Gerrard since joining Villa

He doesn't need the money, and like you said isn't getting another Prem job (though maybe a relegation candidate might take a punt on him at some point). I couldn't see him going down to the Championship, so if he gets sacked by Villa, that's probably that for his managerial career.

I can see him taking the England job eventually.

The cup results and the loss to Hamilton was extremely disappointing but I still maintain Celtic were awarded a title they didn't win, we were behind in the league but had a game in hand and an old firm game at Ibrox which if we won both would've put Celtic under serious pressure and we seen the following season how they capitulated under pressure. The job he done to get us back to champions was nothing short of remarkable from where we were prior to his arrival and I'd go as far to say our 55th title is the most important title we've ever won in our history. Gerrard had put Celtic back in their place and the board should've backed him after we became champions and they didn't or couldn't and that IMO resulted in him leaving.

I can see him taking the England job eventually.
Yeah..... England would be great for him. A good fit. So many forget our coefficient was 400 odds when he arrived and top 50 when he left... With mainly bosman signings.

SG is a born winner. For all his faults, he wanted to win every game as a player and as a manager with us.

He’s never going to understand his Villa players who are happy to see out a 1-1 draw away at Forest. And vice versa.

It’s not going to work.
As his many EPL champion medals show, eh? 9 trophies in 17 years at Liverpool. Not bad, but 3 were League cups. And way fewer trophies than, e.g., Dalglish. Yes, Istanbul was amazing. But born winner? 17 years, not a single league winners medal. So nope, not in my eyes.

Can't believe this thread. Gerrard and Rangers were a perfect mix. A sleeping giant and a world famous footballer in his first big role.
It worked very well on a relative shoestring compared to the tims expenditure . Gerrard bought into the club but it was no secret he'd go to the prem.
Our European runs will become stuff of legend, we have punched a over our weight because of Gerrard. Yes, domestic cups were a weakness. Yes he should have won another league. How anyone can wish him ill as a Rangers fan is beyond me.
All of what you say is true, but what I can’t believe is the way so many posters give him a free ride on leaving us in the lurch at the worst possible time. All his nice words about Rangers were just that. The truth is he didn’t give a damn about us as seen by how quickly he left.

As his many EPL champion medals show, eh? 9 trophies in 17 years at Liverpool. Not bad, but 3 were League cups. And way fewer trophies than, e.g., Dalglish. Yes, Istanbul was amazing. But born winner? 17 years, not a single league winners medal. So nope, not to my eyes.
Listen to SG on the High Performance podcast and tell me he's not a winner or driven to succeed at whatever he does in life.

He doesn't need the money, and like you said isn't getting another Prem job (though maybe a relegation candidate might take a punt on him at some point). I couldn't see him going down to the Championship, so if he gets sacked by Villa, that's probably that for his managerial career.
It's not inconceivable that Villa will sack him and he ends up getting in at another EPL club - always potential sackings as teams like Wolves, Leeds, Forest and maybe even Leicester might look for a change, maybe less likely that he'd go further afield. I agree that he probably wouldn't drop down - he's always been at 'elite' level clubs, although you never know if a club gets big investment and he sees it as a project.

He also said in that podcast IIRC that he didn't want to be managing for too long and would look at other things. There's always the option of big paydays in MLS or middle east with little risk if he's going to chuck it anyway.

My guess is he'll end up back at Liverpool in some capacity and be groomed to get his shot after Klopp goes. Even if his record is poor at lower clubs, he is Mr Liverpool and will be popular with their fans, and how could anyone not do OK with their resources.

Listen to SG on the High Performance podcast and tell me he's not a winner or driven to succeed at whatever he does in life.
Words are cheap.

Born winners win the big trophies (and as I said, he's zero for 17 in the EPL). And being driven to succeed isn't the same as actually succeeding!

Don't forget that he was 1 out of 9 at Rangers (and that's just for domestic competitions).

All of what you say is true, but what I can’t believe is the way so many posters give him a free ride on leaving us in the lurch at the worst possible time. All his nice words about Rangers were just that. The truth is he didn’t give a damn about us as seen by how quickly he left.
And it's not just how quickly he left. If he'd left suddenly for the Liverpool job, I doubt that any Rangers supporter would have grudged him that.

