Gerrard Press Conference Champions League Qualifiers

Club finishing positions or who wins what are an irrelevance to it (I think)
I read it as if Champions League winner already qualifies for next seasons tournament through their domestic league, then 11th country get automatic place and countries below get reshuffled.

So if Chelsea finish top 4 then both them and Man City have qualified for next seasons tournament already.

Seem only change to Scotland's access list is 3rd place moving up a qualifying round in the Conference League

CL-TH is also qualified for CL-GS via league (ManC or Chelsea when they finish in top 4 in EPL):
- CH-11 (TUR) from CLq4c to CL-GS
- CH-13 (DEN) from CLq3c to CLq4c
- CH-15 (CZE) from CLq2c to CLq3c
- CH-18 (GRE) and CH-19 (SRB) from CLq1c to CLq2c
- one losing champion from CLq1c will be drawn as lucky loser and moves (normally to ECLq2c) but instead now to ECLq3c

CL-TH is qualified for EL-GS via league (Chelsea when they finish 5 or 6 in EPL):
- CL-TH from EL-GS to CL-GS
- CW-8 (BEL) from ELq4n to EL-GS
- CW-15 (CZE) from ELq3n to ELq4n
- one losing N2 from CLq2n will be drawn as lucky loser and moves (normally to ELq3n) but instead now to ELq4n
- N3-7 (RUS) from ECLq3n to ECLq4n
- N3-14 (SCO) from ECLq2n to ECLq3n
- CW-32 (SVN) and CW-33 (HUN) from ECLq1n to ECLq2n

EL-TH is also qualified for CL-GS via league (most probably ManU):
- N3-5 (FRA) to CL-GS
- N2-10 (NED) and N2-11 (TUR) from CLq2n to CLq3n

EL-TH is qualified for EL-GS via league (most probably Villarreal):
- EL-TH from EL-GS to CL-GS
- CW-8 (BEL) from ELq4n to EL-GS
- one losing N2 from CLq2n will be drawn as lucky loser and moves (normally to ELq3n) but instead now to ELq4n

I read it as if Champions League winner already qualifies for next seasons tournament through their domestic league, then 11th country get automatic place and countries below get reshuffled.

So if Chelsea finish top 4 then both them and Man City have qualified for next seasons tournament already.
I shall leave it as lots of side affects out there. Theres a one off covid access list from the season just finishing, that would put us in Q4, but nobody can see why UEFA would need it next season or actually change it permanently.

Maybe SG and the Club are exercising caution as we’re in a fluid situation.

After all, the UCL Final is in 18 days and there’s no definitive answer of where the game is taking place. Istanbul, Wembley or Lisbon

After all, the UCL Final is in 18 days and there’s no definitive answer of where the game is taking place. Istanbul, Wembley or Lisbon
Yeah, its a stand-off. Boris says he's happy to give UEFA the necessary bung to get the Final at Wembley but the trade-off is that UEFA agree to slip Rangers up to the CL Play-Off round.;):)

Still doesn't affect us nothing to do automatic qualification

Spain will still have 7 teams in Europe regardless
Yes but those teams may have to play qualifiers and may not automatically qualify for champions league is my point.

Can't see it being Istanbul due to high Covid levels.
Can't see it being Wembley (UEFA want 2000 bigwigs/UEFA delegates to bypass UK Covid rules).
I expect it will go to Lisbon.
Does SG think that Real, Barca and Juve will be banned for next season ?

Yes but those teams may have to play qualifiers and may not automatically qualify for champions league is my point.
Why would they have to play qualifiers? They would just all go straight to the group stage if any team gets denied access for whatever reason. That's what happens when clubs don't get a license. It just goes to the next placed team in the association.

In the (unlikely) event of Real, Barca and Juventus getting a ban it will have no effect on us.

2012. We don’t get a license to play in Europe. The Champions League place goes to Motherwell.

Plenty of other examples out there. Trabzonspor got an automatic CL space years ago when Besiktas (I think) didn’t get a Euro license.

Surely not. Their places would simply go to the next nominated teams from those respective FAs, eg Real Sociedad or something.
I think UEFA will want to give them as long as possible though mate, which could perhaps lead onto to past the first preliminary rounds. Which would surely mean new teams couldn’t be brought in, only kicked out? Teams can 100% be kicked out mid-season as we seen UEFA propose that right when ESL news broke.

Back