Gerrard should get time, but not too much

McGregor, Tav, Goldson Barisic, Jack, Kamara, Arfield, Morelos, Candiaes are my starters, out of our players. Obviously Morelos will be gone but hopefully the money goes to 4 or 5 decent players.

- Beat Celtic.
- Got to the Europa League.
- Beat Rapid and draws with Villarreal.
- Comfortably second and still in the title race.

I’d say that’s a phenomenal return given where we were last year and the fact Gerrard has had very little to spend in that time.

- Knocked our of both cups by ABERDEEN
- 1 win in 6 matches v Aberdeen
- 0 wins in 3 v Hibs
- 2 wins in 5 v Kilmarnock
- 8 points adrift in the ‘title race’ in mid-March even as Celtic are trying their best to stumble over the line

Not quite “absolutely phenomenal” in my opinion.

Last edited:
This is my worry.

Our problem is keeping Gerrard - not getting rid of him.

He’s doing the best he can with the resources available. Our season has been absolutely phenomenal given budgetory constraints.

If we persist on bringing in nonsense like Jordan Jones and other SPFL level players then there’s a danger Gerrard will decide at the end of the season he’s taken us as far as he can. Then where do we stand?

We need serious investment. But more realistically, it’s clear we have to sell Morelos. We need to get £25m minimum for him. Reinvest at least £15m of that to buy a whole new strikeforcs, pair of wingers and a creative attacking midfielder. The rest can be used to bulk up the squad.

If we don’t do this and give Gerrard some serious backing then I don’t see how we entice him to stay.
Phenomenal? You must be on the windup. The season has been a failure. Europe was a chink of light but SG will be measured on domestic football. His team have performed poorly isn that respect.

A lot of posters on here were all shouting "Woo Woo" like fucking 5 year olds at a birthday party when Gerrard signed, whilst some of kept a cool head and expressed reservations.

How many of the very same excitable over grown kids are now shouting for him to leave, whilst once again more mature level headed fans can look at the bigger picture?

Overall Gerrard has actually exceeded my expectations of him when he joined us last summer and gave us some great nights in Europe as well as topping the league and absolutely destroying the tims in the last old firm game.

He's done that with an entire new team on a net spend of what was it £7M? He's also had to deal with some of the worst refereeing decisions we've ever seen, costing us so many games I've honestly lost count.

No he isn't Pep Guardiola and yes he is a rookie who has made mistakes, but he's done far better in 9 months than any of the previous imposters have done in the last 8 years so I think he's earned another year to get things right.

I personally have seen enough at this point.

Poor signings, poor tactics, poor organisation, poor substitutions and ultimately god awful results vs incredibly average opposition. Given the money he's spent, we are absolutely dreadful.

Time to get a proper experienced manager in who knows how to set up a team.

I had huge doubts over bringing in a rookie manager and all my fears are coming to fruition.He is not improving the players he has under his tenure,which is vital for the situation we are in.He is tactically naive,and he is failing to get reactions from his players when things are going wrong.I very much doubt he is the man to turn us round

If we had a manager who didn't have the stature of Gerrard, but had achieved exactly the same this season, the writting would be on the wall and the majority would want him out.
Things really need to drastically improve and lessons need to be learned.

maybe we should have insisted he signed on as a player /manager .even at his age ,probably better than some of the dross he signed.

I think he walks.
He has stated time and again the players are not good enough.
Trying to win the League on the cheap buying Dundee & Kilmarnock players is never going to work. Gerrard should know that, if he doesn't we are in trouble

When you say Dundee players i assume you mean Kamara and he is more than acceptable moving forward, the team should be built round a player like him.

Gerrard dues not learn from his mistakes. Same shit time after time. All the other managers know it, hence the abundance of bad results over the past four months.. Like Warburton 'do plan A better' he's been sussed. The OF game covered up the cracks, I fell for it too.

January window was dogshit. We haven’t improved really, fair enough the centre backs are marginally better, arfield flatters to decieve. Barasic, grezda, goldson, katic we spent money on, are any of them actually good enough?

That question is for Mark Allen.

If he gets another season which he obviously will and should, what if he fails and they get 9 iar? Do we stick or twist in a season of desperation?

