Gerrard since joining Villa

Maybe with you personally, but in the world of football he’s already considered to be the best around.

As the stats show, City’s total net spend is more than three times bigger than Liverpool’s over the last 10 years.

Comparing managing Villa with managing Chelsea and all their billions, bit like comparing Gio at Rangers with Jack Ross.
I'm not even sure why they included that as the discussion is about his Everton record v Gerrard's at Aston Villa, which is obviously shown as well.

As the stats show, City’s total net spend is more than three times bigger than Liverpool’s over the last 10 years.

“Net spend”, pointless scouse patter.

That’s nothing to do with anything. Guardiola is regarded as the top man, given that you thought he won European trophies with Bayern I’m not sure you’re clued up enough to be debating this fella.

“Net spend”, pointless scouse patter.

That’s nothing to do with anything. Guardiola is regarded as the top man, given that you thought he won European trophies with Bayern I’m not sure you’re clued up enough to be debating this fella.
His first trophy with Bayern was the 2013 UEFA Super Cup.

Jordan on Talksport and others have echoesd these fiscal numbers too.

Mate Liverpool pay a player £400k per week and just signed a striker for £85m. Plucky little scousers indeed.

And let's not forget - that was Gerrard's players & team that started in the Europa League final - no-one else's - he should get enormous credit for that.

I realise that many will say GVB got us there, and we'll never know if Gerrard would have done it, but still, the starting 11 was Gerrard's.
So should Gerrard get the blame for "his" team's arse collapsing in the league last season too? I mean if that's the route we're going down it's only fair. He was quick to run off and let McCallum take the heat for "his" team getting shagged rotten by an absolutely terrible Hibs team at Hampden again too.

The chances of Gerrard navigating the Dortmund, Red Star and Leipzig ties are practically nil. He nearly had us papped out in the group stages last year.

I don't think people realise just how much of a step up tactically Van Bronckhorst is in Europe and how much it helps to have a calm, level-headed operator in charge who is capable of making competent tactical changes when things aren't going to plan.

Unless Gerrard improves as a manager dramatically or Liverpool shit the bed completely then there is no chance he follows Klopp into that job. Rightly or wrongly, whatever credit he gets for winning the league in Scotland will be out the window as far as England is concerned if he continues the current trajectory at Villa.

I loved Gerrard as our manager but now he's gone it's easier to be objective because it wasn't all brilliant. He is extremely stubborn, one dimensional, and he can't change games if the plan isn't working. He's an old-fashioned style figurehead manager, he needs to be more because the longer he is retired the less pull he will have just because he is Steven Gerrard.

His first trophy with Bayern was the 2013 UEFA Super Cup.

Jordan on Talksport and others have echoesd these fiscal numbers too.
No ones giving a shit about the super cup for which all the heavy lifting is done in the previous year’s CL, a serious European competition, not a one off game between the winners of two different competitions in two different levels.

But to refer to that post, no, you really couldn’t put forward an argument for how he’s only won two trophies fairly. It would be comical to see you try though.

I don't begrudge him in any way. He brought us 55 and brought a level of respectability back to Rangers and Scottish Football on the European scene.

Will always be disappointed and let down by the hypocrisy of the timing when he left us.

Couldn't care less about some bang average EPL club. They are meaningless in the grand scheme.

The Villa support really like Mings and he’s respected in the dressing room.
Bournemouth’s second goal was a free header for Moore, which Mings (6ft 5) would have probably stopped.
Gerrard’s decision to drop him has backfired so far.
Fair enough but I did think there was talk about how crap he’d become and that he shouldn’t even be in the England squad. (This was around the Euros time) so you’d think if villa fans have aspirations for Europe they’d be more in agreement to it in the hope he’d get back to old ways or better player coming in. (With what you say though it could be they’ve replaced him with worse!).

So should Gerrard get the blame for "his" team's arse collapsing in the league last season too? I mean if that's the route we're going down it's only fair. He was quick to run off and let McCallum take the heat for "his" team getting shagged rotten by an absolutely terrible Hibs team at Hampden again too.

The chances of Gerrard navigating the Dortmund, Red Star and Leipzig ties are practically nil. He nearly had us papped out in the group stages last year.

I don't think people realise just how much of a step up tactically Van Bronckhorst is in Europe and how much it helps to have a calm, level-headed operator in charge who is capable of making competent tactical changes when things aren't going to plan.

Unless Gerrard improves as a manager dramatically or Liverpool shit the bed completely then there is no chance he follows Klopp into that job. Rightly or wrongly, whatever credit he gets for winning the league in Scotland will be out the window as far as England is concerned if he continues the current trajectory at Villa.

I loved Gerrard as our manager but now he's gone it's easier to be objective because it wasn't all brilliant. He is extremely stubborn, one dimensional, and he can't change games if the plan isn't working. He's an old-fashioned style figurehead manager, he needs to be more because the longer he is retired the less pull he will have just because he is Steven Gerrard.
Have to agree with this, for the simple reason that Gio is willing to be flexible and make in-game changes depending on how the game is unfolding.