It's also the way he left, sneaking out the door (Do I look happy? Don't ask such silly questions). And the fact that he left for Villa. Hell mend him, so far as I'm concerned.

Words are cheap.

Born winners win the big trophies (and as I said, he's zero for 17 in the EPL). And being driven to succeed isn't the same as actually succeeding!

Don't forget that he was 1 out of 9 at Rangers (and that's just for domestic competitions).
Don't forget what he walked into and where he left us either. Sure, we didn't do well in cups but the trajectory he has put the club on is a world away from the failed attempts by the 3 managers before him.

And the words are open and honest about his career. You should really give it a listen before dismissing it out of hand.

Words are cheap.

FFS, the guy dragged his team single handedly to the most unlikely CL win in history,
He'd have won league titles if he'd followed the money and joined the better club teams of his era.
114 caps for England, many as captain, played at 6 major tournaments.
Led us to an unlikely 55th league title, against the odds, but not a winner in your eyes. What a load of unadulterated pish you're talking :)

He would have got another season.

I get that if he had gone to Liverpool, but he's gone to a club where he will more than likely be sacked, he'll win nothing and trash the good work he did with us
Obviously he felt confident enough in his own abilities that he could transform Villa into a side challenging for Europe.

It shouldn’t really be that tall an order when the likes of Leicester, Wolves and West Ham are doing it and he has huge amounts of money at his disposal and able to add players like Coutinho.

If he achieves it it won’t go unnoticed.

That was the challenge he gave himself and I’m sure even now he still believes he can achieve it.

The Villa fans calling for him to be sacked if he loses to Everton at the weekend are every bit as delusional as those of ours that demanded Gio was binned after he lost at Parkhead.

It goes without saying though that he really needs to start showing signs of improvement down there and get them climbing the table otherwise his days will inevitably be numbered.

It's not inconceivable that Villa will sack him and he ends up getting in at another EPL club - always potential sackings as teams like Wolves, Leeds, Forest and maybe even Leicester might look for a change, maybe less likely that he'd go further afield. I agree that he probably wouldn't drop down - he's always been at 'elite' level clubs, although you never know if a club gets big investment and he sees it as a project.

He also said in that podcast IIRC that he didn't want to be managing for too long and would look at other things. There's always the option of big paydays in MLS or middle east with little risk if he's going to chuck it anyway.

My guess is he'll end up back at Liverpool in some capacity and be groomed to get his shot after Klopp goes. Even if his record is poor at lower clubs, he is Mr Liverpool and will be popular with their fans, and how could anyone not do OK with their resources.
I think those days have passed with owners now being brutal, it’s not like when Dalglish and Souness managed Liverpool, to get the Liverpool job he will have to be successful at a lower level, like Lampard if he fails at Villa like yourself I believe he will get another chance in the EPL, just now SG works for two very wealthy owners at Villa, one a supposedly Billionaire, if results do not follow he will be gone as you don’t become very rich without being brutal.

FFS, the guy dragged his team single handedly to the most unlikely CL win in history,
He'd have won league titles if he'd followed the money and joined the better club teams of his era.
114 caps for England, many as captain, played at 6 major tournaments.
Led us to an unlikely 55th league title, against the odds, but not a winner in your eyes. What a load of unadulterated pish you're talking :)
If you'd bothered reading my first post, i said "Istanbul was amazing".

Yup, he played at six major tournaments with England. How many of those did he win?

If you think his record is that of a "born winner" (which is what I'm disputing), then we have very different definitions of that term.

As his many EPL champion medals show, eh? 9 trophies in 17 years at Liverpool. Not bad, but 3 were League cups. And way fewer trophies than, e.g., Dalglish. Yes, Istanbul was amazing. But born winner? 17 years, not a single league winners medal. So nope, not in my eyes.
Of course he’s a born winner what a ridiculous thing to say he wasn’t.
If you know football or read up on things ex players say about Gerrard and his standards you will know he’s a born winner.

I’ve given Gerrard credit for that. 55 is irrelevant when we’re discussing the fact we were in free fall the season prior, to suggest we might have clawed it back given how unbelievably bad we are is delusion of the highest order, almost Yahoo! levels of delusion. It’s also irrelevant to the fact you absolutely flat out refuse to accept that he didn’t want players sold and got his wish. We had this discussion before and it took an age to even get you to acknowledge it through your red specs.

