Gerrard since joining Villa

Incredible rewriting of what Gerrard achieved going on by some.

Perspective is everything and he was the exact man needed at the most crucial of turning points. Without him there would be no 55, no European rampages, no players like Kent/Aribo/Goldson and now Tillman/Lawrence.

Gio has done very well to build on the foundations in place but make no mistake it wouldnt have happened without Gerrard, his connections and his personal skillset.

The lack of trophies vs what couldve been won is an utter irrelevance since what we needed was a total rebuild on and off the pitch. Thats what he achieved at a time when Rangers were facing continual mediocrity.

Aston Villa are a great fit for him and he has already improved them a lot. A top-half finish in the EPL would be a sensational achievement considering the clubs hes competing with to get it.

Hes bound for bigger and better things than Villa but theyre the right club at the right time for him, just as Rangers were.

His departure was a jolt and caused temporary upset but look at what unfolded thereafter and where we are now.

He should have nothing but best wishes from Rangers supporters and be welcomed back at Ibrox anytime.

Stevie G Loyal
How anyone can disagree with this is beyond me

I agree with everything you’ve said apart from this one point.

I don’t think Villa are the right club for him at all and I don’t think his style of coaching/management blends well with a mid table team.

I think Gerrard is at his best when he’s working under pressure, when he needs to win every game and any dropped points are considered a failure.

I understand why he went to Villa, he was promised a lot by their owners, but the truth is that as much as Villa talk about wanting to challenge at the top end of the table, they would be delighted with a solid mid table finish every year.
Timing is everything and they were ripe to be improved to a noticeable degree just in time for other jobs likely appearing, eg Liverpool or England.

Agreed it’s debatable given the EPL is so competitive and it could knock his reputation if it all goes pear shaped but he’s got mega confidence in himself and the highest of Sporting Standards which will serve him and Villa well.

Looking at their direct rivals for Top 10 to 5th they seem to be regressing mainly so it’s looking good for Stevie G.

His success owes much to Rangers as equally as ours does to him.

I understand some Bears didn’t like his exit and I wouldn’t argue the toss on that but I cannot understand or agree with those who want him to do poorly or cannot give him credit where it’s due.

I think Gerrard is at his best when he’s working under pressure, when he needs to win every game and any dropped points are considered a failure.
I’m not sure how you can make that statement in good faith, considering you have only seen him manage Rangers previous to Villa at senior level.

It was a pressure game and Villa played well, but watching Everton they will struggle big time this season.
Mings is a rotten defender and will cost Gerrard.
The crazy thing is he has actually improved since Gerrard arrived. Not good enough though for sure.

I’m not sure how you can make that statement in good faith, considering you have only seen him manage Rangers previous to Villa at senior level.

Because the guy took over us after we’d finished third two years in a row and had three years to build a team to win 55 and stop their 10 in a row which he managed (unbeaten season too).

I don’t understand why we’re trying to rewrite history and pretend there was no pressure on him when he was our manager.

Based on the fact that, 55 season apart, he had a track record of draws against the lower teams. Whereas whether you like to admit it or not, the run that mob went on from just before Xmas through to the end of the season won them the league.
Under Gerrard, we had dropped points at home to hearts, Motherwell and Aberdeen and away to Dundee United. What makes you so sure that particular trend would have been bucked at some point?
Again, like other posters have said, it’s not a go at Gerrard, it’s an observation as to what we saw on the pitch for 2 and a half or the 3 and a half seasons he spent with us
You could also look at the fact that in his entire time as manager his Rangers team never capitulated the way we did in January. Gerrard whether individuals like it or not took us through an undefeated record breaking league campaign to win us our 55th title and stopping the other mob of achieving 10iar.

The crazy thing is he has actually improved since Gerrard arrived. Not good enough though for sure.
Looked a bombscare even yesterday and Everton never really caused them many problems, Missed an easy header that fell to the feet of one of the Everton players in the box but he also f.ucked it up.

My opinion is that he'd have won us the league based on the fact that he had Celtics number and they hadn't beaten us in over 2 years although you're correct it's not definite that he'd have won the league.
So celtic wouldn't have beat us at all last season if we'd kept Gerrard?

That is nonsense.

