Gerrard urges fans to cut it out

A

And what exactly do you want defended?
The Club have made it clear on countless occasions that FANS behaviour is under the spotlight and we, the FANS are so dumb that we are unable to behave like decent citizens.
And FFS don't bother replying with a reference to behaviour else where.

You're not really giving this a lot of thought are you? Are you on the board?

John Brown. It will take someone on his level of commitment to Rangers to make people listen. Even at that, some will still just choose not hear.

John's heart is in the right place but Im not sure he's got the intellectual capacity to pull this off. This is not a criticism. We need someone like the guy from The Thick of It.

John Brown. It will take someone on his level of commitment to Rangers to make people listen. Even at that, some will still just choose not hear.

I now believe we need more than one person on this and that's a terrific suggestion, LG. Bomber is certainly worth trying as the fans representative. However the club needs a leader, I hate saying it but we need a respectable Lawell.

Wake

Wake up.. there are no acceptable words once that tune is sung and do you really trust the two morons in front of you who have spent the game slugging their bottle of Bucky to be smart/sober enough to be able to remember 'good' words?

I'm awake alright, if we have 40000 singing the correct words then the rest will be drowned out and will soon get the message.

From four lads twitter:

People asking for clarity & guidance from the club about songs

Stop using the word 19th Century Terrorist in it’s entirety

Any add ons that has ‘%^*& the pope or IRA’

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

Like it or not - that’s the clarity

Exactly! That's my point. It's the words the fans sing that are getting us in trouble. Those words are FTP and the Vatican. I have been writing to the club for 2 years now, asking them to highlight this and get the fans singing the correct words. No Dundee Hamilton.

Agree 100%.

I remember starting a thread on here a long time ago on exactly this issue

Follow Follow in it’s original form simply repeated the line “follow follow we will follow Rangers” just before the line about “if we go to Dublin we will follow on”.

As a kid, I never remember any mention of Dundee or Hamilton, which we all know was much more recently shoehorned in just to try and find something, anything, that would rhyme with f*ck the pope in/and the Vatican”

I ran a poll on it and almost everyone voted for the old version. However, the thread was full of defeatist comments about it being futile to try and change things.

Well, the time has arrived where we MUST change things. Failure to do so, the club is going to suffer ever increasing punishments. Rangers really need to take a lead on this now.

Last edited:
12 hours after asking for a great atmosphere and support next Thursday in an effort to get us into the Group Stages... we've got this.

All a bit sad. We never seem to be able to just enjoy the football.

Indeed. That's the atmosphere trashed. Fans wont be sure what to sing just in case its not acceptable.

It's simple.

Keep singing the songs and sooner or later, not only will UEFA hit us harder but the manager will get so fed fúcking up of the support not listening to a single word he's saying and playing in front of empty stands that he'll head elsewhere.

Your choice Buckfast Brigade.
Was thinking that myself mate,what must the non Scots in our team must be thinking

Agree 100%.

I remember starting anthread on here a long time ago on exactly this issue

Follow Follow I’m it’s original form simply repeated “follow follow we will follow Rangers” just before the line about “if we go to Dublin we will follow on”.

As a kid, I never remember any mention of Dundee or Hamilton, which we all know was much more recently shoehorned in just to try and find something, anything, that would rhyme with f*ck the pope in the Vatican”

I ran a poll on it and almost everyone voted for the old version. However, the thread was full of defeatist comments about it being futile to try and change things.

Well, the time has arrived where we MUST change things. Failure to do so, the club is going to suffer ever increasing punishments. Rangers really need to take a lead on this now.

Good post. Can we sort Derry Walls as well? That's assuming we're allowed to sing this.

Where's the rest of our execs? Gerrard is the football manager, he shouldn't be the only one tackling this.
More chance fans will listen to him than a Director they dont identify with. The bad songs need to stop, no where else to turn. 3000 less fans is what £100,000 income lost ? Playing behind closed doors must be a couple million £'s lost at least, seats plus hospitality. The neds need to pay attention or stay away.

When that applies to all clubs, absoloutely.
Irrelevant- Celtics apologists have bern able to create a narrative that 19th Century Terrorist equals catholic and therefore when we sing about hating 19th Century Terrorists or being up to our knees in their blood this equates to us feeling the same towards Catholics and us therefore highly discriminatory in their eyes

Its their ball

Irrelevant- Celtics apologists have bern able to create a narrative that 19th Century Terrorist equals catholic and therefore when we sing about hating 19th Century Terrorists or being up to our knees in their blood this equates to us feeling the same towards Catholics and us therefore highly discriminatory in their eyes

Its their ball

It's just astonishing that this narrative has never been challenged.

