Gerrard time at Liverpool

Bishybear30

I honestly can see us going out there on Wednesday and getting a result.

That is mainly down to what I have witnessed for the past two seasons under Gerrard.

During his time at Liverpool, they won the odd cup and done well usually in Europe. They seemed to be able to mix it with the top teams in the EPL however, over a season always suffered bad results against the lower teams.

Really concerning comparison when you look at it as I genuinely think this lack of a winning edge and inability to raise it against shit in the league will never win us a league under him.

I genuinely hope he turns this around and wins it next season but I can’t see it happening now with his poor team selections, stubbornness with tactics and his visibly different reactions to games that some would deem less difficult or not so much showpiece.

Prove me wrong Steven and get us going please

I agree with you OP 100%
Most of the time Liverpool were out of the league very early on.

As daft as it sounds it seems to be ingrained in him. Hes almost never been in a full title race to the end.
It does sound daft what I’m saying, I know

I don’t think you can take anything from his playing career even though there are parallels in terms of being out of the title race early and doing better in European competition.

Ultimately what he did as a player is irrelevant to me. He’s only a winner as a manager when he actually wins things.

I agree with you OP 100%

As daft as it sounds it seems to be ingrained in him. Hes almost never been in a full title race to the end.
It’s not daft at all. It’s the truth that many on here won’t accept. He has no experience of winning a league title as a player or as a manager. Every time he’s been in the position to do so, he’s ultimately ended up in the side that’s bottled it.

He was a huge factor in Liverpool bottling it under Rodgers with his slip against Chelsea.

He’s the type of manager who’ll do well for spells of a season and pull out some big results (and win some cups probably), but struggle to get over the line in league titles.

Loads laughed at them appointing Lennon but it was the shrewdest move they’ve made post Rodgers. The guy knows how to win titles and is proving it again this year now that the going is getting tough. What’s Gerrard and his team doing? You guessed it... bottling it.

Btw, if we were to go on and win the Europa league then I’ll his face tattooed on my chest (I know that’s mentalist talk atm to even think we’ll get close to that).

He started in the first team as a young teenager with many flaws yet through grit,determination,desire and hard work went on to become one of the best midfielders in the world. I honestly believe he has that same desire to do the same as a manager.

It’s not daft at all. It’s the truth that many on here won’t accept. He has no experience of winning a league title as a player or as a manager. Every time he’s been in the position to do so, he’s ultimately ended up in the side that’s bottled it.

He was a huge factor in Liverpool bottling it under Rodgers with his slip against Chelsea.

He’s the type of manager who’ll do well for spells of a season and pull out some big results (and win some cups probably), but struggle to get over the line in league titles.

Loads laughed at them appointing Lennon but it was the shrewdest move they’ve made post Rodgers. The guy knows how to win titles and is proving it again this year now that the going is getting tough. What’s Gerrard and his team doing? You guessed it... bottling it.
That's a bit harsh to be fair because the only reason Liverpool were in a title race under Rodgers was largely due to Gerrard and Suarez that season. This is a guy that pretty much single handedly raised and lead his team to win a champions league final after being 3 nil down at half time and you think he's a bottle merchant.

That's a bit harsh to be fair because the only reason Liverpool were in a title race under Rodgers was largely due to Gerrard and Suarez that season. This is a guy that pretty much single handedly raised and lead his team to win a champions league final after being 3 nil down at half time and you think he's a bottle merchant.
He was the driving force in that Liverpool team and Suarez added some magic. As a player he was on a par with Scholes and Lampard who won more domestic trophies but they just happened to play in better teams. A bit like Alan Shearer.... absolutely top drawer and who should have more medals to show for it.

It was Suarez, it wasn’t Gerrard if we’re being honest, we saw the way they tanked after Dracula left. To be honest Gerrard himself has had moments in big league games where he hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory, and it’s hard to forget that when he really did have a serious chance to get a league title he was the one who instigated their stumble at the final hurdle against Chelsea.

It’s irrelevant anyway, how great he was as a player and what he achieved then will have no bearing on what he does as a manager, and right now he’s looking like a coach who simply can’t find the answers to the same problems he that plagued him last season.

It was Suarez, it wasn’t Gerrard if we’re being honest, we saw the way they tanked after Dracula left. To be honest Gerrard himself has had moments in big league games where he hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory, and it’s hard to forget that when he really did have a serious chance to get a league title he was the one who instigated their stumble at the final hurdle against Chelsea.

It’s irrelevant anyway, how great he was as a player and what he achieved then will have no bearing on what he does as a manager, and right now he’s looking like a coach who simply can’t find the answers to the same problems he that plagued him last season.
You're at it Gerrard almost single handedly won trophies and numerous games for Liverpool as a player and at his peak he was one of the very best. This spell we are going through and the pressure he's now under will actually be good for his development as a coach.