You could also look at the fact that in his entire time as manager his Rangers team never capitulated the way we did in January. Gerrard whether individuals like it or not took us through an undefeated record breaking league campaign to win us our 55th title and stopping the other mob of achieving 10iar.
Not in an individual OF game but they certainly capitulated in league campaigns and cup games. It would be great if OF games alone dictated the destination of the title, sadly they don’t.

I agree with everything you’ve said apart from this one point.

I don’t think Villa are the right club for him at all and I don’t think his style of coaching/management blends well with a mid table team.

I understand why he went to Villa, he was promised a lot by their owners, but the truth is that as much as Villa talk about wanting to challenge at the top end of the table, they would be delighted with a solid mid table finish every year.
Agree

That's why I don't think Villa will really effect his chances on getting the liverpool job.

He will thrive more at liverpool purely because of the pressure and demands, and his heart will be 100% in it. He already proved he can handle pressure and demands at Rangers.

Being at a team where the fans are basically saying "Hey we'll be happy with a draw, or a narrow lose, just dont make us look stupid.. please?" isn't Gerrard style at all and that has to have a knock on effect. Being at villa is just a checkbox so he can say "Hey look I can come to the Premier league and not get battered every game. Rangers wasn't a fluke." But beyond that I don't think it'll have much baring on wether he gets Liverpool job or not.

In the 19/20 season after January in nine games, we got beat by Hearts, Kilmarnock and Hamilton and drew with St Johnstone and Aberdeen.
We only won against St Mirren, ross county, Hibs and Livingston.

So celtic wouldn't have beat us at all last season if we'd kept Gerrard?

That is nonsense.
Frankly, I don't think they would have. His record against Celtic was unbelievable to be honest, given the situations of both teams.

Gio fucked up the piggery game, Gerrard would never have done that last season - he done it once, that game after 9 men vs ufa and he was slaughtered for it - just as Gio was. Gerrard never once played so defensive again. I actually said in another thread I believe that game was the making of Gerrard and the reason we never once shy'd away in Europe and just went for it - He knew the standards and knew sitting back wouldn't be accepted under no circumstances.

There's no guarantee we would have won all old firms last season with Gerrard, but I'd be extremely confident in not losing any. He had their number to a T.

Frankly, I don't think they would have. His record against Celtic was unbelievable to be honest, given the situations of both teams.

Gio fucked up the piggery game, Gerrard would never have done that last season - he done it once, that game after 9 men vs ufa and he was slaughtered for it - just as Gio was. Gerrard never once played so defensive again. I actually said in another thread I believe that game was the making of Gerrard and the reason we never once shy'd away in Europe and just went for it - He knew the standards and knew sitting back wouldn't be accepted under no circumstances.

There's no guarantee we would have won all old firms last season with Gerrard, but I'd be extremely confident in not losing any. He had their number to a T.
Na I don't agree at all. The wheels were coming off under Gerrard last season.

With Gerrard as one dimensional as he is I don't think he would have done anything different with the team at Parkhead or Ibrox. He was also up against Neil Lennon for those 2 years. The fat man has clearly got more of a tune out of the scum than TLB.

In the 19/20 season after January in nine games, we got beat by Hearts, Kilmarnock and Hamilton and drew with St Johnstone and Aberdeen.
We only won against St Mirren, ross county, Hibs and Livingston.

Do you know why this happened though? Because we were playing guys like Flanagan, Halliday, Katic, Stewart, Kamberi and Edmundson on a regular basis.

There’s a lot of selective amnesia in a section of our fans and they forget just how poor our squad depth was for 18/24 months after Gerrard took over.

Gio basically went on a run like that last season after the winter break with a squad that were good enough to make a European final.

With Gerrard as one dimensional as he is I don't think he would have done anything different with the team at Parkhead or Ibrox. He was also up against Neil Lennon for those 2 years. The fat man has clearly got more of a tune out of the scum than TLB.

Gerrard won old firm games against Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu.

We may not have went unbeaten v Celtic last season if Gerrard was manager but I can tell you for sure that we wouldn’t have been 3-0 down at half time in the game after the winter break.

Lennon spent the guts of £35m in his final 18 months there.

Let's not rewrite history and pretend Gerrard was up against a shit Celtic team. He wasn't.

Gerrard won old firm games against Rodgers, Lennon and Postecoglu.

