Gerrard Q & A - how did it go?

Sell Morelos for as much as possible and give him £15m on top of that.

The Board need to stop fannying about and start backing Gerrard with hard cash - and plenty of it.

There's no chance of stopping Celtic if they don't

Not at all.

The reality is that the mentally challengeds are hurtling towards 10.

Another bunch of loans and frees isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.

I am in no doubt no Gerrard has told them what he wants and they will have to back him. Gerrard has the fans on his side, we don't want another Rodgers v Lawwell situation here

I think it was nearer £7m-£8m but the point is moot.

We already run at a loss and are likely to do so again this season, even with the hefty EL windfall. After the last share issue I think the outstanding soft loans must be down to about £12m, perhaps still a little more. The Board have invested heavily.

Where are the Board finding the means to ‘dig deeper’? It’s easy spending other folks money. We need to be ‘managed’ back to stability and it’s a gradual process. Shooting ourselves in the foot with managerial change every Summer and massive player churn isn’t helping us.

Morelos, and his sale, may well help dig us out of the hole. Similarly with the much-criticised - on here at least - Tavernier.
Definitely nearer £5m. The Windass and Declan John offset some of our spend.

Right now we don't have time for a "gradual process".

If it wasn't for the Morelos money coming in we would be in trouble.

I am in no doubt no Gerrard has told them what he wants and they will have to back him. Gerrard has the fans on his side, we don't want another Rodgers v Lawwell situation here
Yep. Board HAVE to back Gerrard. Properly. Anything else is not an option for them.

Whilst I like Kent, he's not the messiah and has flattered to deceive in some poor performances recently and if Liverpool want too much for him, we move on and Murphy will return, Jones is possibly a better signing than first anticipated etc.

I'd be keeping Alfredo if possible and possibly cash in on someone else.

Last edited:
We have to be careful not to pre-judge what the board do in the summer. We will be within limits that the manager would be and have already been all too aware of before he came. I'm confident he will have good support this coming window.

Not at all.

And if the board throw money at Gerrard and he fails? The ones shouting the loudest for the board to give Gerrard hard cash will be the first to complain. I wouldn't be throwing mega bucks at him as he's shown a number of weaknesses, a few down to being inexperienced (which is for different debate) a few his own doing.

Maybe we know what Liverpool rate Kent at and he's simply not worth that amount of money?

Definitely nearer £5m. The Windass and Declan John offset some of our spend.

Right now we don't have time for a "gradual process".

If it wasn't for the Morelos money coming in we would be in trouble.

Yes, your last para is correct in terms of transfer spend. The bottom line is we can’t spend money that the Club, or our investors, don’t have. Eventually we have to get away from soft loans. The sustainability of our Club is more important that anything the other lot might do. If they do 10 now then we do 11 in the future.

Sell Morelos for as much as possible and give him £15m on top of that.

The Board need to stop fannying about and start backing Gerrard with hard cash - and plenty of it.

There's no chance of stopping Celtic if they don't
Where do they magic up plenty of cash from? If they don't have it, how can they spend it?

Gerrard naively thought he could challenge Celtic with a few loans and £5m quid.

I'm sure he now realises the sheer folly of his thinking at that time.

The Board have to find a way of bringing investment to the club and handing Gerrard a massive war chest if we're serious about stopping 10 in a row.

We're running out of time.

Where do they magic up plenty of cash from? If they don't have it, how can they spend it?

They've got to do more to bring investment to the club.

If we continue to do what we're doing then we'll never close the gap. Celtic can make it as many in a row as they want. They'll also reach 55 before us.

What we're doing just now isn't working.

Gerrard naively thought he could challenge Celtic with a few loans and £5m quid.

The Board have to find a way of bringing investment to the club and handing Gerrard a massive war chest if we're serious about stopping 10 in a row.

And spent the money poorly; Lafferty, Grezda, Barišić, spent money on Katič and brought in a CB on a loan deal to play ahead of him. Goldson at £3m or whatever is also questionable considering how poor he's been in the 2nd half of the season, he's not kicked a ball since the win against them on the 29th December and whilst he had some proper good games in the first half of the season, he also has some shockers.

Recruitment in January was poor.

You can't spend money you don't have unless you want to get in debt.

Whilst I like Kent, he's not the messiah and has flattered to deceive is some poor performances recently and if Liverpool want too much for him, we move on and Murphy will return, Jones is possibly a better signing than first anticipated etc.

I'd be keeping Alfredo if possible and possibly cash in on someone else.

We haven't got anyone worth anywhere near as much we'd need to cash in on.

Not at all.

That might well be the case. Where’s the money coming from though? There aren’t any sugar daddy’s riding over the horizon to invest mega millions into the club. It’s going to be a slow process getting back to the top, the sooner folk realise that the better.

They've got to do more to bring investment to the club.

If we continue to do what we're doing then we'll never close the gap. Celtic can make it as many in a row as they want. They'll also reach 55 before us.

What we're doing just now isn't working.
Exactly.

We can't have a closed shop with regard to this board. It is clear we need external investment as the current board do not have sufficient finances for what we need.

King needs to address this ASAP. The clock is ticking.

I'm not sure that Gerrard would have thought that, we are the naive ones for thinking we could challenge on those funds, he has always said its a project and will take time to build, time unfortunately is something we don't have a lot of.

Its not like he turned down 20 million to spend because he told the board he could do it with 5 million.

I'm well aware of that. But say we get a silly offer for Tav who has a few admirers down south?

Who replaces Morelos? Underline this bit!

It was you who said we should possibly cash in on someone else so if you're well aware that we don't have anyone else why post it?!?!?!

Exactly.

We can't have a closed shop with regard to this board. It is clear we need external investment as the current board do not have sufficient finances for what we need.