I'd genuinely like to ask anyone who knows, because I don't, what the legal outcome of someone using the word 19th Century Terrorist is. Are people prosecuted with a Sectarian crime? Even though it flies in the face of the word's definition.

I have a degree in Irish history. I'd be taken aback if I was told in court that I must have thought the word meant "Catholic".

How can it be sectarian in one instance and not in the other?

Its their ball

Unfortunately, this is probably right.

We won’t win a fight with UEFA.

I'd genuinely like to ask anyone who knows, because I don't, what the legal outcome of someone using the word 19th Century Terrorist is. Are people prosecuted with a Sectarian crime? Even though it flies in the face of the word's definition.

I have a degree in Irish history. I'd be taken aback if I was told in court that I must have thought the word meant "Catholic".

As an aside, this is an excellent post as well.

Battling against UEFA on this issue right now is probably a losing battle.

However, we really need people like you with relevant expertise to help open up this line of debate and challenge the assumption that 19th Century Terrorist = catholic.

Until that debate is had and won, though, we genuinely need to buckle under to UEFAs will.

A bear has already been jailed for using 19th Century Terrorist IIRC.

12 hours after asking for a great atmosphere and support next Thursday in an effort to get us into the Group Stages... we've got this.

All a bit sad. We never seem to be able to just enjoy the football.
Superb point mate , After all that has been done to the club in recent times , we finally get back to where we should be , and then this , no one will tell me this doesn’t stink .

Just wait till the usual suspects come to this thread.

"Al no be told what ah can sing "
And there endeth the lesson.We have too many fu%$n morons in our support that they will see this as a joke and stick 2 fingers up to the club they profess to love.Fu$k right off out my club.

I'm awake alright, if we have 40000 singing the correct words then the rest will be drowned out and will soon get the message.
I admire your confidence however what would you suggest at the piggery when only 800 bears get to go and 10/15% decide to go “traditional “ ?

Those whose responsibilty it is to represent the club's interests on non-football matters.
You reckon Gerrard thinks this is part of being a football manager? You think he hasn't enough on his plate with on-field matters?
The club needs a leader who these boys will listen to, not the football manager.
Give it a rest, he was asked the question at the press conference, and he gave a great response. The club have also issued a statement regarding the singing. So let’s be clear the manager was not hung out to dry by anyone at the club.

And there endeth the lesson.We have too many fu%$n morons in our support that they will see this as a joke and stick 2 fingers up to the club they profess to love.Fu$k right off out my club.

Quite a number of them are expressing the FU option in this thread.
More disagree with my posts, similar to yours, than agree.

Quite a number of them are expressing the FU option in this thread.
More disagree with my posts, similar to yours, than agree.
I really dont know where you go with it other than employ a security company to weed these c#nts out and take their tickets off them.The sensible ones wint want to grass them up so that's the only way I can see to at least look pro active.These c*nts dont care about the club,rather use it as a vehicle to sing the 12th July songbook.

Exactly. I wonder if they'll still be laughing when they've got Ibrox closed or worse kicked out Europe while they're on to 10iar+ and we can't catch them due to financial reasons.

But at least they can still sing some songs eh.

From four lads twitter:

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

That's from Four Lads, not UEFA. I think only their first point is likely to be correct without reasonable challenge, but their advice is good if they want to be totally covered.

Exactly. I wonder if they'll still be laughing when they've got Ibrox closed or worse kicked out Europe while they're on to 10iar+ and we can't catch them due to financial reasons.

But at least they can still sing some songs eh.
The way I see it is the club must now interact with the UB as they are mostly the catalyst for songs.Im not blaming them but they must be educated as the stadium mostly takes off their lead.They are given what's acceptable and unacceptable and see what happens.I think if they started every song which is acceptable it would solve the problem.

I find this whole thing sad.
I'm church of Scotland, I attend church, there are things about the Catholic church I don't like but in my mind I separate that from my love of rangers as a football club.
I don't like Celtic, as a fan group I don't like them, but on a person by person basis I treat people as I find them regardless of creed or religion and wish nobody real harm.

Whilst on the club 1872 board I sat in on a meeting with the union bears. I obviously knew them as an outside observer but had no idea of internal workings. I was impressed by some of the individuals and what they were saying. I then challenged one on cutting out the songs or words which were damaging the club and there was an attitude of defiance and the stance of we should be able to sing these songs.
I see that this rhetoric is often used by fans on follow follow. It's our heritage, we should be able to sing what we want, Celtic get away with IRA songs, etc.
Just stop there, and think for a second, your stubbornness to change is hurting the thing we all care about the most, our football club.

