Gerrard since joining Villa

He chose to leave the greatest club in the world, for Aston Villa.

It was a great decision for us as without him leaving we wouldn’t have made our fifth Euro final.

I think he’ll get things stabilised and Villa will finish around 11-14 as normal. Whether that’s enough for him to be kept on is another matter.

Will be surprised if he's still there come the start of 2023. Did so much for us but the first time he wasn't allowed to spent 10 million on transfers without selling anyone to fund it and he was gone months later to a job in a league where the expectations are usually higher than what is realistically possible and lasting more than two or three seasons is rare.

Also don't think you can be a strict manager with a mid-table premier league club. You get those players to stop listening to you and they are on too much money to shift to anyone besides other premier league clubs or the elite clubs that the players aren't good enough for. Gerrard stripped Mings of the captaincy, dropped him from the team but he's supposedly on 80k a week so where is he going to go?

After 28 games, Steven Gerrard's win % record at Aston Villa is the same as Gary Neville's at Valencia.

Won - 10
Drawn - 5
Lost - 13
Win % - 35%
I read somewhere that he has a worse win percentage than Lampard has at Everton.

Last edited:
He did 'OK' last season ln which was effectively a free hit given how bad they were when he joined.

Now has a summer transfer window behind him. Few signings. This is his team now so there are no excuses.

Gerrard did a good job for Rangers but I maintain it wasn't one that was insamountable for a good manager backed by the board.

I didn't care very much for his attitude last summer and I thought the way he left was poor. I think you saw with Patterson, Aribo and Bassey that if you do a good job for Rangers and leave in the right manner you'll go with nothing but best wishes. He struck me as being in a bit of a huff and couldn't wait to get away.

For all he did a good job with us, and he absolutely did. I never thought he was a guy touched by genius in the dugout or anything like that. I struggle to see what he will realistically achieve with a club like Villa.

Must have spent some decent money as well.

What’s success for villa though, top 10 and a cup run?
I’d have thought with the amount of money their owners are pumping in they’d want them chapping at the door of a European place come May.

If by Xmas that’s looking a million miles away it’s not inconceivable they’ll act.

Gerrard is an old school manager but not a good modern day coach who has all the tools necessary to succeed in the EPL. Beale was the brains behind the operation, running training, tactics etc and his loss will be massive.

From reading the Villa forum, it appears he has lost the dressing room and his tactics and team selection are all over the place. Every pre-season game they setup with ings and Watkins - yesterday he dropped Watkins. His choice to make McGinn captain is another strange one as many don’t believe he is even in their best 11.

His old school mentality is shown by how quickly he alienates players and falls out with them and statements like “looking in their eyes” before he will pick them again.

Villla fans were never truly sold on him due to his lack of connection to the club and his ties to Liverpool - he will not be shown much patience or given any time.

Only one way this is going unfortunately for a man I don’t really have any ill will towards.

I had a look at the Villa forums and the fans are turning against him
Things are turning ugly.

46585-pitchforks.gif

Going by the comments I've seen on twitter he isn't exactly popular with the fans. A bad start to the season and he could be in trouble. If he fails at villa I'm not sure where he goes from there.

What a sad comment to call SG a snake. Is that how you remember GS?
1) The Magnificent Bastard left us for Liverpool, not a mid-table-at-best side who haven’t won a trophy in forever

2) Liverpool was probably the only club that TMB would have left us for. Gerrard on the other hand jumped ship at the first club that raised its skirts and flashed its knickers at him

3) TMB wanted to see out the season but was told to leave immediately by Murray. Gerrard was out the door as soon as he could

4) TMB gave us more success in his very first season than Gerrard did in his entire time at Ibrox. He’d earned the right to leave if and when he wanted to.

Gerrard left us well and truly in the lurch. The only saving graces were that we received a decent amount of compensation for a not particularly good manager.

I’ll be amazed if he lasts at Villa until the new year.

If there is a sniff of AV heading towards the relegation zone he will be gone during the world cup break

Can't believe this thread. Gerrard and Rangers were a perfect mix. A sleeping giant and a world famous footballer in his first big role.
It worked very well on a relative shoestring compared to the tims expenditure . Gerrard bought into the club but it was no secret he'd go to the prem.
Our European runs will become stuff of legend, we have punched a over our weight because of Gerrard. Yes, domestic cups were a weakness. Yes he should have won another league. How anyone can wish him ill as a Rangers fan is beyond me.

I had a look at the Villa forums and the fans are turning against him

In fairness I think a lot of them didn’t want him in the first place and weren’t too impressed with what he served up last season for the most part.

So having just lost their opening game to a newly promoted side whose own manager was saying were miles off where he wanted going into the season I’m not surprised the knives are out already.

He can’t complain about not having been backed this summer that’s for sure.

To me that sounds about right for Aston Villa though?
I seen Parker on sky sports complaining about Bournemouths transfer business.

Not getting a result of any kind against Bournemouth who are favourites to go straight back down is alarming to Villa fans.

Gerrard did a good job for Rangers but I maintain it wasn't one that was insamountable for a good manager backed by the board.

I didn't care very much for his attitude last summer and I thought the way he left was poor. I think you saw with Patterson, Aribo and Bassey that if you do a good job for Rangers and leave in the right manner you'll go with nothing but best wishes. He struck me as being in a bit of a huff and couldn't wait to get away.

For all he did a good job with us, and he absolutely did. I never thought he was a guy touched by genius in the dugout or anything like that. I struggle to see what he will realistically achieve with a club like Villa.
The away from the wife and kids thing was an excuse imo.
Thats football, what about all those players that are loaned constantly , look at Halliday for example.
Or the working class, where guys are on the rigs for weeks at a time.

When he was linked with Villa it made no sense. They are one of about 10 teams in the EPL that probably won’t get relegated, probably won’t make CL or Europa and at best a quarter final of a cup. He isn’t going to Liverpool from Villa that’s for sure.

You know things have turned ugly when John McGinn is the captain.

He had enough gravitas to make a real impact on our players and as many have said Beale was a massive part of that team.

I’m not sure he’s really anything special in the long run.

His best chance of the Liverpool job was to win 2 or 3 leagues in a row with us but he chucked it after Malmo

Back