Gerrard Q & A - how did it go?

It isn't toxic, the manager's job isn't impossible, and it is way far from being unprofessional. I normally rate your posts but this is melodramatic. Where you and disagree about the kind of leadership we'd both like to see is that I see it as something for sometime in the future, whereas you want it now; unreasonable in my view.

I don't accept I'm being melodramatic, look at the bigger picture, please.
How many points have we lost this season due to officiating? How many times are we booked or sent off due to the same? How has Jack been treated by the officials, Alfie? What's your opinion on the CO and the impossible stats on our citings compared to theirs? If you were a player would you allow your admiration for Gerrard to override your concerns about signing for a club which sees its players regularly suffer assaults and is targeted by the authorities?

The club's name is tarnished almost every day and at every opportunity by the mhedia, the BBC in particular. Politicians use us as society's whipping boys whenever they can. That constant drip, drip, drip of negativity influences opinions eventually, particularly when the club appears to condone it by not putting it right. The message the club sends by effectively doing nothing but wringing its hands is one of acceptance and subservience. If you were considering investing in a club would your due diligence not look at how that investment may reflect on you and also at the public relations of the enterprise? How was it perceived in its operating market? Would you prefer to invest in a club that boasted of being 'open to all' or one that accepts vilification and apparently doesn't have the will, self-respect, confidence or the execs to ensure that it is honestly and accurately represented to the public?

Our enemies end-game is to reduce us to a permanent Hearts, or worse.

Sell Morelos for as much as possible and give him £15m on top of that.

The Board need to stop fannying about and start backing Gerrard with hard cash - and plenty of it.

There's no chance of stopping Celtic if they don't

It’s not just as simple as that. Everyone would like for money to just appear and spend enough to win the league but if the cash simply isn’t there then it can’t be done. And it will cause us long term problems if we think spending money we don’t have in the short term is the answer.

It's clear that thet are not necessarily going to put in any more than the levels have been doing. That's fine, but my original point was that we need external investment/share issue due to this shortfall. My expectation is that the board need to arrange this at the earliest opportunity.
Of course we need external investment, not easy to get playing in this league. Why would anyone put millions of their own money into a loss making company?You havent actually answered my question tho.

Of course we need external investment, not easy to get playing in this league. Why would anyone put millions of their own money into a loss making company?You havent actually answered my question tho.
My conclusion is that I don't expect them to put any more money in for much longer. They've kind of indicated that anyway. Hence my concern and why other avenues need to be looked at.

I get that mate.

I'm saying that the status quo is not sustainable. However it is the board's responsibility to try and change things - bringing in external investment/share issue.
I think the status quo is a misappropriated term here, because the situation of the club right now is developing, and for the past three seasons each transfer window has been different; the commercial opportunities and sponsorship have been developing and still have potential. I think the club is being run how it should be right now, and if we take the transfer windows as a case in point, this one coming up won't be one where we have positions to fill never mind get better players, but where we can add to what we have mostly. I'd also suggest of fundamental importance is the youth players with the potential to come through- the impact of having Steven Gerrard helping Stephen Kelly, for instance, is one that excites me; he could be the best we'be seen in a while. A few years ago we didn't even have scouts; we need to hold on to a better perspective at times.

How many points have we lost this season due to officiating? How many times are we booked or sent off due to the same? How has Jack been treated by the officials, Alfie? What's your opinion on the CO and the impossible stats on our citings compared to theirs? If you were a player would you allow your admiration for Gerrard to override your concerns about signing for a club which sees its players regularly suffer assaults and is targeted by the authorities?

The club's name is tarnished almost every day and at every opportunity by the mhedia, the BBC in particular. Politicians use us as society's whipping boys whenever they can. That constant drip, drip, drip of negativity influences opinions eventually, particularly when the club appears to condone it by not putting it right. The message the club sends by effectively doing nothing but wringing its hands is one of acceptance and subservience. If you were considering investing in a club would your due diligence not look at how that investment may reflect on you and also at the public relations of the enterprise? How was it perceived in its operating market? Would you prefer to invest in a club that boasted of being 'open to all' or one that accepts vilification and apparently doesn't have the will, self-respect, confidence or the execs to ensure that it is honestly and accurately represented to the public?

