Gerrard since joining Villa

He will never manage Liverpool
That's the thing . He probably could have gone from us to Liverpool if he'd stayed and won a few titles. He checked out at the end of the season, probably for family reasons, and it's now looking less likely he'll ever manage Liverpool.

Still, he brought back to our great club the standards needed to compete at the top. Just bugs me the way he left

People seem to forget the very last old firm before he became manager was 5 0 going on 10, genuinely should have been double figures in that game.

He left at a horrible time and yes he should have won more with us but let's not forget the complete state our squad was in when he took over.

Last edited:
Never a Rangers manager, he's found his level where he's at right now, and if he manages to exceed from what Aston Villa have been doing so far there then he'll be doing well. No hard feelings, and hopefully he does do well at his club, but had he been a really good manager we'd have won the League sooner, and a cup or two.

First game away to a promoted side is always going to be a tough one, seems they were pretty dreadful though. Obviously first home game is huge is it Everton that wont be easy they looked ok in attack few times they broke, Nathan Patterson where did he come from that lads dangerous.

I think he knows hes not getting that Liverpool job and is starting to lose interest, never looks as though hes enjoying mangement down south.

Never slag the guy, if Villa fans are saying he struggles to change games and only plays one way it wouldnt be a surprise.

Tough league down there, Chelsea very good side this season and Spurs, Arsenal possibly too, plan was obviously to take Villa to that sort of level and compete for CL its just not gonna happen. I expect to see him back with BT soon think he could well be next England manager(pressure but really part time) doubt he will move to smaller side in the same league or bother with the championship.

Going by the comments I've seen on twitter he isn't exactly popular with the fans. A bad start to the season and he could be in trouble. If he fails at villa I'm not sure where he goes from there.
That’s the other thing. He needed to be a rip roaring success at Villa to stand any chance of being in contention for the Liverpool job he covets.

If he doesn’t achieve that in Birmingham, chances are he’ll never get near the job at Anfield.

If Villa bin him - and it needs to be stressed that it’s only the first game of the season; there’s still plenty of time for him to turn it around - chances are he’ll find himself on the ever decreasing managerial merry-go-round or end up back in America managing LA Galaxy or someone.

He’s not daft though. I’m sure he would have been aware of all that when he made his decision to leave us.

Must have spent some decent money as well.

What’s success for villa though, top 10 and a cup run?
Must be more than that. When he joined them all we read about was how massive they were.
A tiny team, I don't even remember their 90's cup wins or their most recent play off championship.

Aston Villa simply can't face being relegated, it would be financial suicide. If that's even remotely a possibility, he will be replaced.

He brought the best out of our players turned us into winners he will do a decent job for Villa will they win the league no but that was never going to happen being realistic mid table half decant cup run

To me that sounds about right for Aston Villa though?
Just using a quick look ak Wikipedia the last 10 years and 7 managers have been:

Lambert 30%
Sherwood 36%
Garde 13%
Matteo 8%
Bruce 45%
Smith 41%
Gerrard 38%

None on the list have over 50%

Given he's just in the job its too early to tell if he can up his record a bit by 8% or so to be their best manager in a decade.

Saw a good few complaints from their fans on Twitter last night about the whole Mings situation

He got us our title back, restored our pride in Europe so I do want him to be successful despite the way he left. However, I didn’t think he was ready for the EPL. He needed some cups and another title

I think he won’t make the World Cup break. I think losing Beale has really fucked him. Yesterday his team looked out of sorts, unorganised and no hunger. If I was an AV fan that would deeply concern me. Bournemouth spent something like 8m, AV close to 100m

Villa were hardly a top class side when he came in and he's not been there too long.

But the modern game doesn't give managers time.

Hope he turns it around but the one Villa fan I know really doesn't like him.

He’ll be gone in time to take a seat on the BBC couch for the World Cup.

I take no pleasure in saying that. He gave us respectability in Europe, we won so many games under him, and of course he gave us 55.

People forget how bad we were when he took over. We were nowhere near them to the extent they were laughing at us.

Gerrard made Rangers to be Rangers again.

For that I thank him and wish him well at Villa.

Never a Rangers manager,
That is really harsh. He stopped the molesters getting 10 and made us very credible in Europe again which ended in our run to the euro final last season. He also left us ahead in the league when he left which we subsequently ballsed up. He was exactly what we needed at the time. I wish him all the best and hope he turns it around at villa. Without Gerrard they would be sitting on 11 in a row. Doesn’t bear thinking about.

I read somewhere that he has a worse win percentage than Lampard has at Everton.
Read a similar stay last season but on looking into it it included cup games. When it was league games only, so against a similar level of opposition, Gerrard’s record was better.

Some of the comments on here...wow.

We were a basket case of a club prior to his arrival. He, along with his team, got us 55 and some huge, huge results in Europe and some important finance from these runs. A horrific record in the cups that is to his detriment but he was great for us. Gutted he left but we move on.

