Gerrard reaction

Should have played 2 up front today,it was st Johnstone at Ibrox not fckn Barcelona, he picks the tactics, slow build up, constantly passing it sideways and backwards,the buck stops will Gerrard.
aye looks like we are trying send opposition to sleep thought killie was bad today was inexcusable

Totally uninspiring watching standing with his hands in his pockets.
He should be screaming at some of these players.

He was mate, he was really angry when D.C blootered his shot miles over the bar and he strait away brought on Lafferty!o_O

W.A.T.P.

Gerrard's as pissed off as we are.

Wednesday night is now make or break for the entire season, thank God Morelos will be back.

My view as well. My only crib with Gerrard relates to our starting line up today. My own choice would have been to start with Lafferty up front and put Defoe onto the bench. We have missed the physical challenge that Alfredo gives us and Defoe does not give us that. Defoe is a good goalscorer but if I was a big centre half I would rather start the game facing him than Lafferty. I hope Gerrard gives the big guy the nod to start on Wednesday. Is Morelos not still suspended on Wednesday? I thought he got a 3 game ban.

My view as well. My only crib with Gerrard relates to our starting line up today. My own choice would have been to start with Lafferty up front and put Defoe onto the bench. We have missed the physical challenge that Alfredo gives us and Defoe does not give us that. Defoe is a good goalscorer but if I was a big centre half I would rather start the game facing him than Lafferty. I hope Gerrard gives the big guy the nod to start on Wednesday.
Agree with your thinking Jim, there was a big improvement when Laff came on, but I would've played the two of them from the start.

Edit... although having said that I guess neither was fully fit and your option might've been better.

Last edited:
He looks really bemused at what is going on with these players and their total lack of consistency.A word of advice Stevie.Alex Ferguson used to gather his players at the start of the season ,look everyone of them individually in the eye and ask them "are you up for it and How much do you want it"he said by their mannerisms and answers he could tell the ones he could trust and the ones who would let him down.Try it Stevie you could be in for a shock

It’s the same sort of interview every few weeks , it’s plainly obvious that the quality of player required isn’t there to win the league and it’s been the same for years ...let’s be honest here looking at what we have on the park that’s not what we want is it ?? It’s quality we want and that comes at a cost and unfortunately at present that’s a luxury we don’t have.

Not read whole thread.

Europe this season, whilst magical, has hurt and hinderded any domestic chance of success.

Next season we maybe will have to forego Europe and both cups, to concentrate on 38 league games to stop 9.

It's that simple/obvious.

My view as well. My only crib with Gerrard relates to our starting line up today. My own choice would have been to start with Lafferty up front and put Defoe onto the bench. We have missed the physical challenge that Alfredo gives us and Defoe does not give us that. Defoe is a good goalscorer but if I was a big centre half I would rather start the game facing him than Lafferty. I hope Gerrard gives the big guy the nod to start on Wednesday. Is Morelos not still suspended on Wednesday? I thought he got a 3 game ban.
Quite sure I read on here that Morelos will be available for the Killie game and for some unknown reason he will be banned for another game?

Anyone confirm?

Last summer I kept waiting for us to sign a midfield playmaker who controls the pace of a game.
I am still fucking waiting and so is the team.
We will win %^*& all unless we get a player like this in.

Whoever it is will have to have the quality and balls to play the first time 30 yard pass to the player in space that we can all see is on rather than the 10 yard piece of safe pish back to Goldson or Worral that we got for 90 minutes today.

Good point about no one driving on the team. I know that he has obvious limitations but always feel that more urgency is displayed when Halliday is on the park.

Halliday will not solve our problems mate he's not good enough. As long as he is getting a game for the first team we will win nothing. And I say that after watching Barasic have an absolute howler today.

Not read whole thread.

Europe this season, whilst magical, has hurt and hinderded any domestic chance of success.

Next season we maybe will have to forego Europe and both cups, to concentrate on 38 league games to stop 9.

It's that simple/obvious.

But we had a clear week of preparation this week and delivered that steaming turd of a performance today. So it's not necessarily the heavy workload that is the issue.

After every poor performance he talks about getting a reaction in the next games. Same pish, different game.

Talk is cheap. I honestly don’t see how its going to improve the rest of this season. Frankly the euro run bought him alot of leeway and has gone some way to papering over the cracks

Halliday will not solve our problems mate he's not good enough. As long as he is getting a game for the first team we will win nothing. And I say that after watching Barasic have an absolute howler today.
In December Halliday and Kent proved they can compliment each other perfectly. We should be trying things that work more, and that works.

The amount of people saying gerrard should learn his trade elsewhere before taking us on as a management role etc is ridiculous!

Yes he says the same things but %^*& me as a player you MUST take that on board!! Man the %^*& up and learn!! If a manager says things you listen!!

The only obvious thing so me is that dressing room has a big amount of shitebags and bottle merchants who don’t fucking accept that the mentality needed to be at Ibrox is that of the attitude of win at all costs! They have the jersey that millions would wish to have and the passion and desire needed is body, mind, blood, sweat and tears are required 24/7 to secure success!

