when I heard the team Similar feel to the OF game when I just didn't like the team from the off.
Agreed there isn't enough pace in the team and Ojo for me is not a winger, can't wait til the. not packed players are back. Undoubtedly the gaffer will be delighted to have Kent back. How far are the others from a comeback.

It's not due to one or two bad games at all. There's some players coasting and continuously going through the motions.

Also, we made the points up because the poets were rotten. Although we've played some good stuff in parts players like Tav, Kamara & Arfield for example are nowhere near the level they were at last season - and that's off the boil I'm afraid. To deny that is head in the sand stuff.

Gerrard has taken us massive strides forward, but he's still young and learning and will make mistakes. Repeatedly playing players out of form is one he's going through just now.

You don't get the results we've had this season mate carrying so many players who are off the boil or coasting.

Every player has bad games. People also look back on things with rose tinted glasses- plenty of the players you've mentioned had poor games last year and even top players have a run of a few poorer games. If the team picks up the points, that vindicates everything the manager is doing.

We've had an outstanding start to the season- comparable to any of our "good" teams of the past.

We just go into overdrive with the over the top, reactionary nonsense the minute something goes against us.

It's an unnecessary pressure for the management and team and, make no mistake, it will harm us unless stopped.

It's an unnecessary pressure for the management and team and, make no mistake, it will harm us unless stopped.
You've got this the wrong way round, coop. The management team's inability to manage their way round this is what will increase the pressure on the players and ultimately what will harm us.
It's a management issue.

Anyone on this board who thinks they know more than the management team are attention-seeking blowhards.

We move on.
Sorry mate but since the dawn of time fans of every club have voiced their opinion on players, tactics, and yes, even management. Especially after a disappointing performance. It's what keeps us interested and isn't going to change........thankfully.

"Attention seeking blowhards?"
Behave yourself

Sorry mate but since the dawn of time fans of every club have voiced their opinion on players, tactics, and yes, even management. Especially after a disappointing performance. It's what keeps us interested and isn't going to change........thankfully.

"Attention seeking blowhards?"
Behave yourself

You get that a lot on here now, they should realise forums are about accepting/debating differing opinions whether you agree or not.

Management team have to look at them selves first and foremost or we will not win the league. Same mistakes are being made and looking at yesterday the side was not prepared properly. Since last season we continually struggled coming back from breaks. We had just got to the top of the league, timmy responded on Saturday and we failed to keep the pressure on yesterday. There is no excuse the manager and his team should have spent the last two weeks trawling over everything herts until we knew them inside out and back to front. Shoehorning Ojo into the side and dropping Stewart two big errors IMO.

You've got this the wrong way round, coop. The management team's inability to manage their way round this is what will increase the pressure on the players and ultimately what will harm us.
It's a management issue.

There is no issue. We've made an unbelievable start. We've dropped a couple points and our captain is out of form like plenty players the world over. That's it.

You could equally say the correct way for the management to handle it is to continue to show faith in Taverner, for example. They will know what will work best for individual players.

There is no issue. We've made an unbelievable start. We've dropped a couple points and our captain is out of form like plenty players the world over. That's it.

You could equally say the correct way for the management to handle it is to continue to show faith in Taverner, for example. They will know what will work best for individual players.

There's no issue? You just ignoring Tav's errors against Berne? It's more than just 'normal' out of form, he's fallen off a self-belief cliff.

And I wouldn't 'equally say' that any longer, I think it's gone beyond that now and individual players cannot take precedence over what's best for the team.

There's no issue? You just ignoring Tav's errors against Berne? It's more than just 'normal' out of form, he's fallen off a self-belief cliff.

And I wouldn't 'equally say' that any longer, I think it's gone beyond that now and individual players cannot take precedence over what's best for the team.

You said it's a managerial issue. I don't think a player being out of form is an issue. I think it's something that happens to all players at every level all across the world. It literally happens all the time. If Tav had never shown the level he can hit then, aye, it'd be an issue but we know what he can do when on form.

As I said, the best thing for the team might be to show faith in Tav or it might be to take him out. It depends on what he is like as a person as different people respond different ways. Because the best thing for the team is a firing James Tavernier at right back.

It's not just an open and shut case of bomb him out. That will teach him and make him play better.

There's not a manager on the planet who does that to his players and is successful.

I'm sorry mate but I've been involved in and watched the game long enough not to flip out and overreact to the odd bad result.

Actions speak louder than words. Let’s see if he drops the players he needs to. I keep saying Ojo is a man down. Just no fight.

Actions speak louder than words. Let’s see if he drops the players he needs to. I keep saying Ojo is a man down. Just no fight.

Ojo will soon make way for Kent, there's no doubt about it.

And I hope Stewart is given a run ahead of Arfield on the other side.

You said it's a managerial issue. I don't think a player being out of form is an issue. I think it's something that happens to all players at every level all across the world. It literally happens all the time. If Tav had never shown the level he can hit then, aye, it'd be an issue but we know what he can do when on form.

As I said, the best thing for the team might be to show faith in Tav or it might be to take him out. It depends on what he is like as a person as different people respond different ways. Because the best thing for the team is a firing James Tavernier at right back.

It's not just an open and shut case of bomb him out. That will teach him and make him play better.

There's not a manager on the planet who does that to his players and is successful.

I'm sorry mate but I've been involved in and watched the game long enough not to flip out and overreact to the odd bad result.

And I've been involved in folk being duplicitous long enough not to flip out and bite.

1. If you genuinely believe our captain and perhaps main creative player being nowhere near his best isn't an issue we should call it quits now.
2. 'The best thing for the team is a firing Tav at right back'. Agreed, but why state the uncontested obvious.
3. 'It's not just an open and shut case of bomb him out. That will teach him and make him play better.' Poor, poor straw-man.

And I've been involved in and watched the game for over fifty years and know that closing your eyes and hoping it'll somehow just go away doesn't work. Tav needs help, not effectively told to just go and get on with it.

And I've been involved in folk being duplicitous long enough not to flip out and bite.

1. If you genuinely believe our captain and perhaps main creative player being nowhere near his best isn't an issue we should call it quits now.
2. 'The best thing for the team is a firing Tav at right back'. Agreed, but why state the uncontested obvious.
3. 'It's not just an open and shut case of bomb him out. That will teach him and make him play better.' Poor, poor straw-man.

And I've been involved in and watched the game for over fifty years and know that closing your eyes and hoping it'll somehow just go away doesn't work. Tav needs help, not effectively told to just go and get on with it.

Your last sentence shows that you don't really understand the point since I've blatantly said that the best way to help him might be to take him out or it might be to show faith in him.

So not quite effectively just told to get on with it eh?

Your last sentence shows that you don't really understand the point since I've blatantly said that the best way to help him might be to take him out or it might be to show faith in him.

So not quite effectively just told to get on with it eh?

You forgetting you clarified that with
"It's not just an open and shut case of bomb him out. That will teach him and make him play better."?
Anyway, we have differing views on this and we're getting nowhere.

Back