I hope he turns it round at Villa and ends up getting his move to the club he loves but that seems a tall order and at the time of him leaving, I thought it was a huge risk going to Villa. If he messes that up then the Liverpool gig is gone forever.

It took him 3 seasons to win the league here. He was never turning things around in less than 1 there, but EPL has very little patience for building something

Plus points are we got £4.5 million for him , we broke their 10 in a row.
We then built a foundation that wasnt there before , although every new manager will change that to an extent.
Should have won a cup or 2.
Downside is some of the signings were shocking, grezda, itten, barker to name a few.
The way he left as well.
So all in all, i would say he was a was a 4 out of 10.

Never a Rangers manager, he's found his level where he's at right now, and if he manages to exceed from what Aston Villa have been doing so far there then he'll be doing well. No hard feelings, and hopefully he does do well at his club, but had he been a really good manager we'd have won the League sooner, and a cup or two.
He was a rangers managers and delivered an unbeaten league season, what's your point caller?

Stats can be twisted any way you want to put a spin on things.

Apparently Villa were 8th in the EPL points table from when he took over last season until the end of the season. That's a decent job by anyone's standards going in when he did imo.

7th - 8th is as good as they could possibly expect to do short term, they aren't getting into the Top 6 ahead of one of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man Utd nor should they be expected to.

Considering the level we were at when he joined, compared to when he left, I find this a mental point of view.

We weren’t challenging Celtic at all before Gerrard, we were challenging Aberdeen, he restored our pride, made us winners and generally raised the standards all around the club.

He gave us 55, an invincible season, had a cracking record against Celtic and did it while spending less money than them.

Mcallister justs looks like a guy thats there to get out of the house and get a wage.
He wont have a lot of ambition now.
SG talks a good story and now rely s on his playing days rather than at present.

Steven Gerrard is a Rangers hero and a legendary manager.
He transformed the club and was the catalyst to Rangers emerging from the shadows of The Filth and he made us a force in Europe almost from the get-go.
He also helped the Board stabilise the club financially through his dealings in the transfer market.

I am often astonished that anyone from the Rangers family would have a bad word to say about him.
He will always be a Rangers legend, he is an amazing part of our history and I cannot wish him anything but the very best in his future as a person and as a football man.
I will remain eternally grateful to him.

Stats can be twisted any way you want to put a spin on things.

Apparently Villa were 8th in the EPL points table from when he took over last season until the end of the season. That's a decent job by anyone's standards going in when he did imo.

7th - 8th is as good as they could possibly expect to do short term, they aren't getting into the Top 6 ahead of one of City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man Utd nor should they be expected to.
Theres always going to be 6 or so in front of villa, best they can hope for is a cup or europa place imo.
And to be honest they arent really a FA cup / League cup type of team.

Theres always going to be 6 or so in front of villa, best they can hope for is a cup or europa place imo.
And to be honest they arent really a FA cup / League cup type of team.

Exactly. It's getting tedious seeing threads and comments every time Villa drop points. He's gone, he done brilliant for us but he's in the past now. Time to move on.

You can't argue with his stats / record at AV so far -
Whatever way you read it - it's pretty average at best - & piss poor considering the cost of his signings

FWIW though - & IMO - I still think he'll come good eventually - always assuming AV's board allow him the time

You can't argue with his stats / record at AV so far -
Whatever way you read it - it's pretty average at best - & piss poor considering the cost of his signings

FWIW though - & IMO - I still think he'll come good eventually - always assuming AV's board allow him the time
I would say it’s about par for the course for a club like Villa tbh

Steven Gerrard is a Rangers hero and a legendary manager.
He transformed the club and was the catalyst to Rangers emerging from the shadows of The Filth and he made us a force in Europe almost from the get-go.
He also helped the Board stabilise the club financially through his dealings in the transfer market.

I am often astonished that anyone from the Rangers family would have a bad word to say about him.
He will always be a Rangers legend, he is an amazing part of our history and I cannot wish him anything but the very best in his future as a person and as a football man.
I will remain eternally grateful to him.
Me too

I wish him well but Villa was an odd choice of a club.
Great history and an important club but currently landed firmly in bottom-to-middle of the table territory and best chance of any glory is a cup run.

Gerrard gave up title runs & European football for that. And possibly with it the chance to make the jump to Liverpool one day.

Load of pish mate.

Gerrard was a Rangers manager and was an important part of our history & gave us moments we will never forget. Be mad at him for how he left all you want and call him every name under the sun for it but let's not disrespect what he done for us either. He took on a job with one goal, winning the league and stopping their "10", a job many experienced managers would have shy'd away from and he done it in remarkable fashion going unbeaten.

To the latter your forgetting we lost a cup final because their goal had 3 players offside and somehow was allowed. He could have done better with cups but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Back