We did not necessarily fail today because of tactics.

For example, if we had set up in the same formation/tactics with Messi, Ronaldinho and Batistuta we would have won.

But we don't have those players, tactically with those we do have it was terrible.

If players can't carry out a plan against st J then we don't deserve the league.

Perspective is needed. Success this season for us is 2nd with a final and EL qualification. We almost got the KO stages of the EL and are all but certain to get at least 2nd. Gerrard has done a good job this year. All the stats about being only 3pts ahead of last season don't take into account the extra 14 games or whatever it is we have played in Europe or that many of the other sides are better than the opposition in the league last year (see Killie and Hearts). Today was just a small dose of reality after some great individual results.
Some people need to take a reality check, look at the season we've had compared to last year, qualifying for Europe, beat Celtic finally, and still in Scottish cup, in reality we were never going to win the league this year, hopefully progress again next season.

Young manager in his first role at a huge club plays the game in a cautious manner and makes mistakes as he finds his feet.
Perhaps?

Patience patience patience!
Cautious in a must win game against st Johnstone at Ibrox, you must be having a laugh.

First and foremost I thought given time he would succeed. I’ve not changed my mind on that. I could be wrong as it’s not an appointment that can be compared elsewhere in football with the exception of Frank Lampard. However we need to remember just what Scottish football tried to do to our club. Quite simply finish us off for good.
We needed a name to put the club on a sure footing and with SG we definitely got that. His managerial and tactical ability is in a learning process. If we thought any different with his CV then we are fooled.
Finish 2nd and a Scottish cup final would still count as a first season success in most football clubs.
Of course we want more we crave more we demand more. It’s the Ranger way. The manager also demands this but the fact of the matter is our rebuilding process is still a work in progress.
We need to be patient , we need more investment in player quality and a plan to provide this.
Unfortunately there is no quick solution to all of this but we are Rangers. Keep the faith.

I didn't say he should be, but somehow perhaps he is.
We forget how new he is to this role.
Just think Gerrard should have played 2 up front today,we know how st Johnstone set up and our style of play is predictable against teams who defend deep,the constant naivety from the manager is a worry.

He calls it correctly but at some point calling it correctly without fixing it becomes tedious.

Exactly and unfortunately if things don't improve we all know what happens next.

I used to look forward to my twice weekly dose of SG's interviews, now however it seems each interview sounds the exact same and are becoming boring. My worry is that I may be running out of patience with SG and his staff and no longer see him as being the success I hoped and longed for.

The truth is we need more investment although we should be doing far better against some of the SPFL dross we can’t bridge the gap against the yahoos if they are paying £40m a year more in wages than us.

One of the worst things about going down the leagues was giving that shower a free run at potential CL money every season.

We need to find some way of getting investment into the club.

Him sitting watching the last minutes of the defeat at Rugby Park sum it up. Sitting back in the dugout with his arms folded. How he suddenly expects his players to turn up after 85 minutes of awfulness without motivation from the touchline is baffling.

Does he accept these terrible performances before the fulltime whistle or what?

He was a very passionate, vocal player. Now he just looks on as if he has no way of influencing the team.

What a load of shite.

Just out of curiosity what would you have done differently today.

For me it’s a player thing.....too many not able to play and be a ‘Rangers player’ in that of mentality as well as talent.

Today I would never have played Middleton, not his game with little to no space. I would have started Lafferty instead of Defoe (both ideally but obviously fitness was an issue) as he would have had more threat from crosses into box.

Our midfield against these sorts of teams doesn’t need sitting midfielders, we dominate possession so Kamara/Davis today with Candeias and Kent out wide......if you want McCrorie then play a 3-5-2 with McCrorie sitting in front of 2 centre halves when attacking but filling in when defending (playing against 1 up front).

Foderingham
Goldson Worrall
Tav Barasic
McCrorie (3rd Centre half/sitting midfielder)
Kamara Davis
Candeias Kent
Lafferty

Away to St Johnstone we were dire and got away with one. That was with morelos. The manager admitted himself that day, bringing on Lafferty changed the game.

It made sense to start with him today

Heard it all before.

Awful performance today. We've seen it far too often.

After 15 minutes today you could tell how the game was going
This for me is the issue , I agree fully, we are a team chasing a title with 5ok fans, and the players turn up for a kick about . No urgency , no fight , totally laclustre . No desire . Overpaid the lot of them .

Panty wetters are out in forceo_O
Panty wetters? A manager with a budget the size of ours in comparison to St Johnstone’s should be able to put a team out that can keep us in a title race, especially at home. So many dropped points against Mickey Mouse teams put together with buttons. My pants are worse than wet.

I hop
He is angry. Absolutely fuming in fact. He should be. However, I always think he gives a little too much away when he's this angry. With his body language you could tell he was holding back into the bargain! The players better hope he cools down a bit by Monday, but something tells me he won't.
I hope he and gary mackick cunts up and down auchenhowie

It's the players, we have seen the players are better than that, I wouldn't blame it on Steven Gerrard, it's down to the mentality of a number of those players who played with no urgency, Gerrard has every right to be raging at them.

