Gerrard should get time, but not too much

I absolutely agree 1 win out of 5 against Aberdeen isn't good enough. Its something the manager needs to improve on next season. McInnes has clearly had the better of him this season.

Like McInnes, I've also been in my current career since 2007 and I'm also doing better and know more than the graduate lad who started last summer.
Does the graduate lad get £10million+ more budget than you to do the job?

I absolutely agree 1 win out of 5 against Aberdeen isn't good enough. Its something the manager needs to improve on next season. McInnes has clearly had the better of him this season.

Like McInnes, I've also been in my current career since 2007 and I'm also doing better and know more than the graduate lad who started last summer.
Does said graduate lad have a higher wage and about triple the resources you have to work with?

Does said graduate lad have a higher wage and about triple the resources you have to work with?

I'm sure if a bigger company came along and wanted to give him that he wouldn't say no.

And I'd still know more about the job than him.

There’s no question Gerrard will be given next season, as he should. On the playing side, the likes of McCrorie, Kamara, Rossiter (I think he’ll come good) a returning Murphy, a hopefully reinvigorated Middleton, Docherty (?), Grezda (??), Goldson, Katic, McGregor will provide a decent core and Morelos and Tav (I’m sorry, one too many embarrassments on the cv) will provide the cash for a hard as feck captain, a playmaker, a goal scorer and a shit hot full back. I sincerely hope.

We've been suffering for 7 years now as supporters, which makes it hard for people to understand that this squad and this manager are only in year 1. I understand where the frustration comes from but people need to get real.

is the rookie doing your job getting double or more of your wage?

We hear that "the board have backed Gerrard"

We bough 4 players. Yes, 4 players.

Net spend £5m. Yes £5m

4 free's and 7 loans. That's hardly great backing.

Moreos/Tav money is crucial. We cannot expect our manager to be scraping about with loans and frees again. And I can't imagine he'd be happy to continue to put up with that.

I don't believe that the Board have given him anywhere near the money required for the task asked of him. neither has he used the money spent wisely! Throw in panic loans like Defoe & Davis and alarms should be ringing
For me, the Boards lack of financial strength and a rookie manager is a double negative and not whats needed, its not going to change the equation we face
Gerrard has stated several times he needs better players. If he doesn't get them, a very difficult ask is impossible.

It’s not the catastrophe that the other clowns have presided over the past two seasons. But by fúck it’s not acceptable either.

Watching the same gane against Aberdeen for the 87th time this season indicates an inability to learn. Or more worryingly, an inability to break down a McInnes side.

“We just need more money” is no longer a viable strategy. If we’ve spent this much and have a £20 million player up front and still can’t produce...

The cries of “we were cheated” on here are inevitable but it seems to be Gerrard gets another season end he’s not built much credit as things stand.

Vast improvement needed and I say that as someone who thinks he has as put us in a better position.

He has until the end of the season to give us some results to remember and another season to win things. This can’t go on.

I agree with a lof this.He has made for me some major gaffes but that will happen with any rookie manager.It’s just the fact that it’s ‘us’ or ‘them’ it is highlighted more. Still it’s just the way it is in the Glasgow Goldfish bowl and Stevie G knows this!

Coming second continuously is not acceptable.

But after watching how easily Rodgers quit the ‘Glitterdome’ the last thing we need is SG feeling the same way and him going before we really know how good he is.

This time next season we will def have our answers……and until then he will always get my full support.

I was actually going to try and discuss this in another thread but decided it wasn’t worth the barrage of abuse I’d have gotten.

The biggest thing that worries me isn’t that he didn’t ever win a league.

The thing that stands out to me is that Rafa Benitez regularly moves him out of CM to the right hand side because he didn’t trust him tactically.

I just don’t think he’s one the ‘smart’ football people that knew when to kill a game or see it out. He was in his element when his team needed some inspiration in the form of a crunching tackle, a bursting run or a wonder goal from 40 yards out.

He wasn’t like a Xavi or a Scholes who knew there team were getting overrun and would keep possession and take the sting out of other teams.

