Gerrard press conference - after the Poznan game

Definitely a moment where it doesn't come out as you meant it, we've all been there.

Gerrard I've noticed always backs his team when we've played the better teams, it's when we play the lesser opposition you're more likely to hear him be more critical. We got the job done certainly not a vintage performance won't win any awards either.

The lad had no chance even trying to take the shine off a win.

8, possibly 9/10.

IMO those saying we were below par are basing this on Poznan being the pot 4 side in the group. As I said on another post for me they looked better than Leige.
I think a lot of it is down to them completely amending their system to nullify us. Where as against Benfica & domestically they attack more leading to defensive fragility. Thus, we were expecting to skoosh them.

More I think about it the more I think we done well.

For me that's downplaying Lech Poznan's performance. It was clear to me they'd done their homework and they frustrated the life out of us for the first 55 minutes, cutting off our usual passing lanes and keeping Tavernier and Kent quiet. Based on the two games so far they look a better side than Standard Liege, in my opinion.
Best post of the night.

You could see right from the get go that Lech were a fast, physical and direct team who'd looked at how we played and set themselves up to counter it and were pretty effective. They almost got away with a point, too.

We just had the edge of quality to win, though.

Against Feyenoord in Holland the BB was sung, Jordan called people out on twitter for it because we’d just been fined for singing.

Thus, he’s seemingly a grass.
I don't remember this but, if true, he had every right.

A grass? Some folks need to get a grip.

I don't remember this but, if true, he had every right.

A grass? Some folks need to get a grip.
Yeah mate, that is what happened and as another poster above has said you could actually hear it on the tele!.

The whole grass thing is nonsense, we’ve got few friends in the media so why try put one down.

His work on Rangers is brilliant & far too informative/analytical for standard MSM. Read his piece on Jelavic today, great work as per usual.

He generally has a good relationship with the club, hope that doesn’t sour it.

Surely that isn't all that's fueling @LarkfiedLoyalNS calling him a grass / a rat / the same as Spiers? If so, time to get a grip.

Would folk be saying it was harsh if it was a record or sun journo or is it because it’s Campbell?

I’ve said before he is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and maybe after his poor article where he said Morelos was turned on by money or along those lines Gerrard has waited for a stupid and poor question like that to sting him?

Would folk be saying it was harsh if it was a record or sun journo or is it because it’s Campbell?

I’ve said before he is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and maybe after his poor article where he said Morelos was turned on by money or along those lines Gerrard has waited for a stupid and poor question like that to sting him?

He's admitted in his tweets above that he made an arse of it and his point didn't come across as intended

Gerrard must read some of the pish these journalists get paid to write and it obviously will piss him off ..
He’s entitled to his opinion as much as them ..

The journalist will just need to live and learn... passing higher English doesn’t make you an expert on a game the majority have never played to any sort of serious level..

8, possibly 9/10.

IMO those saying we were below par are basing this on Poznan being the pot 4 side in the group. As I said on another post for me they looked better than Leige.
I don't think it really matters what pot you come out of now, because they were bottom seeds doesn't mean they are a poor team, They could do well in Europe as they did in qualifying and it could be down to other teams performing poorly,taking all the good work away and why they were in pot four,similar to the sheep and Motherwell doing poorly and then affecting our seeding by way of coefficient.

Poznan are a strange team, sitting 10th in their league with 2 wins in 7 games, scored twice against a very good Benfica team last week and at one point were leading against them, had 19 shots on goal against them with 9 on target.They seem to lift their game for European games.

Against Rangers and bear in mind they're this all out attacking team, they had no shots on target but scored twice and had 19 shots against Benfica, that kinda says to me they aren't as gung ho away from home as they are when playing on their own ground.

Isn't a lot of money in Polish football so perhaps they see the Europa league as a way to earn good money from it and maybe priority is being given over the league hense their poor league form,for a team put together for so little money I thought they were very good.

Legia and Poznan are the top teams in Poland but looking at their league positions you wouldn't think so,they finished second last season behind Legia by 3pts so from a footballing point you can see why last nights game was very similar to the game against Legia and not much between Legia and Poznan and two scrappy 1-0 wins.

Perhaps similar to the situation between Roy Keane and Jurgen Klopp the other week were the bold German took offence at Keane's suggestion that Liverpool were a bit sloppy at times.

What player isn't turned on by money,Morelos included.

For me that's downplaying Lech Poznan's performance. It was clear to me they'd done their homework and they frustrated the life out of us for the first 55 minutes, cutting off our usual passing lanes and keeping Tavernier and Kent quiet. Based on the two games so far they look a better side than Standard Liege, in my opinion.

I think we actually did really well to still find a way to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate the last half hour and find the winner.

A fine European performance for me and certainly more than a 7/10.
Yep we worked it out without panicking. A mature performance.

I actually cringed when he was asking the question - he sounded like a nervous wee boy who had won a competition to attend the presser, and was rattled when Gerrard got nippy with him. Fwiw, I don’t think he intended to offend Gerrard, I think he was complimenting the fact we don’t need to be at the top of our game to win in Europe anymore, and I reckon most of us would agree that’s a fair assessment of tonight.

