Gerrard since joining Villa

SG is a born winner. For all his faults, he wanted to win every game as a player and as a manager with us.

He’s never going to understand his Villa players who are happy to see out a 1-1 draw away at Forest. And vice versa.

It’s not going to work.

SG is a born winner. For all his faults, he wanted to win every game as a player and as a manager with us.

He’s never going to understand his Villa players who are happy to see out a 1-1 draw away at Forest. And vice versa.

It’s not going to work.
I don't think their players are particularly happy at drawing tbh, but I agree with your point.

But I don't think you are wrong. I don't believe Gerrard is "happy" at villa he's only accepting it as he belives it'll get him the Liverpool job. The type of person Gerrard is doesn't strike me as someone who'd be happy going from Rangers winning even just 1-0 being a borderline disaster to getting pumped 3-0 being relatively acceptable against certain teams. From what we know about his personality and mentality that's a massive comedown. He's a guy who likes the high standards, something that will push him further to better himself and Villa don't offer him that at all.

One thing I will always remember is his first old firm after that 9 men vs UFA. We played super defensive at the piggery despite that and having some injuries and Gerrard was slaughtered for it, worsened by the fact we lost. Even though the logic was sound and he had good reasoning for it, people had the forks out because of how he set us up. That never happened again and I believe, might be wrong :)), but I think that played a defining moment in Gerrard and Beale deciding to just go for it in Europe and see what happens instead of trying to play it safe. The slaughtering he got against that Old Firm IMO set the standards for him and made him realise not trying to win isn't going to be acceptable no matter the circumstances.

Last edited:
Gerrard will still get the Liverpool job and I think he'll be a success at it, he's being let down by the players.

Gerrard did a good job for Rangers but I maintain it wasn't one that was insamountable for a good manager backed by the board.

I didn't care very much for his attitude last summer and I thought the way he left was poor. I think you saw with Patterson, Aribo and Bassey that if you do a good job for Rangers and leave in the right manner you'll go with nothing but best wishes. He struck me as being in a bit of a huff and couldn't wait to get away.

For all he did a good job with us, and he absolutely did. I never thought he was a guy touched by genius in the dugout or anything like that. I struggle to see what he will realistically achieve with a club like Villa.
I have posted this before. I met a couple of middle aged Liverpool Fanatics a couple of years ago who asked me what I thought of Gerard. My reply was one of admiration to which one of them replied, "He's a C.nt", and the other replied, "And his wifes, a bigger one".

They both had met Gerrard on a few occasions and because of that conversation, the manner of SGs departure, came as no surprise to me.

Last edited:
I seen Parker on sky sports complaining about Bournemouths transfer business.

Not getting a result of any kind against Bournemouth who are favourites to go straight back down is alarming to Villa fans.
Must be alarming for liverpool then, only getting a draw at Fulham.

I wouldn't take much notice of the experts on here, they're usually wrong.

One thing that will count against him down there is that his name will carry little to no clout with his playing squad - the egos in the Premier league are huge and they don't give a fucķ if he's Steven Gerrard

Different story when he's signing players from league 1 and championship teams, or negotiating loans from Liverpool youth/reserve ranks, which is why IMO he was a perfect fit for us at the time.

Anyway if he sinks at villa the press will give it the whole "unfair sacking" treatment because they stand defiantly behind anyone who qualifies as a young English manager. Which ultimately means he'll get another job before long.

I think he’s not daft but he is emotional at times.

He left us at the wrong time for the wrong club.

I had a read of their forum last night and can’t say I saw many supporting him even on here you get some supporting the manager.
Let's wait and see what happens on tuesday. Doesn't work out we'll have people wanting a new manager in next week.

I have posted this before. I met a couple of middle aged Liverpool Fanatics a couple of years ago who asked me what I thought of Gerard. My reply was one of admiration to which one of them replied, "He's a C.nt", and the other replied, "And his wifes, a bigger one".

