Gerrard urges fans to cut it out

Get this thread pinned. That’s it. We can and need to change. Gerrard understands that our fans are fantastic but these songs hurt our reputation; so much to the point that these songs are now going to hurt the team on Thursday

I don’t disagree but this is about getting a message across to an element of the support that will not listen.

They won’t listen to what they see as a random guy in a suit but they might listen to someone with the standing and level of respect as Steven Gerrard.

It’s thoroughly depressing but it’s the truth.

TMY, I've been on about this for years, we have to start somewhere and this looks like an opportunity. The CEO cannot be just another guy in a suit, he has to be a top-notch communicator, someone who these boys can relate to, will listen to and take heed of. He also needs to be able to operate at UEFA level. In fact, it probably needs to be, eventually, several people. But, Dave King cannot ignore this any longer , the club is rudderless in this area and being battered because of it.
Give the club a leader, Mr. King.

Sick of stressing this. Follow follow is the most sectarian song we have!!

I am not condoning the singing, just saying.

Were the same people offended by this?

0_SNS_19177118__Celtic_v_St_Johnstone.jpg

It's simple.

Keep singing the songs and sooner or later, not only will UEFA hit us harder but the manager will get so fed fúcking up of the support not listening to a single word he's saying and playing in front of empty stands that he'll head elsewhere.

Your choice Buckfast Brigade.
My biggest concern as well. He'll get sick of having to field these questions at press conferences, have fines or loss of revenue come out of his transfer budget or eventually one of his targets will privately/publically say they won't sign for us because of it; then I fear he will walk.

Foing by your logic we should drop

There is a chance, if we are talking about educating people then we need to keep it in our repertoire, it's a rousing anthem.

Take out up to our knees and replace with, we follow Glasgow Rangers, our hearts are strong and true, we are the Glasgow Rangers boys, then again the feminists may have something to say about boys!

For what it's worth, I play in the flute band, I am a Unionist and a protestant, I love loyalism and love singing the songs at loyalist evenings but when I go watch Rangers I genuinely dont want to sing about Celtc, the pope, Catholics, Bobby sands or the terrorists from Ireland, I want to sing pro Rangers and Unionist songs
See, here's where I have the issue. You say you want to sing Rangers songs and Unionist songs. Sure as god made little green apples someone will complain the unionists song are offensive against people who want independence. It's sadly the times we live in. Someone will get offended just to be different.

Who is it hanging him out to dry? I was under the definite impression it was a section of our support. I remember Walter Smith saying the same sort of thing as Gerrard. How about the fans just listen to the club and do what they ask?

Those whose responsibilty it is to represent the club's interests on non-football matters.
You reckon Gerrard thinks this is part of being a football manager? You think he hasn't enough on his plate with on-field matters?
The club needs a leader who these boys will listen to, not the football manager.

It's time to leave your religious and political beliefs in the house. We all have them but they no longer belong inside the stadium on match day. Rangers as a club are trying to change. We have a waiting list of over 13000 fans. Any fans who continue to let us all down should be identified and let another fan come in off the list who can act in a more responsive manner to the clubs wishes.

Those whose responsibilty it is to represent the club's interests on non-football matters.
You reckon Gerrard thinks this is part of being a football manager? You think he hasn't enough on his plate with on-field matters?
The club needs a leader who these boys will listen to, not the football manager.

They are more likely to listen to him than anyone else at the club.

There already is. I had it on a cassette tape when I was 8 and thought they were the actual words until I started going to games regularly.

"We'll do anything to see our team,
At Ibrox or away,
For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys"

A forum with club historians, players, ex players, directors and fans should really be set up to confirm a charter for rangers, nothing wrong singing about our founders, beliefs and traditions , but clearly a lot of the add ons and outdated pish has to go.

We really need to adopt new words as TBB is a great rousing anthem and get it endorsed by the club
It won't work mate no matter how the words are altered changed the wankers will only find an excuse to ban that as well, might as well face facts the TBB is finished we cant win but we need to go on the attack play the bastards at there own game.

That's true as I've already acknowledged, that's because the club is leaderless in these areas.

I am sure there will be a strongly worded press release on this which will refer to the campaign we launched a couple of years ago.

Maybe the club need to just start banning fans en masse when they shout/sing the various things - otherwise this is only going to get worse and worse.

I am sure there will be a strongly worded press release on this which will refer to the campaign we launched a couple of years ago.

Maybe the club need to just start banning fans en masse when they shout/sing the various things - otherwise this is only going to get worse and worse.
LB, that alone won't work. 'strongly worded press releases' are pissin' in the wind. The club needs to get out in front of this and be proactive. The old boolin' club committee approach is failing us.

LB, that alone won't work. 'strongly worded press releases' are pissin' in the wind. The club needs to get out in front of this and be proactive. The old boolin' club committee approach is failing us.

I’m not sure press conferences will do it either, but i’d say get on the pitch and say it, get leaflets back on every seat again, keep the adverts going and take proper action against transgressors.

But, the cultural change needs to come from the fan base, it needs to be unacceptable to the wider support rather than quietly tolerated.

I'm amazed at all the debate and bickering over this. The support as a collective have been asked by the club not to do it and the club has faced sanctions over it.

Does it need to be any clearer? If you have any interest in Rangers succeeding and mainting its status as a top club, this shit needs to end.
We want full houses. We want the club to benefit both on and off the pitch. We don't want the club and supporters reputation to suffer.

