Gerrard since joining Villa

Again so far behind in what sense? As someone else alluded to we’ve finished behind the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen under previous managers going back decades.

Given that we won the league by a landslide to get 55, you must really rate Postecoglu in a serious way given how quickly he took that scum side from being “so far behind” to champions….
Did you not go to the games, we had celtic players mocking us tieing scarfs on goalposts etc after achieving record results against us, that is how far behind we were.

Did you not go to the games, we had celtic players mocking us tieing scarfs on goalposts etc after achieving record results against us, that is how far behind we were.
Do you remember when we couldn’t buy a win against them under Eck and then Le Guen? And then Walter came in and made a few astute (free) signings and suddenly we were in business again? Does Walter not get he credit because he’s not a Liverpool legend? Point is a good manager can make a few changes and a world of difference, particularly when the previous one was an unmitigated disaster.

By the way I’m sure tying scarves to goalposts was before that era so you might be rewriting history again. And finally, again! Can you admit you’d have blamed the board either way? Can you also admit that I’ve given him credit for 55 and when you alleged that I wouldn’t, you were perpetuating a lie? Lastly, my point about fat Ange, what’s your retort there? Don’t just ignore these things, it’s cowardly; address it! You must really rate him for that turn around….

Do you remember when we couldn’t buy a win against them under Eck and then Le Guen? And then Walter came in and made a few astute (free) signings and suddenly we were in business again? Does Walter not get he credit because he’s not a Liverpool legend? Point is a good manager can make a few changes and a world of difference, particularly when the previous one was an unmitigated disaster.

By the way I’m sure tying scarves to goalposts was before that era so you might be rewriting history again. And finally, again! Can you admit you’d have blamed the board either way? Can you also admit that I’ve given him credit for 55 and when you alleged that I wouldn’t, you were perpetuating a lie? Lastly, my point about fat Ange, what’s your retort there? Don’t just ignore these things, it’s cowardly; address it! You must really rate him for that turn around….
As you know I've already stated that in no way am I trying to besmirch any of our legends achievements however I'm still awaiting on you showing where at any time in our history we were as far behind Celtic as where we were when Gerrard lead us to champions. I'm old enough to know that you'll struggle as we have never been that far behind m8.

You're not gonna like this but history will show Gerrard as potentially our greatest ever manager m8
GargantuanHeftyBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

As you know I've already stated that in no way am I trying to besmirch any of our legends achievements however I'm still awaiting on you showing where at any time in our history we were as far behind Celtic as where we were when Gerrard lead us to champions. I'm old enough to know that you'll struggle as we have never been that far behind m8.
I’m not accusing you of purposefully besmirching actual Rangers he legends, just stating that what your saying is insulting to them and what they achieved. Anyway, Walter went from 3rd to narrowly losing the league, a European final and two domestic trophies in the bag. Souness propelled us from 5th to 1st which is quite a leap regardless of having money to spend (how are Man Utd doing after spending billions btw?). And what’s worse is this question was already answered by someone else.

So are you going to address my previous points (to reiterate them just in case you’ve forgotten: points RE Ranieri, fat Ange, the lie of me not giving Gerrard credit for 55, and you blaming the board because you value Gerrard more than them), or carry on ignoring them because you know full well I’ve got you snookered here? At least have the stones to address it mate. The fact your statement is being ridiculed by posters who are still very much on Gerrard’s side should be an eye opener for you.

I’m not accusing you of purposefully besmirching actual Rangers he legends, just stating that what your saying is insulting to them and what they achieved. Anyway, Walter went from 3rd to narrowly losing the league, a European final and two domestic trophies in the bag. Souness propelled us from 5th to 1st which is quite a leap regardless of having money to spend (how are Man Utd doing after spending billions btw?). And what’s worse is this question was already answered by someone else.

So are you going to address my previous points (to reiterate them just in case you’ve forgotten: points RE Ranieri, fat Ange, the lie of me not giving Gerrard credit for 55, and you blaming the board because you value Gerrard more than them), or carry on ignoring them because you know full well I’ve got you snookered here? At least have the stones to address it mate. The fact your statement is being ridiculed by posters who are still very much on Gerrard’s side should be an eye opener for you.
OK now I'm listening what manager in our entire history has taken us from being so far behind to making us champions they way Gerrard did is remotely close?

OK now I'm listening what manager in our entire history has taken us from being so far behind to making us champions they way Gerrard did is remotely close?
I’ve literally just answered the question. You clearly lack the stones to debate this properly and address the points I made though so I’ll leave you here to bask in the ridicule that’s coming your way from all directions, not just me.

Does that mean you can't think of anyone?
A proper Walter Mitty. You get an answer and choose to ignore it and keep saying “so you’re not going to tell me?”

It’s like you’re really living in a fantasy world where you see what you want to see. You’d be better heading to Red White and Kop and the Villa equivalent, this place is for Rangers fans.

I’ve literally just answered the question. You clearly lack the stones to debate this properly and address the points I made though so I’ll leave you here to bask in the ridicule that’s coming your way from all directions, not just me.
So you can't think of anyone either?

I’m a Gerrard fan and will be forever grateful but based on your logic surely souness should be up there as he won more during his spell
Souness was fantastic as was Smith but none took us from being as far behind as Gerrard did to put us back on top.