Good post mate. Nails it for me.

The amount of money they have put in overs the past few years has been welcome. But let's not kid ourselves on here. For their combined wealth the money they have put in is more than manageable to them. The input is appreciated but my point was that the fans put in more each season. That's a fact.
They are also fans

45,000 s/ticket holders pay £100 levy and it's £4.5m.

Of course not all can afford it be we need to be realistic and think of ways we can expand income streams.

Board are legends but not 'wealthy' in football terms and we must try and help them raise funds.

Of course not all can afford it be we need to be realistic and think of ways we can expand income streams.

Board are legends but not 'wealthy' in football terms and we must try and help them raise funds.
In the absence of external investment and looking at the levels of investment from the board, I would be more than willing to add a couple of hundred quid to my ST each season. That's maybe where we need to look, for the time being.

Let's be honest, what's £100/£200 over the course of a year really ?

The majority of big clubs in Europe have a form of membership now and is the model we should be looking at imo. Maybe 100 quid per member is a good start, but you get some discounts for Gers store, money off the grub at Ibrox, entry into prize draws for a signed shirt /match ball (this could be a monthly draw), hospitality ticket prizes, discounts with club partners.

We need to do something to generate an additional 5m+ a year.

Something like:

charge card for cashless stadium...all fans who 'donated' £100 extra get 1% off each transaction? Also get money off strips and shorts etc. Something like that

I will happily take an increase on my ticket. I can’t afford to be chucking an extra £100 on top.

I’d ramp up the price of the day trip tickets. We would still sell out due to there only being a couple of thousand. I think that’s a better idea than potentially pissing off the 45k that are making a commitment before a ball is kicked. The last few years performances have not Warranted that level of support.

In my opinion the club is engaging in those areas you speak about. Of particular interest to me is a point you have made before about leadership, or lack of, at the top of the club, and I think we agree on that, but that I think that's something a bit further off. I think such a person would need quite a degree of autonomy and perhaps the dynamics of the board doesn't allow for that right now. Personally, one day, I would like such a person to come from within the club, so who that should be is open to question. Historically the club has always done well with a strong figurehead, and that is where we do agree, albeit you want that now, and so do I but I don't think it's possible.

In the absence of external investment and looking at the levels of investment from the board, I would be more than willing to add a couple of hundred quid to my ST each season. That's maybe where we need to look, for the time being.

Let's be honest, what's £100/£200 over the course of a year really ?

I would also mate but Im in a fortunate position where I can afford to.

a lot of people will not be in that boat, espacially if you have 2 or 3 season tickets for kids etc.

Something like:

charge card for cashless stadium...all fans who 'donated' £100 extra get 1% off each transaction? Also get money off strips and shorts etc. Something like that
It's that sort of thinking that I see very little coming from this board.

We don't appear to have any dynamic guys in there who are innovate, creative or ideas driven.

Just as an example, the idea you have mentioned would be more than capable of being adopted and working - but there just seems a lack of this kind of mindset from within the club.

I will happily take an increase on my ticket. I can’t afford to be chucking an extra £100 on top.

I’d ramp up the price of the day trip tickets. We would still sell out due to there only being a couple of thousand. I think that’s a better idea than potentially pissing off the 45k that are making a commitment before a ball is kicked. The last few years performances have not Warranted that level of support.

I know....we're at a crossroads. Without CL football we rely totally on Michael Jackson FC not getting in either and that's not sustainable. As it is they will sell Kiernan O'Tierney if they fail next July and we will still be behind them.

We don't appear to have any dynamic guys in there who are innovate, creative or ideas driven.

The idea you have mentioned would be more than capable of being adopted and working - but there just seems a lack of this kind of mindset from within the club.

Or as above those paying it get chances to meet the manager, win signed balls, etc etc.

Or as above those paying it get chances to meet the manager, win signed balls, etc etc.
Yes.