They both had met Gerrard on a few occasions and because of that conversation, the manner of SGs departure, came as no surprise to me.
That's unusual, I've never met a Liverpool fan who didn't love the guy.

He's not got his tactics man any more so he's going to find it tough. As above, Gerrard will never get to manage Liverpool. He's simply not good enough and it was clear others were doing a lot for him. He's perhaps a good leader and good at bringing resources together but when he doesn't have them to hand, appears to struggle.

I wouldn't. To get it out of the way, I will always be grateful for 55, giving us our dignity back against those pig bastards and also our performances in Europe.

Before COVID hit Gerrard was in serious trouble and it didn't look like he could swing things around. The performances were verging on abysmal and it didn't look like we had anything of a plan on the pitch. Losing to a bottom of the league Hamilton Accies at Ibrox leaving us 13 points adrift was a real nadir. The inability to win vital cup ties was another glaring issue which saw no sign of being addressed.

I'm not convinced by the argument that he wasn't sufficiently backed. We did spend, and at Gerrard's behest we turned down bids for important players which would have given us funds to reinvest. There is no bottomless pit of money, Rangers cannot afford to spend huge money without selling players to balance the books.

Gerrard is media trained to within an inch of his life, this shows as he is more than capable of telling one story to the cameras while doing the opposite in private with a straight face. It was clear that after the loss to Malmo, which he masterminded, that he was no longer interested in the job. I understand why he didn't want to move his family to Glasgow, but it clearly has an impact. If you are a player and you see your manager putting in a half arsed display, why would you take him seriously if he digs you up for doing the same?

I wanted Gerrard to well at Villa but the signs don't look good. I felt it was a daft move. What does success look like at Villa Park? Win the league? European qualification? 10th and the League Cup? I think Premier League clubs let go of managers too quickly because they panic. If Villa don't start winning consistently then he will go, Purslow or no Purslow.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. To get it out of the way, I will always be grateful for 55, giving us our dignity back against those pig bastards and also our performances in Europe.

Before COVID hit Gerrard was in serious trouble and it didn't look like he could swing things around. The performances were verging on abysmal and it didn't look like we had anything of a plan on the pitch. Losing to a bottom of the league Hamilton Accies at Ibrox leaving us 13 points adrift was a real nadir. The inability to win vital cup ties was another glaring issue which saw no sign of being addressed.

I'm not convinced by the argument that he wasn't sufficiently backed. We did spend, and at Gerrard's behest we turned down bids for important players which would have given us funds to reinvest. There is no bottomless pit of money, Rangers cannot afford to spend huge money without selling players to balance the books.

Gerrard is media trained to within an inch of his life, this shows as he is more than capable of telling one story to the cameras while doing the opposite in private with a straight face. It was clear that after the loss to Malmo, which he masterminded, that he was no longer interested in the job. I understand why he didn't want to move his family to Glasgow, but it clearly has an impact. If you are a player and you see your manager putting in a half arsed display, why would you take him seriously if he digs you up for doing the same?

I wanted Gerrard to well at Villa but the signs don't look good. I felt it was a daft move. What does success look like at Villa Park? Win the league? European qualification? 10th and the League Cup? I think Premier League clubs let go of managers too quickly because they panic. If Villa don't start winning consistently then he will go, Purslow or no Purslow.
The cup results and the loss to Hamilton was extremely disappointing but I still maintain Celtic were awarded a title they didn't win, we were behind in the league but had a game in hand and an old firm game at Ibrox which if we won both would've put Celtic under serious pressure and we seen the following season how they capitulated under pressure. The job he done to get us back to champions was nothing short of remarkable from where we were prior to his arrival and I'd go as far to say our 55th title is the most important title we've ever won in our history. Gerrard had put Celtic back in their place and the board should've backed him after we became champions and they didn't or couldn't and that IMO resulted in him leaving.