I'm proud to be a rangers fan, I was brought up believing rangers were better, we always acted with decorum, have we lost that now when all that matters is we can sing songs about Catholics and not care about the consequences to the club or to our fellow fans.

Let's please unite and focus upon doing what's best for rangers, its really not that hard to drop words or certain songs, rise above Celtic and don't allow it to be the rod that for right or wrong we will always be beaten by.

The amount of people on these threads trying to hide behind semantics, whataboutery abd clarity is fucking sickening. You know what songs aren’t appropriate, you don’t need a board member to spell it out for you and in this instance it doesn’t matter a %^*& what the mob across the city are doing. This is about what’s been happening in our stadium by our fans and the repercussions if it continues. It simply has to stop and stop now.

I really dont know where you go with it other than employ a security company to weed these c#nts out and take their tickets off them.The sensible ones wint want to grass them up so that's the only way I can see to at least look pro active.These c*nts dont care about the club,rather use it as a vehicle to sing the 12th July songbook.
Yes.
I’ve only got back to Ibrox regularly last season and this and was struck by how the song book had largely improved to be singing about Rangers rather than historical stuff.
However I cannot believe how much booze is being taken into the ground and how throughly useless the stewards are in noticing much less preventing it coming in.

The way I see it is the club must now interact with the UB as they are mostly the catalyst for songs.Im not blaming them but they must be educated as the stadium mostly takes off their lead.They are given what's acceptable and unacceptable and see what happens.I think if they started every song which is acceptable it would solve the problem.

Doubt that'll happen.

Now we can see why the club won't entertain the idea of moving them or putting forward the idea of safe standing in that area.

When that applies to all clubs, absoloutely.
‘All’ clubs have not just had this punitive punishment with the threat of much more serious sanctions not to mention the reputational damage.
So how about focusing on what WE do. It’s the intelligent option.

From four lads twitter:

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

Your not getting many likes.
Too much clarity and sense for many

TBB must stay, fantastic anthem that gets the ground rocking. If the Club got together with Club 1872 and other fan groups, changed a few lyrics and handed out leaflets, released statements along with word of mouth and a bit of self policing, it absolutely can be done!

I find this whole thing sad.
I'm church of Scotland, I attend church, there are things about the Catholic church I don't like but in my mind I separate that from my love of rangers as a football club.
I don't like Celtic, as a fan group I don't like them, but on a person by person basis I treat people as I find them regardless of creed or religion and wish nobody real harm.

Whilst on the club 1872 board I sat in on a meeting with the union bears. I obviously knew them as an outside observer but had no idea of internal workings. I was impressed by some of the individuals and what they were saying. I then challenged one on cutting out the songs or words which were damaging the club and there was an attitude of defiance and the stance of we should be able to sing these songs.
I see that this rhetoric is often used by fans on follow follow. It's our heritage, we should be able to sing what we want, Celtic get away with IRA songs, etc.
Just stop there, and think for a second, your stubbornness to change is hurting the thing we all care about the most, our football club.

I'm proud to be a rangers fan, I was brought up believing rangers were better, we always acted with decorum, have we lost that now when all that matters is we can sing songs about Catholics and not care about the consequences to the club or to our fellow fans.

Let's please unite and focus upon doing what's best for rangers, its really not that hard to drop words or certain songs, rise above Celtic and don't allow it to be the rod that for right or wrong we will always be beaten by.

Interesting and reasoned post sir.
It will never catch on sadly.

We cannot risk losing our manager Steven Gerrard over and issue like this.

It’s up to the club and the fans to genuinely get together and map out a new path for the future.

Here we go again going round in f@cking circles with the same old shit! The club’s repeated requests to fans not to sing certain stuff is not enough! It’s time to get together with supporters and have a serious conversation about this issue, if that doesn’t happen it’s definitely going to be stand closures, matches behind closed doors, fines bans and points deductions.

We all KNOW UEFA is corrupt, selective and inconsistent in these matters but the club is never going to argue that case because it’s a tyranny that can’t be defeated so you just have to accept their rules and do everything to protect against more sanctions.

MORE needs to be done as we’ll back here again sooner or later facing more severe consequences. It’s another great day for our enemies, they are loving this and it’s a sickener for decent bears who are going to miss out because we still have people in our support who give our enemies exactly what they want.

TBB must stay, fantastic anthem that gets the ground rocking. If the Club got together with Club 1872 and other fan groups, changed a few lyrics and handed out leaflets, released statements along with word of mouth and a bit of self policing, it absolutely can be done!

If you ignore the fact UEFA have banned it in all its forms then I guess so.

From four lads twitter:

‘No pope of Rome’
‘50p Flute song’
‘The Billy Boys’

Which again begs the question, why are the club using 4lads as their mouthpiece?

Back