Gerrard: The number 9 shirt is Defoe's to lose and praise for the team

I thought Jack was outstanding today.
When i see that midfield playing like that today i get angry about our inconsistency's this season.

It’s always a problem with inconsistency when you have the player turnover we had again close season.

Ironically, it’s only now that all the main prizes are out of our reach that I feel we are playing football that can and will deliver a consistent run of wins.

All of which augers really well for next season

Mate in terms of SPL players the last squad had:

4 players from Celtic (Bain, McGregor, Burke, Forrest)
2 players from Aberdeen (Shinnie and McKenna)
2 players from Kilmarnock (Findlay and O'Donnell)
1 player from Hibs (McNulty)
1 player from Hearts (Souttar)
1 player from Livingston (Kelly)
0 from Rangers

I mean come on. 1 player from Livingston? Livingston FFS. 0 from Rangers.

I know they play different positions but if muck like Marc McNulty, John Souttar and Stuart fecking Findlay can get in the Scotland squad but Jack can't - there's clearly something wrong with that picture.

That is horrific reading

Some absolute dung getting picked ahead of better Rangers

The fact Jack isn't in the Scotland squad doesn't surprise me remember the likes of mcarthur and Adam when he was playing for Blackpool liverpool and stoke on a weekly basis couldnt get a game. Bemusing

I agree in principal but think we also need to select players based on opposition.

If we continue to use this system and keep winning well I see the poets flooding midfield against us. And if that stops the supply to Defoe then he’ll be ineffectual, whereas Morelos can cause problems out of nothing because of his physique. Don’t know if Gerrard will trust him though.

I love the midfield of Davis-Jack-Kamara but I’d probably pick McCrorie for game against them.

No chance morelos will start again this season if Defoe is fit and rightly so he needs to be taught that ko player is bigger than Rangers

About 70 minutes into the game I was thinking I have never seen us so dominant away from home against one of the better teams. I then found myself getting really annoyed that more or less the same players lost so many points against Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmarnock.

Great to see that kind of appraisal of Jack, such an under-rated player. Defoe's goal was a great goal; a poorer striker could have it that too early but Defoe's timing was top class.

We have Defoe at at really late age. I would love to have seen him live playing at his peak. Really would have been a pleasure

0 from Rangers

I know they play different positions but if muck like Marc McNulty, John Souttar and Stuart fecking Findlay can get in the Scotland squad but Jack can't - there's clearly something wrong with that picture.
That's just the sfa bigotry at work. There's your headlines daily rhebel, "rangers players overlooked in sectarian scandal" Nah didn't think so.

He's got the shirt at the moment ..... it goes for anyone, not just in the number nine position ..... there's a challenge there now.

He said the same thing about the team that beat the mentally challengeds on December 29th 2018. The very next game, he dropped McCrorie and Candeias to accommodate Davis and Defoe - neither of whom were match sharp, even if they were match fit.

Genuinely puzzled at some of the praise Ryan Jack gets on here.

I counted 5 times in a row yesterday where he gave the ball away under no pressure.

Definitely need to improve.

What a lot of shite. First, i’d sell Morleos for double figures however the notion Defoe is or could be our no.1 striker is a fairytale. 2nd SG needs to learn when to speak and when not. Alfie knows he is no.1 until a personnel change. Threats of a 36 year old is going to steal your job isnt going to cut it.

What a lot of shite. First, i’d sell Morleos for double figures however the notion Defoe is or could be our no.1 striker is a fairytale. 2nd SG needs to learn when to speak and when not. Alfie knows he is no.1 until a personnel change. Threats of a 36 year old is going to steal your job isnt going to cut it.

I think he’s genuinely going to relegate Morelos to the bench from now on. I understand that he feels let down, but I personally don’t agree with that choice. Especially since he never really seemed to consider taking his adopted son Worrall out of the side when he was arsing up our chances of silverware and Alfie was keeping them alive.

I think he does need to take more care with what he says publicly, especially since a lot of fans hang on his every word. So when you berate Morelos or throw Barisic under the bus you’re effectively turning a portion of the support against these guys and subsequently making life even more difficult for them.

0 from Rangers

Why are you comparing a striker, and two centre halves to Ryan Jack? Completely irrelavent. We have no Scottish centre-halves or strikers

He said after the game on sky sports that today’s team and formation might not be the one he continues with for the rest of the season especially as he as certain personnel to return

Defoe's played himself into that position and getting better with each game, Morelos only has himself to blame for being out, and we are a better team now.
Another game that could have been five or six yesterday.

Except for when results actually meant something and we couldn’t kick our own arses without him.

All fine and dandy now the leagues and cups are gone and pressure off. I wish I was able to turn a blind eye to what is an absolutely massive factor which should be considered when judging current performances, but I can’t.

So if The Sheep and Filth scud us in the next few weeks will you be saying it's ok because the games dont mean anything or will you be critical?