Being a motivator can only get you so far in management. I don’t think he should be sacked but I really don’t see him being the one to get us back winning trophies.

Unless he makes improvement of winning a cup of league next season I don’t think he will see another summer:

This is not me attacking him but if we don’t improve our support will turn.

I cannot believe I am on the brink of seeing the mentally challengeds 3 trebles in a row.

No team especially in Scotland will ever ever do that again. Never mind ten in a row, the thought of that is destroying and if it does or doesn’t happen if we don’t push them and win something next season our support will not accept it.

It’s a very real possibility that lot could do it against a mid table championship side in Caley Thistle yet we’re to believe we’re expecting too much too soon to reach finals...

The biggest thing that worries me isn’t that he didn’t ever win a league.

The thing that stands out to me is that Rafa Benitez regularly moves him out of CM to the right hand side because he didn’t trust him tactically.

I just don’t think he’s one the ‘smart’ football people that knew when to kill a game or see it out. He was in his element when his team needed some inspiration in the form of a crunching tackle, a bursting run or a wonder goal from 40 yards out.

He wasn’t like a Xavi or a Scholes who knew there team were getting overrun and would keep possession and take the sting out of other teams.

Being a motivator can only get you so far in management. I don’t think he should be sacked but I really don’t see him being the one to get us back winning trophies.

It’s a valid concern. We’ve already seen ample evidence, standing on the touchline with the obvious changes not enforced until very late on, and there’s rarely ever tactical changes.

Interesting view.
Do European Cup winners not have a winning mentality?
I think you have to tip your hat off at anyone who can handle the relentless nature of winning over a league season. To deliver results, as an individual and as a team, over 38 games takes an incredibly amount of consistency and therefore you either forge a winners mentality or you already have it and apply week after week.

Cup competitions are a different beast. It can suit players and teams who can perform in one-off matches, and while it does require some form of winning mentality in tough moments. It's not neccesarily a key quality to achieve success in a cup.

Over a season, you simply need it or you won't achieve.

For me, this is just a personal opinion, a true winner is defined by how he achieves success over the course of a season. Players with league winners medals pouring out their pockets have my total respect.

Gerrard could have a winning mentality as a manager, he can hone it and develop it. However at the moment I don't think we have seen this. Again that is not to say he can't get there.

It’s not the catastrophe that the other clowns have presided over the past two seasons. But by fúck it’s not acceptable either.

Watching the same gane against Aberdeen for the 87th time this season indicates an inability to learn. Or more worryingly, an inability to break down a McInnes side.

“We just need more money” is no longer a viable strategy. If we’ve spent this much and have a £20 million player up front and still can’t produce...

The cries of “we were cheated” on here are inevitable but it seems to be Gerrard gets another season end he’s not built much credit as things stand.

Vast improvement needed and I say that as someone who thinks he has as put us in a better position.

He has until the end of the season to give us some results to remember and another season to win things. This can’t go on.
I despair, give the man the time and resource.

I think you have to tip your hat off at anyone who can handle the relentless nature of winning over a league season. To deliver results, as an individual and as a team, over 38 games takes an incredibly amount of consistency and therefore you either forge a winners mentality or you already have it and apply week after week.

Cup competitions are a different beast. It can suit players and teams who can perform in one-off matches, and while it does require some form of winning mentality in tough moments. It's not neccesarily a key quality to achieve success in a cup.

For me, this is just a personal opinion, a true winner is defined by how he achieves success over the course of a season. Players with league winners medals pouring out their pockets have my total respect.

Gerrard could have a winning mentality as a manager, he can hone it and develop it. However at the moment I don't think we have seen this. Again that is not to say he can't get there.
John Greig went from 64 to 75 without a league winners medal.
What does that say about him?

January window was dogshit. We haven’t improved really, fair enough the centre backs are marginally better, arfield flatters to decieve. Barasic, grezda, goldson, katic we spent money on, are any of them actually good enough?

Don’t think it was dogshit Defoe has scored when played , Davis was a good signing on paper and kamara has been class time will tell with jones and polster , could’ve done with another winger , attacking mid and centre back but we don’t have endless money

I believe he has a winning mentality but he has failed to instill it in the team.