You're at it Gerrard almost single handedly won trophies and numerous games for Liverpool as a player and at his peak he was one of the very best. This spell we are going through and the pressure he's now under will actually be good for his development as a coach.

I think you’re at it, and I think you’re speaking like a massive Liverpool and Gerrard (the player) fan.

Gerrard did win numerous games for Liverpool as their sole driving force of that there is no doubt, he also faltered in many and wasn’t anything close to being the main man to pushing to towards that title when Suarez was there.

Honestly, how can fucking it up the exact same way twice in a row, and cracking to the point of chucking players under the bus be seen as a positive in his development? If it shows anything it shows a complete lack of development. There’s not a doubt in my mind that if the boss was anyone else you’d have a very different outlook on this.

I think you’re at it, and I think you’re speaking like a massive Liverpool and Gerrard (the player) fan.

Gerrard did win numerous games for Liverpool as their sole driving force of that there is no doubt, he also faltered in many and wasn’t anything close to being the main man to pushing to towards that title when Suarez was there.

Honestly, how can fucking it up the exact same way twice in a row, and cracking to the point of chucking players under the bus be seen as a positive in his development? If it shows anything it shows a complete lack of development. There’s not a doubt in my mind that if the boss was anyone else you’d have a very different outlook on this.
We'll have to agree to disagree on Gerrard the player. Gerrard as a manager is coming under major scrutiny at the moment and deservedly so but I think this pressure will stand him in good stead in his career in management. He will learn more about himself and his players in adversity than he ever will when everything is going great. I have watched the embarrassment of Progres Neiderkorn I also attended the game where Celtic racked up their biggest win at Ibrox in 50 bloody years. I can see we have improved massively under Gerrard and that's why I am backing him. Obviously if he can't mount a serious title challenge he'll eventually be replaced but just now I believe his achievements as our manager should earn him more time. I also don't think for one minute the board are even considering replacing him after just giving him a contract extension.

If Thursday night can't get us going then I'm not sure what you're expecting Wednesday can achieve. It might give us confidence for knockout football with the Scottish cup now a must and I say might

I’d say it was more down to Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge that season but Gerrard played his part, yes. Still slipped against Chelsea and the rest was history.

Granted re the CL final, but it’s like I said in my original post, he’ll win some big one off matches and lift a few trophies along the way. There’s a difference between being able to win a one off match to lift a trophy vs being able to deliver consistently over the course of a league campaign.

I honestly can see us going out there on Wednesday and getting a result.

That is mainly down to what I have witnessed for the past two seasons under Gerrard.

During his time at Liverpool, they won the odd cup and done well usually in Europe. They seemed to be able to mix it with the top teams in the EPL however, over a season always suffered bad results against the lower teams.

Really concerning comparison when you look at it as I genuinely think this lack of a winning edge and inability to raise it against shit in the league will never win us a league under him.

I genuinely hope he turns this around and wins it next season but I can’t see it happening now with his poor team selections, stubbornness with tactics and his visibly different reactions to games that some would deem less difficult or not so much showpiece.

Prove me wrong Steven and get us going please
Erm, but hes a born winner etc etc as all the fanboys on here were spouting on his appointment.
he has made us progress , but i fear he will not be able to get us over the line.

I fail to see how this compares to what is happening here and now? How then have serial winners like Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho who never even played the game managed to win league titles?

Gerrard was managed by winners though or guys who ultimately proved to be winners in the end. Rafa had already won a title with Valencia before taking the Liverpool job. The insane difference of levels between Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City are the reason Liverpool didn't win the league during Gerrard's time as captain. You aren't a team who can truly claim to be title contenders if you sell your best striker to your rivals midway through the season a la Torres.

Do you know who else won zero league titles as a player? Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Marcello Lippi, Massimiliano Allegri and those are just the ones that spring to mind. Doing these types of comparisons is ridiculous. I could rattle off an even longer list of names of managers who won next to nothing in the game as players before going into management. A manager's previous playing career usually has little to no bearing on how they'll fair as a manager or coach.

Edit: Rafa had won 2 La Liga Titles and a UEFA Cup with Valencia prior to joining Liverpool.

Last edited:
Gerrard was managed by winners though or guys who ultimately proved to be winners in the end. Rafa had already won a title with Valencia before taking the Liverpool job. The insane difference of levels between Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City are the reason Liverpool didn't win the league during Gerrard's time as captain. You aren't a team who can truly claim to be title contenders if you sell your best striker to your rivals midway through the season a la Torres.

