Gerrard Press Conference Champions League Qualifiers

Yeah that was interesting. Dunno if the club have more accurate information but I was under the impression we would be entered at round 3 regardless of what happens with CL / EL winners.

We enter a QR3. Unless Copenhagen become Danish champions then we will be seeded for that round. It's also likely that the Danish champions will enter at the play off round anyways (if not guaranteed)

Surely Gerrard can’t be confused though, why would he say either round 3 or round 4 entry.

I’m in danger of making up a lot of shïte here, but.....

don’t we need either the winners of the champions league (and/or europa league) to qualify for next seasons champions league via their final league standings?

don’t we need either the winners of the champions league (and/or europa league) to qualify for next seasons champions league via their final league standings?

Next season yes, if the winners of the champions league qualify for the group stage through their league then whoever wins the Scottish Premiership get a place in the CL group stages season 22/23. The winner of this seasons Turkish Premier league will likely benefit from this with an automatic group place next season.

He clearly says “ we don’t know yet if we will play 4 games or 2 games , if it’s one round or two , things are still working themselves out “ .
I could understand the 4 or 2 games maybe meaning it a 1 leg tie or 2 legged tie. He does clearly state entering round 3 or 4 though,

Was thinking this, surely Ross Wilson and Gerrard should know this
Gerrard won’t be mistaken , he must have ITK info on something being afoot . There’s a guy on here who’s normally bang up to date with these things , he will clear it up for us , Rnagersgeneral

Are the club basing it on the 20/21 access list where the UCL and EL holder slots weren't used so nation 14 (currently Scotland in 21/22 access list) were bumped to QR4?

That would mean unless Villarreal win the Europa League then that would happen again assuming Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd finish top 4 in Premier League?

Manchester City have already qualified
Chelsea still to do so but in good position

That affects CL - 11th place moves to CLGS 13th place to CLPO, 15th place to CLQR3 if both have qualified via the League - Scotland are 14th

Manchester United have already qualified CLGS and should they win EL means 3rd place in France gets CLGS

Villarreal currently 7th in La Liga and 7th place get a place in Europe

Are the club basing it on the 20/21 access list where the UCL and EL holder slots weren't used so nation 14 (currently Scotland in 21/22 access list) were bumped to QR4?

That would mean unless Villarreal win the Europa League then that would happen again assuming Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd finish top 4 in Premier League?
That is possible as it was different as there was an overlap over of competitions this season so it meant a slight change to the access list

If the nation has to go through qualifiers yeah so because Spain and England get teams straight in that won't apply.

Like every detail we may be over analysing again, any chance Gerrard has been focusing on the games in front of him? End of the season will be the time for a debrief and what next season entails. The fact we're signing players and may lose Hagi to the Olympics, may need to give a prolonged rest to those who make the finals of tournaments in the summer i.e Borna or Morelos. The club will know exactly what's happening and who we might get already. We're too professional an outfit now not to.

I asked on Bert Kassies site if they were 100% sure UEFA would revert back to the old access list.

It was then inferred that this years access list was a 1 off due to covid issues.

If the manager is saying that then there must be doubt over which access list UEFA wish to use.

2020 access list we go straight to Q4

Every other year we go to Q3

Any team already into Q4 has 5 million euros backup payout if they lose and drop into Europa League. Its a huge thing for budgeting.

Last edited:
Maybe he’s alluding to the qualifiers being one-off ties like this season
If timings match up to this season then that would be why they may need to use the 2020 access list which puts us to Q4

Edit : By 2020 access list I’m stating that some different ranking positions start in different rounds from usual. The exact 2021 location Scotland (Rangers) are in is one that shuffles forward from Q3 to Q4

Last edited:
If timings match up to this season then that would be why they may need to use the 2020 access list which puts us to Q4

Edit : By 2020 access list I’m stating that some different ranking positions start in different rounds from usual. The exact 2021 location Scotland (Rangers) are in is one that shuffles forward from Q3 to Q4
What timings and what access list @nelster

Barring any issues the European Club season finishes on schedule

What timings and what access list @nelster

Barring any issues the European Club season finishes on schedule
Im not sure there is an issue at all. There is an amended season 20/21 access list whereby we would have gone to Q4 if it was used for next season.

I’m just going over old ground in terms of what happened this season and how draws were made.

Given we have the likes of Bisgrove at the club who was high up in TEAM the company that organises the logistics of the tournament, albeit not Football admin. We must know whats going on.

Steven Gerrard is usually very very precise in what he says at a press conference. If he’s in doubt over Q3/Q4 there must be something thats to be confirmed by UEFA.

Still doesn't affect us nothing to do automatic qualification

Spain will still have 7 teams in Europe regardless
Maybe reading the conference page wrong but if Villareal win the Europa league then there space would go to the next highest ranked association were they to finish 7th in the league. So think the 3rd team in Russia would move up a round and take there place.

As you've said in your other posts I don't think it will change what round we start in for the CL qualifiers.

Im not sure there is an issue at all. There is an amended season 20/21 access list whereby we would have gone to Q4 if it was used for next season.

I’m just going over old ground in terms of what happened this season and how draws were made.

Given we have the likes of Bisgrove at the club who was high up in TEAM the company that organises the logistics of the tournament, albeit not Football admin. We must know whats going on.

Steven Gerrard is usually very very precise in what he says at a press conference. If he’s in doubt over Q3/Q4 there must be something thats to be confirmed by UEFA.
This season was an one off due the issues at the beginning of it as you say

As much as I would like us enter at the Play-off round I don't see it happening

Maybe reading the conference page wrong but if Villareal win the Europa league then there space would go to the next highest ranked association were they to finish 7th in the league. So think the 3rd team in Russia would move up a round and take there place.

As you've said in your other posts I don't think it will change what round we start in for the CL qualifiers.
Yeah it affect the Conference League only if Villarreal win on 26th May

Based on last seasons access list we would just need Chelsea to finish top 4 to go into QR4?

This season was an one off due the issues at the beginning of it as you say

As much as I would like us enter at the Play-off round I don't see it happening
Nor me.
Based on last seasons access list we would just need Chelsea to finish top 4 to go into QR4?
Club finishing positions are an irrelevance to it (I think)

Here’s what changed and as rangeral says looks more to do with the titleholder spots

Back