We may not have went unbeaten v Celtic last season if Gerrard was manager but I can tell you for sure that we wouldn’t have been 3-0 down at half time in the game after the winter break.
The 2 year run started against Lennon and ended against the fat man, whom he faced one time.

Lennon spent the guts of £35m in his final 18 months there.

Let's not rewrite history and pretend Gerrard was up against a shit Celtic team. He wasn't.
And spent it poorly, they finished the season on 77 points the season of 55.

He was though. We had 1 win against them in the 19/20 season and then 4 wins and 1 draw the season they collapsed and finished with 77 points, hence the 19-21 2 year unbeaten run.

He was though. We had 1 win against them in the 19/20 season and then 4 wins and 1 draw the season they collapsed and finished with 77 points, hence the 19-21 2 year unbeaten run.

He also beat them twice in 4 games in 18/19 when we had spent the previous two season being ridden rotten by them.

Gerrard had their number. From day one he went toe to toe with them despite them having a monumental head start on him.

The 2 year run started against Lennon and ended against the fat man, whom he faced one time.

Are we now saying it wasn’t that impressive and it didn’t really matter because Lennon was the manager for the majority of it?

Gerrard beat Postecoglu in the only meeting they had. Gio has beaten him once in 4 games and even that was after extra time.

He also beat them twice in 4 games in 18/19 when we had spent the previous two season being ridden rotten by them.
So he had a 50% win record against a good celtic team yet we would have remained unbeaten against them last season when they won the league? I don't see it tbh.

So he had a 50% win record against a good celtic team yet we would have remained unbeaten against them last season when they won the league? I don't see it tbh.

No, he had a 50% win record against a better Celtic team whilst he was building his own team from scratch.

No, he had a 50% win record against a better Celtic team whilst he was building his own team from scratch.
And the team he built stalled over the summer after 55, hence why draws to Motherwell, Hearts and Aberdeen at home happened and why we were lagging in our easiest group in the Europa under him.

What was the purpose of your reply then?

Were you just stating a fact that I already knew?
I was stating why I didn't think we'd remain unbeaten against them to win the league under Gerrard, if he'd stayed.

Or did you miss that in your quest to be offended?

Mate he(kinda..) beat fat man in August 21

Gary mac led us, mccrorie in goals and balogun at right back.

And if you remember that game they never really threatened us at all and spent most of the game passing it about their back 4 - they struggled to even get past our midfield.

Mate he(kinda..) beat fat man in August 21

Gary mac led us, mccrorie in goals and balogun at right back.

And if you remember that game they never really threatened us at all and spent most of the game passing it about their back 4 - they struggled to even get past our midfield.
He did. They (kinda) met once and he won once. We ended up having another 4 fixtures after that.

Revisionism there. Eduard missed a sitter and McCrorie pulled off 2 great stops to deny the ladyboy up front.

I was stating why I didn't think we'd remain unbeaten against them to win the league under Gerrard, if he'd stayed.

Or did you miss that in your quest to be offended?

We may not have remained unbeaten v them for the rest of the season but do you think his results would’ve been better or worse than Gio’s?

Do you think a Gerrard team would ever be 3-0 down at half time at Parkhead in an old firm game?

We may not have remained unbeaten v them for the rest of the season but do you think his results would’ve been better or worse than Gio’s?

Do you think a Gerrard team would ever be 3-0 down at half time at Parkhead in an old firm game?
I don't think Gerrard staying would have changed anything regarding the old firm games.

I don't think we would have won the league if he stayed, got to the Europa final or even won the cup if I'm being completely honest.

Lennon’s a shite manager anyway, unless people want to start pretending otherwise now just for the sake of Gerrard’s rep. His real feat was beating Rodger’s side, that was brilliant and it felt like a huge moment. Sadly we fell to pieces when we returned after the break.

I’m not interested in looking at how bad we were before his arrival though, the 3 managers before him had no business being Rangers managers and any semi competent manager would have bought better and had us finishing second more or less the minute we returned to the SPL.

Lennon’s a shite manager anyway, unless people want to start pretending otherwise now just for the sake of Gerrard’s rep. His real feat was beating Rodger’s side, that was brilliant and it felt like a huge moment. Sadly we fell to pieces when we returned after the break.