Completely shot down, in flames. I think he meant it as a compliment as well. Obviously the managers sees the game, his team's performance, completely different. He'll appreciate more the hard work, the positioning, speed, the fitness levels and the quality of the other team and not just what we do on the ball

Completely shot down, in flames. I think he meant it as a compliment as well. Obviously the managers sees the game, his team's performance, completely different. He'll appreciate more the hard work, the positioning, speed, the fitness levels and the quality of the other team and not just what we do on the ball

How many threads, how many posts have there been on here insisting the club needs to put journalists in their place
The manager does just that and the bleeding hearts are out for the journalist
F@&$k that
He's going to need a thicker skin than that if this reply causes him a break down
Lays down a marker to the rest
Show the appropriate respect or you'll get chewed out
A big thumbs up to the manager from me

If you weren’t in Holland you could not hear the billy boys being sung that night. People need to remember how delicate the situation with fare was at the time, nobody (not even any of the ones who go out there way to hear such things) mentioned Rangers fans signing “naughty” songs that night, except for Jordan Campbell. It was naive at best and led to a nervous few days.

If you weren’t in Holland you could not hear the billy boys being sung that night. People need to remember how delicate the situation with fare was at the time, nobody (not even any of the ones who go out there way to hear such things) mentioned Rangers fans signing “naughty” songs that night, except for Jordan Campbell. It was naive at best and led to a nervous few days.

Possibly ill-thought from Jordan Campbell but the real problem with that situation (during a delicate time, as you've put it) is the people singing regardless of the consequences to the club, which could have been pretty dire, not the guy tweeting about it.

Possibly ill-thought from Jordan Campbell but the real problem with that situation (during a delicate time, as you've put it) is the people singing regardless of the consequences to the club, which could have been pretty dire, not the guy tweeting about it

I’m not arguing the songs shouldn’t be sung but you know yourself how desperate some journalists were to nail us around the time, not one other journalist tweeted or brought up the singing that night apart from Jordan Campbell. Why was “one of us” in such a rush to draw attention to our fans that night when others, who would have been looking for an issue, couldn’t find one.

I’m not arguing the songs shouldn’t be sung but you know yourself how desperate some journalists were to nail us around the time, not one other journalist tweeted or brought up the singing that night apart from Jordan Campbell. Why was “one of us” in such a rush to draw attention to our fans that night when others, who would have been looking for an issue, couldn’t find one.
At the risk of going over old ground, that is not the question you should be asking yourself.

Why is there an element of our support who wilfully set out to trash our reputation and how do we inject some fcuking savvy into them are the questions we need to ask.

If you are right I’d be disappointed if this results in any falling-out between the two because I enjoy Jordan Campbell‘s work in the Atlantic and wouldn’t like it to be adversely affected by access problems.

Access problems? Don’t be daft, journalists have been slating us for years & still have free reign access on match days.

Bit harsh from the gaffer I thought. He didn't look happy right from the start of the question actually, wonder if he's pissed off at him for something else and just wanted an excuse to have a go at him?

He maybe sent the tweet because of the utter frustration he felt after everything we'd just been through. People were still insisting on singing those songs despite the sensitive situation.
We shouldn't be trying to cover anything up, thats not our style!

How many threads, how many posts have there been on here insisting the club needs to put journalists in their place
The manager does just that and the bleeding hearts are out for the journalist
F@&$k that
He's going to need a thicker skin than that if this reply causes him a break down
Lays down a marker to the rest
Show the appropriate respect or you'll get chewed out
A big thumbs up to the manager from me

It's a moment in time and a badly worded question. I doubt a bad question is going to result in Jordan being excluded from further interviews and I also doubt that Gerrard is going to never speak to Jordan again on the basis of this one question.

We face real bigoted snidey scum with their weighted questions all the time. Based on Jordan's articles for The Athletic, he is most definitely not one of those people.

Who is the journo he ripped in the middle (2.44 in) of the presser? "yous didnae play well, 7 out of 10 but won" patter. Sorted him, great work SG.

TBF, he was right, it was a 7/10 type performance. That's not a criticism
It was Jordan Campbell (I believe), the Rangers correspondent from The Athletic.

To be fair he was right, it was a 7/10 sort of performance. That's not a criticism. Think Gerrard was still a bit hyped up and a bit unfair on Jordan there.

Ouch! that was the cobra striking.

JC will learn and get better, the Gaffer sometimes takes an opportunity to stamp his authority, I think Charles Patterson tended to get it over the last while.

Made for good TV!

I don't think Campbell should be pilloried for the question. I think we are all of the same opinion as him that it was roughly a 7 out of 10. I think he was simply saying that we still got the result whilst not playing to our recent high standards.

If he has sense he'll have appologised for the way it was worded. Maybe not publically but you'd like to think he'd have had a word with the press officer to smooth things over.

I dare say it wasn't malicious, but was clumsy, and if Gerrard hadn't shot him down the narrative would have been how we were under-performing and scraping by, whilst totally disrespecting our opponents who certainly showed that they will be a tough test in the return fixture.
His work on Rangers is brilliant & far too informative/analytical for standard MSM. Read his piece on Jelavic today, great work as per usual.

He generally has a good relationship with the club, hope that doesn’t sour it.

Back