It's a sobering experience to know that McInnes has Gerrard's number and has tactically outclassed him continually this season.

Derek f()cking McInnes.

Embarrassing.

We hear that "the board have backed Gerrard"

We bough 4 players. Yes, 4 players.

Net spend £5m. Yes £5m

4 free's and 7 loans. That's hardly great backing.

Moreos/Tav money is crucial. We cannot expect our manager to be scraping about with loans and frees again. And I can't imagine he'd be happy to continue to put up with that.

Two cup defeats to the Sheep is very demoralising. However, it is wrong to say Gerrard’s ‘name’ is keeping him in a job. As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, we have lost the same number of league games as the Dhims. We are being snookered by draws - that’s how fine the margins are. Turn some of those draws into wins and the picture is very different. It’s not that they are, as some claim, worse than last season - they are on exactly the same points as they had at this stage last season.

We cannot, and should not, go through this endless cycle of sacking the Manager, ripping up the team and starting over again every Summer. It will not work.

Two cup defeats to the Sheep is very demoralising. However, it is wrong to say Gerrard’s ‘name’ is keeping him in a job. As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, we have lost the same number of league games as the Dhims. We are being snookered by draws - that’s how fine the margins are. Turn some of those draws into wins and the picture is very different. It’s not that they are, as some claim, worse than last season - they are on exactly the same points as they had at this stage last season.

We cannot, and should not, go through this endless cycle of sacking the Manager, ripping up the team and starting over again every Summer. It will not work.

His name isn't keeping him in the job, but had this not been him and had been, say McInnes (who was linked) folk would be calling for his head, there's no doubt about that.

I agree we can't go through an endless cycle of Managers, but when you take a gamble and it doesn't appear to be working, how long do you give? (Incidentally I feel he should be given next season as well, but needs to win a trophy)

His name isn't keeping him in the job, but had this not been him and had been, say McInnes (who was linked) folk would be calling for his head, there's no doubt about that.

I agree we can't go through an endless cycle of Managers, but when you take a gamble and it doesn't appear to be working, how long do you give? (Incidentally I feel he should be given next season as well, but needs to win a trophy)

If it’s is demonstrably failing then you take action. I’ve highlighted the number of draws we’ve had that see us behind in the league. A single goal, a lucky break, a ‘good’ refereeing decision in maybe 4 of those games and things look very, very different. That’s how fragile the difference is between ‘success’ and ‘failure’.

I’d agree Gerrard should get next season, all of it, to see if he can turn those draws into wins. And find a way to beat the f*cking Sheep!

Goid post VB and I didn't realise that the scum were on the same number of points as this time last year, can you post a copy of this please?

You need to stop talking sense mate.

Didn't you know that bampottery is the new norm on this forum?

Goid post VB and I didn't realise that the scum were on the same number of points as this time last year, can you post a copy of this please?

Can't be arsed digging out the tables but its covered in this article from 2 days ago. I believe this is a 'disguised' Daily Record website (who knows why, but its virtually identical). They are on same points as last season after 29 games, we are just 1 point better off than same time last season.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/how-celtic-rangers-rest-top-15954496

EDIT: If you want it definitively, go to the link below. Select Scottish Premiership, change the season to 2017/2018, leave venue as 'all', change the date to 11/03/2018 and hit the 'Go' button. Handy wee site.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_full

Last edited:
Can't be arsed digging out the tables but its covered in this article from 2 days ago. I believe this is a 'disguised' Daily Record website (who knows why, but its virtually identical). They are on same points as last season after 29 games, we are just 1 point better off than same time last season.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/how-celtic-rangers-rest-top-15954496

EDIT: If you want it definitively, go to the link below. Select Scottish Premiership, change the season to 2017/2018, leave venue as 'all', change the date to 11/03/2018 and hit the 'Go' button. Handy wee site.

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_full
Cheers VB, I've bookmarked that footstats site.

We have employed a first time manager, we have improved, not enough, but you have to give him time our budget is pish compared to the tims.. Too many on here are looking for a quick fix, without 10 of millions being spent, it ain't happening in the short term,, changing the management puts us back again, let's hope he learns, I think he will, what he needs now is our support and the support of the board

Yes but don't forget that weve invested more money than the sheep, and they've put us out of two cups this season.?and out muscled us in most of the games weve played them.??