For some though, they can’t see past the league title.

If Gio fails to win it this season Europe will be a distant memory and calls for his head will come thick and fast.

I wasn't comparing GVB to Gerrard, or talking up Gerrard's future trajectory, but simply stating the facts about the EL final starting 11 - Gerrard's players, Gerrard's team.

You seem convinced that Gerrard wouldn't have got us to the final, or indeed past Dortmund, you may be right, but we'll never know. Again the facts are that GVB got us there - credit where it's due, together with a cup win that Gerrard couldn't manage.

I will follow Gerrard's career with interest as he's an ex-Ger, and it's obvious he's got his work cut out at Villa, but TBH am fully focussed on what GVB will do for us this season, as he's reshaped the squad it's becoming more his team now - let's see how he goes.

It’s only the 2nd match of his full first season tomorrow ffs.

If he fails then Scottish football looks as shite as everyone in England and Europe says it is and anyone can win the league with us.

I wasn't comparing GVB to Gerrard, or talking up Gerrard's future trajectory, but simply stating the facts about the EL final starting 11 - Gerrard's players, Gerrard's team.

You seem convinced that Gerrard wouldn't have got us to the final, or indeed past Dortmund, you may be right, but we'll never know. Again the facts are that GVB got us there - credit where it's due, together with a cup win that Gerrard couldn't manage.

I will follow Gerrard's career with interest as he's an ex-Ger, and it's obvious he's got his work cut out at Villa, but TBH am fully focussed on what GVB will do for us this season, as he's reshaped the squad it's becoming more his team now - let's see how he goes.

I’m a massive Gerrard fan but I agree this is probably right.

On the other hand though, I think Gerrard would’ve won us the league last season.

Both managers have their strengths and weaknesses but the constant need for some to talk Gerrard down all the time is bizarre to me.

Good win today, hopefully see the start of many.
I see his brains only managed a 2-2 draw with qpr.
Difficult one for the armchair mangers on here to describe how a draw is better than a win.

On the other hand though, I think Gerrard would’ve won us the league last season.

Both managers have their strengths and weaknesses but the constant need for some to talk Gerrard down all the time is bizarre to me.
I find it mental, and a bit tragic.

Yes the way he left did leave a slightly bitter taste but we got a very good repla.

Ultimately, look at the state of us when he joined compared to when he left, it was night and day. Especially given we were always being outspent by the filth.

I’ll always have fond memories of the man

What a load of shite

He dropped nine points in the first eleven league games and you think he was winning us the league?

Very probably but according to some on this thread today's game was a big pressure game as he'd have been under pressure if he failed to win today.
It was a pressure game and Villa played well, but watching Everton they will struggle big time this season.
Mings is a rotten defender and will cost Gerrard.

Yes as we had a healthy lead in the league and Celtic hadn't beaten us for over 2 years, he'd have definitely won us the league.
Your unwavering cheerleading for Gerrard is admirable but, ‘definitely’ won us the league?

Nobody knows that for certain, but people become so convinced by their own opinions they often can’t see past them.

My opinion of Gerrard is that he was fabulous for the club, transforming our mentality, giving us back respectability in Europe and unforgettably delivering 55. I’ll be forever grateful to him for that and disappointed as I was when he left for Villa, I never really held it against him.

But, I also doubt he’s going to deliver the success Villa and their fans are likely to want. I suspect mid table is probably about the best he’ll manage and I don’t think that’s going to be acceptable two or three years down the line.

It’s certainly not definite though ;)

Your unwavering cheerleading for Gerrard is admirable but, ‘definitely’ won us the league?

Nobody knows that for certain, but people become so convinced by their own opinions they often can’t see past them.

My opinion of Gerrard is that he was fabulous for the club, transforming our mentality, giving us back respectability in Europe and unforgettably delivering 55. I’ll be forever grateful to him for that and disappointed as I was when he left for Villa, I never really held it against him.

But, I also doubt he’s going to deliver the success Villa and their fans are likely to want. I suspect mid table is probably about the best he’ll manage and I don’t think that’s going to be acceptable two or three years down the line.

It’s certainly not definite though ;)
My opinion is that he'd have won us the league based on the fact that he had Celtics number and they hadn't beaten us in over 2 years although you're correct it's not definite that he'd have won the league.

I find it mental, and a bit tragic.

Yes the way he left did leave a slightly bitter taste but we got a very good repla.

Ultimately, look at the state of us when he joined compared to when he left, it was night and day. Especially given we were always being outspent by the filth.

I’ll always have fond memories of the man

I keep saying that the job Gerrard done in his 3 years in charge is probably (arguably) the best 3 year period in our entire history.