“The board are weak” you say, yet we all know if they had sold players against Gerrard’s wishes you’d have 100% blamed the board selling players for his subsequent failings. Basically whatever happens, it’s never Gerrards fault for you. Just look at your avatar ffs. He left like a theif in the night, he was well backed by the board, he won a brilliant title, but it was one big highlight amidst a lot of domestic disappointment (and in some cases, outright embarrassment), and if we hadn’t had two dud managers before him we could when gotten there sooner.

Contrary to what you think Gerrard’s not the only one who could have won that title, there are other managers who’d have won it and won more, and I suspect this will become clearer with his time at Villa without Beale, which might well show him to be a bit of an average manager (at best) in the grand scheme.
Any chance you could let us know what manager we could've afforded that would've lifted us from where Gerrard lifted us from and taken us to champions and done it quicker yet you say I'm delusional. I'd like you to look at the facts and see how much we spent after becoming champions and you'll see that Gerrard wasn't backed after taking us to our 55th title which is quite possibly our most important title in our entire history.

You can’t change the facts.

Had covid not hit then Gerrard was away and wouldn’t have won a thing, I personally wanted him gone after the Scottish cup performance at tynecastle.

What then happened is pretty simple, Gerrard remained professional and so did our players whilst the tramps got pished and took their success for granted - the rest is history.

Last season is a anomaly IMO.

Had he stayed we would have won the league but probably not got out the groups stages of Europe ( just my IMO ) but we would have been to far ahead of them.

As for Villa, I hope he succeeds but the problem he has is that he doesn’t play entertaining football and is very one dimensional which at times is boring.

Villa fans from what I read hate him because he is a scouser and a Liverpool fan who would jump the ship if they called, I remember one poster saying last year that his worry would be they were top of the league and Liverpool 3rd, they sack Klopp and he would go running so I can see where they are coming from tbh.
So us achieving our record points total and going the league season undefeated to win our most important title is because the tramps got pished and took their success for granted,You have to be kidding surely.

Was the correct man at the correct tine to manage us , a massive chance taken by the board that has paid off handsomely
Stopped them thrashing us basically every time we played them , won the league with an invincible season shattering their dream of TIAR for that I am forever grateful
Wish him all the best at Villa this season

Yup, he played at six major tournaments with England. How many of those did he win?

If you think his record is that of a "born winner" (which is what I'm disputing), then we have very different definitions of that term.
Francis Jeffers scored 4 goals in 3 years at Arsenal and somehow won the PL. Is he more of a born winner than Gerrard because he won the PL with his club?

Or is SG just unlucky that his generation at Liverpool weren't good enough over a season and were up against clubs with better squads, better managers and more investment in players?

The thing is, if it carries on going tits up at Villa and the rumoured spat with Tyrone Mings is true, he'll get the sack fairly quickly. Villa fans aren't sold on him, a rift in the dressing room would kill his Villa career.

After Villa, where does he go? He can't go abroad, his missus/family won't move and he won't get another Prem job after flunking at Villa. So you'd reckon the Championship beckons for him.

Hope he turns it around, but it's not looking good for him at the moment.
If he gets sacked at villa I think it would be interesting.

In a way I still think he'd get a chance at the liverpool job - managing liverpool is a lot closer to the demands of Rangers and situation compared to the rest of the league than a team like Villa, I don't necessarily think failing at villa means he'll fail at liverpool and I think he'll probably still be in for a shout. Should be a relatively easy 'transition' aswell as Gerrards style is very similar to how Liverpool play

But other than that my guess is he'd aim for the England job. I think he'd probably try to come back here aswell but that'd be a no go now, fans would say no, board would probably say no, and if we were going down the gerrard route again I feel like the better choice would be Beale.

In a way I still think he'd get a chance at the liverpool job - managing liverpool is a lot closer to the demands of Rangers and situation compared to the rest of the league than a team like Villa, I don't necessarily think failing at villa means he'll fail at liverpool and I think he'll probably still be in for a shout. Should be a relatively easy 'transition' aswell as Gerrards style is very similar to how Liverpool play

But other than that my guess is he'd aim for the England job. I think he'd probably try to come back here aswell but that'd be a no go now, fans would say no, board would probably say no, and if we were going down the gerrard route again I feel like the better choice would be Beale.
I can't see Liverpool ever going down that route they will think with their head, not their heart.
When Klopp leaves they will expect that success to continue and if Gerrard is doing well at Villa he could get the job, but if he fails they will look for another manager with a successful CV.