I’m not interested in looking at how bad we were before his arrival though, the 3 managers before him had no business being Rangers managers and any semi competent manager would have bought better and had us finishing second more or less the minute we returned to the SPL.
Absolutely spot on.

Do you know why this happened though? Because we were playing guys like Flanagan, Halliday, Katic, Stewart, Kamberi and Edmundson on a regular basis.

There’s a lot of selective amnesia in a section of our fans and they forget just how poor our squad depth was for 18/24 months after Gerrard took over.

Gio basically went on a run like that last season after the winter break with a squad that were good enough to make a European final.
There's also a lot of just made-up nonsense on Gerrard like the poster I replied to had done.
I just pointed that out, I wondered how anyone could not remember those results as they were so bad.
I'm certainly not forgetting anything about either manager but we have to point out results as they were at the time not try to gloss over them.

Not in an individual OF game but they certainly capitulated in league campaigns and cup games. It would be great if OF games alone dictated the destination of the title, sadly they don’t.
I'd disagree generally who gets the most points in old firm games generally win the league.

I'd disagree generally who gets the most points in old firm games generally win the league.
His first season we won two and lost two, we lost the league by a landslide. The second season we won 3, lost 1, we still lost the league by a landslide. 3rd season we won 3 lost 1 again but this time won the league.

Last season we both won an OF and the other 2 were draws. Lost the league. So disagree for the sake of protecting Gerrard, but that’s simply not how it was during his tenure here. But if you really believe we had a good chance of coming back in that second season where we were in free fall then you’ll believe anything bud.

I don't think Gerrard staying would have changed anything regarding the old firm games.

I don't think we would have won the league if he stayed, got to the Europa final or even won the cup if I'm being completely honest.

You really don’t rate Gerrard at all, do you?

There's also a lot of just made-up nonsense on Gerrard like the poster I replied to had done.
I just pointed that out, I wondered how anyone could not remember those results as they were so bad.
I'm certainly not forgetting anything about either manager but we have to point out results as they were at the time not try to gloss over them.

There’s an argument to be made that the covid shutdown might’ve saved Gerrards job after that Hamilton defeat at Ibrox. We were in total free fall and if it continued to the end of that season then he could’ve been in trouble.

We collapsed in those seasons because we had a squad of players who just weren’t good enough to win the league at the time.

Gio’s squad last season was more than good enough to win the league and his collapse was eerily similar to the others but for some reason people seem to criticise the Gerrard ones more.

His first season we won two and lost two, we lost the league by a landslide. The second season we won 3, lost 1, we still lost the league by a landslide. 3rd season we won 3 lost 1 again but this time won the league.

Last season we both won an OF and the other 2 were draws. Lost the league. So disagree for the sake of protecting Gerrard, but that’s simply not how it was during his tenure here. But if you really believe we had a good chance of coming back in that second season where we were in free fall then you’ll believe anything bud.

We won 1, mentally challengeds won 2 and the other was a draw last season.

You really don’t rate Gerrard at all, do you?

There’s an argument to be made that the covid shutdown might’ve saved Gerrards job after that Hamilton defeat at Ibrox. We were in total free fall and if it continued to the end of that season then he could’ve been in trouble.

We collapsed in those seasons because we had a squad of players who just weren’t good enough to win the league at the time.

Gio’s squad last season was more than good enough to win the league and his collapse was eerily similar to the others but for some reason people seem to criticise the Gerrard ones more.
Yes, I agree we had good enough players to win the league last season we just drew far too many games, after January, we continued a slump which we had seen before under Gerrard.

We won 1, mentally challengeds won 2 and the other was a draw last season.
You’re right, I’d included the SC game in error. Still we didn’t lose the league because we didn’t have a good enough OF record, we lost it because right from the get go we chucked points away to the rest of the dross in the league.

Yes, I agree we had good enough players to win the league last season we just drew far too many games, after January, we continued a slump which we had seen before under Gerrard.

The idea that the slump in form after the winter break was Gerrards fault is quite mental.

You’re right, I’d included the SC game in error. Still we didn’t lose the league because we didn’t have a good enough OF record, we lost it because right from the get go we chucked points away to the rest of the dross in the league.

If we’d won the last two old firm games of the season we’d have won the league.

Back