The cup results and the loss to Hamilton was extremely disappointing but I still maintain Celtic were awarded a title they didn't win, we were behind in the league but had a game in hand and an old firm game at Ibrox which if we won both would've put Celtic under serious pressure and we seen the following season how they capitulated under pressure. The job he done to get us back to champions was nothing short of remarkable from where we were prior to his arrival and I'd go as far to say our 55th title is the most important title we've ever won in our history. Gerrard had put Celtic back in their place and the board should've backed him after we became champions and they didn't or couldn't and that IMO resulted in him leaving.
The pigs were awarded a fraudulent title, I agree. Compare to England where Liverpool could have been awarded theirs on paper with few legitimate complaints, but went out to win it on the pitch anyway. Hand on heart though, I don't think we'd have clawed back the deficit but if have never given up until it was mathematically impossible.

I disagree re investment before qualifying for the Champions League. We will budget based on Europa League qualification unless we make big sales. The money is huge, but the risk of spending it before it's in the bank is also huge. There is a line that needs walked and after the last decade I'm much happier walking on the prudent side of that line. In any case, that Malmo team were eminently beatable and Gerrard failed to do so.

The pigs were awarded a fraudulent title, I agree. Compare to England where Liverpool could have been awarded theirs on paper with few legitimate complaints, but went out to win it on the pitch anyway. Hand on heart though, I don't think we'd have clawed back the deficit but if have never given up until it was mathematically impossible.

I disagree re investment before qualifying for the Champions League. We will budget based on Europa League qualification unless we make big sales. The money is huge, but the risk of spending it before it's in the bank is also huge. There is a line that needs walked and after the last decade I'm much happier walking on the prudent side of that line. In any case, that Malmo team were eminently beatable and Gerrard failed to do so.
We should have beat Malmo but if we had freshened the team up we'd have had a better chance. The finances could've came from selling players.

Delusional. we were in free fall and had the season been played to an end Gerrard would have probably been lucky to still be in the job by the start of the following season. In hindsight it's a good thing he was of course, but christ we were terrible then and he looked utterly clueless.

Delusional. we were in free fall and had the season been played to an end Gerrard would have probably been lucky to still be in the job by the start of the following season. In hindsight it's a good thing he was of course, but christ we were terrible then and he looked utterly clueless.
That utterly clueless that we went over 2 years undefeated against Celtic since they were awarded a title they didn't win.

This again? He didn’t want any top players sold.
If that's true it makes the board look weak as I'm sure he understood our finances more than most and if he was looking to sign players the calibre of Veerman the money would have to come from somewhere.

Will always be thankful to Steven Gerrard for the massive improvements behind the scenes for which we do not see , he gave us 55 and made us a European force again . I just don't get the angst towards him .
I for one will always appreciate what he and his backroom team did.

That's unusual, I've never met a Liverpool fan who didn't love the guy.
Exactly what I thought.

But they have probably never had the experiences this couple had, on the occasions when they had met him.

Last edited:
That's the thing . He probably could have gone from us to Liverpool if he'd stayed and won a few titles. He checked out at the end of the season, probably for family reasons, and it's now looking less likely he'll ever manage Liverpool.

Still, he brought back to our great club the standards needed to compete at the top. Just bugs me the way he left
Alternatively, he could have lost the league this season and a move to the EPL would have been dead in the water, let alone to Liverpool. Bit like Bassey this season, which is why I was so glad to sell him. One more indifferent season and that would have been £20m odd doon the pan. You need to strike while the iron's hot.

Alternatively, he could have lost the league this season and a move to the EPL would have been dead in the water, let alone to Liverpool. Bit like Bassey this season, which is why I was so glad to sell him. One more indifferent season and that would have been £20m odd doon the pan. You need to strike while the iron's hot.
Completely agree.
We are a huge club in a tinpot league.
Those are the facts.
Villa was about the best EPL club Gerrard was going to get.

Exactly what I thought.

But they have probably never had the experiences this couple had, on the occasions when they had met him.
I work in Liverpool and have never heard a LFC fan say a bad word about him. In fact, those who have met him - myself included in his playing days - will tell you he’s a gentleman who is very generous with his time.

Back