We have been playing a 433 which hasn’t really worked at all against teams in the top 6.
We get over run in midfield, wide players isolated and Morelos has to do everything on his own.
We result in a lot of inaccurate punts up the park and hopeful crosses from our wide players to 1 person, Morelos.
Morelos is very good at doing this, but we all know his temperament isn’t sound. Defenders target him as they know he will retaliate and referees are looking to book him for challenges others might not get punished for.

Since playing the current formation we are playing a press which SG said he wanted us to do from the beginning and we are getting goals because of this.
Our defence is more aggressive with Katic and Flannagan and they don’t fanny about with the ball, they also get protection from Davis.
Arfield is a real pain for the opposition as the defence don’t know whether to mark him or whether a midfielder should.
Other teams are having to change their game to deal with him.
Up front we have a clever experienced striker who if you give him a decent chance will score.

Morelos is worth more money and probably a better player just now than Defoe but I don’t think Morelos can be trusted to keep the heid against Aberdeen especially. I also think our play has been better recently without him and we are seeing better teamwork and more players taking responsibility.

I would not change a winning team and Morelos will just have to come of the bench and do his job then.

A few years ago he was. He’s not now.
The way I see it, Defoe is a better/more clinical finisher and is very very unlikely to see red or rack up a string of yellows. Admittedly Alfie brings a lot to the team out with goals, hold up play and all that stuff but if we're being honest we've coped just fine without him so far. It's a hard one.

"And Jack has been my most consistent midfielder from the start of the season, I can't figure out why he doesn't get more Scotland caps. I can't understand that."

It’s because he plays for Rangers, it’s that simple
Because he goes into hiding in big games and only plays like that with little pressure.

He’s already shown it mate. 29 goals when we were actually in the hunt for silverware, that tops wracking up the goals in what are essentially dead rubber games.
Thing is, they are dead rubbers for a reason. We are only 8 points ahead because we have comfortably won our last 3 games - something we haven't been able to do against top 6 teams regularly enough since we have been in the top flight. We draw 2 of the last 3 games and we are struggling for 3rd. Alfie has potential, no doubt, but a player who misses a minimum of 10 games a season through suspension and who leaves you with 10 bodies for large parts of big games isn't cutting it at the top level.

Thing is, they are dead rubbers for a reason. We are only 8 points ahead because we have comfortably won our last 3 games - something we haven't been able to do against top 6 teams regularly enough since we have been in the top flight. We draw 2 of the last 3 games and we are struggling for 3rd. Alfie has potential, no doubt, but a player who misses a minimum of 10 games a season through suspension and who leaves you with 10 bodies for large parts of big games isn't cutting it at the top level.

That’s nonsense, AT LEAST two of those suspensions aren’t happening in any other league with him in any other colour of shirt.

Last edited:
The way I see it, Defoe is a better/more clinical finisher and is very very unlikely to see red or rack up a string of yellows. Admittedly Alfie brings a lot to the team out with goals, hold up play and all that stuff but if we're being honest we've coped just fine without him so far. It's a hard one.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but we’ve only coped in meaningless games with sides have nothing to play for. When it actually mattered, the team collapsed within him.

Incredible how that’s being completely overlooked by so many.

I agree with him however the way our midfield are pressing having morelos about pressing the defence would really make us more dangerous. That's not defoes game he brings something different. Great run to take away the defender for Jack's goal today something I doubt morelos would have done
Bang on the money

Hate to sound like a broken record, but we’ve only coped in meaningless games with sides have nothing to play for. When it actually mattered, the team collapsed within him.

Incredible how that’s being completely overlooked by so many.

9 men in Ufa didn't.

And thank feck because getting to the Europa League Group Stages was the achievement of the season and netted us 14mil.

And then nearly fecked it with an utterly ridiculous red in Russia.

Thought it was harsh personally. You don’t see many players sent off for complaining to the ref unless they’ve outright abused them.

Doesn’t change the fact we’d have gotten nowhere near that £14m without him, just like we’d probably be batting for 2nd or 3rd place right now without him.

Genuinely puzzled at some of the praise Ryan Jack gets on here.

I counted 5 times in a row yesterday where he gave the ball away under no pressure.

Definitely need to improve.
Says tavs da who can see golden boy doing no wrong.

14356"]That’s nonsense, AT LEAST two of those suspensions aren’t happening in any other league with him in any other colour of shirt.[/QUOTE]
Mate, i accept that he was harshly dealt with, no doubt. However, he continues to give refs decisions to make. He should have been sent off against the Tims at Ibrox for example. Accepting responsibility for his behaviour is important for Alfie - he misses too many games and it's not ref's fault all the time - he gets involved far too much and loses focus. He left us a huge uphill battle in Europe when he got sent off in Russia and he sold the jerseys against Celtic, 2 of our biggest games. Tell you what, it's all ifs and buts, but we scrape a win at piggery, or even a draw and we definitely have a chance in the league. I'll bet that Defoe doesn't get sent off - that kind of defeats the conspiracy argument.

Tin hat on

Ryan Jack can be upgraded on and that's what we should be trying to do. He was brilliant against hearts but easy to forget the other games he doesn't contribute enough.

Kamara is outstanding. Really like him. What a signing. Davis starting to get going now.

Arfield much better in the position next to Defoe.

Back