Hasnt Gerrard had meetings with the megaphone guy of the UB before if so it could be done again to try and hammer the point home however that would do little to combat the pish and drugged up who attend our games and spout the bile

Ross with the megaphone doesn’t start the banned songs

I suspect it’s folk in the section that started them against St Joseph’s and it spread from there

Ross with the megaphone doesn’t start the banned songs

I suspect it’s folk in the section that started them against St Joseph’s and it spread from there

We need to convince the UBs that, rightly or wrongly, they are being blamed for this and help them self-police. The boys need to sort this out but the club must give them every assistance.
However, given all the cameras focused on these guys how the hell haven't the culprits been identified?

Time’s up.....
I could hear it loud and clear in Warsaw after the match had finished.
It is rousing but the BB’s day is done.
It really is time to move on.

Not complicated. %^*& the pope and the Vatican.

Are you at the wind up ? I have in my possession an original vinyl of follow follow and those words are nowhere near the song.

Are we now just to surrender our main club song because some Fannie’s sing add ons ? We’d be as well chucking it altogether if that’s the case .

ANY song could have addons added .

You know full well that isn’t the words to followfollow .

A
BB, that's undoubtedly true of these execs. That's why we need a CEO who will defend the club's interests on and off the pitch and that includes getting into these boys heads.
King needs to accept what's afoot here.
And what exactly do you want defended?
The Club have made it clear on countless occasions that FANS behaviour is under the spotlight and we, the FANS are so dumb that we are unable to behave like decent citizens.
And FFS don't bother replying with a reference to behaviour else where.

Are you at the wind up ? I have in my possession an original vinyl of follow follow and those words are nowhere near the song.

Are we now just to surrender our main club song because some Fannie’s sing add ons ? We’d be as well chucking it altogether if that’s the case .

ANY song could have addons added .

You know full well that isn’t the words to followfollow .
Exactly! That's my point. It's the words the fans sing that are getting us in trouble. Those words are FTP and the Vatican. I have been writing to the club for 2 years now, asking them to highlight this and get the fans singing the correct words. No Dundee Hamilton.

Wake
We really need to adopt new words as TBB is a great rousing anthem and get it endorsed by the club
Wake up.. there are no acceptable words once that tune is sung and do you really trust the two morons in front of you who have spent the game slugging their bottle of Bucky to be smart/sober enough to be able to remember 'good' words?

Instead of up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood, could the words “we’ve been around for one hundred and fifty years” be heavily promoted by the club as a counter to the naughty version? It’s our most rousing chant and to loose it completely would be a real shame. Also Super Rangers could be adapted simply from “we hate Celtic 19th Century Terrorist bastards to “we hate Celtic because we are Rangers”.My views on Bobby Sands and the IRA and the pope are, just stop singing about them. There’s now no place in society for this anymore. I think with simple word changes and promote to fan base that they are acceptable could see these words taken on, and as time gos on the now unacceptable words will fade with time.

It is 2019 - the world has changed in so many ways. We each have family, friends, colleagues whom we love and care about from all different backgrounds. Yet many of our fans throw modern thinking out the window and continually sing songs that belong in the dark ages.

Respect our players, respect your friends, respect your family but above all respect yourself - do not sing these songs - they help nobody and breed nothing but hate and division.

Exactly! That's my point. It's the words the fans sing that are getting us in trouble. Those words are FTP and the Vatican. I have been writing to the club for 2 years now, asking them to highlight this and get the fans singing the correct words. No Dundee Hamilton.

Ah so we are on the same page . Ok , I see where you are coming from .

And I agree , my version on vinyl doesn’t even mention Dublin it says “ even unto Europe we will follow on “ which is perfect .

I honestly hope we use this moment as one where we shed forever the irrelevant , inane songbook that has dragged us into the gutter for years .

No more bobby sands , IRA , Pope , none of it . Lose the baggage .

Here’s the reality though, the people who let us down will continue to do so and there’s nothing the club and manager can do about it.

So how on earth can we be held accountable?

TBB is the most rousing anthem ive heard from any club but i fear that even if there were new words some amongst our support would still revert back to type, too many great rangers songs are spoiled by add ons which we all know are unacceptable and for every step forward our club make we get pulled back yet again

That's because the exec team lacks someone who the fans identify as a leader, the club needs that 'someone'?

John Brown. It will take someone on his level of commitment to Rangers to make people listen. Even at that, some will still just choose not hear.

Let’s get it right, Lawwels dark shadow is far reaching, he has influence far and wide. If we don’t stop giving his placemen the opportunity, this will spread from 3000 seats To ground closure, the SPFL will then take it up, and the endgame is points deduction.

That is exactly the direction of travel.

I do sometimes think we give slitty eyes too much credit, but John Reid definitely forged the UEFA irons with which we are now being burned.

Anyway, we are where we are now and as much as it bugs me, these songs and add-ons have to go.

The 50p flute song being a classic example of a song that everyone and their dog knows full well can only end with us being sanctioned.

It’s got to stop. I genuinely think the time is fast approaching where King and the board will be forced into aiming all the CVTV cameras at our own fans.

Mate they’ll not listen to anyone. They really won’t. Just check the responses to the threads in here. They’re STILL trying to defend themselves against the utterly indefensible

It needs more than a statement. The club needs to engage with supporters and get an agreement. Once that's in place anyone stepping out of line will do so against the will of the majority.

Im not against statements per se but this requires meaningful dialogue and participation. I fear this wont happen and we'll end up in even more trouble in the future.

Absolutely embarrassing that our manager even has to give the type of warning you’d think would only be doled out to 10 year olds.

This is where having a high profile manager backfires too, it’s a great thing until he’s having to plead with brainless neds not to cripple the club.

Back