Gerrard since joining Villa

It took him 3 seasons to win the league here. He was never turning things around in less than 1 there, but EPL has very little patience for building something
That’s it - the owners will want to see progress. They’re ambitious. They’ve spent a lot of money and Villa aren’t buying guys like Coutinho just to cement mid table finishes.

I imagine the set of objectives Gerrard would have been given when he arrived in October was: last season - get them into the top half of the table; this season - have them challenge for a European place; next season - have them challenge for a CL place.

So far, he’s falling short. If he doesn’t have them on track for objective no.2 by the end of the year, that could easily be it for him.

It’s an average record at an average club.

Was always a strange move for a man who made his name as a player and manager instilling a winning mentality at two genuinely big clubs.

Below average.

They'll sack him eventually.

You know, the funny thing? If he'd stayed at Rangers and kept doing well for another two years until 2024.

I reckon he goes right from Rangers to Liverpool.

But now? Well he's shown his future employers he can't do it in this league after all.

That’s the other thing. He needed to be a rip roaring success at Villa to stand any chance of being in contention for the Liverpool job he covets.

If he doesn’t achieve that in Birmingham, chances are he’ll never get near the job at Anfield.

If Villa bin him - and it needs to be stressed that it’s only the first game of the season; there’s still plenty of time for him to turn it around - chances are he’ll find himself on the ever decreasing managerial merry-go-round or end up back in America managing LA Galaxy or someone.

He’s not daft though. I’m sure he would have been aware of all that when he made his decision to leave us.
I think he’s not daft but he is emotional at times.

He left us at the wrong time for the wrong club.

I had a read of their forum last night and can’t say I saw many supporting him even on here you get some supporting the manager.

I would say it’s about par for the course for a club like Villa tbh

Yeah that's probably true
Obviously the competition at mid table in that league is fierce & ambitions for the clubs outside of the top 6 have to be realistic

I just don't think his signings have improved them much - despite the money spent - & I'm not sure they're going to be any better anytime soon
A couple of wins against more fancied opposition could change everything for at least a short while though

Longer term I can see him eventually turning it around - but boards of clubs in the mid table of that league rarely think long term IMO

The Villa fans I work with were never really convinced he was the right person so I don't think it will take much for them to turn against him.

Yeah that's probably true
Obviously the competition at mid table in that league is fierce & ambitions for the clubs outside of the top 6 have to be realistic

I just don't think his signings have improved them much - despite the money spent - & I'm not sure they're going to be any better anytime soon
A couple of wins against more fancied opposition could change everything for at least a short while though

Longer term I can see him eventually turning it around - but boards of clubs in the mid table of that league rarely think long term IMO
Just look at Everton for example. You can spend £400m over a few years in that league and go backwards rapidly.

What gets spent down there on fairly average footballers is staggering.

What annoys me is we have him the platform to become a great manager. He always spoke well and demanded loyalty for the club from his players. Playing to the demands of the club. He delivered 55 and we can be eternally grateful for that. Is now obviously MB was the tactician. However under pressure he had his frailties. He’s lost him tactician and he needs to produce in a league of managers under fire. Time will tell if he can do this.

He's not going to make it as a manager.

He was part of a successful team here. If he can’t recreate that then I don’t think so either.

He delivered us 55 and we are all grateful for that but out with that there was plenty of occasions on here when people thought he should go. And then when he did, he treated us with utter contempt. We all seem to be looking back with tinted glasses on.

We should always truly appreciate what him and his team did for us.
I couldn’t understand him leaving the greatest for Villa. But I honestly think it was not a Rangers v Villa decision. It was Scotland v England. What I mean is the dire state of Scottish football week in week our and the rampant corruption were in his decision making. Maybe one day he will speak about that…

Anyway dont think he will last long at Villa. Especially without Beale. Gary Mac doesn’t seem to make a great contribution.

You can see how this will pan out a few defeats in a row hovering low mid table,sacked by Xmas as there fans start calling for his head.
Working as a pundit for sky next year :)

Load of pish mate.

Gerrard was a Rangers manager and was an important part of our history & gave us moments we will never forget. Be mad at him for how he left all you want and call him every name under the sun for it but let's not disrespect what he done for us either. He took on a job with one goal, winning the league and stopping their "10", a job many experienced managers would have shy'd away from and he done it in remarkable fashion going unbeaten.

To the latter your forgetting we lost a cup final because their goal had 3 players offside and somehow was allowed. He could have done better with cups but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.
Why would I be mad at him, subsequent to him leaving I experienced one of the best seasons as a Rangers fan; if I regret anything it's that he didn't leave last summer, which may have allowed a new manager more time. My mere observation is that post Christmas, on two occasions, Rangers under Gerrard had the initiative to win the league, and failed to so do; even Arfield I think it was felt we should have won the League two years earlier. Merely my opinion, Gerrard isn't a top manager.

It's spiralling.

Spent £74,000,000 since the start of the year, recouped about half that in player sales, had a public spat with his captain then demoted him for reasons unknown and then losing to a newly promoted side without any sort of fight in them.

