Gerrard since joining Villa

I'll always be grateful to SG for 55 but he surely as a young manager had to dig in for 56 and possibly a cup or two and get some sort of decent track record behind him after all Aston Villa weren't going anywhere but instead showed a bit of immaturity and walked away from a team that under Gio got to the Europa final and won the Scottish cup an error of judgement on his part.

The thing is, if it carries on going tits up at Villa and the rumoured spat with Tyrone Mings is true, he'll get the sack fairly quickly. Villa fans aren't sold on him, a rift in the dressing room would kill his Villa career.

After Villa, where does he go? He can't go abroad, his missus/family won't move and he won't get another Prem job after flunking at Villa. So you'd reckon the Championship beckons for him.

Hope he turns it around, but it's not looking good for him at the moment.

1) The Magnificent Bastard left us for Liverpool, not a mid-table-at-best side who haven’t won a trophy in forever

2) Liverpool was probably the only club that TMB would have left us for. Gerrard on the other hand jumped ship at the first club that raised its skirts and flashed its knickers at him

3) TMB wanted to see out the season but was told to leave immediately by Murray. Gerrard was out the door as soon as he could

4) TMB gave us more success in his very first season than Gerrard did in his entire time at Ibrox. He’d earned the right to leave if and when he wanted to.

Gerrard left us well and truly in the lurch. The only saving graces were that we received a decent amount of compensation for a not particularly good manager.

I’ll be amazed if he lasts at Villa until the new year.
The Rangers board backed Souness with the England captain, England goalkeeper and an England defender. Gerrard had been away from his family for 3 years and to say Souness didn't leave us in the lurch is revisionism at its best. Once he had accepted the Liverpool job he had to go. For any Rangers fan to have ill will towards Gerrard but not Souness is bizarre. Both deserve our thanks.

Can't believe this thread. Gerrard and Rangers were a perfect mix. A sleeping giant and a world famous footballer in his first big role.
It worked very well on a relative shoestring compared to the tims expenditure . Gerrard bought into the club but it was no secret he'd go to the prem.
Our European runs will become stuff of legend, we have punched a over our weight because of Gerrard. Yes, domestic cups were a weakness. Yes he should have won another league. How anyone can wish him ill as a Rangers fan is beyond me.
Well said

The thing is, if it carries on going tits up at Villa and the rumoured spat with Tyrone Mings is true, he'll get the sack fairly quickly. Villa fans aren't sold on him, a rift in the dressing room would kill his Villa career.

After Villa, where does he go? He can't go abroad, his missus/family won't move and he won't get another Prem job after flunking at Villa. So you'd reckon the Championship beckons for him.

I reckon there's a fair chance he could get the England national team job after Southgate regardless of how he does at Villa.

But as I posted on here before, and not out of bitterness, I do expect him to be back on BT Sports before long

Alternatively, he could have lost the league this season and a move to the EPL would have been dead in the water, let alone to Liverpool. Bit like Bassey this season, which is why I was so glad to sell him. One more indifferent season and that would have been £20m odd doon the pan. You need to strike while the iron's hot.
He would have got another season.

I get that if he had gone to Liverpool, but he's gone to a club where he will more than likely be sacked, he'll win nothing and trash the good work he did with us

One thing that will count against him down there is that his name will carry little to no clout with his playing squad - the egos in the Premier league are huge and they don't give a fucķ if he's Steven Gerrard

Different story when he's signing players from league 1 and championship teams, or negotiating loans from Liverpool youth/reserve ranks, which is why IMO he was a perfect fit for us at the time.

Anyway if he sinks at villa the press will give it the whole "unfair sacking" treatment because they stand defiantly behind anyone who qualifies as a young English manager. Which ultimately means he'll get another job before long.
Take your point about his name & players, but his name will always appeal to club owners, as he’s still a huge figure in the English game & will never be short of job offers IMO, including overseas.

Just my opinion but Gerrard would have walked at the end of last season regardless of how it panned out, good bad or indifferent. Obviously the Malmo defeat brought this to ahead much sooner.

Maybe had we managed to win 56 and get automatic CL qualification, he'd have stayed but that would have meant what a fifth season with us? Every manager has a shelf live especially in the back water that is Scottish football.

Who was the last manager between us and them to stay 5 full seasons, O'Neill? Going back nearly 20 years which says it all. Even Rogers jumped at first chance of getting away despite being some kind of messiah figure with them.

Just my opinion but Gerrard would have walked at the end of last season regardless of how it panned out, good bad or indifferent. Obviously the Malmo defeat brought this to ahead much sooner.

Maybe had we managed to win 56 and get automatic CL qualification, he'd have stayed but that would have meant what a fifth season with us? Every manager has a shelf live especially in the back water that is Scottish football.