Yes it has been a season of High's and Low's, and we can question SG about his tactics., but these player are the same who turned up for High profile European game's and and struggles with lesser teams from the spl.
The players need to find the consistency and change their approach, to games that seem less attractive. Their attitude has to change also.
To suggest the Manager has failed at this stage is ludicrous. EVERYONE was praising him when he brought in Lafferty, Davis and Defoe, Now he is being criticized for bringing in the same players who in my opinion, have done nothing to improve the team.
He needs time and HE will get it right.
Steven Gerard is the right Manager for our club. So lets support him when he needs us most.
NS.

Well I'm as scunnered as the next guy but that's is just a joke he doesn't have a winning mentality? Steven Gerrard? Absoloute nonsense!
It’s incredible.
Gerard’s not a winner, Dearie f**king me.
Winners drive teams on from 3 down in a Champs league final.

Walter Smith’s playing career can hardly be bracketed as that of a winner.

This forum is fu**ing mental

It’s incredible.
Gerard’s not a winner, Dearie f**king me.
Winners drive teams on from 3 down in a Champs league final.

Walter Smith’s playing career can hardly be bracketed as that of a winner.

This forum is fu**ing mental
That performance in the champions league final was the definition of a winner.
Some of the comments on here are just mental at times.

It seems we're moving into new territories to be snide about the manager.

Sure, query his decisions as a rookie manager in his debut season. Questioning his mentality as a player, though, really is a nonsense. As I mentioned previously, you don't reach that level of elite football for that amount of time without having a very specific mentality and self-belief.

His performances, honours and the respect of his contemporaries says it all. Keyboard wizards indeed...

If this was Murty or Pedro in charge we would be wanting him sacked.

Another season of utter mediocrity

For me, Gerrard has got this Xmas max or he can GTF.

We are sleepwalking into a poet 10IAR

Them getting ten in a row is highly likely to happen since they have the advantages of a better squad, more experience, more money to spend and an easier route to European football Not a palatable truth but thems the facts.

They have underperformed this season compared to the past few, had a lot of key players out injured for significant spells of time, and still just about had it sewn up come the start of March. That's how much better than us they are right now.

For the time being I'm not concerned about comparing us to them. As long as we are improving year on year im happy with that.

That means building a better squad gradually, identifying talented players and selling them on at a profit, bringing through a youth player here and there, qualifying for Europe when the draws ain't a nightmare, clearly establishing ourselves as levels above Aberdeen/Hearts/etc and starting to win domestic cups.

Do all that and we will be in a position to challenge for the title. But right now I'm more concerned with the all that part of it because that's where we are. If Gerard is improving us I'm happy. If he finishes 8 ahead in 2nd place then overall we have seen an improvement and the bar goes that wee bit higher next year. If he find a a way to finish 3rd them the way i look at him changes.

John Greig went from 64 to 75 without a league winners medal.
What does that say about him?

That he was competing in an era with the best Scottish teams in history, numerous sides capable of producing world class players and making an impact at the business end of European football.

Gerrard enjoys huge advantages over every team in the league bar one. Those advatanages need to make themselves pretty clear, pretty soon with regards to the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie if he's going to ever be capable of winning a league for us. Long as he improves us year on year im happy but we need to see demonstrative proof of that.

That he was competing in an era with the best Scottish teams in history, numerous sides capable of producing world class players and making an impact at the business end of European football.

Gerrard enjoys huge advantages over every team in the league bar one. Those advatanages need to make themselves pretty clear, pretty soon with regards to the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie if he's going to ever be capable of winning a league for us. Long as he improves us year on year im happy but we need to see demonstrative proof of that.
Numerous.
Between 64 and 75 there were two.

Talk of gerrard going are ridiculous to be honest.
He get until end of next season to properly judge.
People need to remember how utterly shambolic we were last season

That’ll be finishing second in the league, not third, and being less than twelve points behind the scum?

I know we are an impatient bunch, but the clamor for change is because of their quest for 9.

If this was season 4 or 5 I reckon we could be more level headed. Stopping 9 is a must and we are shitting ourselves that it could happen.

