Gerrard: The number 9 shirt is Defoe's to lose and praise for the team

Recoba

Official Ticketer
SPORT
Steven Gerrard insists Jermain Defoe is Rangers' first choice striker as he fires Alfredo Morelos warning
Defoe took his tally to seven for the season with a clinical goal against Hearts as he continues to impress in the light blue shirt.

Steven Gerrard says Rangers ' number nine slot is Jermain Defoe's to lose after watching the veteran hitman send his side on their way to victory over Hearts.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
The 36-year-old fired the Light Blues ahead at Tynecastle, with Ryan Jack and Nikola Katic also finding the net.

Rangers' 3-1 win means Celtic can no longer wrap up the Ladbrokes Premiership title at Hibernian on Sunday but all Gerrard cared about was his side's "near-perfect performance".
The only downside for the former Liverpool skipper was Steven MacLean's late strike but the display of Defoe in particular left the manager purring.
READ MORE

The former England ace was starting for the third match running as Alfredo Morelos serves out a four-match ban following his red card in last month's Old Firm defeat.
But Gers have barely missed their top scorer during that time after racking up nine goals and three wins during the Colombian's absence.

Now Gerrard has warned Morelos he should not expect to walk straight back into the team after serving the final leg of his suspension against Aberdeen next week.

He said: "At times we have been too reliant on Alfredo but I'm not surprised by Jermain's performance. He's got unbelievable quality and if you play a system that suits Jermain, he will get you goals.

(Image: PA)
"You can tell defenders are scared to get too close to him because of his quality. He's contributing whether it's goals or assists. He's got the number nine shirt at the moment, it'll be interesting how he performs from now until the end of the season.
"It goes for anyone, not just in the number nine position. I don't pick on reputation and name. The first six months of the season Alfredo was in that good form it just made sense to bring him back after being out, there wasn't really anyone challenging for that number nine.
"There's a challenge there now. There's a player playing with high confidence, creating chances and scoring goals. That's the way Rangers should be, we should have options in that area - especially this area."
Gerrard was also delighted with his midfield three of Steve Davis, Jack and Glen Kamara.
It was former Dundee ace Kamara's pass that put Defoe through on 15 minutes, while Jack started and finished the move that brought the second just before half-time. Davis also had a hand in the third as Katic finished the game as a contest three minutes after the restart.

(Image: SNS Group)
"The midfield complement each other very well," he said. "There is a bit of everything in there.
"You've got Davis' quality and range of passing. You've got Kamara who's an absolute steal for £50,000, I can't believe we got him. He's going to be an incredible player if he keeps learning.
"And Jack has been my most consistent midfielder from the start of the season, I can't figure out why he doesn't get more Scotland caps. I can't understand that."
READ MORE
Rangers FC

I agree with him however the way our midfield are pressing having morelos about pressing the defence would really make us more dangerous. That's not defoes game he brings something different. Great run to take away the defender for Jack's goal today something I doubt morelos would have done

"And Jack has been my most consistent midfielder from the start of the season, I can't figure out why he doesn't get more Scotland caps. I can't understand that."

It’s because he plays for Rangers, it’s that simple
SG has let me down here, I thought he was a lot brighter than that. Or he's at the wind up.

Interesting re his comments about no one really challenging for the position until now. Makes you wonder what lafferty has been like in training etc

Because he plays for Rangers Steven.

Ryan Jack getting international caps raises his price. Scotlands footballing mafia wont allow Rangers players to have higher fees. Gerrard knows this and this is him getting yet another wee nugget out there for the press to nibble on. Trouble is, the journalists, Chris Jack aside, are too far in the pockets of those who despise us to do anything about it.

I’m glad someone agrees with me on RJ.

My mates can’t stand him and I have no idea why.
He’s a superb player mate, I’ve been banging on about it all season. I can’t understand the stick he gets sometimes, normally that he doesn’t offer anything in an attacking sense but he’s proved if he’s played further up the pitch he can contribute.

I think SG feels a bit let down by Alfie after sticking by him all season. It wouldn’t surprise me if he starts the last few matches on the bench.