Who was the last manager between us and them to stay 5 full seasons, O'Neill? Going back nearly 20 years which says it all. Even Rogers jumped at first chance of getting away despite being some kind of messiah figure with them.
Gerrard had told the club it was his last season .

He’s not interested in reality. Far too infatuated with Gerrard. Even ignoring the absolute state of us when that season was called, desperate stuff.
Or of course some people have a different opinion than yourself and are prepared to give Gerrard the credit he deserves for winning us our 55th title which from where we were to where he took us was a remarkable achievement.

I find this unnecessary. Gerrard did a good job for us and had ambitions to move the the EPL.
He got that move, we have moved on, thanks for the service and good luck with your future.

Some fans are like scorned exes.
Only thing was the manner he left in, a Souness style press conference may or may not havew worked after his ' do i look happy , do i look settled'

Don’t think it matters who Villa have as a manager their place in the pecking order is mid table. Top ten would be an excellent season.

Gerrard gas done all right, when appointed tgey we’re heading to relegation

Need to be realistic about what success looks like for a team like Villa.

Or of course some people have a different opinion than yourself and are prepared to give Gerrard the credit he deserves for winning us our 55th title which from where we were to where he took us was a remarkable achievement.
I’ve given Gerrard credit for that. 55 is irrelevant when we’re discussing the fact we were in free fall the season prior, to suggest we might have clawed it back given how unbelievably bad we are is delusion of the highest order, almost Yahoo! levels of delusion. It’s also irrelevant to the fact you absolutely flat out refuse to accept that he didn’t want players sold and got his wish. We had this discussion before and it took an age to even get you to acknowledge it through your red specs.

“The board are weak” you say, yet we all know if they had sold players against Gerrard’s wishes you’d have 100% blamed the board selling players for his subsequent failings. Basically whatever happens, it’s never Gerrards fault for you. Just look at your avatar ffs. He left like a theif in the night, he was well backed by the board, he won a brilliant title, but it was one big highlight amidst a lot of domestic disappointment (and in some cases, outright embarrassment), and if we hadn’t had two dud managers before him we could when gotten there sooner.

Contrary to what you think Gerrard’s not the only one who could have won that title, there are other managers who’d have won it and won more, and I suspect this will become clearer with his time at Villa without Beale, which might well show him to be a bit of an average manager (at best) in the grand scheme.

Last edited:
What exactly is the spat with mings?I know he took the captaincy off him and I've always found mings to be an arrogant, not particularlt talented cock of a man who takes a very easy huff and offence at anything. I'm with gerrard on that one, if their weird speaking fans want to back the player that's up to them.

I also get the feeling gerrard will be a pundit my the time may comes. I don't like what he did nor will I forget, his behaviour to that woman interviewing him was disgraceful. On the flip side, I never liked gerrard cos I can't stand Liverpool though he had my full l support when with us. I also can't stand villa and the kid lands in general. He could do with another club t be honest

Probably back to the media

Load of pish mate.

Gerrard was a Rangers manager and was an important part of our history & gave us moments we will never forget. Be mad at him for how he left all you want and call him every name under the sun for it but let's not disrespect what he done for us either. He took on a job with one goal, winning the league and stopping their "10", a job many experienced managers would have shy'd away from and he done it in remarkable fashion going unbeaten.

To the latter your forgetting we lost a cup final because their goal had 3 players offside and somehow was allowed. He could have done better with cups but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.
Best manager in Europe in my time watching Rangers and cantered to the league undefeated.

People need to park their bitterness towards him as its clouding their judgement.

We were the third best team in Scotland when he arrived...let that sink in and think again.

Never a Rangers manager, he's found his level where he's at right now, and if he manages to exceed from what Aston Villa have been doing so far there then he'll be doing well. No hard feelings, and hopefully he does do well at his club, but had he been a really good manager we'd have won the League sooner, and a cup or two.
Never a Rangers manager? What a fucking ridiculous post

1) The Magnificent Bastard left us for Liverpool, not a mid-table-at-best side who haven’t won a trophy in forever

2) Liverpool was probably the only club that TMB would have left us for. Gerrard on the other hand jumped ship at the first club that raised its skirts and flashed its knickers at him

3) TMB wanted to see out the season but was told to leave immediately by Murray. Gerrard was out the door as soon as he could

4) TMB gave us more success in his very first season than Gerrard did in his entire time at Ibrox. He’d earned the right to leave if and when he wanted to.

Gerrard left us well and truly in the lurch. The only saving graces were that we received a decent amount of compensation for a not particularly good manager.

I’ll be amazed if he lasts at Villa until the new year.
Souness was just called the bastard at the time as most Rangers fans thought he was a snake the same as they thought of Naismith when he did an equally embarrassing interview. much the same as Gerrard.