To take us from finishing 3rd twice in a row to winning the league and all the European success within three years was incredible.

He dropped nine points in the first eleven league games and you think he was winning us the league?

Gerrard had us 4 points clear when he left and had us on our longest unbeaten run in old firm games for 20+ years.

I can tell you for a fact Gerrard wouldn’t have had us 3-0 down at half time at Parkhead in February.

The mentally challengeds would’ve been lucky to score 3 goals against us in a season when Gerrard was manager let alone score 3 in a half.

He wasn’t found wanting in the OF games, but he did make a mess by drawing games against the pish in the league.
I don’t think he would have won the title for us last year.

Based on what if Celtic couldn't beat us.
For arguments sake, if we drew all the OF games and they won the rest then we would not have won it.
It’s all ifs and buts, all we know is that he bailed, we didn’t win it but I am far happier with what we have now.

Based on what if Celtic couldn't beat us.
Based on the fact that, 55 season apart, he had a track record of draws against the lower teams. Whereas whether you like to admit it or not, the run that mob went on from just before Xmas through to the end of the season won them the league.
Under Gerrard, we had dropped points at home to hearts, Motherwell and Aberdeen and away to Dundee United. What makes you so sure that particular trend would have been bucked at some point?
Again, like other posters have said, it’s not a go at Gerrard, it’s an observation as to what we saw on the pitch for 2 and a half or the 3 and a half seasons he spent with us

He wasn’t found wanting in the OF games, but he did make a mess by drawing games against the pish in the league.
I don’t think he would have won the title for us last year.

How was Gio’s record when it comes to draws against the pish in the league last season? Especially between January and March?

Based on the fact that, 55 season apart, he had a track record of draws against the lower teams. Whereas whether you like to admit it or not, the run that mob went on from just before Xmas through to the end of the season won them the league.
Under Gerrard, we had dropped points at home to hearts, Motherwell and Aberdeen and away to Dundee United. What makes you so sure that particular trend would have been bucked at some point?
Again, like other posters have said, it’s not a go at Gerrard, it’s an observation as to what we saw on the pitch for 2 and a half or the 3 and a half seasons he spent with us

That’s because the team/players he had in his first 18 months just weren’t good enough to win consistently and/or win the league.

Gerrard was drawing with said teams with guys like Flanagan, Halliday, Koulibaly and Candeias in his team. Gio was drawing with exactly the same teams with a squad who were the current league champions and made a European final.

Incredible rewriting of what Gerrard achieved going on by some.

Perspective is everything and he was the exact man needed at the most crucial of turning points. Without him there would be no 55, no European rampages, no players like Kent/Aribo/Goldson and now Tillman/Lawrence.

Gio has done very well to build on the foundations in place but make no mistake it wouldnt have happened without Gerrard, his connections and his personal skillset.

The lack of trophies vs what couldve been won is an utter irrelevance since what we needed was a total rebuild on and off the pitch. Thats what he achieved at a time when Rangers were facing continual mediocrity.

Aston Villa are a great fit for him and he has already improved them a lot. A top-half finish in the EPL would be a sensational achievement considering the clubs hes competing with to get it.

Hes bound for bigger and better things than Villa but theyre the right club at the right time for him, just as Rangers were.

His departure was a jolt and caused temporary upset but look at what unfolded thereafter and where we are now.

He should have nothing but best wishes from Rangers supporters and be welcomed back at Ibrox anytime.

Stevie G Loyal

Incredible rewriting of what Gerrard achieved going on by some.

Perspective is everything and he was the exact man needed at the most crucial of turning points. Without him there would be no 55, no European rampages, no players like Kent/Aribo/Goldson and now Tillman/Lawrence.

Gio has done very well to build on the foundations in place but make no mistake it wouldnt have happened without Gerrard, his connections and his personal skillset.

The lack of trophies vs what couldve been won is an utter irrelevance since what we needed was a total rebuild on and off the pitch. Thats what he achieved at a time when Rangers were facing continual mediocrity.

Aston Villa are a great fit for him and he has already improved them a lot. A top-half finish in the EPL would be a sensational achievement considering the clubs hes competing with to get it.

Hes bound for bigger and better things than Villa but theyre the right club at the right time for him, just as Rangers were.

His departure was a jolt and caused temporary upset but look at what unfolded thereafter and where we are now.

He should have nothing but best wishes from Rangers supporters and be welcomed back at Ibrox anytime.

Stevie G Loyal

I agree with everything you’ve said apart from this one point.

I don’t think Villa are the right club for him at all and I don’t think his style of coaching/management blends well with a mid table team.

I think Gerrard is at his best when he’s working under pressure, when he needs to win every game and any dropped points are considered a failure.

I understand why he went to Villa, he was promised a lot by their owners, but the truth is that as much as Villa talk about wanting to challenge at the top end of the table, they would be delighted with a solid mid table finish every year.

Back