We need more initiatives to a) engage with fans and b) increase spend from punters which in turn can be rewarded with things like loyalty discounts/rewards now and again.

There are a whole load of things that could be done - but the board don't seem the types to drive them forward.

An ambitious, dynamic, aggressive Chief Executive is badly missing. Badly missing. Stewart Robertson in his role as MD is simply not the guy who can deliver such initiatives.

I know....we're at a crossroads. Without CL football we rely totally on Michael Jackson FC not getting in either and that's not sustainable. As it is they will sell Kiernan O'Tierney if they fail next July and we will still be behind them.

Agreed we need to find away to close the financial gap - outside investment being the obvious best option and Alfie being the most likely.

I just think the season ticket holders are being asked to put enough in and their contribution hasn’t been backed up with performances. There needs to be funding raised but it will probably need to come from outside of those 45k who blindly pay hundreds (plus a yearly uplift) every season.

There’s Rangers fans everywhere you go, surely there’s one or two with money to burn.

I know as well as anyone how much work the fans put in and how they were the '4th' bear, but these guys have put a lot on the line for what?
Getting criticised off of experts on FF that mostly have never even run their own business.
They have no idea of the hassles. Ask anyone who has run their own business
Save me the pompous shite... but ill entertain you...

so if my business was running shite in 2013 but a wee bit better 6 years later, that's okay because it was shite in 2013?

Get your finger our Rab, I get that you are going to back this board up but it's embarrassing how little you let fall on the board.

If we have fans with an extra £100 per year to help fund the Club then why not do it via Club 1872? They take your money, they buy shares at a share issue, the money goes to the Club and the fans shareholding increases. They also have the opportunity, via Club 1872, to do all the things you suggest.

It won't happen though.

Astounds

Just as an example, the idea you have mentioned would be more than capable of being adopted and working - but there just seems a lack of this kind of mindset from within the club.

I work in Marketing, and its an area of constant frustration at the lack of creativity and ideas on how we could generate additional income.

The membership card scheme would be hugely popular imo if we linked it to giveaways mentioned above - its not rocket science and for less than 2 quid a week, it would be a no brainer for many.

You could even have different tier levels, and accumulate points with more you spend on merchandise, RTV etc and get a reward at end (i.e. a hospitality)

Astounds

I work in Marketing, and its an area of constant frustration at the lack of creativity and ideas on how we could generate additional income.

The membership card scheme would be hugely popular imo if we linked it to giveaways mentioned above - its not rocket science and for less than 2 quid a week, it would be a no brainer for many.

You could even have different tier levels, and accumulate points with more you spend on merchandise, RTV etc and get a reward at end (i.e. a hospitality)
Spot on mate.

The sheer lack of initiatives coming from the board is so frustrating. As you say - there appears to be absolutely no creativity and out the box thinking. No ideas. No dynamism. It's not rocket science - and they'd only have to look at what some other clubs do if they need a bit of an idea.

In my opinion the club is engaging in those areas you speak about. Of particular interest to me is a point you have made before about leadership, or lack of, at the top of the club, and I think we agree on that, but that I think that's something a bit further off. I think such a person would need quite a degree of autonomy and perhaps the dynamics of the board doesn't allow for that right now. Personally, one day, I would like such a person to come from within the club, so who that should be is open to question. Historically the club has always done well with a strong figurehead, and that is where we do agree, albeit you want that now, and so do I but I don't think it's possible.

Hopefully more and more bears are seeing what we see, JCMK. Re 'the dynamics of the board' thing, I'd expect men who've been successful enough in their business lives to be able to save us to also be able to reach some kind of consensus that the good of the club they love takes precedence. If your own particular strengths aren't what's needed you need to accept that and then go out and get the best people for your company, your investment and ultimately your peace of mind. Every day we avoid facing this issue makes it more difficult to put right.

An ambitious, dynamic, aggressive Chief Executive is badly missing. Badly missing. Stewart Robertson in his role as MD is simply not the guy who can deliver such initiatives.

We need a Chief Exec who is Rangers daft, enthusiastic, has ideas, can implement them AND has track record of achieving a lot with limited resources.