It’s difficult to keep the head after being knocked out of 2 cups by shite like Aberdeen, but I think a new Rangers manager should be given 2 seasons (barring Pedro level humiliations.)

Tonight is a really bitter pill though.

At least two seasons in my opinion,we the fans knew that we were bringing in an unexperienced manager and all and sundry, seemed happy about it..
So now were hearing some fans talking about wanting the guy out, come the end of the season.
What a load of cods wallop, given time S.G.will get this club back to the top where it belongs.if we keep believing in him and his staff. No Surrender.!!

At least two seasons in my opinion,we the fans knew that we were bringing in an unexperienced manager and all and sundry, seemed happy about it..
So now were hearing some fans talking about wanting the guy out, come the end of the season.
What a load of cods wallop, given time S.G.will get this club back to the top where it belongs.if we keep believing in him and his staff. No Surrender.!!
Agree, if we all just keep saying stuff like WATP and No Surrender loads then things will be fine. Well done mate.

Steven Gerrard doesn’t have a winning mentality? Get that idea right to f***. What utter nonsense.

He’s a rookie manager. Appointing him was a risk. He makes mistakes and in particular needs to learn how to mix up his formation and change things proactively during a game. There is an underlying tendency to go with the “do plan A better” approach. We know how that story ends. Gerrard needs to know when to change things and how to change things. I hope he learns this quickly as he will get away with it this season but not next. I have faith he will learn though and we need, at the very least, to support him for the duration of next season I’m not a fan of changing managers on a whim and thinks Gerrard deserves our support. He’s also taken a risk in taking on such a monumental job as his first in management. I intend to keep supporting him in it.

He gets the season. That is a fact.

He should also get another transfer window and then we should see an upturn for next season.

I was one of the people that was wary of appointing a rookie manager and thought FF was going over the top when Gerrard signed.

But now we're going over the top in the other direction. How can anyone say that a guy who has won the Champions League twice doesn't have a winning mentality. Especially as he single handedly dragged Liverpool from behind in quite a few key games.

His record as manager is rather mixed. We have improved in the league, he's won an Old Firm game and Europe was superb. Looking at budgets we probably should be coming second. But then looking at budgets we shouldn't be going out of the cup twice as Aberdeen.

I really wish we'd appointed McInnes instead of Pedro. It blows my mind when they are going for ten in a row that we've twice taken massive gambles with our managerial appointments.

But now we've appointed Gerrard I would rather stick with him than start again. He's at least showing some positive signs and I don't think there is anyone we could get that would be guaranteed to improve things straight away.

Arfield works hard and links up play reasonably well but couldnt score in a barrel of fannies!!! Never seen an "attacking mid" miss so many fuckin chances!!

We hear that "the board have backed Gerrard"

We bough 4 players. Yes, 4 players.

Net spend £5m. Yes £5m

4 free's and 7 loans. That's hardly great backing.

Moreos/Tav money is crucial. We cannot expect our manager to be scraping about with loans and frees again. And I can't imagine he'd be happy to continue to put up with that.
Still doesnt get away from the fact that should still get you a better win ratio than 1 win in 9 against hibs and aberdeen

It’s not the catastrophe that the other clowns have presided over the past two seasons. But by fúck it’s not acceptable either.

Watching the same gane against Aberdeen for the 87th time this season indicates an inability to learn. Or more worryingly, an inability to break down a McInnes side.

“We just need more money” is no longer a viable strategy. If we’ve spent this much and have a £20 million player up front and still can’t produce...

The cries of “we were cheated” on here are inevitable but it seems to be Gerrard gets another season end he’s not built much credit as things stand.

Vast improvement needed and I say that as someone who thinks he has as put us in a better position.

He has until the end of the season to give us some results to remember and another season to win things. This can’t go on.
Aye, let’s rip it up and start again!

He still has a mountain to climb this season. He has to play a few difficult games in the run in, 2 V the bheasts, its only the Rangers team that can stop us having to endure 2 title parties , and if the players dont turn up where does that leave us.