King needs to address this ASAP. The clock is ticking.
No one has wanted to invest in the last god knows how many years.

I don't think the board are ignoring revenue streams because they can't be bothered looking, I think getting investment in Scottish football is almost impossible unless it's relatively low amounts.

It was you who said we should possibly cash in on someone else so if you're well aware that we don't have anyone else why post it?!?!?!

Oh ffs. Do you need a diagram or translator?

Sell the next most valuable asset and keep the best player we have as he won't be as easy to replace.

No one has wanted to invest in the last god knows how many years.

I don't think the board are ignoring revenue streams because they can't be bothered looking, I think getting investment in Scottish football is almost impossible unless it's relatively low amounts.
I believe there is something in the pipeline that will come out very soon that will raise a bit of cash but will have folk scratching their heads at.

Have you got evidence of this 'naivety'?

Oh ffs. Do you need a diagram or translator?

Sell the next most valuable asset and keep the best player we have as he won't be as easy to replace.

Seeing as you said yourself we don't have a next most valuable asset maybe I do need a diagram or translator as you disprove your own argument but whatever you think.

Really excellent night,enjoyed it.Both Stevie G and Mark Allen spoke really well,they are both really professional.They have a long term plan and vision to return Rangers to where we all want them to be,interesting insight into things going on behind the scenes that sometimes we don’t appreciate.
Steven Gerrard was very patient at the end,everyone got the chance for their photo to be taken with our manager.
£13,080 raised for the charity foundation on the night.

What did they say about behind the scenes? Looking for new investment or anything? This isnt the first time they have said similar.

The board need to start digging deeper.

I laugh when I read that "the board really backed him in the summer".

£5m net spend is not properly backing our manager - at all.
It really is when it is being paid by the directors themselves as well as all the other running costs. Like everyone else I’m desperate to challenge the dhims but we need to do so within our means. Lots of short memories sometimes.

The board need to start digging deeper.

I laugh when I read that "the board really backed him in the summer".

£5m net spend is not properly backing our manager - at all.
errr. £5m of YOUR own money (regardless of what they lost to the spivs) is a HUGE whack of money in my mind. Where the fek do you think the directors are getting this money from? Tooth Fairy??

That might well be the case. Where’s the money coming from though? There aren’t any sugar daddy’s riding over the horizon to invest mega millions into the club. It’s going to be a slow process getting back to the top, the sooner folk realise that the better.
We've earned around £18m that wasn't budgeted for this season, Will be a disgrace If he's given less than £10m of that ontop of what was budgeted previously

We've earned around £18m that wasn't budgeted for this season, Will be a disgrace If he's given less than £10m of that ontop of what was budgeted previously

We made a £5mil profit with the £14mil or so earned from the Europa League. Ultimately we'll report a loss in the 2md half of the season as there's no Euro footy.

So to say it's a disgrace if we don't spend at least £10mil on top of what we had planned on spending isn't based on reality.

We made a £5mil profit with the £14mil or so earned from the Europa League. Ultimately we'll report a loss in the 2md half of the season as there's no Euro footy.

So to say it's a disgrace if we don't spend at least £10mil on top of what we had planned on spending isn't based on reality.
The loss was expected to be anywhere from £14-18m bigger depending on TV money.

The board have a choice between using it to subsidise the losses or stick to the strategy from the summer and let the manager improve the squad.

errr. £5m of YOUR own money (regardless of what they lost to the spivs) is a HUGE whack of money in my mind. Where the fek do you think the directors are getting this money from? Tooth Fairy??
How was it the board's money ??

I seem to recall that ST revenue from US is a big factor.

The club still has revenue - the board are just topping up things to make sure the bills are paid.

And remember - it was THEIR decision to appoint Pedro and subsequently waste millions.

As I said, this board are not beyond criticism.

It really is when it is being paid by the directors themselves as well as all the other running costs. Like everyone else I’m desperate to challenge the dhims but we need to do so within our means. Lots of short memories sometimes.
Sorry - but the reality is that "within our means" is not going to win us titles.

It might be a nice idealistic plan - but the reality is different.

Not at all.

Aye, they should bankrupt themselves just to stop 10. Theyve been happy to to cover the big losses weve been making every season so far but they just arent doing enough.

Sticking another £30m of their own money in Gerrards locker should do it.

Personally i couldnt give a shit about 10. Theyve had their unbeaten domestic season, theyve had their back to back trebles. They were forgotten about after 5 minutes. They dont really matter because theyve had a free run at it for so long.

Id rather the club was made self sustainable in the long term than the short termism of throwing wads of money we cant afford just to stop Celtc. Was 2012 not enough of a wake up call?

I believe there is something in the pipeline that will come out very soon that will raise a bit of cash but will have folk scratching their heads at.
A "bit of cash" "folk scratching their heads".

Must admit, that doesn't sound amazing.

Aye, they should bankrupt themselves just to stop 10. Theyve been happy to to cover the big losses weve been making every season so far but they just arent doing enough.

Sticking another £30m of their own money in Gerrards locker should do it.

Personally i couldnt give a shit about 10. Theyve had their unbeaten domestic season, theyve had their back to back trebles. They were forgotten about after 5 minutes. They dont really matter because theyve had a free run at it for so long.

Id rather the club was made self sustainable in the long term than the short termism of throwing wads of money we cant afford just to stop Celtc. Was 2012 not enough of a wake up call?
Really ? I mean really ?? Easy to say now when we are a couple of years away, but I guarantee you would feel the opposite if it were to happen. I know I would.

Sorry - but the reality is that "within our means" is not going to win us titles.

It might be a nice idealistic plan - but the reality is different.
There isnt a Chinese billionaire waiting to buy us so make your peace with us having to live within our means.

he told everyone the performance against Killie was close to being alright...........

Back