And apart from anything else this also protects Alfie and the club from an injury before his big move . Sensible on all fronts really . I love Alfie and he deserves an ovation but I’d bring him on as a sub for the last game just for ten minutes in the last game at Ibrox .

I would just ask Alfie to play wide in the Candeias role, with Kent on the left and Defoe through the middle, and have a midfield of Davis, Kamara and Arfield.
Alfie needs to learn other tricks in his forward play, and the rest need to learn a discipline of playing without always using Alfie as a lazy ball from deep.
It can be done.

Simply justified. Alfie on the move to another league on the back of what he's done so far is a sign of the times.

The lad needs another season or two at the same level to justify the silly money we want. He fvcked up recently, even though it's easy to argue he's now a marked man in Scotland.

A striker who has proved himself way beyond Alfredo's abilities has come in and taken the lead...so it's up to the younger man to prove he's top dog. Good luck AM, but you owe us another season before you can look ahead.

As it should be.

On a side note. How much better do we look in this system, it’s very Liverpool like, the wide forwards playing tucked in, full backs playing wider, great ball retention by the midfield and that high press which has now got us 5 goals I think since we changed the system.

Much more confident for life post Morelos now (if it transpires that way)

Regardless of the 3 good games without Alfie, I'm desperate to see him back up front where, lets face it, he would have added significantly to his 29 goals.

The team has been more consistent and performed well since Alfies ban...and we thought there was no chance without him.
Interesting

The team have played better without Morelos. Not missed him at all.

Except for when results actually meant something and we couldn’t kick our own arses without him.

All fine and dandy now the leagues and cups are gone and pressure off. I wish I was able to turn a blind eye to what is an absolutely massive factor which should be considered when judging current performances, but I can’t.

Simply justified. Alfie on the move to another league on the back of what he's done so far is a sign of the times.

The lad needs another season or two at the same level to justify the silly money we want. He fvcked up recently, even though it's easy to argue he's now a marked man in Scotland.

A striker who has proved himself way beyond Alfredo's abilities has come in and taken the lead...so it's up to the younger man to prove he's top dog. Good luck AM, but you owe us another season before you can look ahead.

He’s already shown it mate. 29 goals when we were actually in the hunt for silverware, that tops wracking up the goals in what are essentially dead rubber games.

Yes I think Gerrard knows the reason he does not get selected by that mob but he is holding back from saying it.

Was he not called up for left back when wonderboy got injured?

Mate in terms of SPL players the last squad had:

4 players from Celtic (Bain, McGregor, Burke, Forrest)
2 players from Aberdeen (Shinnie and McKenna)
2 players from Kilmarnock (Findlay and O'Donnell)
1 player from Hibs (McNulty)
1 player from Hearts (Souttar)
1 player from Livingston (Kelly)
0 from Rangers

I mean come on. 1 player from Livingston? Livingston FFS. 0 from Rangers.

I know they play different positions but if muck like Marc McNulty, John Souttar and Stuart fecking Findlay can get in the Scotland squad but Jack can't - there's clearly something wrong with that picture.

0 from Rangers

I know they play different positions but if muck like Marc McNulty, John Souttar and Stuart fecking Findlay can get in the Scotland squad but Jack can't - there's clearly something wrong with that picture.
Some grim footballers in there right enough.

0 from Rangers

McNulty really does take the biscuit, absoloutely astounded he got on the pitch.

And long my it continue :))

He’s already shown it mate. 29 goals when we were actually in the hunt for silverware, that tops wracking up the goals in what are essentially dead rubber games.

I'm hinting at Us, Rangers, as an institution where young lads like Morelos spent more than couple of seasons making a name for themselves bfore.

Granted I appreciate where We are. For me though Rangers are bigger than what he'll move onto and I can't see why another season of 30+ goals isn't the best choice for both parties.

Have to say I was quite relieved when Morelos and Kent got suspended. Kept seeing people on here saying they by far our best players but thats not the case at all, we’ve badly lacked rotation this season and the opportunity given to Davis and Defoe has been grasped.

Last edited:
Back