The spending a lot of money and still having fairly poor form can be overcome, throwing his captain under the bus publicly and still losing is indicative of a much wider problem that can't be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a freshly sacked ITV pundit at the World Cup.

Last 4 seasons they finished 14th 11th 17th and 20th, success for them is staying in the EPL and maybe a cup run.

It's a hard league to manage in, he's not got the same advantages up here financially. Down there Villa can spend £100m but so can nearly every other team.

Might be our next manager.
Hopefully so as he certainly put Celtic firmly in their place. We've made millions of pounds due to him giving Patterson his chance and selling for a massive profit, signing Bassey and Aribo and us selling for a massive profit. I honestly believe if the board had backed him after we became champions we'd have won the league and went straight into the champions league.

You know things have turned ugly when John McGinn is the captain.

He had enough gravitas to make a real impact on our players and as many have said Beale was a massive part of that team.

I’m not sure he’s really anything special in the long run.

His best chance of the Liverpool job was to win 2 or 3 leagues in a row with us but he chucked it after Malmo

I partly agree but I reckon he should have done more time up here before taking a job like Villa. Not a chance he moves straight into the Liverpool job from here with success.

Can't believe this thread. Gerrard and Rangers were a perfect mix. A sleeping giant and a world famous footballer in his first big role.
It worked very well on a relative shoestring compared to the tims expenditure . Gerrard bought into the club but it was no secret he'd go to the prem.
Our European runs will become stuff of legend, we have punched a over our weight because of Gerrard. Yes, domestic cups were a weakness. Yes he should have won another league. How anyone can wish him ill as a Rangers fan is beyond me.
Weirdos that do it bud.

Never a Rangers manager, he's found his level where he's at right now, and if he manages to exceed from what Aston Villa have been doing so far there then he'll be doing well. No hard feelings, and hopefully he does do well at his club, but had he been a really good manager we'd have won the League sooner, and a cup or two.

Nah, Gerrard is the quintessential Rangers manager, much like Lennon is for them.

Well respected in the game / stamped on the head
Leads by example / filmed out on the bevvy regularly
Can be stern but also charismatic / constant meltdowns and tantrums
Takes responsibility for himself / always the victim

Nah, Gerrard is the quintessential Rangers manager, much like Lennon is for them.

Well respected in the game / stamped on the head
Leads by example / filmed out on the bevvy regularly
Can be stern but also charismatic / constant meltdowns and tantrums
Takes responsibility for himself / always the victim
Quintessential Rangers manager: Jock Wallace/Walter Smith.

I partly agree but I reckon he should have done more time up here before taking a job like Villa. Not a chance he moves straight into the Liverpool job from here with success.
Remember that teams quite often appoint managers in less than ideal circumstances.

Maybe with 6 months to plan a replacement Liverpool wouldn’t go for him straight from Rangers.

But if they were 6th in the league in November and had to sack someone they might not have as many options. There have been more ridiculous appointments at big clubs.

Now he wouldn’t get the job in any circumstances

I think he’s not daft but he is emotional at times.

He left us at the wrong time for the wrong club.

I had a read of their forum last night and can’t say I saw many supporting him even on here you get some supporting the manager.
We still don’t know the real reasons for his departure. It was probably a combination of things - feeling he’d taken us as far as he could, being away from his family for so long and having the chance to manage an historically big club in the EPL.

I didn’t really blame him for leaving. I did and still do feel like there was an element of him having taken us as far as he could. He was great for us, an inspirational figure who gave us back our respect and stature, but he had his limitations.

I don’t think we would have reached the Europa League final if he’d stayed for instance. I think he’s too tactically inflexible for that and it may very well prove his undoing at Villa and elsewhere.

As with Souness before him however, he’ll always remain a legend in my eyes.

He will be forever trying to get back here after being sacked at Villa.

Can’t believe how quickly he went from highly ambitious and hungry to spitting the dummy and derailing the clubs much needed goals.

It was a losers mentality tbh, there’s voicing you’re unhappy with the budget and there’s using it as an excuse to completely %^*& up any chance we reach our targets and stop Celtic coming back.

Never a Rangers manager, he's found his level where he's at right now, and if he manages to exceed from what Aston Villa have been doing so far there then he'll be doing well. No hard feelings, and hopefully he does do well at his club, but had he been a really good manager we'd have won the League sooner, and a cup or two.
Crank. He was superb for us at a time that we were completely rudderless and lost

After 28 games, Steven Gerrard's win % record at Aston Villa is the same as Gary Neville's at Valencia.

Won - 10
Drawn - 5
Lost - 13
Win % - 35%

35 points accumulated over 28 games would give a total of 47.5 over a seasons 38 games. Which in comparison for the 2021/22 season they'd have finished 13th.

Hopefully so as he certainly put Celtic firmly in their place. We've made millions of pounds due to him giving Patterson his chance and selling for a massive profit, signing Bassey and Aribo and us selling for a massive profit. I honestly believe if the board had backed him after we became champions we'd have won the league and went straight into the champions league.
Scotland might just be his level,

This season will be tougher yet for SG now that Beale has gone.
Noticed QPR had a good win at home to Middlesborough with Villa losing to Bournemouth. Many had commented that Beale's influence would be missed.

Back