Souness was also a Hearts fan growing up, Gerrard a Liverpool fan none has a strong allegiance to the club.

Just read the BBC article about his challenge to Mings. Can’t see that ending well for him. He’s right in everything he says, Mings has been rotten, but as soon as you go public with that sort of thing, it doesn’t usually end well for the manager.

The way he left, slyly, still stings.

His missus was sick of the drive up and down to see him is my guess. Plus his family were absent on trophy day for 55. He checked out.

Now at Vila, only an hour away from the training ground his missus is happy now. Only problem is he isn’t. He looks to what he could have done, taken us to a domestic treble last year, as I don’t think the League Cup Semi was an issue with him there. Plus I dont see how he would have let that points gap in the league be closed. He has big Ange beaten too.

The fact that, to my eyes, when asked in pressers after the Leipzig semi at Ibrox and the run in to the Final he was like a jealous ex watching another man, Gio, take his first management position down the aisle.

My prediction is that he will last the season, take Villa to a top 14 position. He will have a poor start next year, and be gone for Christmas 2023.

He is a man that thrives on hero worship from the fans. He had it at Liverpool as a player, with us as a manager. He doesn’t have that at Villa. The Mings issue will be the start of the end for him. If he wants Mings off his mind, he could be taken and placed beside Goldson? Only issue is Mings is on something like £120k a week.

Gerrard is further from a Liverpool management job as he ever was now.

If you look at it now, he's offered the Liverpool job, he takes it, that's a car crash waiting to happen.

Klopp is f.ucking miles above SG right now, like different planet shit.

You can’t change the facts.

Had covid not hit then Gerrard was away and wouldn’t have won a thing, I personally wanted him gone after the Scottish cup performance at tynecastle.

What then happened is pretty simple, Gerrard remained professional and so did our players whilst the tramps got pished and took their success for granted - the rest is history.

Last season is a anomaly IMO.

Had he stayed we would have won the league but probably not got out the groups stages of Europe ( just my IMO ) but we would have been to far ahead of them.

As for Villa, I hope he succeeds but the problem he has is that he doesn’t play entertaining football and is very one dimensional which at times is boring.

Villa fans from what I read hate him because he is a scouser and a Liverpool fan who would jump the ship if they called, I remember one poster saying last year that his worry would be they were top of the league and Liverpool 3rd, they sack Klopp and he would go running so I can see where they are coming from tbh.

I'll always be grateful to SG for 55 but he surely as a young manager had to dig in for 56 and possibly a cup or two and get some sort of decent track record behind him after all Aston Villa weren't going anywhere but instead showed a bit of immaturity and walked away from a team that under Gio got to the Europa final and won the Scottish cup an error of judgement on his part.

Don't think he left for football reasons.

He wanted to be nearer his family going by what he said.

Understandable surely.

The cup results and the loss to Hamilton was extremely disappointing but I still maintain Celtic were awarded a title they didn't win, we were behind in the league but had a game in hand and an old firm game at Ibrox which if we won both would've put Celtic under serious pressure and we seen the following season how they capitulated under pressure. The job he done to get us back to champions was nothing short of remarkable from where we were prior to his arrival and I'd go as far to say our 55th title is the most important title we've ever won in our history. Gerrard had put Celtic back in their place and the board should've backed him after we became champions and they didn't or couldn't and that IMO resulted in him leaving.
We were never catching the scum that season, absolutely deluded thinking otherwise. Them capitulating from October onwards the following season while level on points is in no way any indication they would have fucked up a 10 point lead, had we even won our game in hand.

He gave us 55 which was a great season but it should have been won the season before. He came back from the winter break, having been on cloud 9 before it by beating the scum at the piggery, in a weirdly bad mood and going way over the top in his criticism of the 2nd string side after an admittedly boring cup win, then we dropped 10 points in the following 8 games.

He was told during the Christmas of 2020, as we all were, we have to start selling players to bring in players kicking in the trading policy we strive for. Instead of doing that he didn't sell up and went in with the same team for the qualifiers unprepared. He came back in a stinking mood and the team suffered.

He was backed plenty then threw the toys out the pram the one summer he didn't get his way. You're posting some serious revisionism of Gwrrard's time here.

He brought some pride back and thrived on being the under dog in Europe. He eventually won the league and won it in style but there were plenty of lows and he doesn't seem to have progressed as manager in his 4 year stint as one.

He doesn't need the money, and like you said isn't getting another Prem job (though maybe a relegation candidate might take a punt on him at some point). I couldn't see him going down to the Championship, so if he gets sacked by Villa, that's probably that for his managerial career.

Back