Why would Villa sack him his remit was to keep them in the division which he done relatively comfortably. I really don't think they are gonna sack him.

FFS
He got one for 55

Must be more than that. When he joined them all we read about was how massive they were.
A tiny team, I don't even remember their 90's cup wins or their most recent play off championship.
Nonsense. Aston Villa are a big club, they're just massively under achieving.

Can you? I can't see anybody touching him if Villa sack him tbh.
Hes the absolute darling of the English media so it would be portrayed as an unfair sacking and pushed HEAVILY for him to be considered for new roles. The clamour for a "young English manager" will win over any past failures.

If he gets sacked he'll get another job down there, easily.

We were never catching the scum that season, absolutely deluded thinking otherwise. Them capitulating from October onwards the following season while level on points is in no way any indication they would have fucked up a 10 point lead, had we even won our game in hand.

He gave us 55 which was a great season but it should have been won the season before. He came back from the winter break, having been on cloud 9 before it by beating the scum at the piggery, in a weirdly bad mood and going way over the top in his criticism of the 2nd string side after an admittedly boring cup win, then we dropped 10 points in the following 8 games.

He was told during the Christmas of 2020, as we all were, we have to start selling players to bring in players kicking in the trading policy we strive for. Instead of doing that he didn't sell up and went in with the same team for the qualifiers unprepared. He came back in a stinking mood and the team suffered.

He was backed plenty then threw the toys out the pram the one summer he didn't get his way. You're posting some serious revisionism of Gwrrard's time here.

He brought some pride back and thrived on being the under dog in Europe. He eventually won the league and won it in style but there were plenty of lows and he doesn't seem to have progressed as manager in his 4 year stint as one.
I think that is a pretty spot on assessment of his time with us. Europe you can not fault him and gets a 4/5 for it as he won some great games but we still had a few that performance was wanting.

Domestically though I think it was mostly a bit meh, yes great credit to drag us up to the top again from where we were but as you say we should have done so much better after that winter break! Why the collapse and why it seemed to happen every year I don’t know.

Hes the absolute darling of the English media so it would be portrayed as an unfair sacking and pushed HEAVILY for him to be considered for new roles. The clamour for a "young English manager" will win over any past failures.

If he gets sacked he'll get another job down there, easily.
The media aren't pushing Gerrard for England unless he does well at Villa. If he gets sacked it's downhill from there.

If he went to a lower level team and done well I could see a few shouts but not after a sacking from Villa. Not a chance.

Seems to be enjoying all those elite players he was looking forward to working with.

Rangers fans rolling over and accepting the Bheggars being awarded a title when they still had to play us twice is, well, absolutely deluded.
Gibberish. Accepting we more than likely wouldn't have caught them with 10 between us isn't the same as being okay with them being awarded it.

Nonsense.

I always believed that if he built a dominating rangers team up here, he would have had a far better chance of getting the Liverpool job than just getting by with a lower-mid EPL team.
Ten Hag to Man United proves that imo but he never saw it that way.

Why would Villa sack him his remit was to keep them in the division which he done relatively comfortably. I really don't think they are gonna sack him.
That was last season's expectations, with them now giving him big money they will expect much more this season.

Gibberish. Accepting we more than likely wouldn't have caught them with 10 between us isn't the same as being okay with them being awarded it.

Nonsense.

There's nothing "more than likely" about it. We had a game in hand and still to play them twice. Quite would you put that potential seven points gain as simply making it still "more than likely" the Behggars would have won, is one only you can answer.

Why is not "more than likely" than we would have scudded them twice, won our game in hand and then overhauled them as their arse collapsed and they dropped four points? Why is that not "more than likely"?

You don't get to the elite level of football and remain there for so many years without having a very specific mentality.

There's nothing "more than likely" about it. We had a game in hand and still to play them twice. Quite would you put that potential seven points gain as simply making it still "more than likely" the Behggars would have won, is one only you can answer.

Why is not "more than likely" than we would have scudded them twice, won our game in hand and then overhauled them as their arse collapsed and they dropped four points? Why is that not "more than likely"?
Because the chances of it happening were extremely slim.

Back