I say give him time.

There’s no question Gerrard will be given next season, as he should. On the playing side, the likes of McCrorie, Kamara, Rossiter (I think he’ll come good) a returning Murphy, a hopefully reinvigorated Middleton, Docherty (?), Grezda (??), Goldson, Katic, McGregor will provide a decent core and Morelos and Tav (I’m sorry, one too many embarrassments on the cv) will provide the cash for a hard as feck captain, a playmaker, a goal scorer and a shit hot full back. I sincerely hope.

That's a personal wish list and not addressing the problems.

Start with a goalkeeper for sure.

A centre forward, if Morelos stays and then fill in the blanks.

Numerous.
Between 64 and 75 there were two.

Celtic made European cup semis twice, a losing final appearance and won it. Thats 4 different seasons worth. Dundee fair city semi in 66 or 67. Killie another fair city semi. Celtic with two cup winners cup semis. Dunferminline made the cup wnners cup semis.

His Rangers side good enough to make the final in 67 and win it in 72. That's 9 Scottish sides who had European campaigns good enough to make a European semi or better he was up against. That's numerous for me.

Plus that's only half my point. The standard of player in Scotland was far higher then. World class players came through and went to England. That just doesn't happen any more.

Last edited:

@tazzabear

He hasn't finished second yet. That's what he needs to do, not what he's done. He has to finish a solidly ahead of the teams on a fifth or a tenth of his budget.

Celtic made European cup semis twice, a losing final appearance and won it. Thats 4 different seasons worth. Dundee fair city semi in 66 or 67. Killie another fair city semi. Celtic with two cup winners cup semis. Dunferminline made the cup wnners cup semis.

His Rangers side good enough to make the final in 67 and win it in 72. That's 9 Scottish sides who had European campaigns good enough to make a European semi or better he was up against. That's numerous for me.

Plus that's only half my point. The standard of player in Scotland was far higher then. World class players came through and went to England. That just doesn't happen any more.
Fair point in the record, I was only looking at winners, and that isn’t me trying to be smart.

He hasn't finished second yet. That's what he needs to do, not what he's done. He has to finish a solidly ahead of the teams on a fifth or a tenth of his budget.[/QUOTE]
Not sure I actually want to agree here.
Your argument almost makes second best as much as we can hope for, or certainly it would have to be acceptable.

Not sure I actually want to agree here.
Your argument almost makes second best as much as we can hope for, or certainly it would have to be acceptable.

Realistically we won't win the title. We have 4 tough games before the split. Celtic have 3 easy games against teams from the bottom 4 and the Old firm game at home. I think we will probably end up about the same points ahead of Aberdeen but further behind them.

Would say there's more chance of Aberdeen catching us for 2nd than us catching them for 1st. Sadly that's just how I see it considering the form of each team and the fixtures. Right now I still think we are seriously lacking title winning quality in every position bar keeper.

Realistically we won't win the title. We have 4 tough games before the split. Celtic have 3 easy games against teams from the bottom 4 and the Old firm game at home. I think we will probably end up about the same points ahead of Aberdeen but further behind them.

Would say there's more chance of Aberdeen catching us for 2nd than us catching them for 1st. Sadly that's just how I see it considering the form of each team and the fixtures. Right now I still think we are seriously lacking title winning quality in every position bar keeper.
Aberdeen’s form is a win against Rangers.
They lost recently at home to Hamilton.

I’m at a loss here with your projections.
Everything is so bloody negative.

Aberdeen’s form is a win against Rangers.
They lost recently at home to Hamilton.

I’m at a loss here with your projections.
Everything is so bloody negative.

I'm realistic. Celtic have dropped two points since the winter break. They won't drop 9 more than a highly unreliable rangers side, nowhere near it. Aberdeen have had by their standards four good results in their last 5.

I wish to %^*& that he bins the 433.At least try a 442 with 2 strikers for home games.He'll get another crack at it next season with better players hopefully.As of the now I'm really deflated at how this season has fizzled out.Too many meh players in that team and when Alfie goes he's half our team..

Back