Do you know who else won zero league titles as a player? Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, Marcello Lippi, Massimiliano Allegri and those are just the ones that spring to mind. Doing these types of comparisons is ridiculous. I could rattle off an even longer list of names of managers who won next to nothing in the game as players before going into management. A manager's previous playing career usually has little to no bearing on how they'll fair as a manager or coach.

aye its clutching at straws , its almost as if people forget how shite we were before he came in, and the fact we still havent fully recovered financially from what happened in 2012

Your comparing Gerrard the player undoubtedly one of the best players in his generation to Gerrard the Manager who is a rookie and needs experienced coaches round him and possibly it’s not working for him as we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.
One thing I can’t get my head around is how we can capitulate after the winter break and how we have regressed in a short space of time, we can look at the Manager and criticise but the players really have to take a hard look in the mirror as they are letting the Club and fans down with there performances.
Gerrard taking the Rangers job took balls and someone with belief that they can succeed and when you look back to where we were to now we have apart from Europe still fcking up domestically and it’s where the bread and butter is.
I we fail to get to the Scottish Cup Final it will be another disaster based on our players and budget outside the scum we should be beating the dross in front of us and implementing changes in tactics and formations etc to get results failing to do that the Gerrards tenure will come to an end imo.

aye its clutching at straws , its almost as if people forget how shite we were before he came in, and the fact we still havent fully recovered financially from what happened in 2012
This is a nutshell!

because we are playing in the SPL a lot of us want to believe that ”we are in it so we will win it”.

We all need to accept that we are still in recovery mode and that for a period the team we had to better in the league was the sheep.

The bheasts have been in our sights for the last 2 seasons and getting more competitive against them has been the target.

We are all impatient for Rangers to be a healthy winning football club again and imo if we had taken advantage of the situation we found ourselves back in 2012 and used young British footballers instead of some of the muppets we had then I think we would be in a stronger position than we find ourselves now.
Gerrard will win us a the SPL next season if we keep the core of the team together.

I don’t think his results as a player will have any effect on the ones as manager.

this team are more suited to European games because teams don’t sit with 10 men behind the ball kicking everything that moves.

bang on, and space is created where we make the pass forward not sideways or backwards as in the SPFL.

We should do training where 1 team is never is allowed past half way and asked other to get 3 goals a game.

This is a nutshell!

because we are playing in the SPL a lot of us want to believe that ”we are in it so we will win it”.

We all need to accept that we are still in recovery mode and that for a period the team we had to better in the league was the sheep.

The bheasts have been in our sights for the last 2 seasons and getting more competitive against them has been the target.

We are all impatient for Rangers to be a healthy winning football club again and imo if we had taken advantage of the situation we found ourselves back in 2012 and used young British footballers instead of some of the muppets we had then I think we would be in a stronger position than we find ourselves now.
Gerrard will win us a the SPL next season if we keep the core of the team together.

people are impatient, we are all about winning but i sometimes feel people dont want to forget what the other clubs did to us off the pitch but they completely forget the actual effect it had on us, a rangers team should be challenging and winning honours but thats in normal circumstances , we've been through a hell of a lot.

I agree with you OP 100%

They usually collapsed around January as well

I've got a feeling he's using the same training methods

It’s not irrelevant. He knows what good looks like in players and that is part of the job. What is different is all the decisions are his now and his decision making is the current issue. He just can’t ge blames for Katic failing the most basic defensive tasks but he can be blamed for picking him again this season except in emergency. He can be blamed for atrocious refereeing which has cost us the difference between 12 points and a couple and a league cup and he can’t be blamed for Alfredo constantly sitting in the bench. He will be measured by how he deals with this. He cannot stand by the same squad of players and trust them to win and another thing we should bin btw is this special relationship with helping Liverpool find a home for players they don’t rate and are nowhere near the character level we need at Glasgow Rangers. I also don’t want to hear him mention Liverpool again. We have McRorie for example on loan and Ojo on our bench. What would we give for a McRorie as an option in some of these midfield battles? Or a Docherty? He needs to understand the Scottish game and it’s priorities and hopefully use the rest of the season to wise up in that fir next year. I’m also in the 10 in a row is irrelevant camp. We need a long term structure, but yes we must start winning things and a trophy less season this year and next year would certainly be the end of SG.

They usually collapsed around January as well

I've got a feeling he's using the same training methods
I don’t think it’s the training. Its more not willing to change tactics and maybe , and a big maybe hes used to be out the running in February.

Prediction: Draw on Wednesday and progress. Lose on Saturday. Would sum up our season
Which ironically would improve his stock as a manager in the grand scheme of things.
From a Rangers perspective, it's now more important for Gerrard to win a domestic trophy than progress in Europe.
No domestic trophy by the end of next season and he's finished. Yet his Euro record would see him walk straight into another job.
Gerrard would have made a great assistant manager for us learning about the Scottish game whilst being in charge of Euro games.

I think Gerrards problem is he's been too loyal to certain players who just have not done well enough to be included in the first team week in week out.

Back