It's the players, we have seen the players are better than that, I wouldn't blame it on Steven Gerrard, it's down to the mentality of a number of those players who played with no urgency, Gerrard has every right to be raging at them.

Bollocks. The buck stops with the manager, especially when the culprit is are predominantly players that he brought in, and his job to motivate them and to give them that bit of spark.

Totally uninspiring watching standing with his hands in his pockets.
He should be screaming at some of these players.

Exactly. Claims the players aren’t following the game plan set out in training during the week?

Do something about it then!! Murty was mocked for standing on the sidelines chewing his zip, Gerrard is just as bad standing there hands in his pockets.

A bit of instruction from the sidelines wouldn’t go amiss

Just out of curiosity what would you have done differently today.
I wouldn't have played two wide men in Kent & Candeias, putting over crosses when our lone forward (Defoe) is 5'7" and just over 10 stone. If we do want to play two wide men, then Defoe should not have been the lone striker. As much as he has limitations, an its definitely not like for like, Lafferty is more suited to the role

We desperately need a different game plan for when Morelos is not available. Consistently sticking with what has brought us success this season, Tight pressing of opponents when not in possession, and a quick passing game, keeping the ball going forward with pace when we do. Play through the middle as much as off the wing, and to the feet of Defoe (If he is the 1st choice to start) rather than constantly play balls from out wide where he (Defoe) has to jump or contest for it. (That's just not his game). Quick passes from midfield for Defoe to run on to, or accurate passes to his feet in the box, where his trickery will bring greater success is the way to play him imo

I guess if your'e trying to replace Morelos like for like, youre going to be disappointed, however Lafferty would seem a more sensible choice, but not necessarily one that will guarantee success. Lafferty doesnt have the muscle of Alfie to fight off defenders, and is more likely to be muscled off the ball himself than win it. His finishing is also more erratic (This season so far anyway), and that's saying something.

A 4-4-2 diamond might be the most obvious formation without Morelos, with the fullbacks, Tavernier & Barasic providing width. Something along the lines of:
McGregor
Tavernier, Goldson, Katic*, Barasic
(One of) Jack, Kamara, or McCrorie (as the defensive or holding midfielder)
Davis, Arfield playing either side of midfield (with McCrorie or Couliobally possibly taking one of these spots if form or injury dictates. Both are as capable as box to box midfielders as strictly defensive midfielders)
Kent (in an advanced free role behind the strikers, given license to roam)
Defoe, Lafferty (as strikers, with instructions to pass if they can clearly see a team mate is in a better position, rather than just have a crack themselves because it is in their nature)

*[I know the Worrall v Katric argument seems set to continue, as the gaffer clearly prefers the Englishman, and to be honest, there's not a big difference between them defensively. However Katic deserves to get a run for me if for no other reason than he brings a goal threat at set pieces]

Panty wetters? A manager with a budget the size of ours in comparison to St Johnstone’s should be able to put a team out that can keep us in a title race, especially at home. So many dropped points against Mickey Mouse teams put together with buttons. My pants are worse than wet.
Must be wringing after the 7 years we’ve had. It will take more than 10mil (give or take) to climb from the gutter to rise to the top again.

The scum have a turnover of over 100mil, they still struggle against the anti football clubs at times. They have more overall quality, hence the small gap in points.
It’s no surprise to me. We dont have the quality to beat 10 defenders.
Hopefully killie can do us a turn again today.

We're not good enough and have brought in 2 expensive duds. Defoe and Davis are clearly past it, and we are actually worse since we brought them here.

We had one good day against a scum side decimated by injury. We are still shite and they will utterly destroy us in the next OF. Not kidding myself about that. We will get 2nd, so the season is a marginal improvement, but I think we've spent a load of our resources doing that. Team needs a complete overhaul AGAIN.

CAN WE AFFORD IT?

Otherwise this is the future for years to come.

Must be wringing after the 7 years we’ve had. It will take more than 10mil (give or take) to climb from the gutter to rise to the top again.

The scum have a turnover of over 100mil, they still struggle against the anti football clubs at times. They have more overall quality, hence the small gap in points.
It’s no surprise to me. We dont have the quality to beat 10 defenders.
Hopefully killie can do us a turn again today.

Football has levels. They are shite at European level, but they are easily on a better level than us. Easily. Until we grasp the reality of the situation nothing will change. Still, you have to wonder what this season would have held if we had a different Stevie in charge - Clarke rather than Gerrard.

Pity he's a poet who hates us with a passion, and will be their next manager.

Worrall is the perfect example of a Gerrard player. The guys poor and puts in woeful performances but keeps getting chosen despite the threat of changes. All this while a player he spent £2M of our limited resources on is on the bench. What does this say about the player he signed permanently?

Stop threatening them because they know it's bollocks.

Last edited:
Back