Does that mean you know of a manager that achieved what Gerrard did from being so far behind or dies it mean you can't think of anyone so will just throw an insult

I mean basic maths and logic will tell you that going from 5th to 1st is better than going from 3rd to 2nd, then to 2nd again, and then finally to 1st. And going from 3rd to 2nd, two trophies and a Euro final trumps going from 3rd to 2nd, no Euro final and no trophies.

There’s a reason you’re being flogged here.

Where were we when souness took over?
We hadn’t won the league in 11 years,however we hadn’t been playing in the lowest division prior to him taking over, we certainly were not on the end of 5 nil defeats in old firm games

We hadn’t won the league in 11 years,however we hadn’t been playing in the lowest division prior to him taking over, we certainly were not on the end of 5 nil defeats in old firm games
By the way Gerrard wasn’t managing us in the lower leagues. Just a small detail there that you’re omitting. You’ve gotten your answer several times now. And what does us having been in the lower leagues matter when he started coaching us from a 3rd place SPL finish? Same as Walter did, and that’s not even as bad as what Souness walked into.

I mean honestly, there’s no way you’re being honest about your age here. I refuse to believe you’re older than me.

So of your top 5 who took us from being as far behind Celtic to champions as Gerrard did, I'm genuinely interested.
I mean you didn’t say that to begin with? We were poor when Souness took over, poor before Wallace won the title in 75 albeit we’ve never been as far behind Celtic due to circumstances but you’ve totally changed it from potentially being the greatest to how far behind Celtic we were.

So you can't think of anyone either?

I think you are overstating things in a wider sense and losing what is a very important point.

A large % of our support simply couldn't/wouldn't accept the gap between us and them. As such the scale of SG's achievement gets lost.

Saying he is our greatest ever manager isn't helping you.

I find it sad and depressing that some of our support don't wish him all the best and want him to succeed.

Gerrard didn’t bring us back up to the premiership

Souness was fantastic but seriously were we suffering record defeats again Celtic prior to his arrival.
Is that the only argument you have? Do you not take into account longevity, cup records, reaching European finals etc etc? You're obsessed with scarfs being tied around a goalpost by a wee ned and a few humpings from Celtic.

If SG got Souness budget in relative terms he'd have probably won the league in his first season.

The whole comparison thing is daft.
Football doesn’t work that way though. Callum Davidson did better in him in cup completions despite Gerrard having an infinitely bigger budget, even though you’d have expected it to be the opposite.

Is that the only argument you have? Do you not take into account longevity, cup records, reaching European finals etc etc? You're obsessed with scarfs being tied around a goalpost by a wee ned and a few humpings from Celtic.
I take into account how far behind we were
I take in to account punching well above our weight in Europe
I take into account profits made on player sales.
Some will not like it but when history looks back on Gerrard's tenure as manager it'll be very positive.

Football doesn’t work that way though. Callum Davidson did better in him in cup completions despite Gerrard having an infinitely bigger budget, even though you’d have expected it to be the opposite.
That's true however Gerrard won the trophy that was far more important than any other domestically.

Least we pumped them after the 6-2 just a pity about the season as a whole :))
%^*& yeah! Plus I’ll always maintain that the 6-2 score line really didn’t reflect the actual performances of both sides.

But with the way the head of the SG loyal is going on over there you’d think we’d never suffered a heavy OF defeat until Waburton and Pedro walked through the door.

I take into account how far behind we were
I take in to account punching well above our weight in Europe
I take into account profits made on player sales.
Some will not like it but when history looks back on Gerrard's tenure as manager it'll be very positive.

When history books look back on our managers careers they will not see any of that though. What they will see is the length of tenure and trophy count.

Its up to us to remember it was an important league he won, how he changed our standing in Europe.

That's true however Gerrard won the trophy that was far more important than any other domestically.
If Callum Davidson had pipped us to the league title you’d have still been advocating another season for Gerrard. It’s good that he was able to finish above St Johnstone in the league though.

Souness was fantastic but seriously were we suffering record defeats again Celtic prior to his arrival.
In 85-86 we finished 5th, 15 points behind Celtc (2 points for a win, so the equivalent of 22 points behind them now), with Hearts(also 15 points ahead ofbus(, Dundee Utd (12 points ahead) and Aberdeen (9 points ahead).

In his first season Souness won us the league by 6 points.

In the season prior to Gerrard's arriving we finished in 3rd, 12 points behind Celtc and 3 points behind Aberdeen.
In his first season, we finished 2nd, 9 points behind Celtc.

In what way is that better than what Souness did?

%^*& yeah! Plus I’ll always maintain that the 6-2 score line really didn’t reflect the actual performances of both sides.

But with the way the head of the SG loyal is going on over there you’d think we’d never suffered a heavy OF defeat until Waburton and Pedro walked through the door.
I’m sure Wallace had a goal chopped off at 3-1 iirc not a game I tend to recall to be fair though

What about Wallace who ended their 10 in a row, same as Gerrard? Souness ended a period of 11 years without a championship win.

I dont want to use this is as an argument, because it doesnt tell the full story, but what else did he win? He got us to one cup final, even Warburton done that.

Back