We need a Chief Exec who is Rangers daft, enthusiastic, has ideas, can implement them AND has track record of achieving a lot with limited resources.
Rangers daft would be nice, but not absolutely essential. But, yes, a preference.

We need a capable Chief Exec who can come in and rip up the clubs current stagnant rule book and have a more dynamic attitude and outlook. Someone to regularly positively engage with the fans and who will implement strategies which help develop the brand, the proposition and innovative ways of increasing revenues from other areas, including the punters.

so if my business was running shite in 2013 but a wee bit better 6 years later, that's okay because it was shite in 2013?

Get your finger our Rab, I get that you are going to back this board up but it's embarrassing how little you let fall on the board.
What IS embarrassing is how little respect SOME of our fans have for the current board and what they have put into this club. Just IMAGINE what might have happened if King etc did not step up when they did.
You go try find a few million to invest in a loss making enterprise, see how easy it is. See how much crap you will put up with for NO RETURN.

Take all these comments re. transfers with a pinch of salt guys, why are they going to tell the world about, kent etc
Thats what I'm hoping hes not the finished article but if we can get Kent and improve his final ball/shot then we have a top top player at our disposal

Astounds

We can't get fans to spend a £1 a week on Lotto tickets. What makes you think a membership card scheme would be a rip-roaring success?

What IS embarrassing is how little respect SOME of our fans have for the current board and what they have put into this club. Just IMAGINE what might have happened if King etc did not step up when they did.
You go try find a few million to invest in a loss making enterprise, see how easy it is. See how much crap you will put up with for NO RETURN.

Show me one moment where I have been disrespectful then i'll take your post seriously.

We have a lot of 100% phukwits in our support, undeniably folk just can't behave these days and the probable consequences of TFB still being in control would mean were already a Hearts. No one whose opinion is worthy of any respect would undervalue or belittle King's achievements.
Re the loss-making enterprise, though. Does King not see that by meekly acquiescing and effectively condoning the attacks on us we are becoming an even less attractive investment? Prospering on and off the park is being made more unlikely with every unchallenged attack.

You call it pompous, I call it reality based on experience, we have had Copland Road for 7 years and will take another two years to get it completed to a stadard I think The Rangers fans deserve
Our Board took over a runaway disaster with everyone from the football authorities to Sports Direct having a kick at them.
Do I think they got everything right ? Off course I don't, but if they decide they have had enough abuse, then we are in real trouble

What kind of Business do you run ?

You call it pompous, I call it reality based on experience, we have had Copland Road for 7 years and will take another two years to get it completed to a stadard I think The Rangers fans deserve
Our Board took over a runaway disaster with everyone from the football authorities to Sports Direct having a kick at them.
Do I think they got everything right ? Off course I don't, but if they decide they have had enough abuse, then we are in real trouble
With all due respect, you are running a pub, the punters pay a few quid for a pint and are happy. The two are completely incomparible.

You can demand more from the board without abusing them, holding them accountable is not abuse. It's the right thing.

Do you actually know what the Board or our MD is thinking ?
you have still not told me how much they are worth

With all due respect, you are running a pub, the punters pay a few quid for a pint and are happy. The two are completely incomparible.

You can demand more from the board without abusing them, holding them accountable is not abuse. It's the right thing.
So what kind of Business do you run, with all due respect
Have you been in our Louden ?

The principle of business is the same, the happier the customer, the more of them you get

‘Holding them to account’ is entirely fair and appropriate. Endless cries for ‘more money’ is not. They’ve dug deep and continue to do so. They’ve put a lot of cash in, some of it bought them shares (which may never increase in value) and some is still outstanding as soft loans. If there’s investors out there waiting to put money in then I’ve no doubt the Board will welcome them. I’m not seeing a queue though.

I’ve said endlessly we need to manage our way out of this. Making the right managerial appointments and the right signings is part of that process. They’ve made some dodgy decisions in that respect and get deserved criticism for it. Let’s not doubt their commitment to getting it right though and their desire to get us back where we belong, it’s just taking a bit longer than we all want.

Latest posts

Back