Perhaps any problems go deeper than the manager. My opinion is all the loan signings are his but Im dubious as to what say he has had in the transfers in apart from Goldson. Mark Allen also has to come under alot of scrutiny.

I think he walks.
He has stated time and again the players are not good enough.
Trying to win the League on the cheap buying Dundee & Kilmarnock players is never going to work. Gerrard should know that, if he doesn't we are in trouble
Steven Gerrard walking away from something? After everything he has achieved in his professional life ?

He's not learning from his mistakes, failure to get the players motivated, performances and results are garbage, predictability in every game, a lack of tactical clout, weak, naive, inept, lacking a plan b...

Another big game that we were second best and on the end of a negative result.

Being Steven Gerrard is saving him. Simply a poor football manager.
You changing your avatar then ?

I’m used to it.

He isn’t a winner. He’s won cups yeah but real winners, or “proper men” and Souness would day, stand the test of time over a season, when the chips are down and you have to churn out results week after week.

He didn’t do it as a player and he has yet to prove he can change and do it as a manager.

He didn't do it as a player?

Feck me gently.

Now, I'm quite happy to say I'm far from convinced at this first season with him in charge.

But basically you're saying a plodder the likes of, and you can name anyone you like from Leicester three years ago, achieved more in their careers than Gerrard?

He needs a bit of time, but he needs to learn from his mistakes and use subs earlier. I know it has been said to death on here, but it is getting ridiculous. I think 4-3-3 might work at Liverpool but it doesn't work with our players. This team is crying out to play 3-5-2. Defoe is a goal scoring machine for %^*& sake.

I’m used to it.

He isn’t a winner. He’s won cups yeah but real winners, or “proper men” and Souness would day, stand the test of time over a season, when the chips are down and you have to churn out results week after week.

He didn’t do it as a player and he has yet to prove he can change and do it as a manager.

This is where FF jumps the shark.

Irrespective of his managerial failings (in his first season!) to suggest he's not "a winner" is a nonsense. You don't get to that elite level of football for that amount of time without having a very specific mentality and belief.

Can I ask what you all expected of our first season back in the top league under Warburton? Cos that's basically where we started from this season, under someone with no managerial experience.

If people were genuinely expecting any more from this season than 2nd place and to start giving the filth a game and maybe beat them once or twice, then I'd like to know what that was based on?

Can I ask what you all expected of our first season back in the top league under Warburton? Cos that's basically where we started from this season, under someone with no managerial experience.

If people were genuinely expecting any more from this season than 2nd place and to start giving the filth a game and maybe beat them once or twice, then I'd like to know what that was based on?

People may have been expecting us not to be utter dung in both cup competitions.

Just a hunch.

Warburton left us 7 months in to the season. We made the league cup semi final under him and were still in the Scottish Cup when he left. Murty took us past Hamilton (which Warburton probably would have) and we were beaten in the semi finals by the bheggars.

Gerrard had better options than what Warburton did; McGregor, Goldson, Worrall, Tavernier, Jack, Arfield, Kamara, Candeias, Kent, Morelos...

Surely it's not too much to be asking to best Aberdeen in a cup competition. Three attempts and each one we spunked.

Warburton left us 7 months in to the season. We made the league cup semi final under him and were still in the Scottish Cup when he left. Murty took us past Hamilton (which Warburton probably would have) and we were beaten in the semi finals by the bheggars.

Gerrard had better options than what Warburton did; McGregor, Goldson, Worrall, Tavernier, Jack, Arfield, Kamara, Candeias, Kent, Morelos...

Surely it's not too much to be asking to best Aberdeen in a cup competition. Three attempts and each one we spunked.

I absolutely agree 1 win out of 5 against Aberdeen isn't good enough. Its something the manager needs to improve on next season. McInnes has clearly had the better of him this season.

Like McInnes, I've also been in my current career since 2007 and I'm also doing better and know more than the graduate lad who started last summer.

We've been suffering for 7 years now as supporters, which makes it hard for people to understand that this squad and this manager are only in year 1. I understand where the frustration comes from but people need to get real.

Back